Anyone have tips on what changes to make to reduce the heat issue?

My priv gets hot as hell doing basic things like texting a lot or basic apps like Twitter eyc

I haven't had battery drain yet, but any tips for that too would be great.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-10-16 10:17 PM
    I have an ATT Priv. I updated it to the latest september patch. I never had any heat issue. The only time it heated up was during the update installation which is normal and it still wasnt hot at all, just a litlle friendly warm. But other than that battery wise I get 6hrs sot everyday. And if I leave the phone on sleep it barely loses only 2% during over 8hrs which is insane. I have to day the best tip you can get is to always update your Priv to the latest update.

09-10-16 10:49 PM
    Apps that use GPS tend to produce more heat than others.
    09-10-16 11:12 PM
    Turn off your gps, wifi, and data network.
    09-10-16 11:25 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what updates it installed but after the latest ones, my Priv no longer heats up. I haven't changed my usage patterns either. Very happy about this!
    09-10-16 11:44 PM
    Perhaps OP can try to do a 12-sec or 30-sec reboot after the update to do a clean restart?

09-11-16 12:27 AM
    Games that utilize a large amount of RAM contribute to the heat, too. I realize, of course, there are a number that use the Priv as a strictly only business device. Sometimes I use it to unwind (which helps me to be a better business person). ☺

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    09-11-16 12:39 AM
    Tips for saving data and battery
    Move location on / off to settings shortcut screen, then leave location OFF unless you are actually using it.
    (If it's on the shortcut screen, it's quick and easy to toggle on and off)
    Open Settings Data, make sure Queue Cellular Data is ON
    On the same screen, scroll down the apps, anything that does not need to be logging onto the cellular network when it is closed and not being used, (that would be almost all of them) need to be restricted -tap on the app, data usage for that app will appear, along with a toggle to Restrict app background data. (I'm looking at Chrome on that screen now - does it need to log onto the cellular net and report whateve rback to Google, while it's in my pocket and not being used? I think not!) Note that it will work as normal when I open it, as it is no longer background, until I close it.
    An example of an app that needs background data would be whatever weather app you might be using.

Open Location, tap the 3 dot, (whatever it's called) tap Scanning turn Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning OFF. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will still work as normal, it's just no longer constantly looking for other possible connections. If you connect to a lot of different and new public Wi-Fi, you might want to leave Wi-Fi scanning ON, though it has no effect on hotspots already set up.

If you have a lot of apps, and open one that happens to be power intensive, it's not just that app using power, you also have the 4 or 6 or 10 other apps running background adding to the drain.

There are other ways to conserve battery without crippling phone, the above saves battery and data.
    Last edited by Wezard; 09-11-16 at 08:10 AM.
    09-11-16 07:59 AM
    Great ideas. Just want to add that turn off as many auto syncing as possible, emails, messages, calendar etc. They get pushed without syncing in the background and the Hub syncs them each time you launch it. Also limit the sync interval to some reasonable time period. If you can stomach the accessibility permission, you can also install apps like Greenify to hibernate background running apps that you don't need.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    09-11-16 08:34 AM
    Tips for saving data and battery
    Move location on / off to settings shortcut screen, then leave location OFF unless you are actually using it.
    (If it's on the shortcut screen, it's quick and easy to toggle on and off)
    Open Settings Data, make sure Queue Cellular Data is ON
    On the same screen, scroll down the apps, anything that does not need to be logging onto the cellular network when it is closed and not being used, (that would be almost all of them) need to be restricted -tap on the app, data usage for that app will appear, along with a toggle to Restrict app background data. (I'm looking at Chrome on that screen now - does it need to log onto the cellular net and report whateve rback to Google, while it's in my pocket and not being used? I think not!) Note that it will work as normal when I open it, as it is no longer background, until I close it.
    An example of an app that needs background data would be whatever weather app you might be using.

Open Location, tap the 3 dot, (whatever it's called) tap Scanning turn Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning OFF. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will still work as normal, it's just no longer constantly looking for other possible connections. If you connect to a lot of different and new public Wi-Fi, you might want to leave Wi-Fi scanning ON, though it has no effect on hotspots already set up.

If you have a lot of apps, and open one that happens to be power intensive, it's not just that app using power, you also have the 4 or 6 or 10 other apps running background adding to the drain.

There are other ways to conserve battery without crippling phone, the above saves battery and data.
    Thanks Wezard. I can't seem to find a shortcut for turning on and off GPS and some of the other options around disabling data access on some apps don't seem to be available. I am on Verizon using Lollipop so maybe some of these options only apply to Marshmallow?

Posted via PRIV on Verizon - not as good as my Passport but getting there
    09-11-16 08:54 AM
    Thanks Wezard. I can't seem to find a shortcut for turning on and off GPS and some of the other options around disabling data access on some apps don't seem to be available. I am on Verizon using Lollipop so maybe some of these options only apply to Marshmallow?

Actually I figured out the shortcut to location settings , not the others yet, still learning my way around Android.

09-11-16 09:18 AM
    I am on Verizon using Lollipop so maybe some of these options only apply to Marshmallow?
    Sorry, meant to note that some of these are only available on Marshmallow.
    Apparently system UI, needed to move customize quick setting screen is also Marshmallow only.

