http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1044588

After all the puffing, the only concrete information stated is that the Android Runtime will not be updated, and only security and privacy patches will follow. Hard to see the silver lining there.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Better than EOL to me

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 03:05 PM
    Better than EOL to me

Posted via CB10
    Shot in the gut instead of shot in the head...

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 03:10 PM
    Good point, so why it seems to be so damn difficult for BlackBerry to write drivers for their own platform, make no sense to me,but them again I don't know much about coding it just seems logical that they wouldn't have any problems doing it....right?
    Also what if the "enterprise " market wants their bb10 version? Are they going to say no?
    The problem is that there are so few employees left that they don't have the time to work on projects like this.

Sure, if a major buyer really wanted a BB10 Priv BlackBerry could make it a priority, but if such a buyer existed they would probably be buying Passports or Classics already. Its not like the slider format is what enterprise was waiting for.
    10-26-15 03:22 PM
    No. BlackBerry will not be making any future BlackBerry 10 phones & you will not be able to flash it because BlackBerry 10 does not have and will not have the drivers needed to run this phone, even in future iterations.
    Nice try Thorsten Heins.

Z10 10.3.2.2639 via CB10
    10-26-15 03:28 PM

In Squircle I Trust
    10-26-15 03:33 PM
    That's fancy talk for "dead". Unfortunately.

I would say "dormant".

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    10-26-15 03:38 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1044588

After all the puffing, the only concrete information stated is that the Android Runtime will not be updated, and only security and privacy patches will follow. Hard to see the silver lining there.

I understand about the Android Runtime and the OHA, but wonder why BlackBerry couldn't ask for an exception to this blatantly anticompetitive agreement, given that it was issuing a new device with full Android on it. But maybe BlackBerry doesn't want an exception made so that BlackBerry Passport owners will want to buy the Priv. This happy Passport SE owner isn't going to ditch it for an Android device, but then I don't need any apps I don't already have, even if the apps run a little slower and with some glitches at times. And there are people who live in my house who might not like it if I forked over another $700 US so soon after buying the SE. I won't say who those people are, but I do have to answer to them or I'm in other sorts of trouble.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 04:10 PM
    I understand about the Android Runtime and the OHA, but wonder why BlackBerry couldn't ask for an exception to this blatantly anticompetitive agreement, given that it was issuing a new device with full Android on it.

Posted via CB10
    It's precisely BECAUSE they are issuing a new device with full Android on it that they can't further develop the Android Runtime, or include it at all on any new devices. Not that they have any developers left to do it anyway.

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-26-15 04:18 PM
    Don't shoot me, but I have a contact that claims there will be a bb10 version. When asked a direct question about a bb10 priv I was told yes and there will be more to come. No I won't reveal the source. But he seems very much in the know.

Posted via CB10
    mania626 and Jrox74 like this.
    10-26-15 04:51 PM
    Anything is possible...will it happen...wait and see!

Posted via CB10 - Z10 /STL100-3/ 0S10.3.2.2474
    10-26-15 04:53 PM
    It's precisely BECAUSE they are issuing a new device with full Android on it that they can't further develop the Android Runtime, or include it at all on any new devices. Not that they have any developers left to do it anyway.

Oh. On both counts. Nuts. I remember your talking about the OHA or whatever agreement earlier. Still sounds like an antitrust issue to me, certainly anticompetitive, and it only serves to hurt consumers. As for the absence of the BlackBerry developers, I guess it makes the point moot, anyway. What a disappointment BlackBerry as a company is. Loyalty works both ways. What BlackBerry did amounted to a self fulfilling prophesy.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 04:55 PM
    Don't shoot me, but I have a contact that claims there will be a bb10 version. When asked a direct question about a bb10 priv I was told yes and there will be more to come. No I won't reveal the source. But he seems very much in the know.

Posted via CB10
    Does he work for a carrier or sells mobile phones?

Z10 10.3.2.2639 via CB10
    10-26-15 06:08 PM
    Does he work for a carrier or sells mobile phones?

Z10 10.3.2.2639 via CB10
    Not at liberty to discuss credentials or disseminate that info nor would I. But I consider this a reliable source.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 06:35 PM
    BB10 please. I don't mind if they evolve the OS to something new.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 07:13 PM
    The bottom line is that none of us truly know. Chen has flat out dodged the question whenever asked but most seem to be in agreement that BB10 is most likely over. The only concrete thing that Chen has said is that the market will dictate what happens next and that BB10 is crucial to the medical establishment and "high security". It is still plausible that another BB10 device lands in 2016 but whether it would be available to the consumer market or not will need to be seen. Keep in mind that back before BlackBerry became the King of smartphones the phones themselves were meant for professionals and others who needed to get stuff done. This helped create the allure of status symbol and brought in the sales.

