I see. Well good thing I bought the Priv and Dtek50 lol. BlackBerry 10 is still by far the best os in my opinion, so smooth.
    It's easy to be smooth, when you can't add anything to it.
    Wezard likes this.
    05-15-17 10:03 PM
    Yeah, there's a kill switch in every Android and once they stop being updated they stop working altogether. Many also explode at that point.

Seriously, though, guys, be real... In another thread you're considering an iPhone SE, which is IMO one of the most overpriced phones available with design and screen from 2012, but ok, it's a great (if not the only) option for people who prefer very small form factors.
    My point is that in iOS nothing changed in years except for the iOS number, even the icons and that launcher are exactly the same mess, the phone app has no smart dialling, if you want a custom ringtone you need to take a day off work because it takes hours to do it, you can't change a default app such as the email or browser, transferring music is a pain as there's no file management. FLAC support? What's that? If you want your beautiful lossless music collection to be transferred to the iPhone, you first have to recode everything. Because Apple. If you want to share e.g. a PDF document with someone you can't just tap attach in WhatsApp, email or whatever, you have to go to the homescreen, open Adobe Reader, open the document, then tap share, then select the app. 5-step processes everywhere where Android takes one. You want to share more than one image at once in an email? Ok, but you have to do it by first entering the Gallery app, then share to Mail. Wanted to share 12 images at once? No go, if you select more than 5, the Mail option when sharing disappears. You can share 5 that way, Mail opens with those and then you go on selectin one by one 7 times. Want Safari to open desktop sites by default? Won't happen, you can just open the mobile ones, once it opens, tap-and-hold the refresh button, then you can load the desktop version.

The simplest things are missing, battery stats is an abomination of an app, there's no monthly stats for data usage, if you want to know how much traffic you're spending monthly as to change your data plan accordingly, you need to go to the screen that shows consumption by apps, and MANUALLY write it down somewhere, reset, and remember to check back next month. Utterly rediculous. Have a contact you'd like to call using a shortcut so you can just tap it from the homescreen in an instant? Wife or your kids? Naah, you don't need that, why do something in one step when you can do it in four?
    Switching between Vibrate and Silent on Android? Touch of the volume button. On iOS? Go into Settings, Notifications or whatever, find the settings, then change it there. When your alarm rings in the morning after 30 seconds or so the godforsaken iPhone turns off the display and keeps ringing! So it's screaming and you can't find it to turn it off until you turn on the light in the room. Whose dumb idea that was, I've no clue. I was close to smashing it into the first wall every morning because of this. Like it was programmed by a 5-year-old.
    Want to change the default auto-brightness behaviour so your iPhone doesn't blind you when you enter your house? Of course you can't! On iOS the developers aren't allowed to use the ambient light sensor. Because Apple. Clearing app data to try and troubleshoot a problem with a misbehaving app? Won't happen, you have to uninstall it and reinstall it then. No one-step solutions there. Want to use Dropbox or Google Drive so they upload things in the background? Yeah, right, like Apple would allow that. Even those apps must use rediculous workarounds like watching your location so if you're on the move once in a while they can upload a bit of data. If you're stationary, it won't happen. Makes zero sense, yeah, like iOS in general.

And yet you're laughing at an Android for not being updated, despite the fact that all of this was possible in Android 1 and it isn't in iOS 10. Once iOS reaches Android feature-, usability-wise, then we can talk about how iPhones get updates for years. Till then, it's just an irrelevant number and catching-up on iOS side.

I could write quite a lot more, but let's stop here...
    Some will probably say I'm a hater, but that OS is seriously unusable (for me) for anything but the simplest things. Everything takes 5 steps where it should just be one, everything is so closed down and limiting... If only it was for a reason, if it was more stable I'd understand. The only advantage it has to Android is that there are generally fewer micro-stutters throughout the UI. App and system crashes are nowadays actually more frequent on iPhones than on Androids, both in my experience and according to research:
    Study finds that iPhone performance is far less reliable than Android – BGR

Sure, Android has its own couple of shortcomings, but nothing can frustrate me as much as iOS and its idiocy.
    Wow you just destroyed any idea of me ever switching to Apple. I have an iPad that I use for entertainment but with all the stuff you mentioned, I could never use an iPhone as my main source of communication. I have a Priv but I still think bb10 is the best when it comes to addressing the "common sense" everyday use factors.
    05-15-17 10:06 PM
    My personal preference...

