Didn't see a thread on this, but there was some speculation on the front page so I figured it could use a thread here as well.

The only reasonable thing I can think of is: Quick Actions.

Since the "three dots" on the keyboard appear on the 0/Mic button, and the icons that the "three dots" appear below are ones you'd expect to have Quick Actions, I think that is a very reasonable assumption. Not to mention how important Quick Actions have always been for (efficient) BlackBerry users, they have always been a very big part of the BB Experience.
    So I'd be very surprised if this isn't some sort of hint at Quick Actions support as another one of the BlackBerry-specific additions to the OS.
    AfroAfro and Sime0n_S like this.
    09-29-15 04:55 PM
    Quick actions as in 3D touch in IPhone 6S?

Posted via the amazing 'Red' BlackBerry Passport
    09-29-15 05:29 PM
    I'm not entirely convinced that the dots on the screen are connected to the dots on the keyboard. For starters, they have the wrong orientation. And second, seems silly to require one to 'pre-invoke' quickaction/shortcut when you can just as easily assign a shortcut directly to a physical key on the keyboard (by holding it down).

I think the vertical dots is just to bring up a context menu within any app, and then hopefully the options are mapped to keys on the physical keyboard. This will hopefully allow a user to navigate apps almost entirely using the keyboard (menu button -> 'R'eply -> type reply -> menu button -> 'S'end).

So... maybe the three dots means they are mapped to key shortcuts, but... not sure how that makes for a user-friendly UI (would be nicer to have a the key letter).
    09-29-15 05:36 PM
    I think they might represent apps that are currently running in the background and/or are open. Since it doesn't have active frames bbry might have implemented this is a way for users to know which apps are running without having to check the running app pane.

Thoughts??

Posted via CB10
    ayngling, z3user and thorbon like this.
    09-29-15 06:31 PM
    Thoughts??
    That could be, but then why would the Hub not be running? That should be the cornerstone of what this device can do so it should definitely be "running". Also three dots below to indicate running apps seems a bit weird to me, as three dots are already used for so many different things.

The reason I mainly think it has something to do with invoking/Q.A. is the horizontal dots remind me of what "text in progress" looks like in many apps:

Of course the dots on the mic key could be related to opening an overflow menu, but if you ask me that would cause conflicts between wanting speech-assist and menu options in some apps.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed | BB Social → C0007CC89
    z3user likes this.
    09-29-15 06:47 PM
    So you don't think the 3 dots next to the microphone icon doesn't imply that it's part of the BlackBerry Voice-Activated Assistant? i.e. "Book a meeting with John to discuss horrible device name" will call the 3-dots calendar... or "BBM Prem" will call the 3-dots BBM, etc.

What'd be awesome about that would be if you can create your own call functions -- "Starbucks card load" opening up 3-dots Starbucks app, etc.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 06:48 PM
    ↑ That's exactly what I was thinking.

Another reason why is, as far as I know, Android doesn't actually support a Convenience Key in the way BB/iOS do. For example you cannot use the Play/Pause key on Android compatible headphones to activate the BlackBerry Assistant.

If that is still true it wouldn't be weird if they put that hardware-shortcut on the keyboard instead.

09-29-15 06:57 PM
    The 3 dots on the screen represent the number of launcher pages available. Swiping left or right to view them. The larger or highlighted dot means the current page you are on. On my Nexus 5 I currently have 5 pages, see photo below. 3 vertical dots in Android OS typically represents a settings menu. Hope that clears it up for you.

The three horizontal dots under App Icons: what could they mean?-screenshot_2015-09-29-19-50-38.jpg
    Ihauntu2 and z3user like this.
    09-29-15 07:12 PM
    I can't remember the 3 dots under an application icon tho or any multi-dot in the same location, that appears to be new to an Android device.
    09-29-15 07:18 PM
    What Methods said. The 3 vertical dots are the menu in most apps.
    My guess is this key allows quick menu call up instead of pressing your screen. Use the menu key, then the touchpad to navigate menu options. Neat trick if it's true.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-29-15 07:19 PM
    The 3 dots on the screen represent the number of launcher pages available. Swiping left or right to view them. The larger or highlighted dot means the current page you are on. On my Nexus 5 I currently have 5 pages, see photo below. 3 vertical dots in Android OS typically represents a settings menu. Hope that clears it up for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-29-19-50-38.jpg 
Views:	4164 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	373732
    We know what those 3 dots are, we've got the same thing on bb10, they want to know about the repeated dots under some apps, like the Play Store for example in the above screenshot.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    09-29-15 07:22 PM
    So you don't think the 3 dots next to the microphone icon doesn't imply that it's part of the BlackBerry Voice-Activated Assistant? i.e. "Book a meeting with John to discuss horrible device name" will call the 3-dots calendar... or "BBM Prem" will call the 3-dots BBM, etc.

