I'll maintain there's nothing secure about Android, regardless of BB's version of it. This article is about Android in general, not BB-specific, but since the subject should apply to all Android phones, here it is:

Police are filing warrants for Android�s vast store of location data
    Google's data is precise enough to place suspects at the scene of a crime

Police are filing warrants for Android?s vast store of location data | The Verge

For those that don't care to read the whole article, you can just scroll down to the actual images of search warrants filed right here in the U.S. - in U.S. vs. Timothy Flowers, U.S. vs. Timothy Graham, where they seek to mine the location data from Android to show where a person was at any particular time.

Richard
    06-01-16 02:19 PM
    It's not really an issue of Android, it's an issue of Google Maps and how it works.

Are you sure that BlackBerry Maps doesn't store this data also?
    Thud Hardsmack and jaydee5799 like this.
    06-01-16 02:26 PM
    OsmAnd (offline and open source map) is the way to go... Android isn't the issue, Google is... Stay far and clear from Google and it makes the tracking far less severe and harder for forces like the #PoliceStateUSA and other such entities to track a person... I'm not saying ANY mobile platform is secure, in fact, if you are using a modern cell phone 9/10 you CAN be located, whether or not you are on Android or otherwise, but using Google services is one of the quickest ways (along side Facebook and other social networks) that one can be tracked down. Remove such nonsense from your daily life and such entities are once more forced back into having to do ACTUAL work to find a person of interest instead of us doing the work for them...

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 02:32 PM
    Or leave your phone at home if you plan on committing a crime :-)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-01-16 02:33 PM

A burner is the better way to approach the situation... Presents a chance to issue a few red herrings here and there and deflect the attention elsewhere while you jet the opposite way...

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 02:35 PM
    good thing rubbers are not to smart to leave their smart phones at home
    06-01-16 02:37 PM
    Very interesting.

On the other hand, someone that is going to commit a crime can give his phone to a friend to go to another part of the city. So that will give you an alibi if police check you location data.

Posted via CB10
    CivilDissident likes this.
    06-01-16 02:42 PM
    Nope; I'm not sure. What I do know is that I don't use Google Maps on my phone.

Richard
    06-01-16 02:44 PM
    what makes think that bb10 devices with android runtime are not traceable?
    and why do you think most smart phones have non removable battery space and bigger battery?how about battery disconnect switch for privacy reasons
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-01-16 02:49 PM
    I am curious about the storage info. I have gone to some location (no pun intended) on Google where you can see what "history" they have accumulated and what location data. Mine shows that they have none as I turned it off. But maybe that's the "public" side of what they have in their "vaults" and not what they actually maintain.

But Google aside, can't they inquire of our carriers to where a phone is/was located at certain times. Maybe not exactly but close as they can determine which towers you were "using" when the phone was awake. Of course, in a place like Manhattan you and 10,000 of your closest friends could be using the same towers. But in Podunkville, maybe only 4 or 5 folks would be on a tower.
    rbtg likes this.
    06-01-16 02:52 PM
    Law enforcement is out of control in every country. They forget or ignore the fact that they are a servant of the citizens.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    06-01-16 06:38 PM
    Law enforcement is out of control in every country. They forget or ignore the fact that they are a servant of the citizens.

Citizens, yes, but once you break the law, you forfeit your rights as a citizen. Citizenship usually comes with the caveat of obeying the laws of the land.

rbtg, garpt, mmcclure0453 and 1 others like this.
    06-01-16 08:00 PM

Law enforcement is not a servant of the citizens. It's nice to think that and I wish it were true, but it isn't true. Law enforcement serves the government: They keep order, enforce laws, and arrest people who have broken the law. Sometimes they will protect, and sometimes they will help out, but that's not their main duty. That's not to say law enforcement can do anything they want. We absolutely need to keep them in-check with what they can and can't do. They can also be corrupt.
    CivilDissident and Norg like this.
    06-01-16 08:36 PM
    I am curious about the storage info. I have gone to some location (no pun intended) on Google where you can see what "history" they have accumulated and what location data. Mine shows that they have none as I turned it off. But maybe that's the "public" side of what they have in their "vaults" and not what they actually maintain.

But Google aside, can't they inquire of our carriers to where a phone is/was located at certain times. Maybe not exactly but close as they can determine which towers you were "using" when the phone was awake. Of course, in a place like Manhattan you and 10,000 of your closest friends could be using the same towers. But in Podunkville, maybe only 4 or 5 folks would be on a tower.
    Carriers can provide alot of location data but they don't keep it for long periods of time.