Warning - NSFW!!!
    Thanks. I was immediately laughing. Comparing a joint to a part of his anatomy!!!!!!!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-15-17 10:42 PM
    From launch, for example, the G4 was 490£ in UK, and Priv was 530£... When the Priv launched in Europe (November), I can't tell you exactly how much the G4 was, but can't be much more than 400£.
    So, a 40£ difference warrants "MUCH CHEAPER OMGZOR PRIV SO INSANELY OVERPRICED"?
    Technically, OLEDs cost more than LCDs, so it could easily be 40£ more for the screen, especially as LG's is probably made in-house. Priv was obviously in fact a relatively cheap phone.

Wow you just destroyed any idea of me ever switching to Apple. I have an iPad that I use for entertainment but with all the stuff you mentioned, I could never use an iPhone as my main source of communication. I have a Priv but I still think bb10 is the best when it comes to addressing the "common sense" everyday use factors.
    Well, that's just my opinion. Given their sales figures, apparently a lot of people are perfectly content with all of that.
    To me, just how poorly iOS manages notifications is enough to avoid iPhone as a communication device at all costs. No LED, no notification icons in the upper left corner (apparently their developers believe people might forget who their carrier is if it's not written on the screen at all times), the fact that ALL unread and read notifications disappear from lockscreen once you unlock the phone, the fact that alarm volume is tied to ringer volume so if you want the alarm to be loud in order to hear it and you have to MANUALLY change your volume before going to bed every single day... And fun fact, once the alarm rings, if the screen isn't off lol, the "turn off" button is so ridiculously small that every morning I'd tap the screen 20 times like a complete fool to finally hit it. Enough ranting, sorry...
    Anyway, why have that "fluidity" and benchmark scores become such a big deal to reviewers and, apparently, the majority of users, and problems with such trivial things are being totally overlooked, I don't know... Maybe I'm just too demanding.
    05-16-17 06:12 AM
    You gotta understand that some users are under TCL payroll! Real BlackBerry fans aren't afraid to bash BlackBerry!
    Wow, last year they were on Google's payroll!

Dagnabbit Conite, what do I need to do to get paid for trolling Crackberry like you do?? I want a new car!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-16-17 07:36 AM

Dagnabbit Conite, what do I need to do to get paid for trolling Crackberry like you do?? I want a new car!
    You'll have to speak up. The top is down in my Ferrari.
    BigBadWulf, Mirko935 and Jrox74 like this.
    05-16-17 07:48 AM
    You'll have to speak up. The top is down in my Ferrari.
    Talk about confusing. Speak Up, Top Down. In which direction is this reply going?
    05-16-17 09:09 AM
    Kudos! They don't have it yet, and it wouldn't shock me for BlackBerry to come out of nowhere, and push it first.

No, but I am repeating myself. LoL
    Again, do you want it just because, or believe it will resolve issues the Priv has?

No, because people buy BlackBerries for security. Even if that wasn't their primary concern, they still bought a BlackBerry.

Y'all keep arguing. This is another prime thread example of words and panties getting twisted, whilst there is no prime objective, but to stomp one's feet.
    Rubish!
    People that used to buy blackberry when blackberry was HOT, are all now using Androids and iphones, so no, most people don't give a crap about security.

They bought because they liked it, it was a good comunication device at the time.

It's hard to believe you are a Moderator at a Blackberry forum. Seems that you have no clue about blackberry history when it comes to updates. If blackberry came out of nowere and launched 7.0, it would have been a worlds first... Normally it's all tease, and they come late, or don't come at all (playbook cof cof)
    Gl4cier likes this.
    05-16-17 02:31 PM

Hey Conite is not a mod. He is loyal BlackBerry fan just like you.
    05-16-17 04:01 PM
    Rubish!
    People that used to buy blackberry when blackberry was HOT, are all now using Androids and iphones, so no, most people don't give a crap about security.

