For OTA updates, you would still need a SIM from a carrier that sells this phone, right?
    The -3 is also for Aisa, so it is available factory unlocked, and would not need a carrier SIM, if it's really factory unlocked.

And I thought a Canadian carrier unlocked, did not require an original carrier SIM. All you had to do was wait for the original carrier to release, and you got it, reguardless of SIM.
    Is that incorrect?
    07-16-16 09:46 PM
    The -3 is also for Aisa, so it is available factory unlocked, and would not need a carrier SIM, if it's really factory unlocked.
    Sorry--I should have been clearer. I was asking about branded phones.

And I thought a Canadian carrier unlocked, did not require an original carrier SIM. All you had to do was wait for the original carrier to release, and you got it, reguardless of SIM.
    Is that incorrect?
    I'm not sure. Would this update be instantly available and not require you to take out the non-original SIM?
    07-16-16 10:39 PM
    Sorry--I should have been clearer. I was asking about branded phones.

I'm not sure. Would this update be instantly available and not require you to take out the non-original SIM?
    I'm interested in this too? I just ordered a Priv on Rogers for $300 on contract. I would find it hard to pay $900 to shopBB just so I might get a little faster update or help the future sale of the device.
    07-16-16 10:58 PM
    I'm interested in this too? I just ordered a Priv on Rogers for $300 on contract. I would find it hard to pay $900 to shopBB just so I might get a little faster update or help the future sale of the device.
    Canadian carriers have been pretty good about updates, so far. I'm not sure where they stand historically. If you are going to stay with same Canadian carrier, I see no reason to pay a whole lot more. A $200 difference over the life of the phone may be justified, but I wouldn't pay 4 or 5 hundred more.

I had made some comments about N American carrier brand Priv's needing the original carriers SIM for updates, and was corrected. Couple people said it was only US carrier devices. Could be they were referring to how things used to be, not aware that things had changed. I honestly don't know.
    Almost all of the discussion has concerned AT&T, (and a few of other US brands) being used in other countries.
    Bell, Telus and Eastlink Canada devices were all getting the Marshmallow update on the same day back in May. But those posters didn't bother to specify if they were on Factory unlocked, or carrier phones - so not much help.

Any Canadians with carrier unlocked devices wanna set us straight?
    You may want to start another thread, as this one has been primarily about Mexico. Be careful how you word the thread title, or you may get all kinds of reply's that don't help.
    07-17-16 07:56 AM
    Wezard, as I'm sure you are aware, those of us on Verizon canNOT get "factory" unlocked Priv's or (Passports - not at all, or fill in the blanks for other models). ShopBB does not sell Verizon models of any BB phones. But Verizon BB phones for a number of models back (don't recall how far back) are UNlocked and can be used with what I'll call "foreign" sim cards and gsm networks. So, if I go to Europe (not sure of Asian or South American or Antarctica (g)) I can either keep using my Verizon Priv (and before that the Z30) with its included Verizon sim card or I can acquire a local sim card and use that (and get a new phone number).

I believe I can also use my Verizon Priv in Canada (I have not been there with it) but could use my Z30 with no change of sim card so expect that the Priv will work similarly.

I will leave it to others to say whether a Verizon model will work with AT&T, etc sim cards.
    07-17-16 09:24 AM
    I will leave it to others to say whether a Verizon model will work with AT&T, etc sim cards.
    Yes.

And re: Canadian -3s, thanks to universal autoloaders it isn't a completely dead end road. So best case: the update gets pushed on origin-based availability not presence/absence of SIM, worst case: autoloader.
    07-17-16 09:56 AM
    Have you made sure this isn't a Canadian carrier's unlocked phone?
    I would hope so, according to the description and communication I've had with the Seller. Actually, STV100-3 is also the same model "officially" being sold by Amazon Mexico (https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/aw/d/B0...lackBerry+priv), so perhaps the one I've ordered is such.

I'll let you all know once it's here.

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    07-17-16 02:38 PM
    Yeah as the STV 3 is the one which is sold in Canada through their carrier partners but well, as far as we all know, all major Canadian carriers are so proactive in releasing updates for the PRIV so it's an even anyway..

Unless OP, if you're looking for the wireless charging then the STV 3 is not the right phone..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Not a deal breaker, I don't even own a wireless charger. I'm more concerned about the "factory unlocked" status. As mentioned, the STV100-3 model is also the one "officially" sold by Amazon Mexico.

yvpan1 likes this.
    07-17-16 02:41 PM
    I would hope so, according to the description and communication I've had with the Seller. Actually, STV100-3 is also the same model "officially" being sold by Amazon Mexico (https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/aw/d/B0...lackBerry+priv), so perhaps the one I've ordered is such.

