I've been following him in the blog forums and gave a really interesting breakdown on the app gap issue with bbos10 and the eventual breakdown of developers wanting to port over apps to bbos10 with the very limited jellybean runtime! It makes total sense now why BlackBerry moved to android!!! Check it out!!

https://abass.co/blog/android-blackberry-good-business

 вιaсĸвεггч� Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.2.2639 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB 
    JGoodard, abass and anon4226395 like this.
    11-04-15 12:08 AM
    good read indeed. Sad to see the dying platform that I keep wanting to go back to. Bah, I'll stick to my 9900 for BlackBerry lol.
    abass and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    11-04-15 08:58 AM
    He makes two good points:

1. App developers want users more than they want a cheque just to write an app for a non-popular platform
    2. I'd rather have BB hardware still in the game running Android instead of having them drop out of the handset market completely

Apps require a lot of money to maintain and support. We've seen tons of examples of app devs releasing an app for BB10, only to never update them again. This leads to incompatibility with newer OS releases, or even new phones (due to form factor, etc). So who knows, maybe they got a payout to bring the app over but without proper maintenance it's all for nothing.

Even BlackBerry themselves can't seem to keep their own apps up to date sometimes. Look at the BB10 Facebook app. It's next to broken at this point.

So yes, as sad as it is to see BB10 put on the shelf, I'm not sure if they have any other choice. Let's see how they do in Android land. I'm hoping they can make a difference and stand out as a real competitor above the cookie-cutter vendors out there.
    abass likes this.
    11-04-15 09:18 AM
    I've been following him in the blog forums and gave a really interesting breakdown on the app gap issue with bbos10 and the eventual breakdown of developers wanting to port over apps to bbos10 with the very limited jellybean runtime! It makes total sense now why BlackBerry moved to android!!! Check it out!!

https://abass.co/blog/android-blackberry-good-business

 вιaсĸвεггч� Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.2.2639 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB 
    Ahh haha, actually just saw this post.. Was skimming around on my analytics today and saw a little blip and wondered where it was from. Glad you enjoyed the article (:

I know I got a lot of hate for it because many are disappointed by what's happening to BB10 and feel like I'm just jumping ship. For the record, I love BB10, but I (like many others) just have to be realistic to the situation that is happening. I mean I have a PRIV now and it was incredibly difficult to transition from BB10 to Android.. There are many places where I feel much less efficient.. But I'm beginning to get used to it, and I, as a business owner, really appreciate having many native apps integral to my business (Google Drive, ProsperWorks (CRM), QuickBooks Online, banking/credit card apps, etc.) - Yes, a few worked on BB10, but the runtime has always just been a throw-together solution and very few Android apps gave proper notifications and the loading times/unexpected crashes finally got to me. It's a shame for sure, but like I said in the article and as xtremesniper pointed out:

I'd rather have BB hardware still in the game running Android instead of having them drop out of the handset market completely
    11-13-15 02:24 AM
    Ahh haha, actually just saw this post.. Was skimming around on my analytics today and saw a little blip and wondered where it was from. Glad you enjoyed the article (:

I know I got a lot of hate for it because many are disappointed by what's happening to BB10 and feel like I'm just jumping ship. For the record, I love BB10, but I (like many others) just have to be realistic to the situation that is happening. I mean I have a PRIV now and it was incredibly difficult to transition from BB10 to Android.. There are many places where I feel much less efficient.. But I'm beginning to get used to it, and I, as a business owner, really appreciate having many native apps integral to my business (Google Drive, ProsperWorks (CRM), QuickBooks Online, banking/credit card apps, etc.) - Yes, a few worked on BB10, but the runtime has always just been a throw-together solution and very few Android apps gave proper notifications and the loading times/unexpected crashes finally got to me. It's a shame for sure, but like I said in the article and as xtremesniper pointed out:
    I don't know. I was a BlackBerry fan, but I feel like there's a lot more of Mike L's vision at Microsoft and Apple these days than at BlackBerry. There's probably more top BlackBerry talent there, too. After recent reports of layoffs, I'm not even sure BlackBerry will be designing the hardware for future devices.

