such erudite recognition renders me all choked up...
    10-08-15 06:15 PM
    Smh at all these armchair CEOs. If they were head of the company, we would have never seen the Passport and Classic.

Posted via CB10
    & Shelly stockholders would be counting their cut before it vanished... real folding money...
    10-08-15 06:16 PM
    Who had enough of this guy
    It's time for the guillotine
    Attachment 375005

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to decide my passport
    10-08-15 06:24 PM
    *off topic*
    BlackBerry Guillotine .. now THAT sounds like an awesome name for a slider.. better than Priv anyway, and seems to better describe BlackBerry..

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    ImBerryCurious and kbz1960 like this.
    10-08-15 06:45 PM
    As a CEO who was hired to stop the bleeding and get the revenue stream flowing again, I think he has successfully done his job.

Unfortunately in business you have to make hard choices that may not sit well with some of your loyal followers, but he is also accountable to the share holders and board of directors.

I think with the recent acquisitions of Good and some of the other security released purchases, they are going to be in a better position for the long haul.

As much as I would hate to see it happen, if OS10 is a casualty and Android does take off and ends up being the new Blackberry OS, then so be it.

If it means the hardware division can now support itself and make Blackberry a profit, I am good with it. I learned in this high tech fast paced market, you have to be willing to adapt to changes.

As I have said many times before, Android and IOS are the new Titans on the block wether you choose to accept it or not. Being in the auto industry for over 30 years I have seen my fair share of changes and having to adapt to changing times.

My old boss who was a very smart business person and made a lot of money always told me you either roll with the changing times or get rolled over.
    Indeed and I'd rather have android with BlackBerry software touches than no BlackBerry at all.

Posted via CB10
    ChainPunch, bakron1 and -Puck- like this.
    10-08-15 06:49 PM
    Attachment 375005

If you don't like Chen, then get enough money together to purchase enough of Blackberry to kick him out. Chen has the backing of the board and he is not going anywhere. I can understand not liking some of things he said and done, but at the end of the day he was brought in to get blackberry to point that they are making a profit and not bleeding money every quarter. At this point he is blackberry's best chance at this time to survive as it is. The real question is whether they hardware division can be saved.
    10-08-15 06:53 PM
    People forget what Chen inherited when he came on board -

- a disastrous BB10 launch with no app support, terrible + barely existent marketing, and a hardware division that had to take a $1B write-off
    - a billion dollar recurring service revenue stream based on a dead OS (BB0S) that was declining rapidly that couldn't ever be revived
    - heavily tarnished brand reputation in the media and consumer market where blackberry was looked at as old and "uncool" technology
    - complete lack of US carrier support, at the time when it was most needed in their most important market

Has Chen been perfect? No. But people act if they just slapped a few more pics of BB10 on the side of a bus and a commercial or two and everything would be great. Blackberry was sinking fast and Chen has managed to keep it afloat a little longer, while trying to grow the less risky and potentially more profitable software side of the business. In my opinion BB10 was already dead by the time he was hired.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE, JeepBB, dejanh and 1 others like this.
    10-08-15 06:59 PM
    *off topic*
    BlackBerry Guillotine .. now THAT sounds like an awesome name for a slider.. better than Priv anyway, and seems to better describe BlackBerry..

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339

Time for John Chen to go campaign-img_20151008_200515_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 07:06 PM
    If Priv will sell running on BB10 it is an impending failure for BlackBerry Why? People don't care about security these days. People just want to maximize the power of their phones, value for their money and let's face it we can't do this on BB10, they can't even give us a decent FB app.

Gone to those days that most people has BBM, that BlackBerry is a phone wanted by so many. Priv is an amazing phone with good features and if they sell it running on BB10 those features will be just plain gimmick. They should've called it as Torch 3.

For the past years BlackBerry is struggling and lost billions of dollars. I believe in Chen's vision and Priv will save BlackBerry . They need a bigger market,not just businessmen and officials. If Priv will be a success it means one thing, more phones for us BlackBerry fans.

 BlackBerry� > 9520>9700>9800>9900>Passport SE
    Last edited by UghYawYaw; 10-08-15 at 08:00 PM.
    10-08-15 07:43 PM
    People forget what Chen inherited when he came on board -

- a disastrous BB10 launch with no app support, terrible + barely existent marketing, and a hardware division that had to take a $1B write-off
    - a billion dollar recurring service revenue stream based on a dead OS (BB0S) that was declining rapidly that couldn't ever be revived
    - heavily tarnished brand reputation in the media and consumer market where blackberry was looked at as old and "uncool" technology
    - complete lack of US carrier support, at the time when it was most needed in their most important market

Has Chen been perfect? No. But people act if they just slapped a few more pics of BB10 on the side of a bus and a commercial or two and everything would be great. Blackberry was sinking fast and Chen has managed to keep it afloat a little longer, while trying to grow the less risky and potentially more profitable software side of the business. In my opinion BB10 was already dead by the time he was hired.

Posted via CB10
    Fanbois conveniently ignore the book that documented BlackBerry's decline & the causes: Losing the Signal.
    http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Signal-...UvbUpU11982453
    10-08-15 07:53 PM
    He is doing a good job thus far.

Posted via CA Governor's BlackBerry� Passport SE
    Last edited by california governor; 10-08-15 at 09:21 PM.
    10-08-15 07:57 PM
    Most of the tech people are excited about the PRIV out there, since it differentiate enough from other Android manufacturers. Only CB is crying about losing BB10 which is almost dead ( to most of phone users). Why don't ya give him a little bit more time to see how it goes after the PRIV release?
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-08-15 09:05 PM
    Yeah, that is true. Maybe they quit because this guy just isn't coachable?

