So with all the online deals available I'm thinking about purchasing the Priv. Is it worth it to save 50 dollars and purchase the AT&T branded version? This version would be able to receive the Blackberry fix to allow Priv updates directly from BB.

OR

Should I purchase the BB version and not deal with the hassle? The prices are 299 vs 349.

What's your thoughts and experience? Thanks in advance!
    12-22-16 08:04 AM
    Given the number of problems with the Priv, I'd go factory, and make sure there is a clear and legit path for warranty.
    It's available from BlackBerry for US$399, will prob go on sale after Christmas or the new year.
    I'm not dissing the phone, I love it, but it has had more than it's fair share of problems. And BB will almost certainly send you back to whoever you bought it from for warranty.
    12-22-16 08:45 AM
    I have had both versions, AT&T and the Factory Unlocked model.

My factory unlocked model has a much better build quality than the AT&T model. Among the things I noticed immediately were:
    - Better quality screen (AT&T model was grainy)
    - No gap between sliding screen and the body (AT&T model has a slight gap and clicked against the body whenever I tapped in certain spots)
    - Sim tray doesn't recess when putting it back in

Not sure if it's just that I go a newer production run than the AT&T model and some of the kinks were worked out, but I would say go for the Factory Unlocked model.
    12-22-16 08:58 AM
    BB version. Like Wezard said, if you have an issue it will probably be better served directly by BlackBerry. I had an issue with Passport SE and BB's customer service was top notch. Very little downtime and good communication.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
    12-22-16 09:00 AM
    All -

Thank you for the response. Please keep them coming.
    12-22-16 09:08 AM
    If you do have a warranty issue, even direct from BB is a problem right now.
    They have no devices for replacement, it took 3 1/2 weeks for me to get one, about 7 weeks have gone by and they still haven't gotten to checking the original device to see if it really is a legit warranty claim. I've seen reports of 2+ months after sending device in for repair and still no resolution. They have a huge backlog for Privs in repair, which is also where replacements come from.
    If it's like that dealing direct with BB, just imagine what it might be like going through a 3rd party.
    12-22-16 09:18 AM
    To be honest, anytime you have a choice between a carrier branded phone and a factory unlocked phone, go for the factory unlocked (especially if the difference is only $50). Although it appears now that even the AT&T branded Priv will get its updates from BB, the factory unlocked version will undoubtedly get it first because there are other things in the carrier locked phones that have to be accounted for software side. You'll also get much better support from BB if you have a factory phone than a Carrier phone.

Not that this may be important to you (it is to me), but you'll also get the added benefit of being able to travel abroad with a factory unlocked phone. All you'll have to do is pop in a carrier's SIM card where you're traveling and you're good to go (assuming the phone you have supports that country's bands).
    bigedschukar and BionicKris like this.
    12-22-16 09:33 AM
    Not that this may be important to you (it is to me), but you'll also get the added benefit of being able to travel abroad with a factory unlocked phone. All you'll have to do is pop in a carrier's SIM card where you're traveling and you're good to go (assuming the phone you have supports that country's bands).
    You can actually do that with any unlocked phone.
    AT&T will even unlock a phone you are still paying for if you tell them you are going out of the country. At least they used to. They will try and sell you their 'passport plan' first, but they have to, it's in their script, if you say no they will unlock it for you. Most of the time they don't even bother to relock it when you come back, though they tell you they will.
    12-22-16 10:01 AM
    As a long time BB user I'm tempted to try an Android version of a BB device. I was originally interested in a DTEK 50 but I always go back to a PKB. This leads me to the Priv. The 349 price tag is form a very well known electronics vendor with a good reputation.

BTW - I'm currently a classic user.
    12-22-16 11:00 AM
    As a long time BB user I'm tempted to try an Android version of a BB device.
    Sooner or later you will have to go with another OS.
    You will love the screen, the PKB is OK, nothing like the classic. On the other hand, it has an excellent VKB, most of find we only use the PKB on longer more demanding stuff. Even using the VKB you have as much open screen as the classic, maybe a touch more.
    12-22-16 11:14 AM
    Thanks again for the feedback.

Do you think or know if the Priv is reaching EOL/EOS? (End of life/End of support) Maybe this is the reason why replacements are taking a long time with BB?
    12-22-16 11:21 AM
    Thanks again for the feedback.

Do you think or know if the Priv is reaching EOL/EOS? (End of life/End of support) Maybe this is the reason why replacements are taking a long time with BB?
    I doubt it is reaching End of Support. It might be reaching End of Life. I doubt that they are still be manufactured - meaning those in the pipeline are probably it. Sending new ones out to replace warrantied-devices is probably not high on BB's list but they may have to if they don't have sufficient Refurbs to handle legitimate claims in a timely fashion.

I suspect that not too far in the future, ShopBB will be out of them but that's merely a wild guess.

I do think that they are being discovered late in the game so it will be interesting to see what happens.
    12-22-16 12:00 PM
    As a long time BB user I'm tempted to try an Android version of a BB device. I was originally interested in a DTEK 50 but I always go back to a PKB. This leads me to the Priv. The 349 price tag is form a very well known electronics vendor with a good reputation.
    The AT&T GSM coverage in the US is pretty much LTE in most locations if you have a branded phone. If they are your carrier you may drop to 4G in some locations because they use a mix of frequencies that may not be read by the factory phone. I don't know about the Priv in particular but you may want to look it up if data speeds are a dealbreaker for you.
    12-22-16 12:04 PM
    Both are STV100-1, specs and freq's are identical, unless one is going with a CDMA carrier it's not an issue.

I'm of the opinion that price has a lot more to do with it's current popularity than 'being discovered'.

Support? Who knows, it's the last true BlackBerry phone, I would expect support for another 2 years or close to. But they are out of the hardware business, so maybe not. I do know that they are overwhelmed with repair/replacement right now, and they will not pull a new one off the shelf and use for warranty.
    12-22-16 01:19 PM
    See the "Nasty bug AT&T Privs" thread about the attwifi network that can hijack your phone, and the decision of which to choose should be pretty easy.
    12-22-16 08:34 PM
    See the "Nasty bug AT&T Privs" thread about the attwifi network that can hijack your phone, and the decision of which to choose should be pretty easy.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...privs-1095233/

I'm running a factory unlocked with an AT&T SIM, I don't recall ever trying to use the AT&T wifi, but 2 of them were in my saved settings. I've deleted them, (forget). I'm real curious to see if they come back. Scan for wifi is, and has been off. May be a couple of days before I can say with certainty, yes or no.It's a bit surprising how much control a SIM has over a phone.
    Last edited by Wezard; 12-23-16 at 05:43 AM. Reason: wrong link
    12-23-16 05:41 AM
    12-23-16 05:49 AM
    Thanks everyone for your input!
    12-23-16 05:49 AM
    Yeh, I would definitely go unlocked. As a developer, on top of the attached WiFi issue, I've also noticed the amount of bloat they stash in your file system.
    12-24-16 11:14 AM