02-22-16 01:46 PM
32 12
tools
    Hey people, do you think that we'll see a BlackBerry PRIV SE with upgraded internals this year? Since android world is a little bit of a spec war game I would be thrilled to see a priv se with Snapdragon 820, 4 GB of ram and stereo speakers with metal keyboard chassis and non squishy back . Almost forgot, better front cam also. What are your thoughts? Does it seem impossible?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-20-16 03:35 AM
    wait till 2017 for that to happen, BlackBerry is always very late to the game

Posted via CB10
    ProjectBrett and tryfe like this.
    02-20-16 04:20 AM
    Well I'm optimistic about an IFA announcement. Or sometime around August maybe.

02-20-16 04:31 AM
    Let's hope for the best . Sooner it comes better it is .

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    02-20-16 05:18 AM
    Also USB type C is a must. Flash disks are coming to market with type c so it would be cool to plug my photos or music to my phone.

02-20-16 05:28 AM
    I don't see it. The biggest complaint about this phone is the price, so I don't think an even more expensive device is the answer.

Stereo speakers and a better camera probably aren't possible in the vertical slider form factor without making the device thicker.
    02-20-16 05:30 AM
    Se passport was the cabled Porsche passport. I doubt there will be a se anything.
    02-20-16 05:48 AM
    It'd be nice but I do not think BlackBerry will churn out devices like Samsung. Just the one/two devices per every year or so in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-16 06:59 AM
    I don't see it. The biggest complaint about this phone is the price, so I don't think an even more expensive device is the answer.

Stereo speakers and a better camera probably aren't possible in the vertical slider form factor without making the device thicker.
    Well if the priv had sd 810 and no build quality issue it was OK with 700 bucks. Iphone 6S plus 64 GB costs 850 dollars. So if there are any priv 2 or se whatever you want to call it, it should have stereo speakers, SD820 and USB type C. By the way I am sure blackberry could have added a second speaker in that grill without bulking the phone. Not impossible in my opinion.

02-20-16 07:58 AM
    Well if the priv had sd 810 and no build quality issue it was OK with 700 bucks. Iphone 6S plus 64 GB costs 850 dollars. So if there are any priv 2 or se whatever you want to call it, it should have stereo speakers, SD820 and USB type C. By the way I am sure blackberry could have added a second speaker in that grill without bulking the phone. Not impossible in my opinion.

Average consumer doesn't care about processors, some do care about price. There are no real build quality issues, you'll find those in forums for any phone.

I don't consider two speakers in the same spot stereo really, but yeah they could probably do that.

I mean I would expect that if they made another generation of this phone that it would have updated specs like Type C but I don't see a special edition of the Priv coming out 4-6 months later with updated specs. Doesn't make any sense in terms of a business strategy.
    02-20-16 08:09 AM
    Also USB type C is a must. Flash disks are coming to market with type c so it would be cool to plug my photos or music to my phone.

You can already do that with an OTG cable. And I'm not sure how long that USB-C cable fiasco will last, I don't like my phones toasty.

Though I do agree USB-C should be in the plans. Maybe for a second-gen Priv, but not the refresh.

EDIT: For some odd reason mine refuses to recognize USB sticks, nothing is listed in /storage/usbotg, but FUSE is mounted on it.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 02-20-16 at 09:14 AM.
    02-20-16 09:03 AM
    If you would like to attract non traditional BlackBerry owners specs really do matter. The Priv has mostly been scrutinized for its midrange specs and flagship price. Most longtime BlackBerry users (including myself) are used to settling for less than flagship specs. If BlackBerry wants to really get back in the game they are going to need to be a little more competitive with the specs.
    hokie_prof likes this.
    02-20-16 09:05 AM
    If you would like to attract non traditional BlackBerry owners specs really do matter. The Priv has mostly been scrutinized for its midrange specs and flagship price. Most longtime BlackBerry users (including myself) are used to settling for less than flagship specs. If BlackBerry wants to really get back in the game they are going to need to be a little more competitive with the specs.
    Timing was an issue as well. If it came a few months earlier then it would be fine, alongside with the LG G4, which had the same specs and launched at $100 less. $100 for BB exclusive apps and the hardware keyboard is fair trade.
    irweezyy likes this.
    02-20-16 09:27 AM
    It has the same processor and RAM count that LG's and Motorola's 2015 flagship devices had.

Honestly I don't think there is any spec that will help BlackBerry turn a profit in Android. The only handset manufacturer profiting in Android is Samsung and they do that through marketing.
    02-20-16 09:29 AM
    Samsung makes profit because they throw every single spec available. Even though I don't like their design I must say they really make their phones top knotch. If priv had 810 or exynos (since they are friends with Samsung) and proper front cam they'd start to turn profit eventually. Priv is nice heck I bought one. If they make a Priv 2 this IFA it should have all the latest specs. Silver Edition should be the one that is released. Single high spec phone with extreme build quality.

