I bought a Priv through/via VZW about 12 months after it came out. I was happy as can be first, but very quickly, VZW "dropped" the Priv -- they stopped stocking it, eventually stopped supporting it, and no longer were offering any tech support. So, as has happened before, I use my device, I do the best I can to maintain it, keep it running clean, etc. -- but I can only do so much without tech support, because, I am a tech id**t, LOL.

So, today, the Priv is -- what I think -- dying a slow death. LOL. In almost every app I use, email, chrome, text messages, google, etc., I get the message that whatever app "is not working" and offers me a choice to wait or close the app. The device freezes every 2 days. It's slow. The battery is poor. And on and on and on and on. Not only does VZW not offer any support, neither does my IT department. No one there knows BB at all! LOL.

So, here's my question -- if it's time to move on, what should I move on to? Here's my requirements:
    1) I want a physical keyboard
    2) I'd like to use the device for more than just a phone, email, calendar, texting -- I'd like to read, surf the web, do some banking, pay some bills, etc. I'd like to graduate into the 21st century, LOL.
    3) Strong battery life, decent accessories, good memory, etc.
    4) I am willing to move from VZW to ATT, even if I have to BYOD.

I am not a road warrior, but I'd like a device that won't be a dinosaur inside of a year! LOL.

Lastly, if I gave up the PKB, what's the new state of the art BB out there now? Thank you very much in advance.
    nuffznuff likes this.
    03-14-19 01:42 PM
    Lastly, if I gave up the PKB, what's the new state of the art BB out there now?
    There are no NEW BlackBerry devices without a keyboard. Meeting your criteria, you can go with:

KEY2 LE - Certified for VZW use and GSM carriers.
    KEY2 - NOT certified for VZW (but you might still be able to get it to work), works on GSM carriers.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    03-14-19 03:24 PM
    I'm in Canada (eh) and so can't speak to carrier preference, but I went from a PRIV to Key2 and am LOVING it.

I didn't bother to do any customization / optimization on the Key2 like I did on the PRIV. I routinely get two full days, although I don't spend a lot of time on it - don't normally stream anything.

Mine is a recent model with SIX GIG! of RAM and so it's very fast.

Screen is plenty fine for watching stuff, reading books, etc. It's slimmer than the PRIV which is nice.

I've also head good things about the LE as well.
    03-14-19 03:54 PM
    Have you even tried to clear the cache ?
    Tech Idiot and Blackberrydz like this.
    03-14-19 06:38 PM
    I'm still rocking the PRIV. I definitely want a great display, which includes being an AMOLED and large. So the Key2 or LE is a compromise I don't want to pay for.
    There is one PKB phone that has sparked my interest: the F(x)tec Pro¹. Qwerty slider like the PRIV, though landscape rather than portrait and certainly not a BlackBerry.
    03-14-19 08:39 PM
    There are no NEW BlackBerry devices without a keyboard. Meeting your criteria, you can go with:

KEY2 LE - Certified for VZW use and GSM carriers.
    KEY2 - NOT certified for VZW (but you might still be able to get it to work), works on GSM carriers.
    Thank you...I was thinking about jumping ship, going to ATT, and getting the Key2. That still would be a BYOD situation, right?

Are people doing OK with that? All of the features are available? Call quality, reception, etc., is good? Is it using minutes on the calling plan, or is it wi-fi calling? Thanks in advance.
    03-14-19 10:46 PM
    Have you even tried to clear the cache ?
    It's a long, drawn out process, but I spend the time and go through it, one by one. It doesn't seem to help much. I also do the "hard" re-set/re-boot every week (where you power off and hold down the power button for about 45 seconds).

Is there any other general maintenance or "tune up" type things I should be doing? Also, since VZW won't help, is there a service I can get to do that? Geek Squad? Thanks.
    03-14-19 10:49 PM
    I had an AT&T branded PRIV since launch and used it 3 years until it was time to move on. I purchased a KEY2 in October and use it BYOD on AT&T.

Bob
    03-15-19 06:10 PM
    Same, I want to keep my Priv cause it is just two phones in one! Big screen and PKB! What an awesome device
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    03-15-19 08:38 PM
    Thank you...I was thinking about jumping ship, going to ATT, and getting the Key2. That still would be a BYOD situation, right?

Are people doing OK with that? All of the features are available? Call quality, reception, etc., is good? Is it using minutes on the calling plan, or is it wi-fi calling? Thanks in advance.
    So it depends on the plan for ATT. The only plan I know of using minutes is a prepaid plan and it does not support WiFi calling on any device. I am not too sure about their post paid plans since I use ATT prepaid formerly ATT/Cingular gophone
    03-16-19 08:06 AM
    So it depends on the plan for ATT. The only plan I know of using minutes is a prepaid plan and it does not support WiFi calling on any device. I am not too sure about their post paid plans since I use ATT prepaid formerly ATT/Cingular gophone
    No BBMo Key unlocked phones have access to AT&T enhanced calling features such as WFC or VoLTE for now. This is what I’ve been told by AT&T tech support. I have a postpaid multi-line account with carrier sold and locked AT&T KEYone and it has VoLTE but not WFC feature.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    03-16-19 08:58 AM
    Last I heard(could be wrong) if you wanted WiFi calling you had to go with TMobile. But if you want to leave ATT, think about Mint Mobile. They're an MVNO with TM, they support WiFi calling(I'm using it on my Q10 right now), and if you prepay 12 months you can pay only $15 per month. They'll tell you they don't support BB, but they actually work with just about any ATT device. And just to make sure, you can try them for 7 days with no committment. Full disclosure: they give me unlimited talk and text and 3GB of data. I give them 15 bucks a month.

