Just left the AT&T store and I couldn't believe how bad the Priv keyboard was. It's so unbearably small and uncomfortable. I have normal sized guy hands so nothing weird there. The Classic was right next to it and the Classic keyboard was nothing short of perfect. My Passport is great too (although, at least to me, not even as good as the Classic which is such a great sized keyboard).

After using the Priv keyboard for quite some time at the store, I doubt I could get used to it - especially for $700. It not only was small but it felt cheap, like my old 8830. Why Blackberry didn't make the Priv a bit wider to accommodate a nice keyboard (like the Classic one), I'll never understand, but I'm pretty sure now that the terrible keyboard will sink this device among consumers who are even curious and wondering about the keyboard. It's sort of embarrassing for Blackberry, if you ask me. This won't be the smooth, wide, tapered keys, nice, functional keyboard from their 9900 Bolds they remembered from a few years ago before they left for iOS or Android.

Also, I noticed absolutely horrendous screen blur when using the device. When scrolling in the App tray or on the internet, it was the same thing - the letters become pretty blurred as you scrolled up and down the page and only reset once you stopped. I pulled out my Passport and it was smooth as butter. Same for the Classic next to it. Yes - there is a minor amount of blur when you are moving up and down any page on a phone but I've never noticed it before until the Priv which was pretty extensive. Not sure what to even say about that but hugely disappointing. Curious if others who own the Priv have noticed this.

A few other thoughts -
    - The color white on the screen was noticeably gray compared to the iPhone next to it. I know the blacks are better on AMOLED screens but the white was surprisingly poor in my view.
    - The stock Google News app scrolled in reverse to the keyboard scrolling (up was down and down was up - weird)
    - The device did get awfully hot as others have reported
    - Google Maps stuttered pretty well too
    - The open and close of the keyboard felt cheap. Granted, the security device was tugging on it a bit, but it just wasn't as buttery smooth as I expected.

All in all, when I set foot in the store I was prepared to walk out with either a new phone or ready to place an order but between all of this and the poor battery life being reported, I left extremely disappointed.
    In store experience was not a great one with the Priv-priv-4-.jpg
    11-07-15 03:38 PM
    Just left the AT&T store and I couldn't believe how bad the Priv keyboard was.
    I didn't want to be the one to throw cold water on the Priv launch excitement, but I don't think you should be left high and dry expressing an opinion... that I share. To me, it feels like they had to decide between making the device one or two millimeters thicker, or compromising on the keyboard... and they chose the latter.

When BlackBerry hardware design has a coin-flip decision to make, why does it always have to "heads, you lose, tails, you lose"? Do they actually do any kind of market research to the effect of "Ok: here's a device that's slightly thicker, with one style of keyboard, and here's another that is slightly thinner, with another style of keyboard. Please try both and tell me which one you prefer."

The thinness of a device doesn't really impact the minute-to-minute use of the device. Sure it's sleek to look at, but sometimes, a little thickness isn't a bad thing: it fills the hand nicely, easier to grip. Making the non-screen part of the Priv so thin, compromising the keyboard in the process, I think it was a mistake.

"Wouldn't it be great if BlackBerry released a device that had a full 16 x 9 screen AND a keyboard as good as the Classic?"

1) Yes
    2) Not if it has to be thicker than an iPhone 6.

Which answer do you choose?

Also, I noticed absolutely horrendous screen blur when using the device.
    I did, too: when scrolling on the Priv, the fact that text became unreadable really struck me. An artifact of Android, an artifact of the GPU, the Screen, BlackBerry's implementation, the GPU drivers... whatever it is, Apple has figured out how to make scrolling on iOS devices buttery smooth, and either no one else can figure it out, or it's just impossible unless the SoC and GPU are designed to work with each other perfectly, whatever. I'm remain ignorant as to why that buttery-smooth-ness seems to be unique to iOS devices, despite lots of other flagships having great screens and powerful SoC and GPU.

Don't the designers notice? Isn't there a product manager at BlackBerry saying "we're not shipping this until the scrolling is buttery smooth?" Steve Jobs wouldn't have shipped the Priv like that.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 11-07-15 at 03:57 PM.
    11-07-15 03:42 PM
    Sorry to hear!