02-20-16 10:05 AM
    Samsung makes profit because they throw every single spec available. Even though I don't like their design I must say they really make their phones top knotch. If priv had 810 or exynos (since they are friends with Samsung) and proper front cam they'd start to turn profit eventually. Priv is nice heck I bought one. If they make a Priv 2 this IFA it should have all the latest specs. Silver Edition should be the one that is released. Single high spec phone with extreme build quality.

Samsung does not make money off of their specs the average person doesn't understand RAM capacity or speed, processor cores or fabrication size. Their cameras are great and people care about that, but the average person doesn't understand aperture or micron size. People don't care to understand that stuff. The iPhone is the most popular phone in the world and it's not a heavy hitter in the spec department.

The only thing Samsung is truly doing a lot better than anyone else in the Android space is marketing. They're throwing a ton of money into it. They can afford to do that where other companies can't. After all, they have more employees than Apple, Microsoft, and Google combined.
    02-20-16 10:43 AM
    The iPhone is a whole different ball game and they perform. I have a back up iPhone 5s that runs a better Antutu benchmark than my Priv and almost double what my Passport did.
    02-20-16 07:54 PM
    It has the same processor and RAM count that LG's and Motorola's 2015 flagship devices had.

Honestly I don't think there is any spec that will help BlackBerry turn a profit in Android. The only handset manufacturer profiting in Android is Samsung and they do that through marketing.
    Moto x pure (2015) is a Moto midrange,the Droid Turbo 2 is the Moto flagship and it's price reflects it at about $200.00 more than it's mid range Moto x pure 808 brother's.

Lg g4 was not a success and was discounted quickly do to its lackluster performance. Lg v10 flagship build, awesome camera, lackluster performance.
    02-20-16 08:00 PM
    I think BlackBerry needs to set its sights higher than LG.
    02-20-16 08:01 PM
    Moto x pure (2015) is a Moto midrange,the Droid Turbo 2 is the Moto flagship and it's price reflects it at about $200.00 more than it's mid range Moto x pure 808 brother's.

Lg g4 was not a success and was discounted quickly do to its lackluster performance. Lg v10 flagship build, awesome camera, lackluster performance.
    The Moto X Pure was the only real flagship for months and the only one for the billions of people not on Verizon. Midrange phones don't have 1440p 5.7" screens and 3gb of RAM.

The V10 and G4 have lackluster performance because of LG's crappy skin. I have the Nexus 5X and it runs great on the 808.

No Android phone sold by anyone besides Samsung has been a financial success.
    02-20-16 08:05 PM
    Hey people, do you think that we'll see a BlackBerry PRIV SE with upgraded internals this year? Since android world is a little bit of a spec war game I would be thrilled to see a priv se with Snapdragon 820, 4 GB of ram and stereo speakers with metal keyboard chassis and non squishy back . Almost forgot, better front cam also. What are your thoughts? Does it seem impossible?

While this is all fine and dandy, and I would love to see it as well. It would be a terrible business decision.

They haven't sold much of their current stock, instead of taking on more debt they should focus on software enhancements.

Then if/when BB gets more than 0.5% market share, they can worry about putting out a new device.
    02-20-16 11:30 PM
    It would be cool, but i won't buy it, i spent to much on the priv, i expect to use it for at least 3 years. I will buy the vienna though haha.
    02-21-16 12:20 AM
    Well I know priv was a little expensive I would buy the SE in a heartbeat. SD820 and silver Edition chassis would be enough . Won't mind an extra speaker and a 5 MP wide angle front cam lens. People would not complain in anyways and the tech sites would do all the marketing for them. Since very little R&D will be involved, they could slash the price of the priv and make it a high end mid-range and have the Priv SE as the real flagship. Moreover, I think BlackBerry is testing the Android waters right now and as a first device it's done pretty well without the marketing. Don't worry about the software since it will get better with time. I used to have a Z Ultra and that phone just got better with every single software update.

I also believe that BlackBerry should have released the Priv with a SD820 this March. Bad move.

02-21-16 03:35 AM
    I don't know but I say no we won't. But I'm not JC and I'm not making the decisions for BlackBerry he is

02-21-16 08:58 PM
    It'd be nice but I do not think BlackBerry will churn out devices like Samsung. Just the one/two devices per every year or so in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Well JC did say that they will only put out that number of devices! I don't blame him BlackBerry can't afford it! Bb10 is great and the bb10 phones are awesome I've had all except for the z10 and any of the Porsche addition ones ! I'm planning on getting a z10 though just to have in my collection! I just hope that BlackBerry continues to stay profitable so that they can produce two phones a year

02-21-16 09:05 PM
32 12