02-22-19 06:18 PM
41 12
tools
    Pardon my stupid question...when you say already backed up...is that because the Priv is "sync'ed" with your desktop/laptop and all your emails, contacts, and calendar are there already (because the two are mirror image, same same, etc.). Being a tech *****, I don't know the right terminology, LOL. Thanks in advance.
    Certain Email clients like Google (gmail) do backup or sync more than email and include calendar and contacts. There are others, too, that do that. When initially setting up some of these, the Priv will ask if you want to sync with them. Things like notes and docs would be up to you although, the Priv's Main Settings has a BACKUP option. Not sure of what it completely encompasses.

As an aside, it is odd that the Signup allowed you to select a name including the word i-diot but won't let us enter it into a reply!
    08-10-16 09:26 AM
    I should be able to plug my phone into my computer at night, have it charge and have it back up all data, pictures, music, every single thing to my computer . . .
    . . . is there a free app that will do that? That will literally back up EVERYTHING on my Priv to my computer just by plugging it in?
    I never saw an answer to this. I looked at Airdroid, but that doesn't seem to be the right fit.

I'd like to be able to back up my Priv (on my computer, not a cloud), so that if I break it or lose it, I can restore everything to a new one.
    colettee, troubl3dman and TLSTWIN like this.
    08-17-17 10:54 AM
    I am waiting for the Desktop Manager BlackBerry apparently promised.

The phone should never had made it to market without one. I should be able to plug my phone into my computer at night, have it charge and have it back up all data, pictures, music, every single thing to my computer automatically.

Just like all previous BlackBerrys...

In the meantime, is there a free app that will do that? That will literally back up EVERYTHING on my Priv to my computer just by plugging it in?
    any help on this?
    03-25-18 03:25 PM
    I never saw an answer to this. I looked at Airdroid, but that doesn't seem to be the right fit.

I'd like to be able to back up my Priv (on my computer, not a cloud), so that if I break it or lose it, I can restore everything to a new one.
    +1
    03-25-18 03:25 PM
    I did put my phone in developer mode again and then had to go into the setting ang grant permissions for MTP and PTP. I was able to get some files backed up, but it seems like some things are still not accessible, like password keeper and even some photo file folders I created.
    03-25-18 08:39 PM
    Don't think we will ever see a desktop mngr for Android. And I 'd like to see your source for the 'promise' from BB that we would get it.
    Android is not an OS as the BB OS's or IOS is, it's a platform to run apps. Your contacts for example, can be any of 100 or more different apps, depending on which one you chose. Same for your camera, and your picture gallery. It would be nearly impossible to write a desktop program that could interact with all those apps. Then the developer would have to keep it current for every update to those thousands of apps.
    It could be done if you were given a list of apps that could be used, for example, only those apps that came stock with the phone. But that would defeat the whole idea behind Android.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-26-18 07:13 PM
    Don't think we will ever see a desktop mngr for Android. And I 'd like to see your source for the 'promise' from BB that we would get it.
    Android is not an OS as the BB OS's or IOS is, it's a platform to run apps. Your contacts for example, can be any of 100 or more different apps, depending on which one you chose. Same for your camera, and your picture gallery. It would be nearly impossible to write a desktop program that could interact with all those apps. Then the developer would have to keep it current for every update to those thousands of apps.
    It could be done if you were given a list of apps that could be used, for example, only those apps that came stock with the phone. But that would defeat the whole idea behind Android.
    I am new to BB, but my Samsung phones I could just plug in my USB cord and copy everything to my PC.

