So it's speculated that it'll be either announced late September, most likely earnings call, or October, that conference thing on the 8th. Which one would be best to announce it at. if it's on the earnings call that's also close if not on the launch day of the iphone aka the king of smartphones. If it's on october, microsoft has a conference two days before to announce new windows phones and probably the new surface
    09-14-15 12:45 PM
    So it's speculated that it'll be either announced late September, most likely earnings call, or October, that conference thing on the 8th. Which one would be best to announce it at. if it's on the earnings call that's also close if not on the launch day of the iphone aka the king of smartphones. If it's on october, microsoft has a conference two days before to announce new windows phones and probably the new surface
    what?
    09-14-15 12:47 PM
    I think he's trying to get at sept/oct not being good dates to announce it. To be honest not many people have interest in Microsoft phones, and people already know about the launch of the iphone. The weirdest thing, is people are asking me more and more about the blackberry android phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 01:17 PM
    I think he's trying to get at sept/oct not being good dates to announce it. To be honest not many people have interest in Microsoft phones, and people already know about the launch of the iphone. The weirdest thing, is people are asking me more and more about the blackberry android phone.

Posted via CB10
    Ooh!

and yeah same here, when those leaks were shown a lot of friends asked me because sadly I'm the only one they know with a BlackBerry. But since the leaks and it peaked everyones interest, I'd say nearly half of them got the note/s6 edge+, s6 edge or are getting the iPhone 6s... again BlackBerry botched this. Aug/Sept is primetime to bring something out, especially to this caliber. An android BlackBerry?!.. a lot of friends shown real interest, but most went with other devices solely because they were available and because BlackBerry didn't reveal anything and they were all leaks(could of never came to fruition).

The sooner they bring this out, the better it'll be for BlackBerry to sell more handsets, imo. But what do I know, I'm just your average consumer..

PS: I'm starting to worry about their potential success if they keep postponing this thing. I think as Bla1ze said, they shipped a **** ton of these everywhere but never gone through FCC, which means what? I wonder... but based on some info I have a feeling this thing will hit Canada sooner than y'all think
    yyz321 likes this.
    09-14-15 02:04 PM
    Ooh!

and yeah same here, when those leaks were shown a lot of friends asked me because sadly I'm the only one they know with a BlackBerry. But since the leaks and it peaked everyones interest, I'd say nearly half of them got the note/s6 edge+, s6 edge or are getting the iPhone 6s... again BlackBerry botched this. Aug/Sept is primetime to bring something out, especially to this caliber. An android BlackBerry?!.. a lot of friends shown real interest, but most went with other devices solely because they were available and because BlackBerry didn't reveal anything and they were all leaks(could of never came to fruition).

The sooner they bring this out, the better it'll be for BlackBerry to sell more handsets, imo. But what do I know, I'm just your average consumer..

PS: I'm starting to worry about their potential success if they keep postponing this thing. I think as Bla1ze said, they shipped a **** ton of these everywhere but never gone through FCC, which means what? I wonder... but based on some info I have a feeling this thing will hit Canada sooner than y'all think
    Good point about the FCC. How long has it traditionally taken for BlackBerry devices to be released after appearing on the FCC site?

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 09-14-15 at 05:05 PM.
    09-14-15 02:25 PM
    Android phone sales are not seasonal and therefore timing relative to other manufacturer's release dates is mostly irrelevant. The readiness of the product, partnerships, carrier treatment, and market positioning will determine the success of the product. The difference in a launch or availability date of say September vs November is a secondary consideration compared to any one of these factors.

Best case scenario is they launch with Google Marshmallow on Sept. 29th in SF. Hope for on stage presence and/or major Google endorsement.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 02:49 PM
    Good point about the FCC. How long has it traditional taken for BlackBerry devices to be released after appearing on the FCC site?

No consistent time frame. Take the Z10 - the AT&T variant went through the FCC near the end of January of 2013. The Verizon a whole month later. Yet the Verizon model was released only a week after the AT&T model was at the end of March.

I suppose they could technically release a phone the same day the FCC passes it, but I don't know what kind of lead time is needed for making all the requisite stickers and sending them to whoever is manufacturing the devices.