Posted via CB10
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    03-16-19 11:45 AM
    I had an AT&T branded PRIV since launch and used it 3 years until it was time to move on. I purchased a KEY2 in October and use it BYOD on AT&T.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. So, do you like it? How is the reception, call quality, etc., compared to your ATT Priv? Any problems overall? Any frustrations? Thanks in advance.
    03-16-19 03:40 PM
    Got it. I think, LOL. I have an unlimited plan with VZW, so I just call. It logs as minutes. I don't think I am using wifi, and I am certainly not all the time as I don't even turn on the wifi all the time.

I was thinking about getting the Key2 with ATT, and getting this unlimited calling plan -- unlimited calls and texts, and it comes with 5gb of "data" or whatever you call it. When I am on wifi, I connect to the internet, because I am connected in my office or at home on my network. However, if I am out and not on some network, I turn on "data" and connect and burn through data. On my current Priv with VZW, whenever I do that the "4G" icon on the top of the screen goes on. When I am done, I turn it off.

Thanks.
    03-16-19 03:44 PM
    Thanks Bob. So, do you like it? How is the reception, call quality, etc., compared to your ATT Priv? Any problems overall? Any frustrations? Thanks in advance.
    The call quality generally is adequate in that it doesn't have VoLTE like my AT&T branded PRIV. I have no issues with signal strength and I find the KEY2 to meet my needs as a communication device. I don't have ANY social media apps and I don't play games.

So for texting on BBM, Messenger, and WhatsApp I have no complaints. I have 3 email accounts and they all perform well. I like the size of the KEY2 over the PRIV... it's a lot easier to manage one handed and slides into my back pocket of my jeans much easier.

All in all I am pleased with my KEY2...

Bob
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    03-16-19 05:27 PM
    The call quality generally is adequate in that it doesn't have VoLTE like my AT&T branded PRIV. I have no issues with signal strength and I find the KEY2 to meet my needs as a communication device. I don't have ANY social media apps and I don't play games.

So for texting on BBM, Messenger, and WhatsApp I have no complaints. I have 3 email accounts and they all perform well. I like the size of the KEY2 over the PRIV... it's a lot easier to manage one handed and slides into my back pocket of my jeans much easier.

All in all I am pleased with my KEY2...

Bob
    How about for selfies?? LMAO

I couldn’t resist..... ;-)
    Bob80220 likes this.
    03-16-19 06:52 PM
    I don't know, if you like your plan but the Priv is the only thing causing you grief. Just give her a factory reset like I did and only load on the apps you absolutely need. Put in some of the known easy tweaks to conserve battery life and boom, the Priv will be back in business and enjoyable to use again.

Trust me, my Priv was sluggish and crawling to do any task before I decided it was time for a wipe. Now, it's fast responsive and just clean of anything unnecessary. I even went as far as disabling The Hub and you should see the performance bump you get off this thing now. Not suggesting you need to go that far.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    03-25-19 09:15 PM
    My Priv still working well and battery ok, but soon time to replace with a key2 LE as my main use will be calls/Texts and E mails.
    the_boon and Blackberrydz like this.
    03-30-19 01:59 PM
    My Priv still working well and battery ok, but soon time to replace with a key2 LE as my main use will be calls/Texts and E mails.
    That or the Key2 itself. Really depends whether you want 6/64 or 4/64 and capacitive PKB or not.
    the_boon and AllanQuatermain like this.
    03-30-19 04:24 PM
    That or the Key2 itself. Really depends whether you want 6/64 or 4/64 and capacitive PKB or not.
    Surely price would also be a consideration for some people.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    03-30-19 07:20 PM
    Surely price would also be a consideration for some people.
    If price is a consideration, BBMo is probably not the best choice of brands in general. At the price levels of the various models, the BBTax is part of the life..
    03-30-19 08:49 PM
    There's also the BE KEYone which will cost less than the LE, if we're talking brand new of course.
    03-31-19 01:13 AM
    I'm getting good life out of my Priv. I do the 32 second power down maybe once every two weeks or so, clean out the cache about as often. Charge when go to bed and get home from work and usually have between 40 to 50% of battery left. Fingers crossed holds up for awhile.
    Blackberrydz likes this.
    03-31-19 11:31 AM
    I'm getting good life out of my Priv. I do the 32 second power down maybe once every two weeks or so, clean out the cache about as often. Charge when go to bed and get home from work and usually have between 40 to 50% of battery left. Fingers crossed holds up for awhile.
    Until?
    03-31-19 12:48 PM
    obviously until that doesn't work anymore.
    03-31-19 08:51 PM
32 12