You didn't get my point. I'm not questioning carrier variants, but the SIM attachment thing.
    I think you're asking why an active SIM is required for an OTA? Because even with BB10 SIM cards were required for carrier OTAs.

Maybe it's just an AT&T thing, the active SIM cards. Does TMO also require active SIMs?
    05-13-16 07:56 PM
    I think you're asking why an active SIM is required for an OTA? Because even with BB10 SIM cards were required for carrier OTAs.

Maybe it's just an AT&T thing, the active SIM cards. Does TMO also require active SIMs?
    Yep, that was my question.

To put in perspective, AT&T SIMs halted updates on Nexus devices, until people found out you can get updates on time by removing the SIM and putting it on Wi-Fi only.
    05-13-16 08:04 PM
    To put in perspective, AT&T SIMs halted updates on Nexus devices, until people found out you can get updates on time by removing the SIM and putting it on Wi-Fi only.
    I see. Were these factory unlocked phones that were being impeded or AT&T branded/sold Nexus phones?

And I think the same behavior has been observed in BB10 phones--that SIM cards would take precedence over BlackBerry's release?
    05-13-16 08:11 PM
    I see. Were these factory unlocked phones that were being impeded or AT&T branded/sold Nexus phones?

And I think the same behavior has been observed in BB10 phones--that SIM cards would take precedence over BlackBerry's release?
    I didn't read into detail, but I was under the impression earlier Nexus phones sold by the carriers were completely identical to Google Play Store models, until recently where the updates are once again controlled by the carriers.

Think IIRC it was a Nexus 6 in question.
    05-13-16 08:45 PM
    If you need a carrier SIM then AT&T is the only carrier requiring this. It's not the same as BB10.

All my Android devices update regardless what SIM they have, and they are all fr different carrier. I don't have an AT&T one but my guess is that it will update regardless of the SIM.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-14-16 08:42 AM
    If you need a carrier SIM then AT&T is the only carrier requiring this. It's not the same as BB10.

All my Android devices update regardless what SIM they have, and they are all fr different carrier. I don't have an AT&T one but my guess is that it will update regardless of the SIM.

I can't speak for other devices, or the Verizon variant since almost no one tries to use it on other carriers. But neither the AT&T or TMo variant of the Priv will will even find an update, much less update, without the original carriers active SIM installed.

It doesn't matter what other phones do, or used to do, this is the current situation with the Priv. Reports from other countries indicate similar.

I'm curious to see how other, newly released, (as in last 4 months) devices behave. But not bad enough to start reading their forums.
    raino likes this.
    05-14-16 10:09 AM
    Just ordered a ATnT Sim from EBAY. $10 cnd. Includes shipping. I'm hoping I can register but not have any costs for airtime. I've heard it can be done.

05-14-16 05:58 PM
    A Go Phone SIM can be, I'm not sure about an actual AT&T. GoPhone is AT&T's prepaid.
    Good Luck, and let us know.
    05-14-16 10:05 PM
    Thanks. I checked and it is a Go Phone SIM.
    05-15-16 09:16 AM
    If I get an AT&T unlock code and switch to a T-Mobile SIM what Network is going to be feeding me updates?

05-15-16 04:46 PM
    If I get an AT&T unlock code and switch to a T-Mobile SIM what Network is going to be feeding me updates?
    You're still going to need an AT&T SIM card for OTA updates.
    05-15-16 05:02 PM
    I'm honestly not sure which or who's servers the updates come from, but you will need an active AT&T SIM to find and get the updates, no matter where they originate.

If you mean who's airwaves does the update ride on, typically your own wifi and ISP.

You can get a GoPhone SIM, (AT&T's prepaid) for next to nothing and use it. You don't even have to purchase airtime, but will need to register it online.
    05-15-16 07:18 PM
37 12