On the question of when to announce. Don't forget the quarterly results announcement is on Sept 25th. If BlackBerry doesn't say something before then, Chen will be absolutely pounded with questions about the slider during the investor conference call. For his sake, I'd hope they would make a formal announcement some time before then, just to soften the inquiries. Not that he won't still be asked about it, but at least something more definitive would be out there beforehand.

If they don't announce something, Chen will be in for a long day.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by joeldf; 09-14-15 at 03:08 PM.
    09-14-15 02:58 PM
    Win10 phone with PC integration is definitely intriguing.
    09-14-15 03:28 PM
    Win10 phone with PC integration is definitely intriguing.
    That's my thought if BlackBerry ever abandons BlackBerry 10 and becomes another Android device maker.
    I'm an optimist, so I'm hopeful for at least one more generation of "high end" BlackBerry 10 devices.

09-14-15 05:08 PM
    Android phone sales are not seasonal and therefore timing relative to other manufacturer's release dates is mostly irrelevant. The readiness of the product, partnerships, carrier treatment, and market positioning will determine the success of the product. The difference in a launch or availability date of say September vs November is a secondary consideration compared to any one of these factors.

Best case scenario is they launch with Google Marshmallow on Sept. 29th in SF. Hope for on stage presence and/or major Google endorsement.

Posted via CB10
    Timing is everything when it comes to marketing. If the market is being inundated with other manufacturers, you have to stay on top and introduce your offering along side with the others before the consumer has a chance to decide

Z10
    09-14-15 05:27 PM
    Ooh!

Agreed. I'm the lone wolf amongst friends when it comes to blackberry, but I always inform them when a new ones out because they're all willing to switch over, so long as the device passes their checklist. An android phone with a new gimmick (curved screen), blackberry security, with all GPS services, and finally a physical keyboard but a long screen. That's gotta be the list everytime I asked anyone what they would like in an android phone.(those who want a keyboard anyways)
    And I must say, the knowledge you have interests me.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 05:38 PM
    Either way, they should hurry up. Some people I convinced how good BlackBerry10 is considered the slider.

But since there aren't any information on it, and apple announced the new iPhone and start selling very soon they all preordered the new iPhone.

It's time BlackBerry. Either you shouldn't have shown the slider idea so early this year without being far in the development, or you should really say SOMETHING!!

It's all about the right time... when you start clapping,when you propose, and last but not least, when to tell people what's happening.
    Easy as that.

BlackBerry shouldn't imitate apple with the "I don't give you any information so you all want the device even more" tactic. That only works with a reputation already in your pocket.

It's time to spill some crumbs. Give the customers BlackBerry sugar, otherwise they'll all take the apple juice.

09-15-15 04:41 AM
    Personally I think it would be best..... when it's ready, and will be available within a couple of weeks.

I think launching a device that won't be available in "most" markets for a month or more is a mistake.
    09-15-15 07:02 AM
    Personally I think it would be best..... when it's ready, and will be available within a couple of weeks.

I think launching a device that won't be available in "most" markets for a month or more is a mistake.
    I agree.
    While I won't purchase one right away(just depends), but, announcing the Slider, building up the hype with videos and pics, then a delay because of the OS or worse- AT&T, it will be the SOS and business as usual.......could be a problem.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-15-15 08:03 AM
    Blackberry NEEDS this to stay relevant in the smartphone business. The current line of BB10 phones are just not enough to cut it...the lack of a proper app ecosystem is really throwing k.o. punches to them
    09-15-15 09:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    You have a point, and what you say it's true, although not always... Look at the One Plus 1.

Readiness of the product - Almost none thanks to the invitations sistem.
    Partenerships - None
    Carrier treatment - None

But it was sucessfull, because the product was good and spoke for itself. The OnePlus 2 is having 50x more inventory than the first, and they don't make much marketing for it.
    09-15-15 02:23 PM
    You have a point, and what you say it's true, although not always... Look at the One Plus 1.

