Recently bought one of those AT&T Privs but hate having to use autoloader to get updates, is there any way I can buy an AT&T Sim card off amazon or something and have it allow me to at least get the OTA security updates?
    swaggardo likes this.
    05-16-16 02:42 AM
    Yup some member said you must put an active att simcard
    05-16-16 02:55 AM
    I could be mistaken, but once branded to at&t you should get pushed updates regardless of SIM as updates are sent out by IMEI. That's how it was done with BB10.
    05-16-16 07:54 AM
    It is inexpensive to buy a goPhone SIM card and place the minimum amount of funds on the account.

Even though I purchased mine under Next (which actually lowered my phone bill by $10, so it's like being paid to take it), I ended up using the device with a goPhone SIM for emergencies (my other SIM card went back in my Q10). Point is, it receives updates whenever at&t releases one.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 10:34 AM
    It is inexpensive to buy a goPhone SIM card and place the minimum amount of funds on the account.

Even though I purchased mine under Next (which actually lowered my phone bill by $10, so it's like being paid to take it), I ended up using the device with a goPhone SIM for emergencies (my other SIM card went back in my Q10). Point is, it receives updates whenever at&t releases one.

Posted via CB10
    Think the bigger problem is he's not located in the US.
    05-16-16 11:10 AM
    Recently bought one of those AT&T Privs but hate having to use autoloader to get updates, is there any way I can buy an AT&T Sim card off amazon or something and have it allow me to at least get the OTA security updates?
    You phone will only receive the OTA with an ACTIVE AT&T Sim Card inside. Doesn't matter if it's sim card unlocked. You can only use the AT&T autoloader on your AT&T unlocked device if you ever decide to go that route. Any other autoloader will brick your phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for the BlackBerry Priv
    05-16-16 11:24 AM
    Hey guys I totally forgot I had an account here (I'm the OP)

I saw some sim cards om amazon.ca for example that are at&t branded would I be able to buy that and at very least get the connection to get updates or do I need to somehow if even possible activate the sim to get the ability for OTA updates?

I actually got 3 Privs for my parents and I so we are pretty much condemed to using autoloaders and full wipes unless anyone knows a good workaround for a Canadian =\
    05-16-16 10:45 PM
    I went ahead and bought a $6 AT&T nano sim from an ebay seller in Toronto so should get it in a few days, guess the fun part will be if I can use it unactivated or if I can even make a prepaid account online, I read they send a txt to verify and it won't work outside US lol. I will post my outcome either way since no doubt many other Canadians bought these branded ones up cheaper and didn't realize the stupid O/S update hassle not normally seen with an unlocked phone =S
    05-16-16 11:24 PM
    It must be an activated At&t sim card. You actually bought a US sim card from someone in T.O.? Okay then

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    05-17-16 03:49 AM
    I could be mistaken, but once branded to at&t you should get pushed updates regardless of SIM as updates are sent out by IMEI. That's how it was done with BB10.
    You are mistaken

Get a GoPhone SIM, (AT&T's prepaid), many places will ship to Canada, or almost anywhere else. Activate it online, you don't even have to buy any airtime.
    05-17-16 06:13 AM
    You are mistaken

Get a GoPhone SIM, (AT&T's prepaid), many places will ship to Canada, or almost anywhere else. Activate it online, you don't even have to buy any airtime.
    Are you sure? All other carriers update without a carrier SIM. I can confirm both TMO and Verizon for Android phones.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-17-16 07:52 AM
    It must be an activated At&t sim card. You actually bought a US sim card from someone in T.O.? Okay then

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    What's wrong with that? Many of us buy them for roaming instead of paying through our nose with our beloved Big 3.
    05-17-16 07:57 AM
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. Doesn't the prepaid AT&T Sim need to be activated in the US?

