Having lived in a BlackBerry bubble for years, I am not that familiar with the Android OS.

Let's just say for a minute, that the priv flops, and BlackBerry stops supporting it, am I screwed? Would updates still come out from Google?

Just a little jaded still about the Playbook and how they just left us hanging and worried it is going to happen again.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 10:44 AM
    Agreed completely. If you can't see the same thing happening all over again and the lack of any real commitment of Blackberry to sell the Priv, then at this point, you must really be blind.
    NtotheK likes this.
    10-23-15 10:58 AM
    Having lived in a BlackBerry bubble for years, I am not that familiar with the Android OS.

Let's just say for a minute, that the priv flops, and BlackBerry stops supporting it, am I screwed? Would updates still come out from Google?

Just a little jaded still about the Playbook and how they just left us hanging and worried it is going to happen again.

Posted via CB10
    Root trust and locked bootloader means no rooting and no custom ROMs. If BlackBerry stops supporting the device, that's it for updates. There will be no more. There is a very real risk of this phone being like the PlayBook.
    10-23-15 11:10 AM
    Except that you will still be able to supplement the device with app updates from the playstore for quite some time, even if the core os is stuck at lollipop,so I'd say it's not like the playbook.
    10-23-15 11:14 AM
    Basically it will function beautifully and last many years after the last update that never actually achieves the functionality promised. Is BB 10 yet available for PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 11:15 AM
    Average 18 months of life on smartphone World...

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 11:18 AM
    My PlayBook won't die. I'd just like to have a better browser

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 11:19 AM
    I'm a little concerned about this as well especially on the security side of things. If it gets marshmallow soon then even without a core OS update it should be a great device for some time; however, I want to be sure I at least get the security patches that are released. With some internal presence at Google hopefully this won't be a problem.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 11:32 AM
    In the Android world the updates come from the hardware makers, not from the OS maker (Google/OHS). THAT is the main problem with Android OS. Smartphone makers abandon their phones quickly because they want to sell more devices. The most devices are capable to run a higher OS version as they have at the point the manufacturers abandon it.

I think, the OHS are responsible for their Android Project and Google for their Google Android Distribution, to make it modular enough that every phone can update the core Android OS like the nexus devices, but also modular enough that smartphone manufacturers are able to build their own customisation on top of it without being in need of full OS Updates through those OEMs.

But, that's not the point here.

If BlackBerry abandon the PRIV like they abandon the PlayBook, you won't get anything regarding the OS. No feature updates, no security updates. Nothing. If they will find a bug like stagefright then the only thing that happens is, that you know that you phone has a bug, but that's it. Nobody will update that thing if not you by yourself IF you're able to root and install custom ROMs in it (which also won't have all BlackBerry OS tweaks which you will love about BlackBerrys PRIV powered by Android)

But yeah. Apps update shouldn't be a problem in the first two to three years.

But I don't think that the PRIV by BlackBerry will be abandoned in a year after its launch. If they abandon it after about two years than it is at least a normal Android device which often aren't supported longer than 18-24 months.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 11:48 AM