Partenerships - None
    Carrier treatment - None

But it was sucessfull, because the product was good and spoke for itself. The OnePlus 2 is having 50x more inventory than the first, and they don't make much marketing for it.
    I think it's what you get specs wise for the price. If BB/Chen drop the Slider to the same price...
    09-15-15 03:18 PM
    I think it's what you get specs wise for the price. If BB/Chen drop the Slider to the same price...
    I wouldn't expect the slider to be any cheaper than the passport unfortunately
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    09-15-15 03:43 PM
    I wouldn't expect the slider to be any cheaper than the passport unfortunately
    Yeah, I'd be pretty surprised, lol. But it would be a nice way for BlackBerry to test out the Android waters and get some movement of the handsets by pricing it super competitively. Even at break even / slight loss it would be good advertising if it's a well built device and the BB Experience software is up to snuff. That would probably turn a lot of heads!
    09-15-15 04:10 PM

Partenerships - None
    Carrier treatment - None

Not a good comparison for two reasons - A) OnePlus is not profitable and B) OnePlus shipped only 1.5 million units of the OnePlus One in it's first year.

The Venice would not be considered a success if it replicated these results.

Posted via CB10
    DueNorthBB likes this.
    09-15-15 05:44 PM
    Not a good comparison for two reasons - A) OnePlus is not profitable and B) OnePlus shipped only 1.5 million units of the OnePlus One in it's first year.

The Venice would not be considered a success if it replicated these results.

Posted via CB10
    Don't know if they sold at a profit or at a loss, but i doubt it was at a loss since OnePlus isn't a charity company. 1.5 million was in their first year (2014), wich was only half year of sales since the OnePlus One was released in June.

They were sucessfull, because they had more demand than inventory, BY FAR. That's why they are making a inventory aprox. 50x bigger for the OnePlus 2.
    09-15-15 07:11 PM
    But since the leaks and it peaked everyones interest, I'd say nearly half of them got the note/s6 edge+, s6 edge or are getting the iPhone 6s... again BlackBerry botched this. Aug/Sept is primetime to bring something out, especially to this caliber. An android BlackBerry?!.. a lot of friends shown real interest, but most went with other devices solely because they were available and because BlackBerry didn't reveal anything and they were all leaks(could of never came to fruition).
    The number of those people who would have risked their money on the BlackBerry device and couldn't wait a couple of months for it to be released are exactly zero. I for one to not believe for a second that anyone in the market for an iPhone or Galaxy S6 would instead decide to buy a BlackBerry device.

Anyone crying "Gee, I wish I waited for the BlackBerry Slider instead of buying this iPhone 6S or Galaxy S6" (6S? S6? If they touch will both universes be destroyed?) is either a) a unicorn, b) a CrackBerry member with no impulse control or c) an asset to the word-of-mouth sales efforts when it finally IS released.
    09-16-15 01:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's probably an ideal way of doing things
    ayngling likes this.
    09-16-15 08:36 AM
    Don't know if they sold at a profit or at a loss, but i doubt it was at a loss since OnePlus isn't a charity company. 1.5 million was in their first year (2014), wich was only half year of sales since the OnePlus One was released in June.

They were sucessfull, because they had more demand than inventory, BY FAR. That's why they are making a inventory aprox. 50x bigger for the OnePlus 2.
    And what is OnePlus's operating cost?

There are reasons that a small company that is just moving into select markets, could see a profit with only 1.5 Million devices moved. And a larger company trying to sell their devices world wide would not make a profit with only 1.5 Million devices.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-16-15 08:47 AM
    And what is OnePlus's operating cost?

There are reasons that a small company that is just moving into select markets, could see a profit with only 1.5 Million devices moved. And a larger company trying to sell their devices world wide would not make a profit with only 1.5 Million devices.
    Again, 1.5 million devices was just in the first 6 months. They made a small inventory, wich makes sense since it's a small company, and they didn't know how much sucess. The new one will have up to 50x more inventory, i guess judging by the demand that the first one had

source:
    OnePlus 2 will have up to 50x more inventory than the OnePlus One at launch, and a reservation list for invites | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Paul Sawers
    09-16-15 09:09 AM
37 12