PKB fits my long and lanky 2XL hands just fine, and battery life is stellar! Coming from a Passport it feels a little cramped, but easy to get used to. I love the Passport but kind of missed the 4row with shift and alt buttons without having to use the special character row of the VKB

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    B_Rad BurnZ likes this.
    11-07-15 03:43 PM
    11-07-15 03:47 PM
    Glad you didn't buy it. Imagine how much complaining you saved.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Priv
    11-07-15 03:49 PM
    keyboard is great. sure it is not as big as a classic or passport, but it is not that small. I do not have exact measurements, but it is not much different from some of the keyboards of previous BBOS phones which sold millions and millions of units.

screen is also great, the curved edge does not add much value for me, but it is also not a problem.
    11-07-15 03:50 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5ed8c4111c839f6f810999f7cd776abb2d963007c8449aefd84af3f636a5b1ea.jpg 
Views:	8752 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	379466
    I think it accurately depicts my immense disappointment after waiting to buy this phone for months now...
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    11-07-15 03:50 PM
    Completely disagree with OP. It's by far the best VKB. (Don't compare PKB to other BlackBerry)
    IPhone sucks and do all other Android VKB.
    So to all Android and Apple users you will not get a better virtual or physical keyboard. As for BlackBerry users you have a choice. Stay with BB10 until forced, then what? Priv?

posted from my Priv!
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 11-07-15 at 04:24 PM.
    11-07-15 03:56 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5ed8c4111c839f6f810999f7cd776abb2d963007c8449aefd84af3f636a5b1ea.jpg 
Views:	8752 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	379466
    What does it mean when all I can do is laugh when I read these complaint posts now? I've owned a Passport. And I'm sorry it wasn't the holy grail of phones that everyone makes it out to be. I can name 10 things that made it unusable for me from the width to the weight to the screen dimensions to the stickiness of the screen to the firmness of the keyboard, but I'm sure it's a nice phone for someone. The Priv beats it in every category in my opinion, but that's just me. I don't understand why people feel the need to fault the Priv for such trivial things. I'm sure this won't be the last thread like this one, though.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    _tC, Joao Oliveira, twbtr and 6 others like this.
    11-07-15 03:59 PM
    I used to type on my Torch fine. Priv's keyboard looks bigger to me in pics.
    Now I have a Passport with a huge keyboard.
    I'm sure I would think the Priv's keyboard is tight compared to that.
    It's all subjective.
    It's all about what you're used to.
    Nothing to see here...

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:12 PM
    What does it mean when all I can do is laugh when I read these complaint posts now? I've owned a Passport. And I'm sorry it wasn't the holy grail of phones that everyone makes it out to be. I can name 10 things that made it unusable for me from the width to the weight to the screen dimensions to the stickiness of the screen to the firmness of the keyboard, but I'm sure it's a nice phone for someone. The Priv beats it in every category in my opinion, but that's just me. I don't understand why people feel the need to fault the Priv for such trivial things. I'm sure this won't be the last thread like this one, though.

This has been going through my head lately too, I never owned or even held a passport so I cant give an opinion on it but I remember a very similar s-storm on the forums when it first released about how "unusable" it was. Now all of a sudden it is the holy grail of smartphones. Very fickle crowd us crackberrians are around here, it doesnt seem to matter what phone is out but the previous was always the best. Once again, I cant fairly judge yet, Ill give my official 2 cents when my Priv gets here next week. But im going to try to keep an open mind.

Final note, look what BlackBerry did with the Z10 from 10.0 to now, and that is with software updates alone, while it might not be the right time yet for you to purchase, I dont think it would be fair to dismiss it completely in its first weekend.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:14 PM
    Since blackberry started making phones there keyboards have all been slightly different on different versions of phones. Even the q10, classic and passport are slightly different.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    11-07-15 04:29 PM
    Love my Priv hardware. Got the hardshell case for it today, sweet case to protect this fantastic hardware.

Mr4aces likes this.
    11-07-15 04:29 PM
    I actually just tried the keyboard on the dummy unit today and thought it was better than I expected. Certainly better than my old Torch! Torch was far smaller IMO.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    11-07-15 04:34 PM
    I am all in...this phone is excellent I have had them all just look at my eBay page to see how many phones that I have bought and sold on my quest to find the right one for me...thank you BlackBerry! I look forward to working with you yet again!!

