This post serves a dual purpose; to vent about a really bad support experience I have received over the past month and to get feedback as to whether I have a reason to feel cheated or not.

Let me start by saying the GPS on my Priv does not work. I get no GPS lock. Period.

I know this because I spent 3+ hours on the phone with Assurion/AT&T/BlackBerry support on January 24th. I've done three factory resets, removed the sim card and replaced it multiple times, and have done every other test that Assurion/AT&T/BlackBerry had to offer. The only thing I could not do was the most recent request, which was to submit a bug report to BlackBerry (the OS I have from AT&T doesn't have a bug report options).

When I emailed and told them I could not provide this, they called me to say there was nothing they could do for me.

Logistical note: I have had the Priv since late-October and have never had quality GPS; I think my phone has only relied upon cell towers and wifi for the duration I have owned the phone. I suffered from the well-know "No Sim Card" issue and thought the first AT&T update would solve that. It did not so I went into a store on December 23rd and had the sim card replaced, which I thought might help with the GPS issue. It did not.

That's when I started into the support onslaught with AT&T. The first call directed me to Assurion and over the phone they directed me to a website. Turns out the website is only valid for damaged phones, not factory defects, so I called AT&T again and they directed me to BlackBerry Support. 10+ hours later of diagnostics they then sent me back to AT&T to replace the phone. It turns out I was on the phone with someone from Alorica who after getting all my information (and having their computer crash on me and thuse requiring the info twice), said that I could not receive a new replacement device for the defunct phone; only a refurbished one. The rep said this was per the manufacturer's policy.

So I went back to BlackBerry and expressed disdain about the fact that I could not get a new replacement for a hardware issue. They responded saying:

"Sad to hear that your carrier declined the warranty on your device. I'll do whatever I can to make sure I've exhausted all possible options we might have. I'll bring this matter to our higher management team and see how can we go about replacing the device. I cannot guarantee that but I'll give it a shot. Rest assured all of this will be hard and not taken for granted. Thank you and have a good one."

That was eight days ago. And today I got a call saying pretty much "Sorry, we can't help you."

So that is where I sit. Bitter. After giving 10+ hours to various support representatives and over 15 email exchanges with BlackBerry, I essentially got this response: \_(ツ)_/

So thus ends the rant - and here's where I could use feedback. Am I in the wrong for wanting a new device instead of a refurbished one to replace the device I bought new from AT&T that has a factory defect?

Thanks for any thoughts and for reading. I just feel something's not right about the whole thing... appreciate your take as well.

- Jason
    02-03-16 01:14 PM
    Sorry to hear about your issues. I also have the ATT priv. You have to enable developer mode to enable to get the report bug option.

(1) Access Settings->Developer Options*
    (2) Turn on Developer Options
    (3) Scroll down, turn on USB Debugging
    (4) Below that, turn on Bug Report Shortcut
    (5) Hold Power Button and the option should be there. Alternatively, scroll to the top of Developer Options and tap "Take Bug Report"

* To access Developer Options if they're not enabled, go to Settings->About Phone. Scroll down to Build Version. Tap this 7 or so times (a message will come up after a few tips letting you know remaining taps) until Developer Options are unlocked.
    jaskeller and 00stryder like this.
    02-03-16 02:14 PM
    have you tried downloading the AT&T Mark The Spot app? it lets you run diagnotics on your device and sends to AT&T

also, the Blackberry Virtual Expert is good at detecting errors with the device too

Posted via my Priv while missing my Z10
    jaskeller likes this.
    02-03-16 02:20 PM
    Thank you djenks76. At this time BlackBerry has closed the case on me.
    02-03-16 02:24 PM
    Thanks KMorganBbry. Virtual Expert did not have any diagnostic test for me related to GPS. I'll try the mark the spot app, but I can pretty much verify GPS doesn't work; at this point it is either between getting a refurbished device to replace mine or keep trying to fight (and probably fail) at getting a new device given I never had the opportunity to own a new, fully functioning device.
    02-03-16 02:27 PM
    Vote with your feet. Go back to a phone that works like the Classic. I, too, have had problems with my 2 Privs. Latest stays in the box. I am on Classic as Priv waits for Marshmallow. Priv is a beta device that is not really ready for prime time. JMHO.
    jaskeller likes this.
    02-03-16 02:35 PM
    Unfortunately any carrier purchased phone is warranted by the carrier. But you have a one year warranty, you should not be dealing with the insurance carrier. When you talk to AT&T, stress that you want a defective product warranty replacement. They are trained to avoid that and send you to the insurance people, refuse. They may insist that you send it in for repairs, that is their option, but many on here have been able to get new replacements under warranty.

Also consider that a factory reconditioned device has actually been put through it's paces and tested by a human looking for problems. You may actually be better off that way. Normally I'd want a new one, but there have been enough manufacturing defects with the Priv that I would seriously consider a recon.
    02-03-16 02:54 PM
    Unfortunately any carrier purchased phone is warranted by the carrier. But you have a one year warranty, you should not be dealing with the insurance carrier. When you talk to AT&T, stress that you want a defective product warranty replacement. They are trained to avoid that and send you to the insurance people, refuse. They may insist that you send it in for repairs, that is their option, but many on here have been able to get new replacements under warranty.

