View Poll Results: Your thoughts about rooting the Priv:

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not enough people care enough about rooting the Priv.

23 47.92%
  • It's going to happen anytime now.

11 22.92%
  • BlackBerry really has made it unrootable.

21 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Before the Priv was available for sale anywhere, more than a few people here on CB predicted that once it was released it would be rooted within a week. As far as I know, this hasn't happened. Which of the following best expresses your view of the matter:
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-09-15 10:20 AM
    Xda has a thread on the issue.

They are looking to raise funds for a developer to buy the device.

Posted via CB10
    idhbar, Mecca EL and ProjectBrett like this.
    12-09-15 10:24 AM
    Xda has a thread on the issue.

They are looking to raise funds for a developer to buy the device.

Posted via CB10
    Seriously? Lol. Honestly it can't be rooted or it would have been done ages ago.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (cricket OS 10.3.2.2474) вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv via CB for Android 2.0.3 (TMo OS Lollipop 5.1.1)
    12-09-15 10:26 AM
    Did more people care about rooting black phone? I didn't even know what a black phone was until it got rooted. How long did it take black phone to get rooted again?
    12-09-15 10:54 AM
    It does not matter whether priv will be rooted or not. The main question is whether your data is secure from Google or not. And the answer is No. Google has full control over all android devices through play store services.
    FF22, BB_PP, gfondeur and 5 others like this.
    12-09-15 11:11 AM
    Seriously? Lol. Honestly it can't be rooted or it would have been done ages ago.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (cricket OS 10.3.2.2474) вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv via CB for Android 2.0.3 (TMo OS Lollipop 5.1.1)
    Nonsense. It took how long for the G4 to get rooted? Longer then the Priv has been out.

It may or may not happen, but dont think if it hasnt happened by now, it wont.
    Mecca EL and Witmen like this.
    12-09-15 11:23 AM
    im not sure enough people care yet.
    12-09-15 11:28 AM
    very new to the android space, can someone give me a definition of what rooting.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 12:08 PM
    is.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 12:08 PM
    very new to the android space, can someone give me a definition of what rooting.

Posted via CB10
    It just gives you access to every part of the device (superuser access), allowing you or apps to change anything, literally.

So some people will make cosmetic modifications (like moving the notification bar to the bottom), some people will make functional modifications (like changing CPU speed), and some people will use it to add or bypass restrictions on apps. Devs especially like it for developing some pretty sophisticated apps.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Mecca EL and bodjor like this.
    12-09-15 12:13 PM
    Waste of time

Pasaporte Pilipinas� | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2813
    12-09-15 12:17 PM

You obviously do not read XDA or understand the culture. Simply because BlackBerry had said the Priv cannot be rooted right there gave incentive to do so. What needs to be done to root the Priv is already known, and has been since Nov. 6 over at XDA. What is not known is the how. It was estimated on Nov. 6 that it would take two years at most to figure it out.

There is also a CrackBerry user who has shown over on XDA how to access the bootloader with the -01 model. Another XDA member claims to have installed Busybox (which requires superuser/root) but that superuser itself does not work as of now. This same user claims that the Priv has a hidden, but accessible, dev menu and that the Priv also has fastboot but that fastboot does nothing.

A Priv autoloader is also up on XDA.

Point being, it is being looked into and you can check it out over at XDA on your own time (no link provided in case XDA is considered a "competing" forum).

You also need to understand what exactly it means to gain root. In essence, it simply means to gain administrative privilege over the phone/system files. Keep in mind that just because you may gain root does not necessarily mean that you can overwrite system files or flash a custom ROM.

im not sure enough people care yet.
    Around here, probably not. But in general, however, yeah I'd say that enough do. That does not mean that most will will root a Priv, however, as the majority likely will not.
    12-09-15 12:26 PM
    BlackBerry was careful not to say that the Priv can't be rooted. They just said it would be difficult.
    12-09-15 12:42 PM
    I honestly don't think people cares about rooting the Priv.

The main purpose of this phone was to have the feeling that you're secure from any attacks from 3rd party developers thus having the root/bootloader locked.

Yes, it's awesome to have root and be able to control your phone the way you want it too but in the end it causes more issues as some users will delete certain needed files to run properly. They'll eventually get frustrated and end up writing a new post on CrackBerry forums saying they made a huge mistake and think the Priv "sucks" after going to this new OS.
    ce71 and ProjectBrett like this.
    12-09-15 12:43 PM
    I honestly don't think people cares about rooting the Priv.

The main purpose of this phone was to have the feeling that you're secure from any attacks from 3rd party developers thus having the root/bootloader locked.

Yes, it's awesome to have root and be able to control your phone the way you want it too but in the end it causes more issues as some users will delete certain needed files to run properly. They'll eventually get frustrated and end up writing a new post on CrackBerry forums saying they made a huge mistake and think the Priv "sucks" after going to this new OS.
    Actually, some people (not me) are more interested in the PKB. I know on XDA, some said if it was able to be rooted, they would absolutely buy it for that alone. They just want a PKB and their custom ROM, security be damned.

kirson and Witmen like this.
    12-09-15 12:46 PM
    Actually, some people (not me) are more interested in the PKB. I know on XDA, some said if it was able to be rooted, they would absolutely buy it for that alone. They just want a PKB and their custom ROM, security be damned.

Have you thought what would happen if the PKB doesn't work on the custom ROM as no one in the history of Android ever cooked a ROM with PKB?

The posts that developer will get from the frustrated BB/XDA community... All hell will break loose!
    12-09-15 12:47 PM
    Have you thought what would happen if the PKB doesn't work on the custom ROM as no one in the history of Android ever cooked a ROM with PKB?

The posts that developer will get from the frustrated BB/XDA community... All hell will break loose!
    😄😄😄

People complain when weather apps can't start their cars!

12-09-15 12:49 PM

Wasnt there custom ROMs for the Motorola Milestone?
    12-09-15 12:54 PM
    No point in rooting it, BlackBerry will just update it and nullify the root access anyway.

12-09-15 12:55 PM
    Wasnt there custom ROMs for the Motorola Milestone?
    I guess there were some cook ROMS. Doubt anyone in the BB community will want to root and flash it.. nulls the warranty. Maybe next year
    12-09-15 12:57 PM
    Before the Priv was available for sale anywhere, more than a few people here on CB predicted that once it was released it would be rooted within a week. As far as I know, this hasn't happened. Which of the following best expresses your view of the matter:
    And I have to admit that I was one of those people, although, I did say it would be rooted at XDA by Christmas. Guess they better get crackin' (literally). . Looks like I will be wrong and I am happy about that.
    12-09-15 12:59 PM
    Barely any and all of them had issues with the PKB. That's why no one even touched it.
    Really. My friend was using his Milestone until a couple of years ago with Custom ROMs and no issues with the PKB. Will have to find out which ROMs they were
    12-09-15 01:00 PM
    No point in rooting it, BlackBerry will just update it and nullify the root access anyway.

Have you ever heard the expression "because it is there".
    12-09-15 01:02 PM
    Many devices do not even need to be rooted to load up a custom ROM.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    12-09-15 01:16 PM
    Aren't there some devices that aren't supposed to be more "secure" than others that simply can't be rooted.

I think my friend has an old HTC that can't.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    12-09-15 01:18 PM
115 123 ...