BB is known for secure phones. Android steals data along with the apps you download, and the manufacturer of the phone. Android has no privacy. BB puts a custom Android OS on the phone and is constantly patching security threats to keep it secure and stop apps from stealing data for what they claim is marketing. It's not a small job to try to make apps from Google play work on bb devices while stoping them from stealing your data from the phone. That's why many don't work when you try to install them because the makers of the apps put it in the programming if your phone won't allow it to send your personal data then it will refuse to load. This is the problem why bb took so long to out Android on their devices. They needed to figure out how to keep your data safe and fool the apps into thinking they were accessing and sending your personal info.

You need to give bb credit on this one. Normal Android users have no idea how much of their data is being stolen for "marketing purposes"
    08-08-17 08:39 AM
    I have to say I'm enjoying my Priv. had it for over a tear and it has been good. Nougat will be a welcomed addition for sure.
    other than Nougat, is there talk of the next flagship? Priv 2 or Dtek 50 successor?
    08-08-17 01:47 PM
    Nothing has been leaked about upcoming phones. We know that two more are supposed to come. I do hope that the blacked out version will not be counted as one of the two phones to come. But we shall see soon enough.
    08-09-17 06:37 AM
    BB is known for secure phones. Android steals data along with the apps you download, and the manufacturer of the phone. Android has no privacy. BB puts a custom Android OS on the phone and is constantly patching security threats to keep it secure and stop apps from stealing data for what they claim is marketing. It's not a small job to try to make apps from Google play work on bb devices while stoping them from stealing your data from the phone. That's why many don't work when you try to install them because the makers of the apps put it in the programming if your phone won't allow it to send your personal data then it will refuse to load. This is the problem why bb took so long to out Android on their devices. They needed to figure out how to keep your data safe and fool the apps into thinking they were accessing and sending your personal info.

You need to give bb credit on this one. Normal Android users have no idea how much of their data is being stolen for "marketing purposes"
    for the record, bb doesnt stop any of what you say it does really. All the apps you download still have all access to you data unless you turn the permissions off. There is no fooling apps either.

Not sure what you mean by "many apps dont work" either because that is completely false.

Sounds you are talking about using BB10 and not the BB Android.
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-09-17 at 08:27 AM.
    08-09-17 06:59 AM

Lol BlackBerry's version of android sends the same amount of information to google than every other phone manufacturers flavors.
    And google is not stealing the data, you need to accept the terms of service yourself.
    08-09-17 08:21 AM
    We will neither be surprised or shocked.
    08-09-17 08:29 AM
    I meant "neither be surprised nor shocked"
    08-09-17 08:30 AM
    All of which has nothing to do with getting Nougat. But it is interesting discussion.

My Priv cannot be rooted, or at least hasn't been yet. However as others have stated, that doesn't mean Google isn't collecting information. That cannot be avoided unless an individual does not use anything associated with Google. If that is the case, why bother getting an Android device?
    08-09-17 10:00 AM
    I'm just annoyed. I feel like buying a Samsung at this point. at least Rogers releases the updates, even if they are a year late
    This post makes me laugh. The Priv was releases with Lolipop, it now has Marshmallow. My wife's Samsung S4 launched with Jellybean, it is now on Lolipop. So, no, Samsung won't necessarily be better.

I also get more security updates than her phone ever did, and I absolutely hate what Samsung did with the settings menus.
    08-09-17 01:40 PM
    This post makes me laugh. The Priv was releases with Lolipop, it now has Marshmallow. My wife's Samsung S4 launched with Jellybean, it is now on Lolipop. So, no, Samsung won't necessarily be better.

I also get more security updates than her phone ever did, and I absolutely hate what Samsung did with the settings menus.
    All valid points. But that can all be changed with root.
    08-09-17 02:09 PM
    All valid points. But that can all be changed with root.
    Yes, but being able to root sort of defeats the purpose of a secure device.

