I charged the phone and went to bed. Completely dead in the morning! Not to be lived with. I see a lot of comments about this problem that say, "Power is cheap," "keep it on a charger as much as you can," etc. No. Dead in 8 hours sleeping.....both it and me....is not acceptable.

And now the touchscreen isn't responding. Nor is it going to sleep as it should.

I feel so deflated. Excited four days ago, now it's like finding out my beautiful woman is cheating with my best friend!

No, I don't want a Key-whatever. The LCD screen is a non-starter because I can't use the Nokia Glance like Android apps that display time and notifications like my Windows Phone does. Can't live without it.

I guess I'll do either a hard reset or re-install of the factory OS. I'll have to do that anyway to sell it.

And this is such a great forum!
    11-22-19 10:39 AM
    No, I don't want a Key-whatever. The LCD screen is a non-starter because I can't use the Nokia Glance like Android apps that display time and notifications like my Windows Phone does. Can't live without it.
    I'm not sure that I follow. Why is an LCD preventing this while an AMOLED allows it?
    11-22-19 11:03 AM
    I'm not sure that I follow. Why is an LCD preventing this while an AMOLED allows it?
    First, I should have said, LED, not L CD. My bad. But having followed the Nokia Glance issue for years, they never put it on less expensive, LED screens. I suspect it has to do with the power requirements. Granted, maybe some Android user has made a Glance for LED screens, but then, why would I want an inferior screen? And high end phones like the BB Keys should have an AMOLED screen. A four cylinder engine in a Bentley.
    11-22-19 11:22 AM
    I don't follow why he bought a four year old phone that was known to not be very power efficient to begin with.

Is it a brand new phone or a used one?
    Provide some screen shots of the battery usage....

Even if it is brand new the battery might be damaged (sitting around for four years), and then depending on what's running there could be other issues that could be adjusted to improve the performance.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-22-19 11:23 AM
    First, like Dunt said above, this phone was not a great performer to begin with, and it launched 4 years ago.

The major drawback is the horrible SD808 processor that powers it.

Now, this phone can be "mastered" in the sense that you can apply tips and tricks to maximize battery life and performance.

Again you didn't specify whether the one you got was brand new, slightly used, or very used.

Anyway, here you go:

First thing to do is enable developer options by going into phone settings and then "About Phone" and tapping "Build Number" 8 times until it tells you that you've become a developer.

Then, back out of there and you'll see developer options at the bottom.

Go in there and scroll down to the three animation settings which will all be on "1x".

Tap each of them and lower them to "0.5x".

Then, go back out and into "Storage" and wait for the "cached data" to load. Most likely there will be at least 1gb of cached data.

Simply tap it to clear it and wait a few seconds.

After this, you should see an immediate performance gain.

-Lower the resolution with adb to 1080x1920 (see here /blackberry-priv-f440/howto-reduce-screen-resolution-preserve-battery-life-enhance-framrate-1093326/ )

-Keep Bluetooth/WiFi and scanning OFF unless in use

-Disable all BB Hub+ and the other BlackBerry apps

-Disable ALL the Google apps that you don't actively use, especially the "Google" one. I would use Google Keep, Google Contacts and Google Calendar, those are not resource hogs

-Avoid using Google Maps or do any navigation unless necessary

-Don't play any game that requires more GPU power than a simple 2D game like candy crush

-Don't use the Full Facebook or Messenger app, use Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite instead

-Keep the brightness at 50% unless necessary

-Enable power saving mode all day

-Connect the phone to a Wi-Fi especially when signal is weak
    11-22-19 11:35 AM
    @the_boon: Thanks, I'd read your suggestions previously. Some were applicable, some not. Appreciated.
    11-23-19 05:31 PM
    GRABBING THE PRIV TOWEL BACK! As noted in my other post about 100 hour battery life attained by a hard reset, I logged into my account and the battery usage jumped up.............but still at 30 hours! That's with maybe ten minutes screen time, no talking.

As to the comments about the well known battery life issues...............not to me when I bought it. Only by coming here did I learn.
    11-23-19 05:35 PM