They bought because they liked it, it was a good comunication device at the time.

It's hard to believe you are a Moderator at a Blackberry forum. Seems that you have no clue about blackberry history when it comes to updates. If blackberry came out of nowere and launched 7.0, it would have been a worlds first... Normally it's all tease, and they come late, or don't come at all (playbook cof cof)
    No reason to attack and disparage the knowledge of another. Just state your viewpoint and others will agree or disagree.

I do not disagree with you that many people do not ever consider security when it comes to their phones. And some have paid the price. BlackBerry fell behind for a number of reasons, and surprisingly security is part of the reason. My understanding is the BBOS and BB10 was not easy for developers just because of the emphasis on security. But there were other reasons as well.

But history may prove that rather than lagging, blackBerry was actually ahead of all the others as security becomes even more relevant.

I am willing to wait for Nougat on my Priv. I am fine with an up to date secured device. When lackBerry releases Nougat, I know that many of the bugs early adopters are having will be fixed. Not all, most likely because technology is fluid in that one my fix one bug only to cause another. Such is the complicated world of OS and our devices.

If Nougat doesn't come, it may push me to upgrade to another phone earlier than I am presently planning. But then again, maybe not. And I don't buy a device for what it may become, I buy for what it can do and how that fits my needs. And the Priv fits my needs.
    05-16-17 04:09 PM
    So, a 40£ difference warrants "MUCH CHEAPER OMGZOR PRIV SO INSANELY OVERPRICED"?
    Technically, OLEDs cost more than LCDs, so it could easily be 40£ more for the screen, especially as LG's is probably made in-house. Priv was obviously in fact a relatively cheap phone.

Well, that's just my opinion. Given their sales figures, apparently a lot of people are perfectly content with all of that.
    To me, just how poorly iOS manages notifications is enough to avoid iPhone as a communication device at all costs. No LED, no notification icons in the upper left corner (apparently their developers believe people might forget who their carrier is if it's not written on the screen at all times), the fact that ALL unread and read notifications disappear from lockscreen once you unlock the phone, the fact that alarm volume is tied to ringer volume so if you want the alarm to be loud in order to hear it and you have to MANUALLY change your volume before going to bed every single day... And fun fact, once the alarm rings, if the screen isn't off lol, the "turn off" button is so ridiculously small that every morning I'd tap the screen 20 times like a complete fool to finally hit it. Enough ranting, sorry...
    Anyway, why have that "fluidity" and benchmark scores become such a big deal to reviewers and, apparently, the majority of users, and problems with such trivial things are being totally overlooked, I don't know... Maybe I'm just too demanding.
    Wow, interesting. I guess to each his own. I was (and still am) an ios user. When I got myself a priv, I planned on using it as my main. But somehow after a month of usage I switched back to ios. I still have my priv as my secondary.
    There are some features I like on the ios, small things like double tapping the top of the phone to go to the top of the page. Or precise scrubbing on videos. I was never an android fan as I find it a little messy and confusing sometimes. Like downloading photos doesn't go to my gallery, it goes somewhere else.

I don't use the features you mentioned. Don't get me wrong please, not arguing with you or anything like that. I'm just stating what I have just realised, which is that these phones cater to different people.
    05-16-17 07:59 PM
    Is it harder, than believing someone would take one statement, and extrapolate from it that a member with my history, would have complete ignorance of BlackBerry's record? I pray this is just a language barrier, and English isn't your first language. You brought to point exactly what I said...
    This is another prime thread example of words and panties getting twisted, whilst there is no prime objective, but to stomp one's feet.
    BlackBerry cannot do anything to surprise me anymore. Two examples to illustrate my point. The Z10 was by far the highest volume of BB10 phone sales, yet, when they developed the Z50, a phone they could easily have made, they scrapped it and chose only to make it's brother, the Passport. Example #2 - BlackBerry, the "software company", took its flagship app, BBM, and split it, handing the consumer portion to another company for continued development. Would it surprise me the Priv got Nougat before others on the list? No! Would it surprise me the Priv never got Nougat, and the DTEK50 did instead? Again I say no.