I'll let you all know once it's here.
    An AT&T Priv is also the same model as the one officially sold by Amazon.com...see where I'm going? So what has the seller actually said?
    07-17-16 04:52 PM
    An AT&T Priv is also the same model as the one officially sold by Amazon.com...see where I'm going? So what has the seller actually said?
    I do and share a bit of the concern as well. As Wezard quoted, the ad emphasises that it's a factory unlocked device and not an AT&T model; furthermore, it mentions getting updates directly from BlackBerry. When I inquired with the seller, he reiterated such facts and even told me he also offers the AT&T version for cheaper.

MercadoLibre works in a similar manner to eBay, so there are customer protection measures, which give me certain confidence I can dispute the purchase in case the device doesn't meet the advertised conditions.

We can't be completely sure until it arrives though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will keep you all updated.

Last edited by JG_Agustin; 07-17-16 at 07:18 PM.
    raino and FF22 like this.
    07-17-16 07:07 PM
    Just a question. If I was already on BlackBerry Beta programme and now buy AT & T model, will I get the updates through BlackBerry or I'm stuck.

Was there a separate way to get into the AT & T beta zone programme?

Posted via Note 5
    07-17-16 08:18 PM
    Wezard, as I'm sure you are aware
    The question was, if someone gets an unlocked Rogers Priv, and is using it on Telus. When Rogers releases an update, does this person get the update, without having to put in a Rogers SIM, (or use autoloader)?
    The whole question was about updates, not if we could use other SIM's or use the phone internationally.

I was lead to believe that a SIM from the original carrier was not required to get that carriers update with the Canadian carriers. (leaving autoloaders out of the equation)
    07-17-16 10:11 PM
    UPDATE: The phone arrived this morning, a day before I expected it and even earlier than when DHL usually delivers. I'm glad to inform that it is indeed a factory unlocked device, it came in the black box, fully sealed. The PRIV updated to MM and the July security patch OTA. It is an STV100-3 North American model made in Mexico. I'm attaching some pics.

Does anyone know if the number "210116" on the third image indicates the manufacturing date?

Sold my AT&T Priv, as a consequence of the "unlocked fiasco"-img_20160718_135324.jpg
    Sold my AT&T Priv, as a consequence of the "unlocked fiasco"-img_20160718_134613.jpg
    Sold my AT&T Priv, as a consequence of the "unlocked fiasco"-img_20160718_135510.jpg

FF22 likes this.
    07-18-16 02:02 PM
    Does anyone know if the number "210116" on the third image indicates the manufacturing date?
    It's either build date or boxing date, boxing date seems to be the general consensus. But still valid for comparison purposes.

Yay for you!

Oddly, the build # AAD027 is from Dec 2015, or maybe not, as the date code is Jan 2016 and sometime in Jan is when the next build was released.
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    07-18-16 02:25 PM
    It's either build date or boxing date, boxing date seems to be the general consensus. But still valid for comparison purposes.

Yay for you!

Oddly, the build # AAD027 is from Dec 2015, or maybe not, as the date code is Jan 2016 and sometime in Jan is when the next build was released.
    Thanks for the input, buddy!

The device is quite nice, I've set it up and my first impression is that MM improved it. Regarding build quality, It feels a bit sturdier than the AT&T PRIV and battery wise, it's better than on Lollipop; will see how it does in real everyday routine. I also like that it now asks to grant or deny permissions for installed apps and also the password+image combo like on BB10.

The Hub is still not on par with BB10, but it does the job for email and BBM and feels a tiny faster than on Lollipop. The integration with Facebook and WhatsApp is still lacking, but hopefully will improve over time. I still find myself swiping to the right to try to get to the Hub, so I'll have to get used to the change.

What I'm happy about is not having to deal with updating with autoloaders or going through hoops. I think that if you can afford it, it's worth the extra bucks. I'm keeping my Passport as a backup-phablet device, but feel much more open to the PRIV and Android with the MM additions.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 02:34 PM
    T-Mobile (locked to T-Mobile) are available on Ebay They are $315.. I got one - booted up- and immediately loaded Marshmallow - Being Sold by Serbinio
    Best

Blackberry Priv STV100 1 32GB Black 4G LTE T Mobile Smartphone Clean IMEI | eBay
    07-19-16 03:26 PM
    T-Mobile (locked to T-Mobile) are available on Ebay They are $315.. I got one - booted up- and immediately loaded Marshmallow - Being Sold by Serbinio
    Best