I know a lot of users around here are of the impression that consumers don't care about security/privacy, to which I disagree. I think it better to say that most want security/privacy but they just assume they already have it. Yeah, the younger "share everything" generation may appear to be aloof but do you think they really want their identity stolen or bank accounts compromised? Of course not. And pretty much everyone my age and especially those who are older definitely want security and privacy. The issue is that it is all just assumed out of the box. When my mom makes a financial transaction with her phone she just assumes that everything will be encrypted, safe, secure, all of that even though she has no idea what any of that is.

My point is that with phones like the Priv and BlackPhone 2 and things like Android for Work and Knox, consumers will become more security savvy and look for options to meet their needs. It is possible that from this regard BB10 gains traction in a year or two. Then again they would need at least one device other than the square Passport or old-school Classic.

Got sidetracked, blame the morning coffee for that....

BlackBerry may not develop the drivers necessary to run BB10 on a device like the Priv. Or they might. It is to have become common knowledge that the Priv is BBs last attempt to make it or break it, but what if it is not? What if sales of the Priv are decent but not good enough and BB decides to release a BB10 version to pick up the slack? As I stated in a different thread BlackBerry now has all the necessary drivers with the Priv and it would not be difficult at all to put those drivers into BB10. Now whether or not BB10 would need to updated to become a 64-bit OS, I dunno. I know on desktops it would not matter as you can run a 32-bit desktop OS on 64-bit chips but not sure if mobile chips share this same architectural feature considering there are more players in the mobile market besides Intel and AMD.

If BlackBerry does not develop the drivers surely you can imagine someone around these parts doing so. It wouldn't be the first time someone created a solution to a BlackBerry "problem".
    Great analysis.

I share the same opinion regarding the BB10 gaining traction.

Only time will tell, but I do think there is a BB10 or 11 in the future.

PIN 2COF829A
    10-26-15 09:55 PM
    Oh. On both counts. Nuts. I remember your talking about the OHA or whatever agreement earlier. Still sounds like an antitrust issue to me, certainly anticompetitive, and it only serves to hurt consumers. As for the absence of the BlackBerry developers, I guess it makes the point moot, anyway. What a disappointment BlackBerry as a company is. Loyalty works both ways. What BlackBerry did amounted to a self fulfilling prophesy.
    I wonder how long the OHA would stand up before antitrust regulators would smack it down. I think somewhere in Europe it is currently under scrutiny.
    10-27-15 09:50 AM
    Shot in the gut instead of shot in the head...
    Makes the cosmetic job easier for the mortician and at least we can have the open casket for the final farewell.
    10-27-15 10:10 AM
    I wonder how long the OHA would stand up before antitrust regulators would smack it down. I think somewhere in Europe it is currently under scrutiny.
    I'm not sure why it is unfair though. From Google's standpoint, if you voluntarily request their services and apps to promote your device(s), then you have to agree not to work against them at the same time with other devices.

Seems like an equitable arrangement.

JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-27-15 10:20 AM
    With the Priv. That's where BlackBerry as we all know and love ends. Unless your enterprise then yes. OS10 will be still around. Isn't it weird that OS10 will stay around for security for enterprise but not for the consumer??? Android can not be secure like OS10. And government and other enterprise company would not put there trust in Android that's a joke.!! Apple has better security then that! I will stick too my Q10 as long as I can at least till march 2016. I would never go too a Android platform. Apple is the last too have there own OS System and they would never sale out. Like BlackBerry did too there loyal customers. I would have been happy if BlackBerry said we will not sale devices but will update your OS10 twice a month. Or whenever so keep your passport or Q10 or whatever. I would have been fine them going Android too make money. Ok my rant for the day. I will enjoy my Secure day. Hahaha! And know my OS has not slept with every 3rd party platform out there. 

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 10:33 AM
    Twice a Year what I ment. Haha. Updating a OS10. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 10:35 AM
    With the Priv. That's where BlackBerry as we all know and love ends. Unless your enterprise then yes. OS10 will be still around. Isn't it weird that OS10 will stay around for security for enterprise but not for the consumer??? Android can not be secure like OS10. And government and other enterprise company would not put there trust in Android that's a joke.!! Apple has better security then that! I will stick too my Q10 as long as I can at least till march 2016. I would never go too a Android platform. Apple is the last too have there own OS System and they would never sale out. Like BlackBerry did too there loyal customers. I would have been happy if BlackBerry said we will not sale devices but will update your OS10 twice a month. Or whenever so keep your passport or Q10 or whatever. I would have been fine them going Android too make money. Ok my rant for the day. I will enjoy my Secure day. Hahaha! And know my OS has not slept with every 3rd party platform out there. 

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry will get all of the certifications they need for Enterprise. They just need a bit of time, and BB10 will be available in the interim.

The Priv on BES12 will be very secure. The device can be locked out if it has been tampered with, work and personal sides are separate, and only vetted apps can be installed.

From Inside BlackBerry:

Bringing BlackBerry Security to Android

BlackBerry has applied its world-renowned security model to Android, including:

BlackBerry�s Hardware Root of Trust, a unique manufacturing process that injects cryptographic keys into the device hardware, providing a secure foundation for the entire platform.

