The European Union, which is the post I responded to, do things their own way.

And it's software updates that are in question.
    Good luck with that as if BlackBerry was concerned they'd be doing things differently. Capitalism at it's finest.
    12-15-17 03:48 AM
    Good luck with that as if BlackBerry was concerned they'd be doing things differently. Capitalism at it's finest.
    Yep, it's great, different countries do things their way.
    12-15-17 03:52 AM
    Yep, it's great, different countries do things their way.
    BlackBerry has done business in the EU for years. Obviously, their lawyers there, counsel them on what they have to do at minimum to stay legal and just compliant.
    12-15-17 03:57 AM
    The European Union, which is the post I responded to, do things their own way.

And it's software updates that are in question.
    Android phones have existed in EU countries for a decade now right, with many other OEMs with worst update history than BB Android and not one finger has moved, stop living the pipedream.
    anon(9803228), glwerry and PHughes like this.
    12-15-17 04:00 AM
    I hope the trade in program gives me at least $150 for this thing! I'm itching for a K1 anyway.
    12-15-17 04:04 AM
    Android phones have existed in EU countries for a decade now right, with many other OEMs with worst update history than BB Android and not one finger has moved, stop living the pipedream.
    Do you live in the EU?
    12-15-17 04:05 AM
    BlackBerry has done business in the EU for years. Obviously, their lawyers there, counsel them on what they have to do at minimum to stay legal and just compliant.
    So, focus your responses on the the EU posters.
    12-15-17 04:07 AM
    How reliable is this trade in thing?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-15-17 04:14 AM
    How reliable is this trade in thing?
    The deal hasn't been made yet, going by the statements made by BlackBerry.
    Last edited by Heavens1; 12-15-17 at 04:31 AM.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-15-17 04:18 AM
    You don't think BlackBerry already investigated the fine print when they printed the fine print? It's what they pay the lawyers to do.

Besides, the company officially exited hardware.....this has been well planned from a legal standpoint, the whole time.
    Quite sure they made the risk assessment and concluded to be able to get away with it.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 04:19 AM

Without updates phones still can call/text/whatsapp/browse the internet. Whatever. It still functions the 3-5 years so no reason to take any action.

Its the "most secure" claim that makes a Blackberry Android different.

Now it first I missed the statement on critical issues that still will be fixed. So guess outcome of the risk assessment probably was they are in the clear.

Blackberry having left hardware business isn't relevant by the way. Same legal entity still exists doesnt it?

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 04:32 AM
    Without updates phones still can call/text/whatsapp/browse the internet. Whatever. It still functions the 3-5 years so no reason to take any action.

Its the "most secure" claim that makes a Blackberry Android different.

Now it first I missed the statement on critical issues that still will be fixed. So guess outcome of the risk assessment probably was they are in the clear.

Blackberry having left hardware business isn't relevant by the way. Same legal entity still exists doesnt it?

Posted via CB10
    Sure it's relevant. It changes intent and recourse options. Semantic at one level can mean different things at other levels.
    12-15-17 04:36 AM
    Yet another reason not to go out of the way to support BlackBerry in the future. They claim to be a security company but won't seem take take updates seriously for any of their devices. At the very least they should have given a few months warning or transitioned to quarterly updates for the last year Android M is receiving them.
    12-15-17 04:45 AM
    Yet another reason not to go out of the way to support BlackBerry in the future. They claim to be a security company but won't seem take take updates seriously for any of their devices. At the very least they should have given a few months warning or transitioned to quarterly updates for the last year Android M is receiving them.
    This ^
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-15-17 04:56 AM
    my biggest worry is that this won't be an advance exchange so I would be left without a phone for 2 weeks.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-15-17 05:16 AM
    my biggest worry is that this won't be an advance exchange so I would be left without a phone for 2 weeks.
    Always a good thing to have a backup smartphone in general, there are some great options for cheap
    12-15-17 05:23 AM
    I hope the trade in program gives me at least $150 for this thing! I'm itching for a K1 anyway.
    Just my prediction (which has gone very well in the past lol not really)

Passport, Classic , Leap = $100 off a KEYᵒⁿᵉ or Motion

Z30, Q10, Q5, Z3, Z10 = $75 off a KEYᵒⁿᵉ or Motion.

Any BBOS device = $50 off a KEYᵒⁿᵉ or Motion.

Obviously all devices must be in full working condition.

(1)Must power on
    (2)Make a test Call
    (3)Have a functioning LCD (Or AMOLED)
    (4)Have intact housing
    (5)No water exposure
    (6)Have a functioning keypad (If present)
    (7)Must include battery (Where removable)
    (8)Must not have an active line
    12-15-17 05:37 AM
    Always a good thing to have a backup smartphone in general, there are some great options for cheap
    Yeah once the details get fleshed out I will scour Swappa for something cheap to tide the time. Worst case I will have to use a nasty ol' VKB for a week or two. 🙅
    12-15-17 05:41 AM

Obviously all devices must be in full working condition.

(1)Must power on
    (2)Make a test Call
    (3)Have a functioning LCD (Or AMOLED)
    (4)Have intact housing
    (5)No water exposure
    (6)Have a functioning keypad (If present)
    (7)Must include battery (Where removable)
    (8)Must not have an active line
    Why do all those things matter? Do they plan on reselling those devices in developing market's? I thought it was just an incentive to push people into KEYone's/Motions and that they would just recycle the BBOS/BB10 phones.
    12-15-17 05:55 AM
    I will give anyone 100 right now for their passport se..i have a spot: for it

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 06:17 AM
    Why do all those things matter? Do they plan on reselling those devices in developing market's? I thought it was just an incentive to push people into KEYone's/Motions and that they would just recycle the BBOS/BB10 phones.
    How funny would it be if they took those returned Priv's, updated them to Android 8, and resold them as a "Special Edition"!

Come to think of it, I'd probably turn around and re-buy one if they did...
    Wezard, puffstack and skinnymike1 like this.
    12-15-17 06:48 AM
    How funny would it be if they took those returned Priv's, updated them to Android 8, and resold them as a "Special Edition"!

Come to think of it, I'd probably turn around and re-buy one if they did...
    That will be the new "Palm" hardware device rumored for 2018......
    gizmo21 and skinnymike1 like this.
    12-15-17 07:02 AM
    On the bright side, those looking for batteries will soon be able to pick up a brand new Priv for less than the cost of a battery.
    The incentive for downgrading to a newer BB branded device, will prob be in the $20 to 25 dollar (US) range.
    And of course, updates to the newer BB branded devices are now very suspect.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-15-17 07:13 AM
    On the bright side, those looking for batteries will soon be able to pick up a brand new Priv for less than the cost of a battery.
    The incentive for downgrading to a newer BB branded device, will prob be in the $20 to 25 dollar (US) range.
    And of course, updates to the newer BB branded devices are now very suspect.
    I mean, if this is any indication, the KeyOne still has a good year and a half left, right?
    12-15-17 07:18 AM
    I mean, if this is any indication, the KeyOne still has a good year and a half left, right?
    The Motion was released (in its Canadian promotional material) with an explicit promise for 24 months of security patches.

Google Pixel devices, by way of comparison, are guaranteed security patches for either 36 months total, or 18 months after the device is no longer available for sale directly from Google, whichever is longer.
    12-15-17 07:36 AM
196 1234 ...