If you buy on contract with AT&T for $259 or whatever, are the monthly payments higher on that line for the two years to cover the full cost of the phone? IOW, do you still end up paying full price for it?

I wonder if it's better to buy from AT&T just to get their support, return options, etc? Not a fan of ShopBlackberry in the US, that is, Digital River.

Any opinions?

Posted via CB10
    I'm, not an AT&T customer, but this is exactly the case for Bell in Canada.
    If you bring your own device, you save ~$20 per month.
    11-02-15 12:37 PM
    How is that going to happen when there's very little marketing? People don't know this phone exists, so there certainly won't be lines.
    i'm hoping for the few that are aware...to go and make a lot of noise and post some videos : )
    11-02-15 12:41 PM
    If you buy on contract with AT&T for $259 or whatever, are the monthly payments higher on that line for the two years to cover the full cost of the phone? IOW, do you still end up paying full price for it?

I wonder if it's better to buy from AT&T just to get their support, return options, etc? Not a fan of ShopBlackberry in the US, that is, Digital River.

Any opinions?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I switched from Verizon and brought my own Passport to AT&T and my bill is $15 credit per month. If I had a higher GB plan they increase the BYOD discount to $25/month.

I've always bought outright, but may contract the Priv. Just don't feel like going through the hassle of selling all of my BB10s. Not sure I want to part with them all either lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 12:59 PM
    Uh oh... website says :

Available exclusively from AT&T in the U.S.

Hope that's just temporary, or the VZW folks will not be happy.

Posted via CB10
    No, it doesn't.
    11-02-15 01:05 PM
    No, it doesn't.
    Yes it does:

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=cuvtsz2Q

Available exclusively from AT&T in the U.S.
    Legendary BlackBerry� security combined with Android™ technology provides access to a large number of Google Play™ store apps
    Touch and type with authentic BlackBerry SmartSlide keyboard integrated in a slim, ergonomic design
    Exclusive DTEK™ by BlackBerry security system monitors your apps to provide you with the power of privacy
    Schneider-Kreuznach� certified 18MP dual-flash camera engineered for performance
    Large 3410mAh battery to power you through the busiest of days
    BlackBerry Hub integrates your messages into one app
    11-02-15 01:13 PM
    I wouldn't think if one is paying full price for the phone it would be locked. Usually once the phone is paid off, you can unlock it.
    Yes you can unlock the sim , but you will be forever at att's mercy when it comes to os updates. Better to get it sim free from BB.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    11-02-15 01:16 PM
    Yes you can unlock the sim , but you will be forever at att's mercy when it comes to os updates. Better to get it sim free from BB.
    So--it's not like OS 10? There is no independent source for Android updates? They are device and carrier specific?

I've never owned an Android device. It's a new world for me, not necessarily a better one.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 01:26 PM
    I agree here. All of my devices are from shopblackberry except one of my Passports since I wanted to try the AT&T version. Prefer to buy direct (almost direct) with one year warranty support from BlackBerry. Never had a problem.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 01:27 PM
    May just go get an ATT version on the 6th and wait for the BBShop version to be shipped to me. Then return one or the other or sell the other one.
    11-02-15 01:34 PM
    So--it's not like OS 10? There is no independent source for Android updates? They are device and carrier specific?

I've never owned an Android device. It's a new world for me, not necessarily a better one.

Posted via CB10
    1. Google, OEMs, independent developers all work on the Android Open Source Project
    2. Google decides when specific changes make it into a branch (5.0, 5.1, 5.1.1, etc)
    3. BlackBerry selects a branch that they want to support on the Priv (eg 5.1.1)
    4. They take the source code, add their drivers for the Priv, and modify the source code (if they want to)
    5. BlackBerry releases their new version over the air to unlocked devices
    6. End user downloads new OS version to their phone.

with a carrier locked device there are a few more steps in between 5 and 6.
    11-02-15 01:37 PM
    1. Google, OEMs, independent developers all work on the Android Open Source Project
    2. Google decides when specific changes make it into a branch (5.0, 5.1, 5.1.1, etc)
    3. BlackBerry selects a branch that they want to support on the Priv (eg 5.1.1)
    4. They take the source code, add their drivers for the Priv, and modify the source code (if they want to)
    5. BlackBerry releases their new version over the air to unlocked devices
    6. End user downloads new OS version to their phone.

with a carrier locked device there are a few more steps in between 5 and 6.
    Thanks. Very clear explanation.