Blackberry Priv STV100 1 32GB Black 4G LTE T Mobile Smartphone Clean IMEI | eBay
    Locked and used. I'd be careful if these were on a payment plan (EIP.) All it takes is one missed payment for the phone to get blocked.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    07-19-16 03:45 PM
    The integration with Facebook and WhatsApp is still lacking
    Face Book and WhatsApp are two of the known worst battery eaters. I don't use WhatsApp myself. I do use FB.
    But no way do I want all the stuff that comes from it showing on my Hub. So all notifications are off, I further went through and turned off almost everything I could find, and put permissions to bare bones. It now does everything I want it to do when I open it, but does nothing when I'm not using it. The only thing that is problematic is 'Check In'. Since I very rarely want to broadcast to half the world where I'm at, it's not really an issue for me to have to turn location on momentarily on the few occasions that I do.

Theres some talk on another thread saying the keyboards on later dated devices have a tactile click feeling when a key is pressed, more like the passport or classic. You notice any difference?
    07-20-16 08:57 AM
    Face Book and WhatsApp are two of the known worst battery eaters. I don't use WhatsApp myself. I do use FB.
    But no way do I want all the stuff that comes from it showing on my Hub. So all notifications are off, I further went through and turned off almost everything I could find, and put permissions to bare bones. It now does everything I want it to do when I open it, but does nothing when I'm not using it. The only thing that is problematic is 'Check In'. Since I very rarely want to broadcast to half the world where I'm at, it's not really an issue for me to have to turn location on momentarily on the few occasions that I do.

Theres some talk on another thread saying the keyboards on later dated devices have a tactile click feeling when a key is pressed, more like the passport or classic. You notice any difference?
    I don't use Facebook as heavily as a couple of years ago, but do enjoy the integration it had with BB10. WhatsApp is rather a necessity these days and again, BB10 had some great integration. It's not really a deal breaker, but rather that I got spoiled by BB10.

Regarding the physical keyboard, I notice only a slightly better experience, not on par with the feedback on the Passport or Q10 though (I've only tried the Classic very little). It's not near as clicky as my Passport's keyboard, but it is better than the AT&T device I previously owned. I actually find myself typing much faster than on the AT&T model.

Overall though, I'm glad to have the pkb. As good as the vkb is on the PRIV, sometimes I get fed up of typing on glass and just slide up the pkb. For emails, long messages and precision, there's nothing like the pkb.

Just one last note on battery: Wow, MM really boosted up the device!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android with my  PRIV by BlackBerry.
    07-20-16 09:17 PM
    Just to update anyone interested, the seller I've mentioned is currently out of stock on factory unlocked PRIVs, so he's currently offering the unlocked AT&T version. He does have it for cheaper on the same ad but at least dully states it, so buyer beware.

Posted with my mighty  PRIV by BlackBerry.
    08-03-16 10:41 AM
    Just to update anyone interested, the seller I've mentioned is currently out of stock on factory unlocked PRIVs, so he's currently offering the unlocked AT&T version. He does have it for cheaper on the same ad but at least dully states it, so buyer beware.
    Any idea if the seller actually knows the difference (vis a vis updates) between an AT&T Priv and a factory unlocked Priv? Did you, for example, educate them about it or are they just being honest (like they're supposed to) and maybe approaching this traditionally i.e. "this is a carrier unlocked phone, so there may be carrier branding and bloatware on it" type of thinking?

Edit: forgot that Mexico actually gets the -3, not the -1. Still, the original question stands: does the seller know about the significance of AT&T/TMO Privs vs. factory unlocked Privs?
    08-03-16 03:17 PM
    Any idea if the seller actually knows the difference (vis a vis updates) between an AT&T Priv and a factory unlocked Priv? Did you, for example, educate them about it or are they just being honest (like they're supposed to) and maybe approaching this traditionally i.e. "this is a carrier unlocked phone, so there may be carrier branding and bloatware on it" type of thinking?

Edit: forgot that Mexico actually gets the -3, not the -1. Still, the original question stands: does the seller know about the significance of AT&T/TMO Privs vs. factory unlocked Privs?
    I think he does, as the older ad used to state the fact that the factory unlocked device gets updates straight from BlackBerry.

In the current one he mentions it is an AT&T branded device. The price has been lowered and if you follow the questions down below (in Spanish) there's a lot of useful information for potential buyers, including the updating issue.

I don't like however that he has used the same ad and just updated the info, as many could potentially be led to believe it is the factory unlocked device, specially if they don't take the time to check the description or go through the questions thoroughly.

Posted with my mighty  PRIV by BlackBerry.
    raino likes this.
    08-04-16 12:11 PM
72 123