For ya'll not on Verizon, here's a good instructional for using UI Tuner, it's already on your phone, just hidden.
    Not sure how you managed to change shortcut menu on Lollipop, please let the rest the Lollipop users know.
    09-11-16 10:10 AM
    Actually I figured out the shortcut to location settings , not the others yet, still learning my way around Android.

If you could post that shortcut method it might help others. Thanks.
    09-11-16 11:03 AM
    Anyone have tips on what changes to make to reduce the heat issue?

My priv gets hot as hell doing basic things like texting a lot or basic apps like Twitter eyc

I haven't had battery drain yet, but any tips for that too would be great.

The major batter drain is usually caused by screen brightness set too high and google account sync.

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2252 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    09-11-16 01:04 PM
    The major batter drain is usually caused by screen brightness set too high and google account sync.

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2252 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    Boy, can I attest to that. The other day I was out and opened the Kindle app but the sun was quite bright and so I upped the screen brightness to about 70% and could almost watch the battery drain!!
    09-11-16 02:27 PM
    If you could post that shortcut method it might help others. Thanks.
    Hit the main App button then go to shortcuts, then scroll down to 'other' and select 'settings shortcut ' when you drop it on your home page it opens and there you can select 'location'. Once you select it you get the location shortcut on your main screen

Passport on ATT or Priv on Verizon
    FF22 likes this.
    09-11-16 03:13 PM
    Hit the main App button then go to shortcuts, then scroll down to 'other' and select 'settings shortcut ' when you drop it on your home page it opens and there you can select 'location'. Once you select it you get the location shortcut on your main screen

Passport on ATT or Priv on Verizon
    Oh, very tricky - You get to SELECT ONE setting as you drop it into place. Although I guess this is like some other widgets where you need to set them up as you initially open/use them. I guess you can set up multiples - they have the same icon but different names. What happened as I first did it, I accidentally hit the Battery one which established that as the setting.
    09-11-16 03:23 PM
    In my opinion having a smartphone and then turning everything off is kind of a pity.
    09-11-16 04:34 PM
    Apparently doesn't work on Marshmallow,or perhaps I'm not following the directions properly. If I understand you correctly, it puts the location ON/OFF toggle on the home screen? That would be nice, best I've been able to do is get it on the settings shortcut menu, as in 2 finger swipe down and it sits beside airplane mode, auto rotate and some others.

upped the screen brightness to about 70% and could almost watch the battery drain!!
    Hey F2, did you ever try Velis, the screen brightness control app? Don't think it will help battery much, but man it really keeps the brightness in your chosen sweet spot, without the annoying slow response to changing ambient.
    09-11-16 04:42 PM
    Apparently doesn't work on Marshmallow,or perhaps I'm not following the directions properly. If I understand you correctly, it puts the location ON/OFF toggle on the home screen? That would be nice, best I've been able to do is get it on the settings shortcut menu, as in 2 finger swipe down and it sits beside airplane mode, auto rotate and some others.

Hey F2, did you ever try Velis, the screen brightness control app? Don't think it will help battery much, but man it really keeps the brightness in your chosen sweet spot, without the annoying slow response to changing ambient.
    Regarding the Location Setting, I'm on LP or is it LL! But go down to that Settings Shortcut, drag it to an open spot on a homescreen. As it is dropped it opens a list of various Settings including Location and near the bottom of the list Wifi and others in the middle. At least, on Lollipop. Select one and that becomes the shortcut. I did it again and added wifi (since yesterday I was having trouble with it).

I tamper with screen brightness very little - the bright sun situations and then back to quite low. But others seem to really like Velis. I should give it a look.
    09-11-16 04:55 PM
    Regarding the Location Setting,
    Don't think there is a settings shortcut, except for gestures. And even that will only bring put some kind of Google directions thing.
    09-11-16 04:59 PM
    Don't think there is a settings shortcut, except for gestures. And even that will only bring put some kind of Google directions thing.
    Nope, that's the "other location" thingie!

Here's where you can switch it off:

Tips for reducing heat and battery drain on Priv?-screenshot_2016-09-11-16-49-56.jpg

At the top and it shows what's using Location and it can be toggled OFF.
    09-11-16 06:57 PM
    Nope, that's the "other location" thingie!

Here's where you can switch it off:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-11-16-49-56.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	408193

At the top and it shows what's using Location and it can be toggled OFF.
    Are we on different pages here? I know where that one is, buts it's like 4 or 5 different actions to get to it. And you sure can't move it anywhere. I guess it's two different OS's rather than pages Anyway stuff has definitely been moved around, and I just can't remember how Lollipop works.
    09-11-16 07:16 PM
    Try using snapchat. Recently tried it and it's the only app that causes my Priv to get hot.

09-11-16 08:03 PM
    In my opinion having a smartphone and then turning everything off is kind of a pity.
    Kinda yes but you just toggle the things you need, when you need them. Some things are always on, the rest you just turn on and off "as and when". A bit like driving a car; you have the engine on all of the time, but the fog lights, indicators, electric demister, horn, etc, etc just get used when necessary.
    Wezard likes this.
    09-12-16 04:21 AM
32 12