A passport running android was spotted on geekbench
    Attachment 338646
    Some time ago I already spotted Blackberrys running Android: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=983566
    It turned out not to be a wrong result of the android app, as it keeps on crashing and isn't able to submit results. I have no other explanations at the moment than a) BB is running Android on Blackberrys like Apple did with Intel CPUs while they were still selling PowerPC or b) BBs can somehow be rooted. If anybody else has a reasonable theory, please post in the linked thread.
    03-04-15 08:48 AM
    Some time ago I already spotted Blackberrys running Android: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=983566
    It turned out not to be a wrong result of the android app, as it keeps on crashing and isn't able to submit results. I have no other explanations at the moment than a) BB is running Android on Blackberrys like Apple did with Intel CPUs while they were still selling PowerPC or b) BBs can somehow be rooted. If anybody else has a reasonable theory, please post in the linked thread.
    I have this theory. The app is in the Android Runtime therefore considers the BlackBerry to be an Android.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 09:22 AM
    Just in time for the Holidays!

Sigh...

BlackBerry hates America!
    Your sig should say

...America Hates BlackBerry..

Posted from my Zed30 running 10.3.1.2267
    03-04-15 09:22 AM
    I have this theory. The app is in the Android Runtime therefore considers the BlackBerry to be an Android.
    There's two different processor classifications listed though.
    03-04-15 09:33 AM
    Pretend that your slab phone is a slider. You might put your thumb in the middle of the screen to slide it up but once you are done you hold it by the sides when you want to show it to people. You don't leave your thumb in the middle of the screen unless you are very awkward about the way that you display a smart phone. He doesn't hold the Leaps that way doing the same presentation.

He is either holding the two parts of the phone together for some reason or holding it open or he is actually holding some kind a screen overlay. My guess is that the slider mechanism moves on track but it doesn't lock open or closed yet.
    As shown by a number of pictures showing the motion of the presenter he had it closed and slid it open. Then the pic was snapped. He may have taken his finger off it later but who knows. This is not only the most reasonable explanation it is also the most logical. You're looking too much into it dude.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 09:40 AM
    As I stated I tried to run the apk version of geekbench and it doesn't work on BB10. Therefore it can't be responsible for the database entries.
    03-04-15 09:41 AM
    Are you being serious here? Are you really trying to sell the idea that they would go so far as this and not have these mock-ups at least have a functioning sliding mechanism?

You must have never used a 9800 or even better a 9810 because they don't "lock".

Hes always bitchin and moaning about something. Hes Mr Sunshine!!!!!
    03-04-15 09:43 AM
    As I stated I tried to run the apk version of geekbench and it doesn't work on BB10. Therefore it can't be responsible for the database entries.
    Someone can modify the .apk to work. Different versions could work while others may not

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 09:47 AM
    Jesus people, the phone was off and it came on when he opened it up, it's a live unit . Come on niw.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 09:51 AM
    Sharpened it.
    Attachment 338353

Posted via CB10
    It still looks like 10.3.1; nothing different. At the bottom you have phone, search, and camera icons just like the current OS.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 09:53 AM
    I believe they mentioned the fourth would have a physical keyboard, though I may be wrong. It'd certainly make sense though, seeing as Chen said a few months back that they had a Passport 2 in the pipeline.
    Well, the slider does have a physical KB and is it possible that the Passport 2 is the AT&T model?
    03-04-15 10:06 AM
    Someone can modify the .apk to work. Different versions could work while others may not

Posted via CB10
    I used exactly the same apk version one guy used to submit an entry. Regarding "apk modifications": I don't know whether this is possible but why should someone do this? It makes far less sense than the other explanations although I wouldn't rule it out completely.
    03-04-15 10:08 AM
    On 10.3.1, the bottom row with call-search-camera icons no longer has that dark box around it (like how it was in 10.2.1). In the pictures, it appears to have a dark box around it. The app grid icons don't have the dark boxes around them, so it's not 10.2.1 (not that they'd put an older OS on a new device anyway). So maybe this is an early 10.4 build. Or maybe it's just the lighting and poor images and it's nothing.
    03-04-15 10:40 AM
    All these people speculating it looking like Android; are you guys blind..?