As to precision, the more towers there are the more precise the tracking. This is why when you read stories of missing people in rural areas or in woods, rescuers may take a longer time to find them even if they get a cellphone ping. It also varies on the technology used. For years CDMA networks like Verizon were more precise as they used a combination of GPS data and Advanced Forward Link Trilateration on cell towers to provide what is called Phased II level data for emergency use such as when someone calls 911 and emergency services gets coordinates on the caller in latitude and longitude . The FCC is mandating use of more precision in locations for carriers within 50 meters by 2017 for E911 so its all moot anyway whether they get it from your carrier or Google if the purpose is to get recent movements.
    FF22 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-01-16 09:04 PM
    At least DTEK warns you when an app accesses your location.

06-02-16 05:32 AM
    A burner is the better way to approach the situation... Presents a chance to issue a few red herrings here and there and deflect the attention elsewhere while you jet the opposite way...

Posted via CB10
    i never understood the purpose of carrying a phone if being a criminal is your profession, i mean really what do you need it for to post it on fb or call your buddy's to tell them about it? i would think the less info known on a crime the better it is for the criminal or am i wrong.
    06-02-16 08:16 AM
    At least DTEK warns you when an app accesses your location.

dtek is a gimmick all these apps prior to installation tell you what they need access to in order to work, users need to look thru the app permissions before installing these apps
    Bluenoser63 and Kwms like this.
    06-02-16 08:21 AM
    Very interesting.

On the other hand, someone that is going to commit a crime can give his phone to a friend to go to another part of the city. So that will give you an alibi if police check you location data.

Posted via CB10
    i may have to throw this in my bag of tricks
    FF22 and jas1978 like this.
    06-02-16 08:22 AM
    I don't know about everyone else but I've found that Google location history isn't terribly accurate. For some reason yet to be explained, my G3 refuses to operate using just the GPS chip, which forces the device to report by tower and other networks which produces some very strange results. In one instance, according to Google, I dropped my daughter off at the post office instead of school, and in another i was apparently working from a bank parking lot for 6 out of 8 hours. If law enforcement runs into that scenario after subpoenaing location data it could have some unexpected errors trying to pin someone to the scene of a crime. In addition, does Google retain previous data if a user makes corrections to their history?
    FF22 likes this.
    06-02-16 08:28 AM
    i never understood the purpose of carrying a phone if being a criminal is your profession, i mean really what do you need it for to post it on fb or call your buddy's to tell them about it? i would think the less info known on a crime the better it is for the criminal or am i wrong.
    In the case of burners, you don't have to show your ID to buy them. You can provide a fake name and address if such info is needed. This why many countries are looking into laws that would more or less signal the end of burners, as they would require you to provide the same sort of ID that you would for a normal cell phone. Then again since places like gas stations are where a lot of these phones are sold, they'll figure out a gray area solution.

06-02-16 10:38 AM

What if your competitors buy your info from Google? Or from a hacker? Or from a Google employee? What if your competitor is Google? Or Alpha? Or a company funded by Google?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    06-02-16 12:53 PM
    Citizens, yes, but once you break the law, you forfeit your rights as a citizen. Citizenship usually comes with the caveat of obeying the laws of the land.
    That is absolutely NOT how it works in most countries.
    06-02-16 02:33 PM
    This is why the Prison System is packed... Too many petty criminals posting selfies of the Gold Bars they've just stolen from that bank 15mins ago...

Posted via CB10
    rbtg and FF22 like this.
    06-02-16 04:46 PM

"Obeying the laws of the land" is NOT what it truly means to be a citizen... Being a citizen means so much more than simply submitting to a corrupt Government entity... Questioning the laws and pressing for change is a human right... Unfortunately it can also be a felony, but that doesn't make a person a criminal, could very well make them a leader...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 06-03-16 at 04:15 AM.
    medic22003 likes this.
    06-02-16 04:53 PM

You DO NOT forfeit your rights. In fact when you are arrested you are read year rights and in the us you also retain your constitutional rights. I mean cmon, do you truly believe the minute you do something wrong you no longer have any rights? Even if you are a suspect they legally need a warrant with just cause to go violate your privacy. 4th amendment. Sorry I just see that comment here so much and it's just not true.

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    06-02-16 06:09 PM
58 123