BTW, is there a backup and restore with Android for app related data, or are all updates nondestructive? And what if you get a replacement device, either identical or different. With OS10 you can restore most stuff from one device to any other OS10 device or OS version.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 01:52 PM
    Thanks. Very clear explanation.

BTW, is there a backup and restore with Android for app related data, or are all updates nondestructive? And what if you get a replacement device, either identical or different. With OS10 you can restore most stuff from one device to any other OS10 device or OS version.

Posted via CB10
    You're welcome.

Yes, Android has a cloud-based backup/restore option that you can enable.AT&T to launch PRIV November 6th-screenshot_20151102-145927.jpg
    As long as you can get the app installed on your new device, the restore tool will restore the data for the app.

Having said that, I don't use that method. I use development tools to backup up my Nexus 5. lol

Fortunately for your use case, BlackBerry has built a transfer tool for going from BB10 to Priv.
    BlackBerry Content Transfer
    KenV54 likes this.
    11-02-15 02:10 PM
    Don't assume the Priv will be available in all stores on the 6th. My local store today said they hadn't heard anything about it yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 02:14 PM
    Called my store. Said they don't know if they'll have it in stock. It is available to order through them and have it shipped to my house but what's the point of that.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 02:19 PM
    Just called my local store and they said $739.
    Yep; the carrier "installment payments" are typically 0% interest; their quoted monthly prices multiply out to $740.
    11-02-15 02:37 PM
    Don't assume the Priv will be available in all stores on the 6th. My local store today said they hadn't heard anything about it yet.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. It's not just BlackBerry. Some stores simply carry a tighter selection of handsets.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    11-02-15 02:38 PM
    AT&T1 announced that the BlackBerry� Passport and BlackBerry� Classic will be available at att.com and in AT&T retail stores on Feb. 20. -
    We all know how this ended up....

So unless you live in a really large market where the Passport might have made it into the store.... don't count on the PRIV being there either. It will be a wonderful surprise if all the US AT&T retail outlets have a display model and at least 10 PRIV in stock. But that would be more than I image they have even made at this point.
    11-02-15 02:40 PM
    Yep; the carrier "installment payments" are typically 0% interest; their quoted monthly prices multiply out to $740.
    That means it is more expensive through the carrier? Because they will also charge taxes, which will be in addition to the stated $740.
    ShopBB on the other hand is $699 + tax

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 02:55 PM
    How is this phone through AT&T $739 but canadians are paying $799CAD when theres a 30% difference in currency. This is a blatant rip off by AT&T/BB...like common, do you want people to buy this?

I hope theres availability in stores so I can at least go try one out
    11-02-15 03:01 PM
    If anyone wants to inquire whether your local store will have them, give them this sku number: 6085A
    11-02-15 03:01 PM
    If anyone wants to inquire whether your local store will have them, give them this sku number: 6085A
    Or you can use their website. This is how I found my mother's Passport. Both corporate stores showed the Classic, but the further one had the Passport. I did call for confirmation though. Their online database seemed to be fairly accurate.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 03:10 PM
    11-02-15 03:17 PM
    Yes, I switched from Verizon and brought my own Passport to AT&T and my bill is $15 credit per month. If I had a higher GB plan they increase the BYOD discount to $25/month.

I've always bought outright, but may contract the Priv. Just don't feel like going through the hassle of selling all of my BB10s. Not sure I want to part with them all either lol.

Posted via CB10
    Correct, you lose the $15/$25 credit/discount if you are under contract for the term of the contract. So for 24 months, the $15 adds up to $360. Adding the $250 gives a total of $610. So you'll have about $90 over the BlackBerry direct price. Not sure if it's worth it because you may give up faster os updates and flexibility of moving to tmobile should they offer a plan that is attractive. Plus, if you get the phone on a possible Black Friday discount, the the savings become more limited.

Passport on AT&T
    11-02-15 03:18 PM
    even God loves BlackBerry so you should say Bless me god for BlackBerry coming to ATT
    11-02-15 03:25 PM
    AT&T video is pretty boring. Why aren't they showing off the touchpad keyboard and flick'ing?

It's a bummer that AT&T is getting an exclusive for now. I never got the impression that they did anything for the Passport and I doubt they'd do anything for the PRIV. Apple has been pretty good to them, with the iPhone, so what's going to motivate them to push *any* BlackBerry? If it's GSM first, then it would have been nice if T-Mobile USA was on board too.
    11-02-15 03:55 PM
178 12345 ...