It clearly looks like BlackBerry10 (very similar to Z30), but it also had the hardware phone call button at the bottom left and bottom right! The colouring and everything, it has to be hardware.. it doesn't look like Android at all.

Also, BlackBerry wouldn't plan on running Android on its own on BlackBerry hardware, that's been discussed in depth many time all over this forum and it's clear that Chen is using QNX base and keeping things secure for the enterprise. Android loses all of that because it goes right back to its Unix kernel, not the QNX kernel we use here with BlackBerry10.

Also based off some other threads and theories, I'd likely say it's a dummy unit that just has a single image with a backlight on it, no actual functionality... Possibly an early 10.4 build, possibly a custom build for while they're experimenting with it, but my guess is that they're just dummy units with a backlight :P

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    yessuz likes this.
    03-04-15 10:49 AM
    I used exactly the same apk version one guy used to submit an entry. Regarding "apk modifications": I don't know whether this is possible but why should someone do this? It makes far less sense than the other explanations although I wouldn't rule it out completely.
    Some Android apps don't work unless modified for BlackBerry 10.

Android modification is very possible and is probably what happened to get this app working

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 10:51 AM
    BlackBerry wouldn't plan on running Android on its own on BlackBerry hardware
    But they could run Tizen.
    03-04-15 10:53 AM
    Some Android apps don't work unless modified for BlackBerry 10.
    Yeah, but there's already an app available through BB world.
    a) Why modify another apk?
    b) Nobody proved that it is possible in this case. If you want to: try it

Android modification is very possible and is probably what happened to get this app working
    If you mean modification of the OS the device is running I agree.
    03-04-15 10:55 AM
    It seems to me that the most interesting thing about a slider is watching it being open and closed. If he walked on stage with both phones already open then the mechanism isn't working yet.
    Looks like the screen is the only thing that slides up.
    03-04-15 10:56 AM
    the real mystery is why every thinks it is running something other than BB10. It's running BB10.
    03-04-15 11:03 AM
    Yeah, but there's already an app available through BB world.
    a) Why modify another apk?
    b) Nobody proved that it is possible in this case. If you want to: try it

If you mean modification of the OS the device is running I agree.
    A) People modify multiple versions of the same app to get different results

B) Look around the Android section on here, there probably already is a modified apk.

And no. BlackBerry 10 OS modification like this isn't possible.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 11:06 AM
    No one thought to bring a decent camera to that event?

Crazy.

Liberal media conspiracy.

Posted via CB10
    Seriously this I mean it is an electronics convention...

Posted via CB10
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    03-04-15 11:08 AM
    A) People modify multiple versions of the same app to get different results

B) Look around the Android section on here, there probably already is a modified apk.
    You're the one trying to falsify my assumptions, so its up to you to do it.

And no. BlackBerry 10 OS modification like this isn't possible.
    Good to know that you're the guy who knows everything happening inside BB. Is there any other secret information you can share?
    03-04-15 11:11 AM
    You're the one trying to falsify my assumptions, so its up to you to do it.

Good to know that you're the guy who knows everything happening inside BB. Is there any other secret information you can share?
    You don't know much about BlackBerry 10, do you?..

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 11:12 AM
    You don't know much about BlackBerry 10, do you?..
    You don't know much about manufacturers abilities to load whatever Open Source OS they want onto their devices... do you?
    03-04-15 11:15 AM
    You don't know much about manufacturers abilities to load whatever Open Source OS they want onto their devices... do you?
    Yeah... Except they can't just load whatever they want, it's a little, well a lot more complicated than that

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 11:17 AM
235 ... 34567 ...