Yeah... Except they can't just load whatever they want, it's a little, well a lot more complicated than that
    Of course it is, but although there were layoffs there seem to be some guys left at BB who should be able to do so.
    03-04-15 11:19 AM
    Pretend that your slab phone is a slider. You might put your thumb in the middle of the screen to slide it up but once you are done you hold it by the sides when you want to show it to people. You don't leave your thumb in the middle of the screen unless you are very awkward about the way that you display a smart phone. He doesn't hold the Leaps that way doing the same presentation.

He is either holding the two parts of the phone together for some reason or holding it open or he is actually holding some kind a screen overlay. My guess is that the slider mechanism moves on track but it doesn't lock open or closed yet.
    Please see the video on the home page. Should prove my point nicely.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 11:20 AM
    If you watch the front page video, when he closes the slider, the light goes off, but the icons are still visable.
    Phone is running bb10. Let's stop all this speculation which again is already illogical to begin with.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    Of course it is, but although there were layoffs there seem to be some guys left at BB who should be able to do so.
    They have to modify a BlackBerry 10 device to the point where it won't even be considered a BlackBerry 10 device anymore. There a boot check on every BlackBerry 10 device (possibly every BlackBerry device) that makes sure it's a BlackBerry 10 OS on there

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 11:22 AM
    If you watch the front page video, when he closes the slider, the light goes off, but the icons are still visable.
    I noticed that too and thought it odd. If it is just a sticker overlay then that would make sense. Otherwise I have no idea why it would do that.
    03-04-15 11:27 AM
    Kids. Stop the back and forth. Just drop it.
    03-04-15 11:30 AM
    Is it beyond speculation that someone wanted to find out the performance of the android emulator and that's why they loaded the android apk. Makes perfect sense to me to compare the android app performance to actual android phones.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-04-15 11:32 AM
    But they could run Tizen.
    But why would they?

They have a magnificent OS as it is, they would have to port everything over and would lose their originality, as well as their security, as well as drop support for every other BlackBerry10 device out there.

People, we know it's BlackBerry10 on it and there is absolutely zero reason why it looks like something else or why there would be something else, can we move on?

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    03-04-15 11:37 AM
    They have to modify a BlackBerry 10 device to the point where it won't even be considered a BlackBerry 10 device anymore. There a boot check on every BlackBerry 10 device (possibly every BlackBerry device) that makes sure it's a BlackBerry 10 OS on there
    Don't tell me things I already know.
    You really think that the manufacturer/designer of a smartphone wouldn't be able to do load another OS on it?

Is it beyond speculation that someone wanted to find out the performance of the android emulator and that's why they loaded the android apk. Makes perfect sense to me to compare the android app performance to actual android phones.
    Well the information at the moment is that this doesn't work (at least with an unmodified app). If you modify a geekbench apk successfully, please let us know.
    Last edited by Maxxxpower; 03-04-15 at 03:35 PM.
    03-04-15 11:37 AM
    But why would they?
    Because, according to the curved amoled screen used, the device seems to be kind of a co-work between BB and Samsung. Although I'd think the usage of Tizen would be unlikely as it is even less successful than BB10.

They have a magnificent OS as it is, they would have to port everything over and would lose their originality, as well as their security, as well as drop support for every other BlackBerry10 device out there.
    Well the "magnificent OS" hasn't exactly been a success. One day, John Chen will calculate whether it still makes sense to continue development of BB10.

People, we know it's BlackBerry10 on it and there is absolutely zero reason why it looks like something else or why there would be something else, can we move on?
    If they're not totally naive they have at least PLAN B to BB10. Could be exit of device business and focus on apps and software for other OSes, could be the production of non-BB10 devices, who knows...
    03-04-15 11:43 AM
    Too many moving parts on the slider. there should be a non slider version. All i wanted was a full touchscreen berry device with passport specs and improved camera.
    Well, if you don't slide the keyboard out because you don't need to, you'll probably get what you want: "full touchscreen berry device with passport specs and improved camera". They are just trying to please everyone with this device. It doesn't even look thick with closed keyboard. But I agree with some in here. The sliding mechanism they showed off might not be a final version. Only time will tell.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-04-15 11:52 AM
    Something strange about that slider-screen-shot-2015-03-04-12.27.34-pm.png
    Something strange about that slider-screen-shot-2015-03-04-12.09.08-pm.png