At this point, if you are a BlackBerry user who embraces Alex's argument about Android, I'd recommend checking out the Moto X or waiting for January / February and picking up the new Note with an 820 or the new 820-based LG phone. The Priv is not price or value competitive. Check out the following review:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...ant-compete/1/

For BlackBerry users who just want a good phone that is secure and does the essentials and productivity stuff really well, I'd check out the Lumia 950XL. It has some cool innovative features like a fast iris scanner and continuum, but it's really just great at the basics. Faster CPU, much better camera, fastest browser (Edge universal app), great phone dialer app with Skype integration, etc. To be honest, I don't know whether all the cool stuff Nadella is throwing at ecosystem growth will help or hinder, but for those who want a phone that excels at what you use it for 80% of the time, I think the 950XL is a good bet. I've played with one at a store, but I don't think they'll be on sale for a couple of weeks.

For BlackBerry users who agree with Chen and Bass that it's all about the apps and for those who want an app player with a phone built in, I recommend the iPhone 6s. iOS has a much, much, much higher quality ecosystem than the Priv's Android ecosystem. And here's something that will scare you, most IT people will tell you that the iPhone is more secure, too. iOS has improved greatly and it's kernel is now the brainchild of the best talent formerly at QNX. If rumor has it, the iPhone 7 will loose it's home button and be gesture-driven like BB10. Right now, multitasking on iOS will feel a little like the Playbook in terms of UI, but all in all, much more flow-like than Android. iOS has a lot of other advantages, too, but you can ask an Apple fanboy about them. I don't know if I can bring myself to buy one no matter how obvious Chen makes the case for me to go ahead and do so.

The one option that makes no sense is the BlackBerry Priv. The only exception would be if you absolutely need that physical keyboard. Might wait for the Vienna for that, though...

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn likes this.
    11-13-15 04:55 AM
    All of the above lack privacy. Windows has always spied on its users.
    Skype is the epitomy of that.

It's true that some IT people would tell you to stay away from android. Even those who have used Linux/unix for over 20 years. They'd rather use an Iphone than an android phone.

However, I have the latest macbook 12 inch, I hate it. Multitasking is inferior to the passport. I'll go back to my 4-year old Linux laptop as soon as I get back from my year-long travels around the world.

So right now, I see no replacement for BB10 on my phone and Suse Linux on my laptop.
    11-13-15 05:09 AM
    I don't know. I was a BlackBerry fan, but I feel like there's a lot more of Mike L's vision at Microsoft and Apple these days than at BlackBerry. There's probably more top BlackBerry talent there, too. After recent reports of layoffs, I'm not even sure BlackBerry will be designing the hardware for future devices.

At this point, if you are a BlackBerry user who embraces Alex's argument about Android, I'd recommend checking out the Moto X or waiting for January / February and picking up the new Note with an 820 or the new 820-based LG phone. The Priv is not price or value competitive. Check out the following review:

For BlackBerry users who just want a good phone that is secure and does the essentials and productivity stuff really well, I'd check out the Lumia 950XL. It has some cool innovative features like a fast iris scanner and continuum, but it's really just great at the basics. Faster CPU, much better camera, fastest browser (Edge universal app), great phone dialer app with Skype integration, etc. To be honest, I don't know whether all the cool stuff Nadella is throwing at ecosystem growth will help or hinder, but for those who want a phone that excels at what you use it for 80% of the time, I think the 950XL is a good bet. I've played with one at a store, but I don't think they'll be on sale for a couple of weeks.

For BlackBerry users who agree with Chen and Bass that it's all about the apps and for those who want an app player with a phone built in, I recommend the iPhone 6s. iOS has a much, much, much higher quality ecosystem than the Priv's Android ecosystem. And here's something that will scare you, most IT people will tell you that the iPhone is more secure, too. iOS has improved greatly and it's kernel is now the brainchild of the best talent formerly at QNX. If rumor has it, the iPhone 7 will loose it's home button and be gesture-driven like BB10. Right now, multitasking on iOS will feel a little like the Playbook in terms of UI, but all in all, much more flow-like than Android. iOS has a lot of other advantages, too, but you can ask an Apple fanboy about them. I don't know if I can bring myself to buy one no matter how obvious Chen makes the case for me to go ahead and do so.

The one option that makes no sense is the BlackBerry Priv. The only exception would be if you absolutely need that physical keyboard. Might wait for the Vienna for that, though...

Posted via CB10
    You forgot the guy who was waiting for a vertical slider since the Pre 3 in your "recommendations".
    11-13-15 05:17 AM

Best review I ever saw. Although I haven't tried a Priv I believe the quality issues such as cheap material, imprecise parts and imperfect build are factual -- based on similar issues with the Passport brand. Although most potential users hesitates and most reviewers are skeptical, this review is the first one pointing out that it is a failure and it fails for low technical values, not BlackBerry's marketing efforts.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    11-13-15 09:19 AM