Hello all, sorry for the redundant post, as this is now in the Q&A area as well, but I can link the image here...so:

I've had ra Priv as a test device for work, and I no longer needed it, so I chose to put it up on eBay, and ended up selling it. So I wiped it, and shipped it.

He's received it now, and is saying that it's locked out, asking for a password to start Android. The screen looks like the Android pre-boot decryption screen to me, which is weird as even when I had it I never enabled that feature. I gave him all the passcodes I would have used on it, and had him try them to no avail. I also had him email me a screenshot, you can see here.

He's now at attempt 8/10, and worried it's going to render the phone totally useless if he hits 10/10, which I don't think it will. I thought it would just wipe it back to stock, and restart.

Does anyone here know anything about this? I read that this used to be an issue with the Q and Z10's, but was resolved by just rebooting them (holding down power for 15 seconds). I had him try that, again, to no avail.
    Resilience likes this.
    10-04-16 10:32 PM
    Maybe your company has special lock code since it was for work? Maybe talk to the IT department and ask?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-04-16 11:43 PM
    Sorry, should have clarified, I am the IT department, which is why I bought the phone. We were going to test out deploying the Priv to executives instead of iPhones. That didn't pan out so I ended up selling it. I can confirm though that we don't have an unlock code for devices.

Thanks for the feedback though, good call!
    10-05-16 10:00 AM
    I think you need to supply the password for the gmail account you used when you setup that Priv originally. once that is entered the phone should be in factory reset condition. This is the security built in to prevent stolen phone from being factory reset and reused. There are several threads around here on this. I am no expert so hopefully some of the more expert folks can chime in and help.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-05-16 10:11 AM
    Try the word "BlackBerry"
    martinjdub likes this.
    10-05-16 10:13 AM
    I think you need to supply the password for the gmail account you used when you setup that Priv originally. once that is entered the phone should be in factory reset condition. This is the security built in to prevent stolen phone from being factory reset and reused. There are several threads around here on this. I am no expert so hopefully some of the more expert folks can chime in and help.
    I had seen a thread on that, but the screen looked a bit different, may be worth a try if we run out of other options though. Thanks!

Try the word "BlackBerry"
    Good call. I'll have him give that a try, thanks!
    10-05-16 10:40 AM
    I forgot my password once and was locked out of my Priv after rebooting. After the tenth attempt, the phone wiped itself and worked normally.
    10-05-16 08:50 PM
    Agree.....rather then kept giving out your pwd. I would have him kept trying until the phone factory reset and wipe everything.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-05-16 09:24 PM
    I forgot my password once and was locked out of my Priv after rebooting. After the tenth attempt, the phone wiped itself and worked normally.
    Yeah, it should unlock after it wipes.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    HandOfReform likes this.
    10-05-16 09:30 PM
    Yeah, it should unlock after it wipes.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    I thought that was eliminated with the newest devices or OS. I forget what it is called but it is intended to prevent a thief from stealing the phone and then wiping it one way or the other and being able to use it. I think even on a wipe, it may still require entry of the original password or account info before you can RESET its new password??????

But I could be wrong.
    10-05-16 11:27 PM
    You are not wrong. It's called Factory Reset Protection (FRP). PRIV Factory Reset Protection Overview and FAQ | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    FF22 and HandOfReform like this.
    10-06-16 04:47 AM
    There are two separate issues.

If boot-time encryption is enabled then after 10 misses it will wipe.

If the phone was DEACTIVATED from its Google Account *before* it was sold then it will come up normally after that happens. If not it will demand the Google Account credentials it was registered with. So as long as you removed the Google Account *before* you sold it, if the boot time protection was left on he'll get a factory reset after the next two misses and all will be well -- otherwise you'll have to give him the Google Account credentials he needs to set it back up (and then change the password immediately, of course!)
    10-06-16 08:26 AM

If the phone was DEACTIVATED from its Google Account *before* it was sold then it will come up normally after that happens. If not it will demand the Google Account credentials it was registered with. So as long as you removed the Google Account *before* you sold it, if the boot time protection was left on he'll get a factory reset after the next two misses and all will be well -- otherwise you'll have to give him the Google Account credentials he needs to set it back up (and then change the password immediately, of course!)
    That is what I had thought. I don't mind if my Google account still has it locked up, I know the credentials to that at least, it's just going to be tricky to coordinate with the guy because I've got 2FA enabled on it. That's still better than the scenario right now though, where I don't even know the passcode/password it's wanting.

Thank you everyone! I think my solution is going to be to have him try BlackBerry and another random one, if neither works it'll reset and we'll see where we are after that!
    10-06-16 09:27 AM
    Exactly like he said, happened to me and was locked out for 24 hours and I still needed to provide my google id and password. I changed my password during the lockout period and I was locked out again for changing it. Once the lockout period was done, I was able to sign in with my google id and new password.

10-06-16 11:24 AM