Possibly, but Android and iOS are being used safely in more high security environments than BlackBerry right now. Many who use those platforms as personal devices are also security conscious, and manage their risks intelligently, just as you have to on a BlackBerry.

I don't know if anyone has the numbers, but I'd wager the vast overwhelming percentage of Priv owners came from BB10 or BBOS.

Chill, and don't just jump to conclusions. Questions are always better than assumptions. You know what they say about assuming...
    PHughes likes this.
    05-16-17 08:29 PM
    Wow, interesting. I guess to each his own. I was (and still am) an ios user. When I got myself a priv, I planned on using it as my main. But somehow after a month of usage I switched back to ios. I still have my priv as my secondary.
    Sure, to each his own. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who'd instantly assume things about someone based on their phones. Like some think that only poor people use Android or how some others think only idiots use iPhones.
    There are some features I like on the ios (...)
    I like some things about iOS too, that "Go back to previous app button" is sometimes more useful than Android's back button which does whatever the app's developer wants it to (though 95% of the time it's great), though the button's placement in iOS is really idiotic and necessitates the use of the other hand when holding a phone. The search on iOS is vastly superior to any search on Android, probably due to more "standardization" so it actually searches through all apps (e.g. search on Android can't search through WhatsApp messages). I like the idea of Handoff, Continuity and all that, although I don't have a Mac so I've never really seen it in action. As incomprehensible some things about iOS are to me, that much I can't understand how is it possible that Google or AOSP or whoever never bothered to make a proper PC software to connect to Android phones.
    System backups are also superior on iOS and Android only relatively recently introduced Google Drive backups. And they still very much depend on developers and I'm not entirely confident if I'd be able to restore my apps' data if I were to buy a new phone. With iOS, you buy a new iPhone, restore and everything's exactly the same. As was also possible with rooted Androids since its inception, but god forbid any of those big companies try and learn something from those folks...
    I was never an android fan as I find it a little messy and confusing sometimes. Like downloading photos doesn't go to my gallery, it goes somewhere else.
    Yeah, I feel the same about iOS... I think that having all photos in the same place regardless of their origin is in fact messy, a I like that on Android they each go to their own place. Obviously just a personal preference. Though, objectively speaking, you can view all photos easily on Android (with a proper gallery app like Piktures (with a K), not sure about that Google Photos abomination).
    I'm just stating what I have just realised, which is that these phones cater to different people.
    Of course, and that's perfectly fine by me.

One other thing I wanted to say is that the biggest gripe I have with both Apple and Google is that they obviously purposefully aren't doing anything anymore. We have a 5-page argument here over what? The incredibly new astonishingly beautiful Nougat, which brings one new feature to the table, the split-screen multitasking, which by the way, Samsung has had for years, since Galaxy S3 if I'm not mistaken. Give me a break, they could have done it 5 years ago too. And the argument from the other side is how Apple's giving you incredible 5 year support. Yeah, they do, with alleged updates which bring zero new features. I remember when iOS 5 or 6 was introduced, and one of the new features listed were 2 new wallpapers. Wallpapers as a new OS feature? Great, incredible, magical...

So, instead of Android fixing the fact that any app can do whatever the hell it wants in the background and battery drains being one of the most discussed things about it for years now, they're listing "quick app switching" as a feature. Yay, two lines of code telling the phone to bring the previous app into focus when double-tapping the app switch button. I'm sure that took half a year of development... Just like the new iOS feature of being able to disable preinstalled apps. Wow, magical! But you can't choose another app as default so if you disable Mail and install e.g. GMail, when you tap on an e-mail address the stupid phone will ask you to download Mail again instead of passing that link to the GMail app. Because that would require yet another two lines of code for which one year of development obviously wasn't enough.
    And both of them list new goddamn emojis as one of the most significant new OS features. Utterly ridiculous.

