That's almost 900USD and close to 1100CAD

That's way too expensive. I suspect BlackBerry may have price arrangements based on country. Not many mainline Android or BlackBerry users in Canada are going to dish out 1200 bucks for a premium BlackBerry Android phone when they can buy a Premium non-BB android for 700 or the Google nexus phones for 350-400

Oh my

Posted via CB10
    Can purchase a One plus 2 with has the same specs and is $300. I really want BlackBerry to do well but if they out price themselves it won't sell.

Apparently my opinion is crazy but I say BlackBerry need to keep it between $500 and $600 otherwise it's cutting too many people out. I'm talking US dollars here. I know they have costs but if they keep it lower, more will buy and hopefully create a big enough profit.

Posted via BlackBerry Leap OS 10.3.2.2339
    10-17-15 02:39 PM
    Can purchase a One plus 2 with has the same specs and is $300. I really want BlackBerry to do well but if they out price themselves it won't sell.

Apparently my opinion is crazy but I say BlackBerry need to keep it between $500 and $600 otherwise it's cutting too many people out. I'm talking US dollars here. I know they have costs but if they keep it lower, more will buy and hopefully create a big enough profit.

The one plus 2? The same one plus 2 that's lacking NFC? That's lacking expandable storage, with a smaller battery? The same one plus 2 that requires an invite in order to order? I had the one plus one which I enjoyed, I passed on the OP 2 even after I got sent an invite to buy one.

There are plenty of alternatives to the Priv, that's pretty obvious but, I want that physical keyboard, I want to try the hub on Android, and I want to check out Blackberry's take on Android. As long as it isn't bloated as TouchWiz devices, I'll be happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    10-17-15 03:04 PM

OnePlus 2 does NOT have the same specs:

-No NFC
    -No SD-card slot
    -No AMOLED screen
    -No QuadHD resolution
    -No physical keyboard
    -No trackpad
    -Smaller Battery
    -Made from a white brand
    -No extra security features
    10-17-15 04:02 PM
    Electronics don't follow the same direct exchange rates as cash does.

It won't be $900.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    Vampiro likes this.
    10-17-15 04:21 PM
    OnePlus 2 does NOT have the same specs:

-No NFC
    -No SD-card slot
    -No AMOLED screen
    -No QuadHD resolution
    -No physical keyboard
    -No trackpad
    -No Hub
    -No kickass speakers
    -Smaller Battery
    -Made from a white brand
    -No extra security features

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    10-17-15 06:37 PM
    Electronics don't follow the same direct exchange rates as cash does.
    That's true.

Better would be a comparison against something like the Edge. The Priv costs 10% more than the Edge (�580 vs �530). So, a simple addition of 10% to the US/Canadian price of the Edge should reveal the likely selling price of the Priv, shouldn't it?

Google says US$780 for the Edge, so the Priv should be $860.

DOA.
    10-18-15 03:54 AM
    That's true.

Better would be a comparison against something like the Edge. The Priv costs 10% more than the Edge (�580 vs �530). So, a simple addition of 10% to the US/Canadian price of the Edge should reveal the likely selling price of the Priv, shouldn't it?

DOA.
    Yah, No.

10-18-15 05:05 AM
    Yah, No.
    Surely, you being a Pirate, that should read "Yaaaaarrrrh, No"

Still DOA.

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 1520
    guygardner73 likes this.
    10-18-15 05:10 AM
    That's true.

DOA.
    The price in the UK is �483.33 before vat. So the US price will be $746.24. Not DOA. Add to that the fact that the US gets things cheaper anyway, my guess is $599-$699.

10-18-15 05:10 AM
    Wow!

I've said the Priv would be DOA if BB priced it at iPhone 6s and Samsung Edge levels. Pricing it at *more* than either of those phones, IMO, makes that outcome certain.

Well Done BB, Well Done!

#SlowHandClap

They should have hired you before developing the device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-18-15 05:31 AM
    They should have hired you before developing the device.

Maybe they should've.

My advice would've been to develop the slider as an Android phone, and to ditch BB10, which has all but destroyed BlackBerry, about a year ago. I posted months ago that I thought that the first recipient of the BB Experince Suite of Apps would be BB's own Android phone.

I actually believe the Priv is the best (and last) hope for saving the hardware division, at least until the transition to software is complete, when I believe it'll be closed. One of the few things that BB could do to sabotage the chances of the Priv achieving any kind of breakthrough, is to price it too high.

My fear was that BB would try to go head to head with iPhone and Edge. I have to be honest and admit that I never conceived that BB would price the Priv at *more* than those market leading flagships.

DOA.

BB can have that advice for free.

10-18-15 05:46 AM
    Paying for the phone outright is almost always less expensive than paying for it on one of those monthly plans.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    As an aside - although it's different in the US, what most people don't realise is that in UK mobile contracts the equipment mentioned in the contract is the SIM card not the phone. So although they of course build that in the price, if you can get out of the contract you can keep the phone - they of course try to suggest that is not the case...
    10-18-15 05:58 AM
    Maybe they should've.

My advice would've been to develop the slider as an Android phone, and to ditch BB10, which has all but destroyed BlackBerry, about a year ago. I posted months ago that I thought that the first recipient of the BB Experince Suite of Apps would be BB's own Android phone.

I actually believe the Priv is the best (and last) hope for saving the hardware division, at least until the transition to software is complete, when I believe it'll be closed. One of the few things that BB could do to sabotage the chances of the Priv achieving any kind of breakthrough, is to price it too high.