11-07-15 04:42 PM
    Just left the AT&T store and I couldn't believe how bad the Priv keyboard was. It's so unbearably small and uncomfortable.
    That's because of your monstrous giant sized football hands you freak!

... serious though that seems to be the top complaint so far. I'll have to see one myself, my fingers are more nimble than the average beer guzzling sports watching type (not saying you do).

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    11-07-15 04:46 PM
    Couple of things:

In the store, it has all those tethers and charging cables and is not comfortable to hold. I adjusted within a few hours of use and find it to be really nice.

I do not fault you for your impression - the demo unit I saw at AT&T had me worried as well, very laggy and hot. However I had the info from these forums about apps needing updating so was patient.

11-07-15 04:47 PM
    I do not fault you for your impression - the demo unit I saw at AT&T had me worried as well, very laggy and hot. However I had the info from these forums about apps needing updating so was patient.
    True: why would I think that a device at a store would have been updated? So, I guess the screen scrolling may not be an issue with the updates, but the keyboard still feels like a compromise to me.

...and to some of you, watch your tone. Seriously, the OP is as entitled to his opinion (an INFORMED opinion of a BlackBerry device user on CrackBerry.com) as anyone, and certainly the Priv keyboard may be a revelation to some, but just like it's hard to back to an iPhone 3GS once you've used an iPhone 6, going to the Priv keyboard for a BB PKB device user might be a compromise some are unwilling to make.

I also waited for this device for literally THREE YEARS, ever since the original BB10 "Milan" device was announced then scuttled in favour of the Z10 and Q10: I had a Passport but when the Slider was shown at MWC, I sold the Passport before it lost too much value, KNOWING I was going to buy the Slider when it was released, at any price...

...until they said it was going to run Android, and even if you can get past that, the keyboard is not great. It's fine. Not as good as my Q5 keyboard, which I paid $99 for.

If you don't want people telling you that something you like may not be perfect or that other people may not like it, for your own sake and sanity: QUIT THE INTERNET. Now.
    11-07-15 04:58 PM
    I am sure there are adjustments like on PP for color saturation, two things would interest me:
    - any option for copy/paste using the pkb?
    - how ist the pkb in relation to the classic?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 05:01 PM
    I. Love. Mine.

B_Rad BurnZ and jmaxim917 like this.
    11-07-15 05:02 PM
    Haters are gonna hate. I have had nothing but great performance and usability from my Priv.
    allsportsfan and jmaxim917 like this.
    11-07-15 05:03 PM
    I hated the Passport keyboard at first then practice practice practice on it and loved it. I think the Priv will be the same way. You have to give it a chance.

anon(679606) and wincyUt like this.
    11-07-15 05:08 PM
    When BlackBerry hardware design has a coin-flip decision to make, why does it always have to "heads, you lose, tails, you lose"? Do they actually do any kind of market research to the effect of "Ok: here's a device that's slightly thicker, with one style of keyboard, and here's another that is slightly thinner, with another style of keyboard. Please try both and tell me which one you prefer.".
    For the love of god the once vaunted BlackBerry Bold 9700 keyboard was narrower than the Blackberry Curve keyboards yet people raved about its superiority and ease of use. Today we have BlackBerry Passport with a highway-wide keyboard and the Blackberry Priv with a keyboard closer to the BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780/9790 only to hear squeals of outrage about the audacity of incorporating "such a narrow, cheap-feeling keyboard" for the BlackBerry Priv. I swear some people are always on the hunt for something to rail against. Reminds me of the "social justice warriors" (SJW) always up in arms about something or other every other week. if you don't like the BlackBerry priv, don't buy it and don't use it.
    11-07-15 05:10 PM
    Love my Priv hardware. Got the hardshell case for it today, sweet case to protect this fantastic hardware.

Does the hardshell case add much thickness and weight to the BlackBerry Priv?
    11-07-15 05:13 PM
    Unless you have one please don't post any negatively it's hard enough for Blackberry these days. I am on a full day with my Priv and all the the reported issues on here haven't affected my device.
    I understand what some are saying but non of it is a major flaw I personally didn't like the keyboard but after a few hours I can't stop typing on it!
    11-07-15 05:16 PM
118 123 ...