Given that Apple revealed that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have an unprecedented 99% customer satisfaction rating yesterday, that they've sold 700,000,000 iPhones, and that 64-bit worked for them, why shouldn't BlackBerry hop on the bandwagon and try the same thing?

The only problem I see is that BB10 apps would have to be updated to take advantage of the 64-bit, and how many BB10 apps do you think will actually be updated? And on what time frame? We all know that most devs won't lift a finger for BB10, and that many devs who do code for BB10 are hobby-level, not advanced organisations. And even assuming they agreed to try to do it, could the BB10 developer community even get a mass app conversion to 64-bit accomplished? Hmmm, I've got my doubts...
    Lol yeah, not gonna happen... we'd be stuck in 32-bit emulation world forever.

The only way these types of specs would be justified would be to run the QNX hypervisor scheme managing both BB10 and Android (or why play around--full Windows 8.1/10).

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-10-15 10:45 AM
    Why are all the new phones going with the non removable battery? It's annoying to not have that battery pull option

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    03-10-15 02:12 PM
    No more one minute load times!!!!!
    Eff yeah!!

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    03-10-15 03:00 PM
    Why are all the new phones going with the non removable battery? It's annoying to not have that battery pull option

Posted via CB10
    I haven't had the need to do a reset on BlackBerry 10 essentially ever. Sorry your experience hasn't been as rewarding.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 08:59 PM
    My desktop computer is only a quad core, if this thing is an Oct, then it could very well replace my desktop for pretty much everything other then video encoding. Of course the cores could be split for Computation/Graphics but even still. Even the non removable battery is nothing that would concern me in the least.

If BlackBerry does in fact release this, even sub licensed to Samsung for production, I would have to say this would be a winner. I loved my 9800 and 9810, in fact my 9800 is charged and gets used rather a lot lately.
    03-10-15 10:14 PM
    64-bit can benefit the phone even without 4GB. Some code can execute better and will run faster from the architecture.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Not really... The execution of "the code" will be better or worse depending on the complexity of the architecture, not if 32 or 64bit, 64bit just allows to allocate more memory, 32bit is only up to 4gb....

Obviously, when you can are able to work with more than 4gb of ram, it allows you to make more complex CPU architectures that take advantage of more memory.
    03-10-15 11:57 PM
    64-bit can benefit the phone even without 4GB. Some code can execute better and will run faster from the architecture.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I was also under the impression that 64bit is more efficient and actually better for longer battery life.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 08:42 PM
    When does everyone think we can get more info about this beast?

I think the year end call coming up might be too soon, but maybe they will tease out a bit more.
    If it is the octa-core phone that was talked about early last year (or was it even late the year before), then it might actually have a chance to be released this year. The question is how far is BlackBerry along with 10.4.1 as I would imagine we would see the same pattern with a new phone being released with a new OS version.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 10:50 PM
    I was also under the impression that 64bit is more efficient and actually better for longer battery life.

Posted via CB10
    You're wrong the iPhone 6 plus battery is horrendous and the processor is the main cause for it.
    You guys really don't know much about processing architecture and their power needs eh?
    Comp engineering major here.

03-21-15 07:02 PM
    You're wrong the iPhone 6 plus battery is horrendous and the processor is the main cause for it.
    You guys really don't know much about processing architecture and their power needs eh?
    Comp engineering major here.

The iPhone 6 plus battery is actually very good. People are reporting it to be lasting longer than the passport battery

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-21-15 07:16 PM
    That looked very good but I doubt that is real. For one the battery capacity seems to be too big for a slider device. Battery needs room and the slider cuts room, unless the device is very thick, I don't see a device of that size can fit both in.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    03-27-15 08:04 AM
    A fair demand considering today's market demands.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 08:11 AM
    Would love for it to have the same style keyboard as the Passport. Excited for this phone!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    03-27-15 10:34 AM
    Now that the quiet period leading up to the earnings report is over, can we now have more details about this device, please? The screen resolution hasn't been mentioned by anyone, and while I'd settle for a 1280 x 720 screen, I'd really like BB to go 1920 x 1080, and hopefully support landscape mode better when using Miracast so hopefully there is better landscape support for the home screen on the horizon (the multiple Active Frame sizes in the Passport is, to me, an indication that they're moving BB10 to better support landscape orientation: why have two Active Frame sizes on the Passport and then NOT leverage that technology for reorienting the home screen in landscape mode?)
    03-27-15 11:17 AM
    Now that the quiet period leading up to the earnings report is over, can we now have more details about this device, please? The screen resolution hasn't been mentioned by anyone, and while I'd settle for a 1280 x 720 screen, I'd really like BB to go 1920 x 1080, and hopefully support landscape mode better when using Miracast so hopefully there is better landscape support for the home screen on the horizon (the multiple Active Frame sizes in the Passport is, to me, an indication that they're moving BB10 to better support landscape orientation: why have two Active Frame sizes on the Passport and then NOT leverage that technology for reorienting the home screen in landscape mode?)
    I am confident BlackBerry will go 1920 x 1080 with this device because that technology is about 2 years old now, ripened for BlackBerry to put in its flagship... the only thing I am not sure is, is this slider going to be the next flagship? Considering the Passport just came out last November. I have never seen BlackBerry renewing their flagship line within a year.