Same is, in fact, the state of smartphone industry in general. BB is the only one that is trying to do at least one thing different to the others, with the capacitive keyboards and all that. Think about it, so much talk about which phone today has a better camera, better low-light performance, and my 10 year old Sony Ericsson K800 made better low-light photos than any Pixel, iPhone or S8 because it had a goddamn 18th century invention called a Xenon flash. Put a damn Xenon flash on the phone and it will undoubtedly have great low-light photos. But no, 4 mm thickness is a far more useful feature than that. Definitely... Btw, that phone had a proper shutter button that would focus when half-pressed and capture upon full press. Why can't we have that today and instead we have to fight our way with both hands to touch the screen to focus and capture with the stupid onscreen shutter button, I really don't know. Probably so that Apple, Google, Samsung or whoever can introduce the shutter button as an exciting unbelievable new feature sometime in 2022.

Truth be told, that KitKat phone I mentioned earlier could still work as a charm (had it not fallen to the ground one too many times and now it loses contact somewhere so it shuts down on its own), I could do the same things on it the same way I'm doing them on MM or Nougat, in pretty much the same time. It even installs apps faster than Priv on Marshmallow because of whatever godforsaken bug Google made and never fixed regarding installations on MM.

So, when I say that I care little about getting that Nougat update, it's not because I'm apologetic of BlackBerry (is that the right expression? :/), it's because it's such a miniscule step forward that it's not worth wasting more than two sentences on it.

/rant mode off
    Last edited by Mirko935; 05-17-17 at 05:09 AM.
    05-17-17 04:46 AM
    It's easy to be smooth, when you can't add anything to it.
    I run any app that I have on my Priv.
    05-17-17 06:38 AM
    I run any app that I have on my Priv.
    You, but not me or many others. Even those that do run, don't always open correctly, take an enormous amount of time to load, and often are missing features and/or require patching to install. Besides...
    it was just a joke
    05-17-17 07:24 AM
    I see. Well good thing I bought the Priv and Dtek50 lol. BlackBerry 10 is still by far the best os in my opinion, so smooth.
    How so? I only use it for one App.... CrackBerry and right now it's dead in the water. My BlackBerry Android OS running on PRIV is more reliable and has been for 3 days.

BB10 had just one job, CrackBerry, and it can't even do that.... C'mon!!!!
    05-17-17 12:54 PM
    How so? I only use it for one App.... CrackBerry and right now it's dead in the water. My BlackBerry Android OS running on PRIV is more reliable and has been for 3 days.

BB10 had just one job, CrackBerry, and it can't even do that.... C'mon!!!!
    I have all the apks I need, it does me just fine
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    05-17-17 12:57 PM
    I have all the apks I need, it does me just fine
    I believe you're missing the point... Q.why can't the phone do what it's supposed to do? A.there isn't a good answer.
    05-17-17 01:05 PM
    "Different phones...different people" ...clearly iOS caters to lots of people, bbOS & bbAndroid not many...
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    05-17-17 01:51 PM
    Android caters to the basically world majority.
    Wezard and bibbula like this.
    05-17-17 01:58 PM
    I believe you're missing the point... Q.why can't the phone do what it's supposed to do? A.there isn't a good answer.
    I got the priv and the dtek but the Blackberry 10 phones do everything I need it's perfect for me I don't use a lot of apps. But I can get them all..
    05-17-17 05:08 PM
    "Different phones...different people" ...clearly iOS caters to lots of people, bbOS & bbAndroid not many...
    I think it's not always as straight as that. I think it's about timing. If iOS was launching today, i don't think it would ever catch. BB10 and Windows Phone are as capable and nice to use as Android an iOS. But they arrived too late, their ecosystems were nowere, lacking apps, and people didn't want to switch from iOS and Android because they would be loosing feature that they had.
    05-17-17 05:13 PM
    I think it's not always as straight as that. I think it's about timing. If iOS was launching today, i don't think it would ever catch. BB10 and Windows Phone are as capable and nice to use as Android an iOS. But they arrived too late, their ecosystems were nowere, lacking apps, and people didn't want to switch from iOS and Android because they would be loosing feature that they had.
    krazyatom likes this.
    05-17-17 05:13 PM
    Agree. What if bb10 had more apps than ios/android.
    05-17-17 05:17 PM
    The market speaks even if BlackBerry doesn't....
    05-17-17 05:30 PM
722 ... 34567 ...