Status of PRIV Monthly Updates | Inside BlackBerry

As I recently wrote, BlackBerry phones are the world’s most secure Android smartphones because we’ve designed security into every possible piece of the software that runs them.

We inject security keys during manufacturing to make sure that you have genuine hardware. We utilize “secure boot” technology to make sure that no malware loads before the operating system and to prevent the operating system from being “downgraded” to a less secure version. We make modifications throughout the Android operating system “stack” to not only harden it, but also to have “triggers” that help identify if there is an attempt to hack the software, you are alerted.

BlackBerry locks down capabilities in the Android OS that could give attackers the opportunity to compromise your device, and our software provides a secure environment that makes it difficult for attackers to find vulnerabilities or perform attacks.

The modifications we make to Android, long before the device is ever used, provide more durable security and require far fewer patches than non-BlackBerry smartphones.

When we introduced our first Android device more than 24 months ago, we committed to delivering 2 years of monthly software updates for the PRIV. True to our word, we fulfilled this commitment though in truth, the PRIV’s built-in security posture had little need for many of the updates we delivered in conjunction with partners such as Google and Qualcomm.

Having now stepped outside the original 2-year window, we will no longer be delivering monthly updates for the PRIV moving forward. That said, we continue to support our loyal users as follows:

First, we will of course fulfill all warranty obligations for the PRIV.

Second, as outlined above we believe our phones are inherently more secure because of the way they’ve been designed with security features from the inside out.

Third, should a critical vulnerability be exposed we will engage our partners as needed to develop and deliver necessary patches.

Fourth, we are thrilled to announce that with our partners at BlackBerry Mobile we will soon be introducing a trade-up program for current BlackBerry customers who are still using the PRIV as well as those holding onto BB10 and BBOS devices. Stay tuned for details and get ready to upgrade to a BlackBerry KeyOne or Motion, the most secure Android smartphones on the planet.
    anon(3641385) and skinnymike1 like this.
    12-14-17 10:17 PM
    Rip. We all knew it was coming.
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    12-14-17 10:20 PM
    I haven't used my Priv for even 8 months fully, and I can't believe that this phone have been discarded by BlackBerry like this.

Trust loss is the biggest loss whether it's BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile. While I'll continue to use it as long as I can, but coming back to BlackBerry Mobile looks unlikely. I'll rather consider a Pixel or a Motorola.

Sent from my STV100-3 using CB Forums mobile app
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-14-17 10:31 PM
    glad to see they are putting dates on all this stuff. Makes it clear to everyone.
    12-14-17 10:41 PM
    glad to see they are putting dates on all this stuff. Makes it clear to everyone.
    They still haven't said anything about the status of bb10. I'd like a date about that.
    12-14-17 10:49 PM
    I'm not surprised, and am intrigued to see what trade-up options they offer. My daughter is now using my well-used PRIV, and if there's a way to upgrade the device I'm interested to see how it all will work. Plus, this is a refreshingly clear statement about this device's status and future.
    12-14-17 10:51 PM
    They still haven't said anything about the status of bb10. I'd like a date about that.
    Check the latest posts...thurask just posted about it from Blackberry blogs

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and skinnymike1 like this.
    12-14-17 10:53 PM
    I thought it was generally understood that BB10 (RIP-we barely knew ye) is essentially in security maintenance mode with no real development.
    12-14-17 10:54 PM
    Check the latest posts...thurask just posted about it from Blackberry blogs

Posted via CB10
    All I read was that there is some trade In program soon. Where did it say about not supporting bb10?
    12-14-17 10:55 PM
    I haven't used my Priv for even 8 months fully, and I can't believe that this phone have been discarded by BlackBerry like this.

Trust loss is the biggest loss whether it's BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile. While I'll continue to use it as long as I can, but coming back to BlackBerry Mobile looks unlikely. I'll rather consider a Pixel or a Motorola.