Also consider that a factory reconditioned device has actually been put through it's paces and tested by a human looking for problems. You may actually be better off that way. Normally I'd want a new one, but there have been enough manufacturing defects with the Priv that I would seriously consider a recon.
    Thanks Wezard. I will probably go the refurbished route as I am just exhausted by the whole process. I hate the fact that to get a new phone I'd have to go pick a fight with some AT&T rep; I'm not that kind of guy and it sucks that AT&T and BlackBerry don't see that this is an opportunity to solidify a relationship with a customer rather than break one.

Ideal world response = "Hey sorry your phone isn't doing what it was promised to do. We've ordered a new one for you and ask that you send your device back for analysis. Thanks for being our customer for over 5 years."

Wishful thinking but if they did that I would be posting about my positive experience here and would be a customer of both BlackBerry and AT&T for years to come. Instead, I am thinking about leaving both.
    02-04-16 09:18 AM
    Long shot... load "GPS Status" and have it search for satellites. (Also clear your GPS cache, though I would assume that has happened due to factory resets -- but you never know). GPS Status was famous back in the day for "curing" Android satellite issues. What the heck, it's free,
    02-04-16 09:59 AM
    Long shot... load "GPS Status" and have it search for satellites. (Also clear your GPS cache, though I would assume that has happened due to factory resets -- but you never know). GPS Status was famous back in the day for "curing" Android satellite issues. What the heck, it's free,
    Great suggestion - I already tried to use GPS Status and tried to reset AGPS cache. Nothing enabled me to get a lock (or any reading at all).
    02-04-16 12:07 PM
    The cell phone support and warranty situation kinda sucks, but it does make sense, and it's not just AT&T and BB, it;s pretty much everybody.
    The carriers insist that the manufacturers load 'their' units up with all kinds of custom software and apps.
    Which the manufacturers don't want to do, but have no choice.
    So the manufacturer does so, hands the phones over to the carrier and says, "here ya go buddy, just what you asked for, they are yours now, YOU support them, YOU warranty them".
    No way can BB afford to fix all the problems that the carriers won't. Your phone says Black Berry, but it also says AT&T. When AT&T bought the unit from BB for $500 and sold it to you for $700, AT&T assumed full responsibility. And it became an AT&T phone, not a BB phone.
    Your beef is with AT&T, not BB.

I pulled the pricing numbers out of my nether region, I have no idea what the actual spread is.
    Please don't take this as picking on you, I'm sorry it happened.
    And don't give up yet, try going for a warranty replacement, escalate your case to customer retention, and stop them cold when they something about insurance.

And, there are a whole bunch of people on here with way more knowledge than me. One of them may chime in with a fix or route to one.
    jaskeller and 00stryder like this.
    02-04-16 01:47 PM
    Good feedback - this is the context I need. I tried to take it up with BB because AT&T only offered the warrantee route for a refurbished phone and said it was the manufacturer's policy. I also tried to work with BlackBerry because it strongly seems to be a hardware issue; not something amiss with software.

This weekend I'll go to an AT&T store again and try to get it settled. They are close to winning though; I just don't have the time/energy to keep fighting - this support stuff started back in January...
    02-04-16 03:25 PM
    Why not just take the refurb? Save time, get a working device, still get the original warranty coverage because it's from purchase date. Sometimes it's not worth it to fight just because of the principle.

I broke my screen on day 30, ordered replacement, they said it would be refurb, yet they sent me brand new device, I suspect they don't really have refurb yet.

However because your within 1 year manufacturer warranty, you should not have to deal with asurion, your service provider should be able to send out for repair or swap it in warranty for first year. Only if the damage is not covered by warranty should you have to deal with asurion.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-04-16 03:43 PM
    Wow, it just never ends. I hate all this has happened for you. And what I have to say is not going to be much more in you feeling better. Myself been with BB over 25 years, AT&T over 12. And all I have seen is Downgrade in Service as well as trained personel. After reading all of the replies.
    I have a question, why the Priv? I understand principle, but, like one commentor replied, go easy on yourself, take the so called Refurb, more than likely it's going to be a new one. And if it's not, it's been gone over. I know.. Let's not assume to much. The (*** u me) will kick in.
    Hang in there, I feel your pain, been there done that. One tip. Make sure your going to a Corporate AT&T store.. otherwise your already at a disadvantage. Really Corporate Store Only for your issue, even if you have to drive out of your way and set up an appointment if needbe.
    Hope to hear back on why the Priv and your situation has impoved. - ric
    02-18-16 09:05 PM
    The support will be no different with the BlackBerry RMA / Warranty department.
    02-19-16 04:16 PM
    This is about a month ago

@jaskeller

What was the final outcome? And how's the Priv working out for you?
    03-20-16 06:59 AM