I have an Android tablet that is rooted, but I wouldn't trust it as much as I trust the security of the Priv.
    08-09-17 02:14 PM
    The S4 launched April 2013 with Jellybean and received its last major update (Lollipop) in April 2015 or so. The Priv launched November 2015 with Lollipop, and if it had the same update schedule as the S4, would receive Nougat (when O would be out) in November 2017 or so. I am not expecting Nougat for the Priv, though.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    08-09-17 02:36 PM
    The S4 launched April 2013 with Jellybean and received its last major update (Lollipop) in April 2015 or so. The Priv launched November 2015 with Lollipop, and if it had the same update schedule as the S4, would receive Nougat (when O would be out) in November 2017 or so. I am not expecting Nougat for the Priv, though.
    Yeah, I forgot about KitKat. I was looking at the numbering system for the versions. Jellybean and KitKat were both 4s while the jump from Lolilipop to Marshmallow was from 5 to 6.
    08-09-17 02:55 PM
    Honestly, people. This isn't rocket science. If you prefer the way another company handles OS upgrades, and if that is important to you, then buy your next phone from that company.

That's the only solution that will actually work, anyway. BlackBerry isn't going to change its practices to accommodate buyers of their defunct mobile phone business.

Expecting a company to change to accommodate your needs is just as ridiculous as expecting a person to do that. It doesn't happen much in the real world.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    PHughes likes this.
    08-09-17 03:21 PM

Expecting a company to change to accommodate your needs is just as ridiculous as expecting a person to do that. It doesn't happen much in the real world.

Not unlike those who won't shut up about "why there isn't new BB10 phones".

But to your other point about "defunct" business...

BlackBerry is still the owner of the BlackBerry brand. They consistently say that they are still responsible for the software, which their licensees are paying to use both. They are proving that they are incapable of even handling the software, dropping support as soon as they can. But then I guess that hasn't really changed since BB10, same old company. So what makes it worthwhile to even consider the BlackBerry brand? It's the licensor's responsibility to manage this.

And in case you didn't know, only the Priv became "defunct". Both DTEK50 and 60 have been recertified as TCL products, i.e. they are now BlackBerry Mobile products.
    08-09-17 03:59 PM
    Not unlike those who won't shut up about "why there isn't new BB10 phones".

But to your other point about "defunct" business...

BlackBerry is still the owner of the BlackBerry brand. They consistently say that they are still responsible for the software, which their licensees are paying to use both. They are proving that they are incapable of even handling the software, dropping support as soon as they can. But then I guess that hasn't really changed since BB10, same old company. So what makes it worthwhile to even consider the BlackBerry brand? It's the licensor's responsibility to manage this.

And in case you didn't know, only the Priv became "defunct". Both DTEK50 and 60 have been recertified as TCL products, i.e. they are now BlackBerry Mobile products.
    Well, TCL built those phones, so that makes sense to me.

As for BlackBerry not supporting its software products, that's a matter of perception. I don't much care whether my Priv gets O or not, so long as the patches continue.

In fact, the only problem I have with my Priv is that it runs Android, and I knew that when I bought it So, I can't blame BlackBerry for that!

Gigolo69 and PHughes like this.
    08-09-17 04:41 PM
    Well, TCL built those phones, so that makes sense to me.

As for BlackBerry not supporting its software products, that's a matter of perception. I don't much care whether my Priv gets O or not, so long as the patches continue.

In fact, the only problem I have with my Priv is that it runs Android, and I knew that when I bought it So, I can't blame BlackBerry for that!

Well put it this way... TCL didn't have to. If they intend to discontinue everything, they could've just kept it with BlackBerry and let them to die along with the rest of the remains of the BlackBerry hardware division. Recertification and reassigning costs money and resources, so basically they are adopting it into their portfolio and planning to continue to sell and support it.

