A Priv2 wannabe would sell to the slab crowd with great amoled display, better innerds, QI... PKB can be "ignored" and is there for the PKB aficionados
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 02-01-20 at 02:16 PM.
    02-01-20 01:20 PM
    A Priv2 wannabe would sell to the slab crowd with great smiled display, better innerds, QI... PKB can be "ignored" and is there for the PKB aficionados
    Nah. Plenty of slab options far better than any kickstarter projects for them.
    02-01-20 01:24 PM
    Nah. Plenty of slab options far better than any kickstarter projects for them.
    I’m waiting for the Z30 running Android and Z50 running Android crowd to show up.

Although, I believe they were called the DTEK and Motion technically.
    02-01-20 01:45 PM
    I’m waiting for the Z30 running Android and Z50 running Android crowd to show up.

Although, I believe they were called the DTEK and Motion technically.
    Did anyone buy those...??
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-01-20 02:14 PM
    Did anyone buy those...??
    More than recently introduced Titan and such
    02-01-20 02:16 PM
    More than recently introduced Titan and such
    The Titan is not yet marketed anywhere. It was solely a kickstarter...
    02-01-20 05:20 PM
    How much marketing have you seen for the Jelly and the Atom? These things are made in someone's basement.... Party tables and all!
    02-01-20 06:44 PM
    I don't know if UniHertz would have the chops to make a reliable slider but I would definitely be the first to back it if they ever chose to do so.

However I also doubt it because their first three devices were all rugged and with IP rating, which is almost impossible to achieve on a slider.
    02-01-20 07:06 PM
    Maybe you could consider buying them out and then you could get whatever phone you want built... How much cash do you have laying about? :-)
    I don't know if UniHertz would have the chops to make a reliable slider but I would definitely be the first to back it if they ever chose to do so.

However I also doubt it because their first three devices were all rugged and with IP rating, which is almost impossible to achieve on a slider.
    02-01-20 09:05 PM
    How much marketing have you seen for the Jelly and the Atom? These things are made in someone's basement.... Party tables and all!
    I've seen more marketing for Jelly and Atom than for most recent BlackBerry models...
    02-01-20 11:36 PM
    Maybe you could consider buying them out and then you could get whatever phone you want built... How much cash do you have laying about? :-)
    Doesn't need to be rugged or IP rated...
    02-01-20 11:37 PM
    Doesn't need to be rugged or IP rated...
    Did you buy that black edition Keyone?
    02-02-20 02:12 AM
    Did you buy that black edition Keyone?
    Nope, conite thought it might be a demo or a pre-release and might not be able to upgrade to Oreo
    02-02-20 02:55 AM
    Nope, conite thought it might be a demo or a pre-release and might not be able to upgrade to Oreo
    Don’t you have a BE KEYone already? If not, I echo his comment about getting a PRD ending in -039 since I can vouch for AT&T or T-Mobile optimal compatibility.
    02-02-20 08:04 AM
    Good old EBAY
    02-02-20 08:26 AM
    A Priv2 wannabe would sell to the slab crowd with great amoled display, better innerds, QI... PKB can be "ignored" and is there for the PKB aficionados
    The problematic construction of such a device is a nightmare compared to a slab or even a physical keyboard device. I could not believe Blackberry decided to try that considering the additional costs involved with design and assembly and defects.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    02-02-20 08:39 AM
    The problematic construction of such a device is a nightmare compared to a slab or even a physical keyboard device. I could not believe Blackberry decided to try that considering the additional costs involved with design and assembly and defects.

Somewhere, eons ago, in a CB thread far away, someone that appeared to have some inside BlackBerry knowledge, predicted the slider design was to demonstrate BBAndroid for PKB and VKB for any prospective licensees. Staying in hardware apparently wasn’t ever an objective regardless of whatever Chen stated unless some miracle happened.
    02-02-20 09:27 AM
    Somewhere, eons ago, in a CB thread far away, someone that appeared to have some inside BlackBerry knowledge, predicted the slider design was to demonstrate BBAndroid for PKB and VKB for any prospective licensees. Staying in hardware apparently wasn’t ever an objective regardless of whatever Chen stated unless some miracle happened.
    The video below shows just how much passion Chen had for the Priv

Enough said...
    elfabio80 and Mecca EL like this.
    02-02-20 09:43 AM

Well, it only launched for $100 more than the Red KEY2, and it's a far more complex device than the KEY2.

Now that BB Ltd has produced a slider, any company who wants to give that form factor a shot could largely base it on the Priv's internal mechanism, while making a few key changes to the design to make it look less obvious.

But, as the UniHertz Titan has shown us, at this point you can just make a blatant copy of a BlackBerry device and basically get away with it.
    TLSTWIN likes this.
    02-02-20 09:46 AM
    Well, it only launched for $100 more than the Red KEY2, and it's a far more complex device than the KEY2.

Now that BB Ltd has produced a slider, any company who wants to give that form factor a shot could largely base it on the Priv's internal mechanism, while making a few key changes to the design to make it look less obvious.

But, as the UniHertz Titan has shown us, at this point you can just make a blatant copy of a BlackBerry device and basically get away with it.
    They served legal notice using cease and desist letter. Now it’s simply a matter of legal enforcement and damages. The low sales may prove not even worth the effort on either side ever again.
    02-02-20 09:54 AM
    The video below shows just how much passion Chen had for the Priv

Enough said...
    I am wondering how much the engineers and the BB Ltd staff were laughing about this. What a clown this man! Lol!
    the_boon and bb9900user2018 like this.
    02-02-20 10:00 AM
    They served legal notice using cease and desist letter. Now it’s simply a matter of legal enforcement and damages. The low sales may prove not even worth the effort on either side ever again.
    Bottom line:

BlackBerry ltd doesn't care about the Titan, and if it makes a moderate profit for UniHertz, they could consider making another PKB device.
    Maybe based on another BB phone, maybe not.
    Either way, BB Ltd doesn't seem to be interested in going after tiny players like UniHertz unless they literally COPY something like the Classic as in take the same exact casing and designs and just slap Android on it, then they might care.
    But they seem to have realized that their design patents and PKB patents aren't really worth anything to anyone out there in 2020 so they might as well ignore it.

But hey, shooting down all our PKB dreams is a common thing in there.
    Last edited by the_boon; 02-02-20 at 11:03 AM.
    02-02-20 10:43 AM
    I am wondering how much the engineers and the BB Ltd staff were laughing about this. What a clown this man! Lol!
    All that effort into designing and building this masterpiece of a device, to waste by this awful "presentation".

Seriously, Lew from Unbox Therapy would have done it better.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    02-02-20 10:44 AM
    They raised funds partially through kickstarter. Why do you think they have the funds to venture out and design something much different than what they are offering?
    02-02-20 11:20 AM
    They raised funds partially through kickstarter. Why do you think they have the funds to venture out and design something much different than what they are offering?
    Yeah I think that it's quite a bit early for a tiny company like UniHertz to adventure themselves into a slider.

Let them master the solid state PKB first, learn from the Titan's shortcoming and then hopefully make a Classic / KEY style device down the road.

Since the Classic and KEY phones sold better than the Passport did, it's safe to say that UniHertz copies of those will have more success than the Titan which is a giant rugged version of an already too wide, unconventionally shaped phone in the first place.

My guess is that one of the guys at UniHertz is a huge die hard fan of the Passport.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    02-02-20 12:07 PM
47 12