Maybe this is a new feature of BB10. This obviously isn't functioning even for demo purposes as he only showed them for a few seconds and nobody was able to get a good picture.
    Last edited by early2bed; 03-04-15 at 12:28 PM.
    redsaph likes this.
    03-04-15 12:13 PM
    Tizen would be unlikely as it is even less successful than BB10.
    It's only been on the street for just over a month, in two countries. It's a little premature to say if it's a success or not. But Samsung could look to BlackBerry to grow Tizen.
    03-04-15 12:14 PM
    It's only been on the street for just over a month, in two countries. It's a little premature to say if it's a success or not..
    I thought it was available a little longer since it has been in the news for a really long time and i didn't care much about it.
    But Samsung could look to BlackBerry to grow Tizen.
    They're trying to push Tizen on various other smart devices (watches, tvs) I just don't see Blackberry bring such a device onto market in 2015. If they turn their back on BB10 it would imho make much more sense to move towards Android as an Android device has a larger buyer potential than a Tizen device which probably has the same app problem as BB10.
    03-04-15 12:21 PM
    I find it funny that there are people who seem to insist that an OS on a prototype phone must look and function exactly like like what they have on their own phone.

It's an absolute guarantee that there are MANY, MANY version of BB10 that are being used and tested internally at Blackberry.
    03-04-15 12:50 PM
    BlackBerry is NOT going to use Titan. That would be the dumbest thing they could do. I could imagine Android, although I think it'd be still using QNX at the core and just using full Android as an additional OS using QNX as a hypervisor. Tizen offers them absolutely nothing.
    03-04-15 12:52 PM
    Kids. Stop the back and forth. Just drop it.
    What he said.
    Step back and cool off. Posts have been deleted. NO repeats please.
    kbz1960, D3C0D3R and Elite1 like this.
    03-04-15 12:55 PM
    BlackBerry is NOT going to use Tizen. That would be the dumbest thing they could do.
    Dumber than starting their own OS from scratch and trying to grow it to 2% market share after two years.
    03-04-15 01:02 PM
    Dumber than starting their own OS from scratch and trying to grow it to 2% market share after two years.
    Wasn't from scratch

Check Out TechCraze
    03-04-15 01:05 PM
    Starting over from scratch at this point would be stupid. It'd be throwing out years of effort and lots of money. Using Tizen would be similar to that, because Tizen is starting over at square one. BB building BB10 based on QNX years ago was something they had to do, so they could replace their aging OS with something secure from the ground up. You might think fixing Android was the way to go, but it'd be a lot of work with something they wouldn't have much control of. In fact, they'd probably have had to fork it like Amazon and it'd still have a lack of Google Play services just like the Android runtime does on BB10. Regardless, that's not the way they went. If you think going with BB10 over Android was a bad idea, how can you even fathom thinking Tizen is not?
    03-04-15 01:11 PM
    If you think going with BB10 over Android was a bad idea, how can you even fathom thinking Tizen is not?
    Not sure if it is or not. But they would receive a lot of financial support from Samsung.
    03-04-15 01:16 PM
    Not sure if it is or not. But they would receive a lot of financial support from Samsung.
    That could be, but I don't think it'd fix any of their problems.
    03-04-15 01:19 PM
    Zoom in and look at it. There is no way in hell that phone is running bb10

Posted via CB10
    same had buttons as in Classic.
    03-04-15 01:57 PM
    For all we know that center bottom icon could be a keyboard icon to bring up the virtual keyboard. Or maybe even a touch lock for when you slide the screen to expose the physical keyboard.

It's pretty funny how crazy this thread is. It's only been announced not even detailed. This is a strategic release of information as it is the best time to announce something and keep people talking about BlackBerry.

Personally I would rather see a replacement for the Z30 than a slider but it's obvious that BlackBerry is going for shock value in the headlines. They seem to be going high risk with a low risk option with each of their hardware offerings.

Passport = high risk
    Classic = low risk

Slider = high risk (likely not Foxconn, specialized market)
    Leap = low risk (Foxconn, lower price point, average specs)

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 02:31 PM
235 ... 45678 ...