Can't say for sure what the update was... i *think* it was an Android security update, but all i know is that something updated itself overnight on 2017/12/14 and the phone rebooted itself.

Since then, my touch screen often hangs. Slide-out keyboard still works, but when i can press any icons on the screen the keyboard doesn't help. Only thing i can do is hold the power button to force a reboot. It will take 2 or 3 reboots before the touch screen works again. Sometimes i have to do it 10 or 15 times.

Recently it's been getting worse, and the phone is becoming unusable.

Anyone else seen this?

Any idea how to isolate the offending app?

(i've seen suggestions elsewhere for booting in "safe mode", but when the touch screen doesn't work there is no way to "Touch and hold on Power off until the safe mode prompt appears, then tap OK.")
    02-21-18 12:45 AM
    Can't say for sure what the update was... i *think* it was an Android security update, but all i know is that something updated itself overnight on 2017/12/14 and the phone rebooted itself.

Since then, my touch screen often hangs. Slide-out keyboard still works, but when i can press any icons on the screen the keyboard doesn't help. Only thing i can do is hold the power button to force a reboot. It will take 2 or 3 reboots before the touch screen works again. Sometimes i have to do it 10 or 15 times.

Recently it's been getting worse, and the phone is becoming unusable.

Anyone else seen this?

Any idea how to isolate the offending app?

(i've seen suggestions elsewhere for booting in "safe mode", but when the touch screen doesn't work there is no way to "Touch and hold on Power off until the safe mode prompt appears, then tap OK.")
    The only thing I can suggest is trying to reboot until you can use Safe Mode.

The more drastic option would be to fully reload the OS and see if that fixes things.

Good luck.
    02-21-18 09:08 AM