Might as well ask. I won't be rushing out to get the slider as I've only had my Passport three months, will probably keep an eye on the forums to see how things pan out like I did with the Passport.

Simple question and it's probably already been answered before, I see a lot of division from the community and loads of for and against comments. Not on any side I actually see both sides of the argument.

So, considering bb10 exists, works well and many BlackBerry users want to carry on using it regardless of the app situation and thus far I haven't seen any sign that BlackBerry are looking to ditch bb10 for pre slider users. Why not just have a bb10 version of the slider? I'd there an incompatible hardware reason?

Posted by Passport on bb10 but not sure for how much longer!
    09-23-15 04:53 PM
    It costs a lot of money to create the BB10 drivers for the new chipset and Slider hardware.

Plus there are so few people buying BB10 devices, it doesn't pay to continue its development.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    jope28 likes this.
    09-23-15 04:55 PM
    Right, thought it was a simple equation of bb10 exists, slider exists put the two together and keep everyone happy.

I seem to hear this a lot with BlackBerry these days, you know, can't afford to "waste" money on current customers but splashing out on other ventures to attract new ones. Business is business I suppose.

Looking at the posts of BlackBerry users who say they are not going android whatever happens and hoping bb10 will carry on, would it not make sense to shell out on these drivers to add to the new android customer Base or are they considered collateral damage?

09-23-15 06:11 PM
    Right, thought it was a simple equation of bb10 exists, slider exists put the two together and keep everyone happy.

I seem to hear this a lot with BlackBerry these days, you know, can't afford to "waste" money on current customers but splashing out on other ventures to attract new ones. Business is business I suppose.

Looking at the posts of BlackBerry users who say they are not going android whatever happens and hoping bb10 will carry on, would it not make sense to shell out on these drivers to add to the new android customer Base or are they considered collateral damage?

The assumption is that within a year or two most would have left anyway. According to market share, 83% would have gone to Android. So there we are.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    jope28 likes this.
    09-23-15 06:17 PM
    So I guess that's yes to the last question. Having said that we are, as usual, dealing in speculation. Other theories say that BlackBerry could be looking to fight on two fronts keeping bb10 for enterprise users and android for consumers. Some even say success on the android front could benefit bb10 users by having money to reinvent. The lack of bb10 news is suspicious though, unless all their money is currently tied up in their new venture. I find it difficult to believe bb10 would be totally scrapped, surely there is a plan b Justin case the android thing doesn't pan out. You never know though. Reinvestment might even see a bb10 slider.

09-23-15 06:43 PM

Considered the fact that BlackBerry has been pushing BB10 towards companies in the last years claiming its security value etc, it wouldn't be a wise choice to consider those users collateral damage. There's even a number of BBOS7 devices out there so support will be available for quite some time for BB10.

Long enough, at least, for the users to observe what next steps are going to be taken with BB10. A question that probably can't be answered yet and might also be depending on how well the Slider will do. On the short run, I'd say BB10 is far from dead, and everything else doesn't matter to the private user.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 06:52 PM