Sent from my STV100-3 using CB Forums mobile app
    If you are unsatisfied with a BlackBerry update policy, you would be even more disappointed with a Motorola.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...patches/?amp=1

Fair enough with a Pixel device if you can pay for it.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-14-17 10:56 PM
    All I read was that there is some trade In program soon. Where did it say about not supporting bb10?
    Two years of "support" left.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...berry-1132968/
    Qorax likes this.
    12-14-17 10:56 PM
    12-14-17 10:58 PM
    And deteriorating support at that

Posted via CB10
    12-14-17 11:13 PM
    I now have 2 Privs and love them, such a great device for me. I look forward to a good trade in plan
    Michael J Duffy likes this.
    12-14-17 11:33 PM
    🥀 I love the PRIV. It has been a joy for me to use. I have both the PRIV and the KEYone. When I got the KEYone I continued to use the PRIV because it is such an awesome design. So I use them both about equally. Of course the KEYone runs better because it is newer. But the PRIV has features that made it so I wanted to continue using it even though I got the newer phone. No I wouldn't have traded in my PRIV because of incentives in order to get a KEYone but perhaps I would have saved up for it. I had the amazing fortune to win a KEYone. My dream phone is a PRIV 2 type phone. The Motion is a fine sounding device but I would never trade in the PRIV for it because I want the pkb. If there is some future PRIV2 I would be happy.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 12-15-17 at 02:47 AM.
    12-14-17 11:41 PM
    Most private and secure Android phone the marketing bla bla said. It apparently just is marketing bla bla.

Private: nope, it's Android
    Secure: No Nougat, however that wasn't required due to the monthly security updates wasn't it. Wel at least some here claimed that

No more security updates: Great, way to go. Luckily the architecture is inherently safe.

The core hardening would have protected against KRACK?

So within 1.5 years I can write off a 599 euro phone.

I dont expect 10 year support. 1.5 years however is just not enough. This part of the World has actual laws that enforce vendors to ensure products perform wel during an "reasonable to be expected lifetime". For a phone reasonable would be something between 3-5 years. So in the Priv case, most secure for 3-5 years.

OH, and only then I read the third remark on critical issues that will be fixed.

Ah well, all good then? No worries on security?

In a way sad news. Still thanks for sharing Thurask.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnsliderbb; 12-15-17 at 01:36 AM.
    12-15-17 01:06 AM
    Glad they put the horse out of its misery.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-15-17 01:53 AM
    It is what it is. Glad we finally know with certainty. I can now stop checking daily for an update.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-15-17 02:14 AM
    Aren't we still supposed to get the November one? That would at least close the full 2 years, even though I thought it was confirmed to keep getting updates until late 2018...
    12-15-17 02:20 AM
    Aren't we still supposed to get the November one? That would at least close the full 2 years, even though I thought it was confirmed to keep getting updates until late 2018...
    Plans change. Commitments change.
    12-15-17 02:28 AM
    Plans change. Commitments change.
    Haven't some ppl already receive the November update? I just got my brand new Priv just a month ago :/ Don't know how important it is to have the latest security update for a regular consumer but if it's that crucial then I may need to sell it and just get another KEYone or Krypton
    12-15-17 02:31 AM
    Haven't some ppl already receive the November update? I just got my brand new Priv just a month ago :/ Don't know how important it is to have the latest security update for a regular consumer but if it's that crucial then I may need to sell it and just get another KEYone or Krypton
    Golly, you still trust BlackBerry to do the right thing by BlackBerry mobile . ... hmmmm ....
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-15-17 02:47 AM
    Most private and secure Android phone the marketing bla bla said. It apparently just is marketing bla bla.

Private: nope, it's Android
    Secure: No Nougat, however that wasn't required due to the monthly security updates wasn't it. Wel at least some here claimed that

No more security updates: Great, way to go. Luckily the architecture is inherently safe.

The core hardening would have protected against KRACK?

So within 1.5 years I can write off a 599 euro phone.

I dont expect 10 year support. 1.5 years however is just not enough. This part of the World has actual laws that enforce vendors to ensure products perform wel during an "reasonable to be expected lifetime". For a phone reasonable would be something between 3-5 years. So in the Priv case, most secure for 3-5 years.

OH, and only then I read the third remark on critical issues that will be fixed.

Ah well, all good then? No worries on security?

In a way sad news. Still thanks for sharing Thurask.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, and I hope you'll take this scenario to your consumer rights advocates for their consideration / action.

Please keep us in the loop
    12-15-17 02:50 AM
    Yep, and I hope you'll take this scenario to your consumer rights advocates for their consideration / action.

Please keep us in the loop
    You don't think BlackBerry already investigated the fine print when they printed the fine print? It's what they pay the lawyers to do.

Besides, the company officially exited hardware.....this has been well planned from a legal standpoint, the whole time.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-15-17 03:38 AM
    You don't think BlackBerry already investigated the fine print when they printed the fine print? It's what they pay the lawyers to do.

Besides, the company officially exited hardware.....this has been well planned from a legal standpoint, the whole time.
    The European Union, which is the post I responded to, do things their own way.

And it's software updates that are in question.
    12-15-17 03:42 AM
196 123 ...