And it's not just a language issue. This guy seems very unpolished and extremely unprepared in any language. He's good at making the company smaller, but if they plan to turnaround and actually grow again, maybe they do need someone else.

To his credit, he has stopped the bleeding. I would guess the board had very few choices when they chose him, because the company was in a world of hurt back then. Now that the company is more stable, and now that they have Good and the car business and other viable businesses, maybe now is the time to attract a great CEO?
    Chen might have been ok in transition to stop the cash drain, but beyond that he has shown no sign of actually leading this company anywhere but in continued retreat into a follower position, apparently now even jus matching (at best) the security of others.

Everyone else making excuses for this guy and blaming bb10 for the failure of management. Hope that works out for you.

KAM
    10-08-15 10:11 PM
    Chen is doing what is necessary financially. However, he lacks tact, eloquence, and sociological consciousness, which is key to the proliferation of a solid image in the tech world. Honestly, he should hire a spokesperson to work as a liaison between himself and his PR team. Chen could tell him exactly what he is doing as CEO and the direction the company is being steered in. The PR company can work with him to deliver this message in the best way possible. Essentially, this person would be a press secretary for the company.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 10:16 PM
    Making a low end phone?

Have you not seen the low end market? Even Samsung doesn't even bother - you can't compete with those Chinese Android handsets that they can make and sell for less then anyone else just spends on parts. Look at the top 5 unlocked phones on a big retailer like Amazon...outside of new release periods you usually don't see a single recognizable or at least well regarded brand. Just tons of $50 generics like BLU using horrible outdated specs but at a price that nobody else can compete with.

Chen is making the right moves to get the cash flow up, then MAYBE we can get another flagship BB10 handset in the future. Would I buy one now? Of course, I love BB10. Will tens of millions of others jump at the chance? Not even close. Dumping more money into BB10 when it already isn't selling would be suicide.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    dejanh likes this.
    10-08-15 10:28 PM
    It's funny that CB is the site with the most animosity towards a new BlackBerry phone .

Even formally known Android Fanboi websites are drooling over it and praising BlackBerry's efforts.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    MO3iusONE and dejanh like this.
    10-08-15 10:32 PM

To the OP: even if you think it's funny, the guillotine image and even worse, the suggestion is despicable and offensive.
    MO3iusONE and anon(4021844) like this.
    10-08-15 10:34 PM
    When Chen says to much they complain when he says to little they complain. He's blunt and to the point. Get used to it.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-09-15 02:48 AM
    What could chen do?

Samsung spent $14 BILLION on marketing in 2013, more than the entire value of blackberry AND Samsung get to market devices with apps.

Writing has been on the wall for a while and blackberry needs to evolve or die, and that is what is happening.
    10-09-15 04:26 AM
    If you decapitate Chen then what? Any ideas?

They guy is lost as much as any of us would be lost by coming into a clusterfcuk BBRY is right now. You would need like five competent managers just to stop the bleeding. And that alone would feel like a success.

Chen is only guilty for not being a salesmen and marketing man, maybe the most needed skill one CEO should have but he is a good manager and has share of experience of business restructure. It was clear from day one that the guy doesn't understand consumer market nor trade of goods and his constant repeating of how BBRY plays in enterprise market but not consumer market just shows how he is struggling. Enterprise market is the consumer market today and you cant' make phones for just 15% of the whole enterprise market which consists of ultra big enterprises with strict policies of carrying dedicated phones. But what do I know.

What really hurts is when BBRY stuff goes public to declare how they cannot afford money to spend on drivers because they have chosen QNX as the underpinning of their devices. If a 4 billion dollar company cant develop drivers then who can?
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-09-15 04:41 AM
    What Chen 'saved'? Nothing.
    He is killing BlackBerry. Better would be to make BB10 more friendly with Android apps for clowns who like stupid apps but not to kill this great platform.
    Someone nice said - it's time to go for Chen. He is destroying BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 05:07 AM
    Indeed and I'd rather have android with BlackBerry software touches than no BlackBerry at all.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. At least we get the BlackBerry Hub function and the keyboard. And BlackBerry can monetise those and other components of the Experience Suite.
    Rather than BlackBerry going away for good and OSes like iOS absorbing those into their core OS and claiming it to be their latest innovation.
    10-09-15 05:07 AM
    If you decapitate Chen then what? Any ideas?

They guy is lost as much as any of us would be lost by coming into a clusterfcuk BBRY is right now. You would need like five competent managers just to stop the bleeding. And that alone would feel like a success.

Chen is only guilty for not being a salesmen and marketing man, maybe the most needed skill one CEO should have but he is a good manager and has share of experience of business restructure. It was clear from day one that the guy doesn't understand consumer market nor trade of goods and his constant repeating of how BBRY plays in enterprise market but not consumer market just shows how he is struggling. Enterprise market is the consumer market today and you cant' make phones for just 15% of the whole enterprise market which consists of ultra big enterprises with strict policies of carrying dedicated phones. But what do I know.

What really hurts is when BBRY stuff goes public to declare how they cannot afford money to spend on drivers because they have chosen QNX as the underpinning of their devices. If a 4 billion dollar company cant develop drivers then who can?
    Nice said. 4 billion dollar company can't to develop drivers.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 05:09 AM
    Nice said. 4 billion dollar company can't to develop drivers.

Posted via CB10
    Based on their revenues... they aren't a 4 Billion dollar company.

Most of their valuation is based on assist and not the "business". You look at their R&D spending and it's clear they are running on a very tight budget over there.
    10-09-15 08:12 AM
    Clearly u haven't been reading the articles fully

Posted by PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    10-09-15 08:25 AM
127 1234 ...