Cheers

05-17-16 08:08 AM
    I'm in Toronto and just received my AT&T Sim card from EBAY and activated it online. I haven't put any time on it. I've inserted in into my PRIV and turned it on. Checked for updates and... no update (yet). I have had the phone on for a few hrs now and nothing . I will leave it in overnight and will report back IF any changes. I'm wondering if it needs time on it? I also understand that it will be deactivated in 30 days if no time is added. If i add $10 will that also expire in a month?
    Sniffynose likes this.
    05-17-16 10:24 PM
    I'm in Toronto and just received my AT&T Sim card from EBAY and activated it online. I haven't put any time on it. I've inserted in into my PRIV and turned it on. Checked for updates and... no update (yet). I have had the phone on for a few hrs now and nothing . I will leave it in overnight and will report back IF any changes. I'm wondering if it needs time on it? I also understand that it will be deactivated in 30 days if no time is added. If i add $10 will that also expire in a month?
    Here is the screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails AT&T Priv on Fido (Canada) unlocked. Can I buy some sort of AT&T simcard to allow OTA updates?-1463542121670.jpg  
    05-17-16 10:29 PM
    I'd be interested to see if any clues can be captured with Wireshark when the phone tries to call home for the update.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 05-17-16 at 11:10 PM.
    05-17-16 10:34 PM
    I'll look into Wireshark and see if its within my payscale (ability).
    05-17-16 11:08 PM
    Yes, $10 is good for 30 days.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 03:17 AM
    You can manually set the clock ahead a day or two to get past that screen. My parents' phones are on the factory o/s so when my sim arrives hopefully in a day or two I will see if they get the May security update at very least.

Sort of lame the sim deactivates in a month, can it be reactivated? I don't want to have to add $10 a month just to have essentially an update key for my phones lol
    05-18-16 04:24 AM
    Are you sure? All other carriers update without a carrier SIM. I can confirm both TMO and Verizon for Android phones.

What used to be the case, or is the case with other devices is not relevant.
    The Priv on US carriers will not even acknowledge an update exists, much less download without the original carriers SIM. This applies to both carrier locked and carrier unlocked. Reports from other nations indicate the same situation exists with non US carrier phones, but I'm not prepared to say it applies to every carrier, (yet).
    I'm curious to see what is happing with new, (as in 6 months or less of a brand new phone model, not a minor upgrade to existing models) android devices.
    Will this phenomenon be limited to the Priv, all BlackBerrys running android, or all "new" devices? I have no clue.
    05-18-16 06:44 AM
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. Doesn't the prepaid AT&T Sim need to be activated in the US?

Cheers

No, you can activate it online from anywhere, (well, maybe not Iran or other similar places). Many US visitors get US SIMS before coming, to avoid expensive international roaming fees or plans.
    The reverse applies to US people going abroad.

There are a number of online vendors who specialize in doing just that.
    There have even been a few phones that could hold 2 SIM's.
    05-18-16 06:52 AM
    My understanding is that any airtime will expire in a month, double check me on that. I've also been advised that a phone call to AT&T will reactivate the SIM after the 30 days, without airtime on it.

Make sure you have a good wifi connection before you check for updates.
    A couple of people have reported that they could not find an AT&T update unless the phone was on charger, this makes no sense to me, but it's free, so try it.
    The date/time change trick does work.

The US carriers, and prob Canadian too, would gleefully kidnap your grandmother and hold her for ransom if it would keep you on their network.
    So any of this could change at any time, but I don't see how they could deny you updates just because you were on a prepaid plan.

Also check your APN, it should be on an AT&T setting. You did turn phone off before changing SIM? It's possible the new SIM did not automatically reset APN.
    Sniffynose likes this.
    05-18-16 07:17 AM
    Here is the screenshot.
    Is that timeout a carrier thing?
    That's the first time I see that message.
    05-18-16 07:18 AM
    Good question, not sure how we would find out. The SIM can have a pretty good amount of control on device settings. So just trying it with a Factory unlocked device wouldn't really tell us.
    I suspect it's in the device, maybe by carrier insistence.
    05-18-16 07:50 AM
    Is that timeout a carrier thing?
    That's the first time I see that message.
    Well, I haven't seen anything like a "timeout/delay" on Verizon. I check and it checks and says "up to date!"
    05-18-16 09:07 AM
74 123