What'd be awesome about that would be if you can create your own call functions -- "Starbucks card load" opening up 3-dots Starbucks app, etc.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't make sense because,.. (1) the PlayStore has them, and (2) the contacts app doesn't.

Seems to me that it would be useless for the PlayStore and very useful for contacts. Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 07:42 PM
    I think they might represent apps that are currently running in the background and/or are open. Since it doesn't have active frames bbry might have implemented this is a way for users to know which apps are running without having to check the running app pane.

Thoughts??

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Check John Chen's demo video... he opens google chrome, puts it at the background... but later in the video, we don't see the dots under chrome... it's definitely something else...

Posted via the amazing 'Red' BlackBerry Passport
    09-29-15 08:22 PM
    Earlier poster was correct. It is a page indicator on the launcher. Here is my current launcher. I have three pages.
    Attached Thumbnails The three horizontal dots under App Icons: what could they mean?-1443576655527.jpg  
    09-29-15 08:32 PM
    Methods, chrisdjackson; the OP is referring to the 3 dots underneath the app icon of BBM play store etc

Interesting indeed...

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 08:40 PM
    Ah... I see. I have never seen that before...
    09-29-15 08:44 PM
    That doesn't make sense because,.. (1) the PlayStore has them, and (2) the contacts app doesn't.

Seems to me that it would be useless for the PlayStore and very useful for contacts. Lol

Posted via CB10
    It does actually bc Google probably requires the Playstore to be centre stage and for sure be a quick launch.

#CB10 #workwide #Silver
    09-29-15 11:17 PM
    Okay I'm talking out of my *** but this is what it could be. By pressing and holding the mic key, you'd get you're voice feature, "okay Google", schedule a date or whatever. But by tapping the mic button and a letter, will automatically launch whatever app you want it to launch. So the 3 dots underneath the app implies that it had a shortcut key designated to it.

I'm just guessing.

This is early what the OP said. I feel like an ***** now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-30-15 01:56 AM
    I think the ... on the pkb are simply to open on screen the vkb page where you have punctuation and smiley symbols. EDIT : Ah, no, there is a sym button too.
    And the ... under apps probably mean that those apps can have an acction menu that pops-up when you hold on them instead of just clicking
    09-30-15 03:52 AM
    Maybe the three dots under icons indicate more than one page in the app. A reminder that in the app swiping left of right brings new "pages".

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    09-30-15 05:02 AM
    I'll ask a mod to alter the thread title later.
    Something like "the three horizontal dots under App Icons: what could they mean?"
    Was a little pretentious of me just to imply quick actions are the only logical option, even if I think it is the most likely.

09-30-15 05:15 AM
    I'll ask a mod to alter the thread title later.
    Something like "the three horizontal dots under App Icons: what could they mean?"
    Was a little pretentious of me just to imply quick actions are the only logical option, even if I think it is the most likely.

Done
    Superfly_FR and MrGlenn like this.
    09-30-15 05:18 AM
    The three dots indicate what applications can interact with voice assistant. That's my guess at least, but I hope it is something more interesting than that.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 06:00 AM
    The three dots indicate what applications can interact with voice assistant. That's my guess at least, but I hope it is something more interesting than that.

Posted via CB10
    Again, how could the Contacts app not fall into that category, and yet the playstore does? Why would I want to voice assistant my way into the playstore?

Posted via CB10
    MP556 likes this.
    09-30-15 06:13 AM
    It's obvious the three dots are a subtle nod to the Freemasons and the illuminati... The Masonic ellipsis strewn across the device's homescreen clearly representing BlackBerry's ties to the Bilderberg Group and the Trilateral Commission... Case solved!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 06:43 AM
64 123