As for the Priv, I guess you can say it's on "extended support" like XP back then, but at least Microsoft had the courtesy to tell you cutoffs. Managing expectations is also part of good software development.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    08-09-17 07:32 PM
    I don't see what the big deal is with nougat..is it going to make priv that much better?? I Dont keep up with specs and all of that so excuse my ignorance but if it comes great. If not oh well. I'd rather see a priv 2 with nougat already installed but that's a far cry. ****. I really hope it happens. This design was awesome for a slider. Just needed some tweaks
    08-09-17 09:57 PM
    P.s. since I can't edit my post. Can somebody tell me why the hate from some people with Android?? To me android is like a pc.I personally find apple os stupid and designed for children
    emrys01 likes this.
    08-09-17 10:00 PM
    I don't see what the big deal is with nougat..is it going to make priv that much better?? I Dont keep up with specs and all of that so excuse my ignorance but if it comes great. If not oh well. I'd rather see a priv 2 with nougat already installed but that's a far cry. ****. I really hope it happens. This design was awesome for a slider. Just needed some tweaks
    At this point I think I rather see a Priv 2 with O preloaded. Nokia 8 is launching next month with it.

If the said hypothetical Priv 2 runs N it would be a massive fail.
    newcollector likes this.
    08-10-17 09:36 AM
    At this point I think I rather see a Priv 2 with O preloaded. Nokia 8 is launching next month with it.

If the said hypothetical Priv 2 runs N it would be a massive fail.
    I like how you think. If BBMo came out with a Priv 2, I would be all over it like flies on flypaper. That would keep me from jumping to the OnePlus 5.
    08-10-17 09:57 AM
    Well put it this way... TCL didn't have to. If they intend to discontinue everything, they could've just kept it with BlackBerry and let them to die along with the rest of the remains of the BlackBerry hardware division. Recertification and reassigning costs money and resources, so basically they are adopting it into their portfolio and planning to continue to sell and support it.

As for the Priv, I guess you can say it's on "extended support" like XP back then, but at least Microsoft had the courtesy to tell you cutoffs. Managing expectations is also part of good software development.
    My perspective on my Priv is that
    1) It works great and runs all current Android apps.

2) It's fully supported on Android M, which was upgraded from L. M is still the most popular version of Android in the wild, and will be supported by developers for 3-5 more years.

3) The most recent release of M (not including patches) is only 4 months old. Although it's not the newest version it is CURRENT, more like Windows 8.1 than Windows XP.

3) I didn't buy it with the expectation of getting an upgrade to Android O. I don't ever count on version upgrades beyond what a manufacturer (and carrier) will confirm in writing.

Blackberry's support has been 100% sufficient for the Priv. I got exactly what I expected.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 08-11-17 at 12:25 PM.
    08-10-17 12:55 PM
    My perspective on my Priv is that
    1) It works great and runs all current Android apps.

2) It's fully supported on Android N, which was upgraded from M. M is still the most popular version of Android in the wild, and will be supported by developers for 3-5 more years. N will be supported even longer.

3) The most recent release of N (not including patches) is only 4 months old. Although it's not the newest version it is CURRENT, more like Windows 8.1 than Windows XP.

3) I didn't buy it with the expectation of getting an upgrade to Android O. I don't ever count on version upgrades beyond what a manufacturer (and carrier) will confirm in writing.

Blackberry's support has been 100% sufficient for the Priv. I got exactly what I expected.

You might want to revise point 2. The Priv is fully supported on M. It was upgraded from L a few months after its release.
    08-10-17 01:13 PM

I see it as they are supporting it, just as they promised to support it. They promised security patches, and they are providing those. I don't recall anywhere, where they said the Priv would get Nougat, much less Marshmallow, which it did get.
    08-10-17 01:14 PM
    I don't think nougat is coming but considering the priv should of launched with marshmallow it kinda feels like we were unintentionally shortchanged.
    08-10-17 01:18 PM
722 ... 2324252627 ...