My fear was that BB would try to go head to head with iPhone and Edge. I have to be honest and admit that I never conceived that BB would price the Priv at *more* than those market leading flagships.

DOA.

Maybe just maybe they are targeting the corporate market first. Many people will love the combination of an android system and blackberry keyboard. Typing emails just got a whole lot better for many corporates. I think that's where they are pinning their hopes first.

10-18-15 06:10 AM
    Maybe they should've.

DOA.

You are miscalculating the price. It won't be more than $750 and likely be $599-$699. I really wish you would run through your maths for us. Maybe we're missing something. Also, please compare the price of the Priv at launch with the price of the S6 Edge AT LAUNCH and not it's current price. We all know the price drops in the UK by 10-15% after 6 weeks. If you can't back up what you're saying about the Priv being more than the iphone or S6 Edge, please stop saying DOA.

10-18-15 06:12 AM
    Well as on the article "At least this time round the Priv has the specs to rival the current crop of flagship handsets - something its predecessors have struggled to do."

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 06:18 AM
    I don't think it will retail for more than 750 USD
    10-18-15 06:29 AM
    I don't think it will retail for more than 750 USD
    I absolutely agree.

10-18-15 07:49 AM
    Here is a reference chart I made for all the launch prices:

Remarks and findings:
    - Chart listed in all local currencies, with the exception of UK currency converted. Current price uses today's exchange rate, launch price uses approximate exchange rate at the time
    - UK prices are listed for Carphone Warehouse. During my search I find their prices are generally higher than other local retailers, so there is a possibility the price will drop for others
    - UK prices includes VAT, which somewhat explains the higher conversion price, hence a direct conversion does not necessarily give the right price across borders
    - US/Canada no-contract prices do not vary much across retailers, only the term contract upfront cost adjusts sparingly for promotions, the off contract pricing barely changed, if any. Whereas in the UK does adjust all prices over time, at a relatively faster pace
    - The only case I see off-contract pricing dropping in US and Canada is when it's available from manufacturer
    - Passport Unlocked price includes an introductory offer of $100 each in US and Canada, which was not available in UK
    - US and UK carrier pricing varies, whereas fairly consistent across Canada (damn Robellus ogliopoly)

EDIT: Launch prices of Nexus 5X, 6P, Moto X Style/Pure

More Remarks and findings:
    - Both Motorola and Google decided to not partner with carriers this time round, with the exception of the the 6P, which so far Rogers have announced (and delayed)
    - It is almost certain that the upfront cost of the Priv will actually be cheaper than these phones if you take a contract. However when considering, also be mindful of Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), i.e. your total operating cost including the part factored into your monthly plan
    - A few have mentioned the OnePlus Two. However I do NOT consider it a segment competitor to the Priv. The OnePlus One has serious QC and availability issues, and I do not expect any different with the Two.

In summary, my personal opinion:

The Priv launch price may be a bit high, but I don't think it is that out of the line compared to others in the same segment. Problem with pricing is that with margins like this, it's very VERY difficult. The common belief is that BlackBerry in order to break into the market, they must undercut. However, this is actually a very dangerous game. Market pricing and brand perception has a ratchet effect. If you undercut like that, it associates your brand with being cheap and you'll never be able to bring up the price, or it will take a LONG time to rebuild the brand to be premium again. Simply put, look at the Nexus 6, HP laptops, or even Cadillacs. BlackBerry, despite losing BB10, still has the unique competitive advantage of the keyboard, security enhancements, and build quality (many forget this).

What I do expect, however is through contract pricing and possibly sales promotions like BlackBerry usually does, the Priv should do fine. It will probably take some time, however, to become a a top seller. It will feel some downward pressure from the 5X and Moto Style, but I think the Priv is still distinct from those, judging by the reactions with the phones outside of CrackBerry.

I predict the Priv to be in the 599-699 USD / 649-849 CAD range.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10-18-15 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added findings, Nexus, Moto
    10-18-15 08:10 AM
    Here is a reference chart I made for all the launch prices:

http://i.imgur.com/c7G8MiJ.png
    Sooo helpful and interesting! All USD and all excl tax except for UK pricing?
    10-18-15 08:15 AM
    Sooo helpful and interesting! All USD and all excl tax?
    Local currencies, with the exception of the US exchange rate conversion for UK. These are all MSRP so GBP includes VAT. I'm highlighting guygardner73's point about how you can't really do a direct conversion, and giving a little bit of perspective how it stands to its closest competitors.

I might do another one to throw the Nexus 5X, 6P and Moto X Style/Pure as some are also comparing these ones.
    10-18-15 08:20 AM
    699 usd/849 cdn launch pricing screams out at me
    10-18-15 08:36 AM
    if ppl want it they will get never mind what it will cost and anyway it will drop in price after awhile all phones do .............so chill everybody
    10-18-15 08:57 AM
    Thanks for the work Toni, that's so helpful of you. I don't know if you know how how to deduct the VAT in the UK or not, you probably do know, but just in case, it's 20% so divide by 120 and multiply by 100, then convert to dollars and we'll be able to see if one country is paying more than the other.
    Thanks again. It should stop all the misunderstandings about price on here.

10-18-15 08:58 AM
    very nice toni .........so the blackberry priv is not to bad on price then
    10-18-15 09:38 AM
    10-18-15 09:40 AM
180 ... 45678