But look, that's one of my old curves, I managed on those for years and had no complaints. It's only this gorgeous wide passport keyboard that I typed this on that makes the priv seem inadequate, still have yet to migrate from this passport to that priv.
    They say the priv keyboard is small-img_20161008_205244.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 02:58 PM
    I don't think it is small. The problem is the keyboard chassis is thin. That is why it is harder to type with respect to bold or such. If the keyboard is at the same height as the screen it would be pretty nice actually.
    WT44 likes this.
    10-08-16 04:28 PM
    I wonder if the played with a spring loaded keyboard idea so that as the slider slides up the keyboard would pop up to be level with the screen, but this would probably add too many moving parts.
    Anyway, I still am not using that priv so I can't really comment on the usability of the pkb, passport is a hard phone to retire no matter how nice priv is.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721458) likes this.
    10-08-16 04:42 PM
    The Priv keyboard is small in comparison to that of the Passport, however it is quite large in comparison to BlackBerry's previous slider models. As a keyboard on a slider phone goes, I would say it is more than adequate.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    10-08-16 05:38 PM
    I wonder if the played with a spring loaded keyboard idea so that as the slider slides up the keyboard would pop up to be level with the screen, but this would probably add too many moving parts.
    Anyway, I still am not using that priv so I can't really comment on the usability of the pkb, passport is a hard phone to retire no matter how nice priv is.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry has a patent on a keyboard design that is similar to what you describe, however obvious they decided against it in favor of the slide out option.

10-08-16 05:42 PM
    Wonder what the cost would be? 1200 $?
    10-08-16 05:50 PM
    Blackberry has a patent on a keyboard design that is similar to what you describe, however obvious they decided against it in favor of the slide out option.

And if folks complained about it like they do for the current 'creaking' than BB would never hear the end of it. Too many moving parts.
    jegs2 likes this.
    10-08-16 06:10 PM
    They cant win, we are far far far too fragmented now. They gave us too much choice in the past where apple said this is it, this is our offering blackberry offered bolds and curves and storms and torches and we all want something and everything and nothing.
    I like my priv I just don't know if I like it as much as my passport.

I typed this on passport keyboard in stupid fast speed, I dunno if I will be as quick on priv .

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 06:18 PM
    I came directly from the Black Passport to the Priv. In comparison, I hated the transition. I also had a hard time getting used to the Passport though. Took me a good 4-5 months before I was really comfortable with the Passport's keyboard. So Ill give a similar timeframe before I can fully make a judgement call.

However, the keys are softer and smaller than what I was used to.

Its nice to have the option to type on a physical keyboard though.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-08-16 06:52 PM
    I've never had a pkb phone BlackBerry or otherwise so I've nothing to compare to but I like the priv pkb. Like the vkb too fr that matter. By far the fastest and most accurate I've been with a smartphone

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    10-08-16 06:58 PM
    They cant win, we are far far far too fragmented now. They gave us too much choice in the past where apple said this is it, this is our offering blackberry offered bolds and curves and storms and torches and we all want something and everything and nothing.
    I like my priv I just don't know if I like it as much as my passport.

I typed this on passport keyboard in stupid fast speed, I dunno if I will be as quick on priv .

Posted via CB10
    Well, type it again!!!!!
    10-08-16 07:09 PM
    I had a curve 9220. Liked it so much I had two. Then migrated to the Q10. Liked it so much I got a second one as well. Really wanted to try out the Passport, but with the dwindling app support, had to relegate the Q10 as a secondary phone in tandem with my Note. Finally took the plunge with the Priv last month, and I'm just ecstatic. It's now my primary phone. The great thing is that the Priv vkb is so good, I only use its pkb rarely. For what it's worth, I'd say the Priv pkb is almost as good as that of the Q10. The thin chassis definitely makes typing on the pkb challenging and involves some learning curve. I'm definitely faster typing on the vkb, but I still value having the pkb for that tactile fix.

andy957 likes this.
    10-08-16 10:36 PM
    I don't think it is small. The problem is the keyboard chassis is thin. That is why it is harder to type with respect to bold or such. If the keyboard is at the same height as the screen it would be pretty nice actually.
    The correct term is key travel. Same reason why a ThinkPad keyboard feels WAY better than a Macbook keyboard. Try typing on one of those overpriced netbooks, even a Priv beats it in feel (I'm dead serious).
    andy957 likes this.
    10-08-16 10:40 PM
    Or is the OP looking for actual height (thickness) regardless of key travel since the slider removes x from that dimension.
    10-09-16 02:29 AM
    The correct term is key travel. Same reason why a ThinkPad keyboard feels WAY better than a Macbook keyboard. Try typing on one of those overpriced netbooks, even a Priv beats it in feel (I'm dead serious).
    I always thought key travel was how much the keys were apart from each other.
    10-09-16 06:44 AM
    But look, that's one of my old curves, I managed on those for years and had no complaints. It's only this gorgeous wide passport keyboard that I typed this on that makes the priv seem inadequate, still have yet to migrate from this passport to that priv.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161008_205244.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	409752

Posted via CB10
    I've adjusted to even using a PKB since moving from BBOS to BB10 with both the Z10 and Z30. The Priv is the first PKB I've had in years but in comparison to the 9900 and the Classic's PKB the Priv falls short. Nevertheless, I've learnt to use it and just having a PKB to complement the VBK is awesome.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    10-09-16 08:35 AM
    I always thought key travel was how much the keys were apart from each other.
    That's key pitch.
    Matty, eldricho, ardakca and 2 others like this.
    10-09-16 09:15 AM
    That's key pitch.
    Thanks for the enlightenment
    10-09-16 10:55 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161008_205244.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	409752

Posted via CB10
    in my opinion, if the key travel was a little more, then i would have a better typing experience. If the put the Blackberry Classic keys on it. I think there would have been far less complaints. But i personally had no issue typing on it.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    10-09-16 01:00 PM
    That's mostly people that came from the passport. They keyboard size is more than fine. If i pick my old 9700, feels claustrofobic compared to my priv, yet, I used to type very well on the 9700
    10-09-16 04:28 PM
    Here's a scaled size comparison of the Classic, PRIV, and Passport keyboards with the top rows aligned.
    The height of the PRIVs three Qwerty key rows are a bit shorter than the Priv's and about 12% shorter than the Classics.
    The width of the PRIVs Qwerty key rows are about the same as the Classics and about 18% narrower than the Passports.
    Attached Thumbnails They say the priv keyboard is small-bb-keyboards-compared-1009a.jpg  
    cbvinh, jegs2, AZN and 2 others like this.
    10-09-16 04:44 PM
    I have used both the passport and the Priv which I have had since it was launched here in the US.

I find the slide out keyboard is more then adequate for the pkb typing I do. I mainly use the touch screen keyboard which I say is the best one out there.

Most of the time I find myself using the slide out keyboard for the capacitive mouse function which I find is very handy when navigating websites.
    10-09-16 08:01 PM
    The keyboard is actually pretty good in later builds

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    10-09-16 09:32 PM
    It is small I use the screen now! But yes I am coming from the passport

10-09-16 10:28 PM
    I found the actuation depth to be more of an issue. That and the uniformity of the keys themselves...they're so thin that the sculpting is less apparent. And the Priv pkb was just genuinely kind of mushy.

That said, I'm honestly surprised by the size comparison. I suppose it's an optical illusion that many of us find the Priv's PKB to be small (as the Priv is large overall).

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 11:20 PM
63 123