Why can't it be that simple for BB?
    PB Canada likes this.
    03-26-18 07:27 PM
    We pretty much could under Lollipop, when the phone was treated as a USB drive. You can prob do it now, if you know what your doing, ( I don't). But copying everything is a far different thing than the BB desktop manager.
    Don't really know what Samsung does, the few times I've messed with it, I really didn't like it. Android is screwy enough without a manufacturer adding more screwyness on top. And not even allowing you to disable a good part of it.
    I use an app called 'Super Backup and Restore' to back stuff up to SD. The only thing I really miss is having sent emails synced on phone and desktop. There's plenty of ways to do that, I just don't want to mess with all thats involved, and since my primary business email is hosted on my own domain, it's not straight forward.
    03-26-18 09:29 PM
    I just use Android File Transfer for Mac. Simply plug it in, switch to MTP in developer options, and the program opens up automatically. Simple interface, no bells and whistles at all
    03-27-18 05:53 AM
    If you just want to back up then Airdroid on google play works great. Basically you view your entire phone on your computer...so can just save everything over.

https://www.airdroid.com/
    I am a bit worried about Airdroid because after reading the explanation of how it works on their website, the app team is obviously not from native English speakers, (the way they don't conjugate the verbs and drop articles of nouns). It's not prejudice against non-English speakers, but rather my radar goes on when I read things like that - similar to scam emails or text messages. I just feel that the company (and its backup system/ cloud storage) is located some place where I don't trust the security. Does anyone have any insight into that?
    12-16-18 02:14 PM
    One other thing about what everyone has suggested so far - no one has addressed the problem of how to back up all BB proper apps onto one's computer (preferably) or in a trusted cloud app.

"MS Office" just backs up MS Office notes & tasks etc. "Google" mirrors/backs up all Google-related things like calendars, emails, and gmail contacts & photos taken with your Priv's camera. "Syncios" will back up contacts not on gmail, and will back up pictures, and some texts, but not much else. "Android file transfer for Mac" is just that - for Macs and not for PCs. What some of us are looking for is how to back up pure BlackBerry apps but not onto the phone itself. For example: BlackBerry Messenger texts, BlackBerry Messenger photos, BlackBerry Tasks, BlackBerry Notes and SMS Backup (maybe not a pure BB developed app). I believe that all of these just backup onto the phone itself and not into the cloud, and there is not a way that I can find from reading the BB Transfer App material "How To" that explains how to transfer all of this to one's computer - which I think is what most of us want to do.

The apps in my list above are not Google apps and so are not mirrored when one opens up one's own Google files via gmail or whatever. Likewise, there is no place on, e.g. the Notes or the BBM app that displays a menu of how to send a copy to, say Dropbox or to your computer, for instance.

In Notes, for example, you can go one note at a time and send it to Google Drive, but that takes time. No way to backup all of them at once. Ditto for BBM - you can send a conversation to your gmail account and you can then download it and store it on your computer. But seriously, somewhere, there MUST be a program that will take all of the non-Google stuff and back it all up for you - to be then placed in the cloud of your choice (e.g. Dropbox) or onto your own computer, which would be my preference.

Apologies for length of this, but I think that most people are not understanding the main point of this thread's overall question - how to backup - especially purely BB apps - to one's computer (preferably). But I wouldn't mind a how-to for everything -e.g. screenshots , Snapchat pix, and the like. Thanks.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    12-16-18 03:08 PM
    Basically you can't. I use Syncios when my PRIV packed up. Got everything except notes, so switched to SimpleNote.
    12-23-18 02:58 AM
    So, the end result is that you cannot back up the entire device? Backing up "app by app" could be onerous, no? Emails, calendar, contacts, text messages, photos, notes, to do, and more? Seems like a lot to back up, and even if you did, now you have a series of different backed up "files" for lack of a better word.

Is this what most people are doing -- backing up app by app? Thanks.
    01-01-19 10:43 AM
    I haven't used an Android phone in awhile but I remember Titanium Backup being quite good. Not sure if it goes beyond the apps themselves. Pretty sure there's an option on the phones themselves to sync data to the cloud too, so maybe a combo of those two? (And a microsd card for important files/pics/videos)

Posted via CB10
    01-02-19 07:03 PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions, i am trying to switch from a priv to another so i am just wondering what the easiest way to do so

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Have you tried BB's 'Content Transfer' that comes with the Priv. I used it to transfer from my Q10 - eezee peezee!
    01-10-19 12:50 PM
    I used Syncios and it backed up everything except my Notes.
    02-22-19 06:18 PM
41 12