03-27-15 01:02 PM
    the only thing I am not sure is, is this slider going to be the next flagship? Considering the Passport just came out last November. I have never seen BlackBerry renewing their flagship line within a year.
    It seems to me that since the level of CPU like in the Passport, advances in mobile CPU technology is in the realm of "law of diminishing returns". I think the Passport is plenty fast (having the same chip (Snapdragon 801) that the HTC One M8 had, and if the above rumours are true, the slider will have the same chip (Snapdragon 810) as the HTC One M9, so I think these technologies have gone up in performance and come down in price enough that every device can be a "flagship" unless they're trying really hard to reach the downmarket customer with a device under $300.

Soon, it the CPU won't be a significant differentiator any more among devices that sell upwards of $400, and following hot on those heels will be screen resolution: soon it won't be worth the 'trouble' to have lower resolution devices unless you're really going down market.

...which means (sorry, Apple!) that the era of $800 smartphones is coming to an end soon. Devices with specs like the Galaxy S6 are going to be selling for $500 in a year, $300 the year after that.

(but, I'd be gladly proven wrong by a continuing trend towards "my mobile is the master" where your main device is your mobile, and you drop it into a docking station and work on it with a full keyboard / mouse where it's convenient, but then have everything with you on the go... I guess in that scenario, it can never be too powerful)
    eyesopen1111 and kfh227 like this.
    03-27-15 01:42 PM
    Chipsets are evolving to include a GPU and LTE integration to conserve power. Bring on the advanced chips

Z10
    03-27-15 02:15 PM
    It seems to me that since the level of CPU like in the Passport, advances in mobile CPU technology is in the realm of "law of diminishing returns". I think the Passport is plenty fast (having the same chip (Snapdragon 801) that the HTC One M8 had, and if the above rumours are true, the slider will have the same chip (Snapdragon 810) as the HTC One M9, so I think these technologies have gone up in performance and come down in price enough that every device can be a "flagship" unless they're trying really hard to reach the downmarket customer with a device under $300.

Soon, it the CPU won't be a significant differentiator any more among devices that sell upwards of $400, and following hot on those heels will be screen resolution: soon it won't be worth the 'trouble' to have lower resolution devices unless you're really going down market.

...which means (sorry, Apple!) that the era of $800 smartphones is coming to an end soon. Devices with specs like the Galaxy S6 are going to be selling for $500 in a year, $300 the year after that.

(but, I'd be gladly proven wrong by a continuing trend towards "my mobile is the master" where your main device is your mobile, and you drop it into a docking station and work on it with a full keyboard / mouse where it's convenient, but then have everything with you on the go... I guess in that scenario, it can never be too powerful)
    I loved this idea when the Ubuntu Edge was being funded, and I still love it. Ultra-powerful phones that dock in work stations sounds like a great idea.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-27-15 04:57 PM
    That is what Microsoft is after with Windows 10 and the new Intel Mobile chips. If you dock those, you would be able to run MS office on a big screen monitor. I think the days of a docking phone to peripherals is coming soon.
    kfh227 likes this.
    03-27-15 05:00 PM
    What you are saying is very true however in the consumer eyes more specs the better. That is what they are brainwashed to believe so BB has no choice but to use the latest specs ESPECIALLY if they want to carry over android users.
    I would call myself a practical consumer. I've had a curve and now Z10 for about a year and a half. Not usually an early adopter. I don't like paying premium prices. But when I buy a phone that is a year or more past release its nice to get decent specs for a good deal. My next device will probably be the Z30. It has decent specs. When I say specs though, I don't care about the processor. My z10 runs awesome. Tried some high graphics games, blew a buddies iPhone 4 out of the water. Camera and radio specs are more important to me. I hope blackberry keeps up with those things at least.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 11:39 PM

I agree in theory, but just look at the S6 Edge.
    1000$ for the 128GB version...

Apple?
    ASP near of 600$ for phones, best quarter ever, 90% of smartphone profits and no sign of that changing.
    Apple having placed themselves as a luxury/lifestyle manufacturer who provides good phones, very probably will help them to mostly ignore the market forces, that Samsung already feels and make them lose marketshare/ASP.

I however agree with the notion of diminishing returns.
    We are either already there, or on the best path to be there.
    There are still areas where a lot of progress can be made, like the GPU or battery tech.
    03-29-15 02:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's not needed with the volume rocker reset. BlackBerry 10 devices don't actually need battery pulls.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    03-29-15 06:29 AM
    I am confident BlackBerry will go 1920 x 1080 with this device because that technology is about 2 years old now, ripened for BlackBerry to put in its flagship... the only thing I am not sure is, is this slider going to be the next flagship? Considering the Passport just came out last November. I have never seen BlackBerry renewing their flagship line within a year.

Seeing that Blackberry now has a partnership with samsung, I would bet pretty strong that this screen will be the exact same screen that the Samsung S6 Edge has, they will just borrow it. So i bet it will be the 5.1-inch AMOLED display @ 1440 x 2560
    03-29-15 03:50 PM
    Seeing that Blackberry now has a partnership with samsung, I would bet pretty strong that this screen will be the exact same screen that the Samsung S6 Edge has, they will just borrow it. So i bet it will be the 5.1-inch AMOLED display @ 1440 x 2560
    Bbry will just convert one pixel into 4 and treat it as 720x1280.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 11:49 AM
    People seem too focused on Qualcomm (understandably). As soon as Samsung gets involved, have to look at Exynos.
    Logically speaking the Exynos is not optimized for BlackBerry 10. Qualcomms are

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 11:52 AM
94 1234