Verified Boot and Secure Bootchain, which uses the embedded keys to verify every layer of the device from hardware to OS to applications in order to make sure they haven�t been tampered with.

A hardened Linux kernel with numerous patches and configuration changes to improve security.

FIPS 140-2 compliant full disk encryption on by default to protect your privacy.

The BlackBerry Infrastructure, a secure distributed global network that transmits petabytes of encrypted data to and from the world�s most powerful leaders and professionals.

BES12, the leading Enterprise Mobility Management platform used by the world�s most powerful governments and corporations.

Polaris2222 likes this.
    10-27-15 10:44 AM
    Then why could they not just sale the Android system too these Government? Tell you why it's not secure. That's a BlackBerry platform that's salesman blog. The Government would never put anything on a platform with Android period. It's for consumer not for security. Apps and what not. Which is great if that's your thing. BlackBerry and the Enterprise they do business with are not dum and know what BlackBerry has too offer. If BlackBerry wants too solicit there platform go right ahead. But don't do it with the OS10. Enterprise has spoken. Sale that other junk too the consumer

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 10:57 AM
    Then why could they not just sale the Android system too these Government? Tell you why it's not secure. That's a BlackBerry platform that's salesman blog. The Government would never put anything on a platform with Android period. It's for consumer not for security. Apps and what not. Which is great if that's your thing. BlackBerry and the Enterprise they do business with are not dum and know what BlackBerry has too offer. If BlackBerry wants too solicit there platform go right ahead. But don't do it with the OS10. Enterprise has spoken. Sale that other junk too the consumer

Posted via CB10
    Yes, Enterprise has spoken. They aren't buying BB10 devices. Never did.

There are far, far more Android devices used by Enterprise than BB10 devices. Orders of magnitude more.

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-27-15 10:59 AM
    Great analysis.

I share the same opinion regarding the BB10 gaining traction.

Only time will tell, but I do think there is a BB10 or 11 in the future.

PIN 2COF829A
    BlackBerry simply put too much time and effort into BB10 to now toss it to the side. My opinion is that they are not only going to eventually bring the security of BB10 to Android but also the best of BB10, too. For example, Android is heavily gesture/swipe based as well, so that is already there. Now when you add in the functionality of Material Design it is plausible that BlackBerry could implement their own swiping gestures to Android and have those swipes work the same from anywhere in the phone. Does that mean the swipes would be the same as found in BB10? Not really. My guess would be that they implement something that would please both BB10 diehards and Android users; new but familiar enough to each.

Material Design should also allow app integration into the OS throughout as well to the point where the app has that "baked in" feel that has with BB10--as if they app, say Calendar for example, is a part of the OS itself.

If you look to the past there is indication that BlackBerry was heading towards an eventual merge between BB10 and Android. My original thoughts were that it would be BB10 with an ever improving and expanding ART to the point where ART itself became not only an environment within BB10 but a full-fledged part of the OS itself. Now I think it is going to be the opposite: "BB10" being implemented deeper and deeper into Android.

Another piece of proof is something that Chen said at Code/Mobile; something to the effect of Android on BlackBerry reaching the point to where users "won't know the difference". Now, the overarching theme under which this comment was framed was regarding security, however with Chen you have to take into account what he is not saying as much as what he is. When he made that comment he did not specifically mention the security aspect so it is plausible that what he was really saying was alluding to an overall "sameness" between current BB10 and the future Android on Priv moreso than any differences between BB10 and Android. Once again you need to look into the past for the clues: If Chen does not specifically say it, it is still on the table, possibly.

Here is something Chen wrote for the Inside BlackBerry blog:

BlackBerry and Android: Expanding Our World | Inside BlackBerry

"There will be a camp that reacts to this news with surprise, while others will see how, over the past two years, we�ve laid the groundwork to make this possible. It began with honing in on our DNA of security, privacy and productivity, and then bringing that heritage and continued innovation to other operating systems."

I highlighted the key message in this paragraph, which is also the thesis for the entire blog post.

And then this from the same link:

"There is continued demand for our flagship BlackBerry 10 devices like BlackBerry Passport and Classic by consumers, enterprises and regulated industries. These devices � combined with our network � offer peerless security and productivity advantages. They�re not going away."

Here, the highlighted sentence is interesting. It is simultaneously a conclusion to the paragraph and its own statement. Is Chen saying that those who demand BB10 flagships will not go away? Or is he saying that BB10 flagship handsets will not go away? The clue is in what he is not saying; he did not write that there would be a Passport 2 or Classic 2. The lead in are "These devices-", which of course is reference to the previously mentioned [current] Passport and Classic. Considering that these users will eventually need both an updated OS and device, one conclusion that can be drawn is a new OS that would satisfy existing customers combined with "heritage and innovation to other operating systems". With the key word being "heritage", hence, BB11.

I know this is out there and many don't share my thoughts here but one is clear from BlackBerry and more importantly from Chen: we simply do not know.
    10-27-15 11:03 AM
    Interesting that the "Who is not getting the PREV has more comment then any?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 11:37 AM
61 123