I am general in agreement with the above statement but in a lot of ways, isn't the TCL deal trying to revive the BlackBerry brand?

If the amount of Priv users globally is small and a lot of the ones who did purchase it are enterprise and government, why would BlackBerry / BlackBerry Mobile want to anger the clients?

It's a tough sales position to be in where you stopped supporting the BlackBerry Priv device and than have a BlackBerry Mobile rep try and sell you a fleet of devices that are "secured software by BlackBerry "

BlackBerry as a company is targeting government and enterprise users to sell them software and services products. It doesn't seem worth it to me to ruin additional relationships over a few hundred thousand PRIV devices out there in the wild and an Android release.

Posted via CB10
    The cost of pushing hardened Nougat out to PRIV and DTEK likely exceeds any licensing revenue BlackBerry expects to get from KEYone. Also, it makes sense that BlackBerry Mobile expects BlackBerry to remain exited from the hardware business as part of the licensing agreement so as not to be in direct competition selling older inferior devices confusing prospective consumers.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-17 11:17 PM
    I will have to listen/view in morning or I could be in trouble!
    05-13-17 12:07 AM
    But priv was flagship model that cost $750 US dollars. Most of 2015 flagship phone got nougat or promised for nougat updates. My older Samsung s6 also received nougat already and Samsung is known for slow update. Priv is also true blackberry's first and last blackberry smartphone!
    Remember, the Priv dies not have a replaceable battery. Two years is about all one gets out of a phone battery, so that limits its practical life.

New ones are still being sold. AT&T models just didn't sell well and are still being liquidated.
    05-13-17 09:58 AM
    Remember, the Priv dies not have a replaceable battery. Two years is about all one gets out of a phone battery, so that limits its practical life.
    Not really... The battery is actually easily replaceable.
    FF22 and xandros9 like this.
    05-13-17 11:38 AM
    Not really... The battery is actually easily replaceable.
    Maybe easy for you, but many if not most Priv owners will not go to the lengths needed to replace a Battery. I would rather take it to a pro than for me to screw it up.

And someone said they thought only two year life expectancy is what you can expect from a phone battery is not accurate. I think most never phone batteries last a lot longer.
    FF22, AllanQuatermain and xandros9 like this.
    05-13-17 11:50 AM
    Maybe easy for you, but many if not most Priv owners will not go to the lengths needed to replace a Battery. I would rather take it to a pro than for me to screw it up.

And someone said they thought only two year life expectancy is what you can expect from a phone battery is not accurate. I think most never phone batteries last a lot longer.
    I didn't change it, other people around here said it's easy. Regardless of whether you take it to a pro or change it yourself, it's some 20 $ for the battery, maybe some change for shipping and whatever the pro would charge you for replacing it. I doubt it would be over 50 $ altogether which I don't believe would be much of a problem for most of us. Certainly isn't something that would "limit the device's life", that's all I wanted to say really.
    Wezard and xandros9 like this.
    05-13-17 01:23 PM
    Yes jerryrigeberything said priv is one of most easiest phone to replace the battery.
    05-13-17 03:44 PM
    I didn't change it, other people around here said it's easy. Regardless of whether you take it to a pro or change it yourself, it's some 20 $ for the battery, maybe some change for shipping and whatever the pro would charge you for replacing it. I doubt it would be over 50 $ altogether which I don't believe would be much of a problem for most of us. Certainly isn't something that would "limit the device's life", that's all I wanted to say really.
    A few months back a local repair shop replaced my Z30's ballooning battery. He ordered it and did the repair for just around $50 US. I thought it a fair price
    Mirko935 and xandros9 like this.
    05-13-17 04:07 PM
    replacing batteries in phones is not something that 95% of the public do. 2 year contracts used to be the norm and then its just become "part of the monthly bill" so replacing a battery doesnt matter. Its never needed because you are onto the newest version of your phone or something different anyway. Quit kidding yourself, only BB users would ever really have to worry about this because BB hasnt followed up on a design with a new version since the BBOS days. Truth hurts but I doubt you will see a "Priv 2" ever release. You might see another slider with android but its probably another year out atleast if ever.
    FF22 and Joao Oliveira like this.
    05-13-17 05:39 PM
    I have no doubt NOUGAT is coming for PRIV. Let KEYone land and go on sale in North America.

Posted via PRIV and or PASSPORT SE
    newcollector likes this.
    05-13-17 06:11 PM
    I am confident Priv will get it a few months after the KEYone is launched here in the USA. And if it doesn't happen, I am still good with what I have.
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    05-13-17 07:26 PM
    It would be a real shame if the Priv did not get Nougat. The AT&T Priv could really be a bargain phone once it gets Nougat.

Finally, it could stretch its legs.
    05-14-17 01:59 AM
    But surely it's to the detriment of the brand, buy a blackberry now and in 17months time you'll have to buy another cause we've abandoned the project?

I bought my Priv in DEC 2015 for the full pre-order price, it's got M and will definitely need N. I'm facing a few software issues and I think it's because most apps have been updated to N compatibility, therefore the performance issues should be sorted with an update to N.

A friend of mine bought her Priv in Nov 2016, she paid $500 for it out of the box and that's a lot of money to just throw away for 7 months usage, she's made comments about its lagging performance too.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    05-14-17 01:15 PM
    But surely it's to the detriment of the brand, buy a blackberry now and in 17months time you'll have to buy another cause we've abandoned the project?
    That's what they do best. They truly have earned their reputation.

Posted via CB10
    anon(679606) likes this.
    05-14-17 03:10 PM
    Nougat maybe when all other devices on the planetare on to O'Henry...

Posted via CB10
    05-14-17 03:22 PM

I bought my Priv in DEC 2015 for the full pre-order price, it's got M and will definitely need N. I'm facing a few software issues and I think it's because most apps have been updated to N compatibility, therefore the performance issues should be sorted with an update to N.

A friend of mine bought her Priv in Nov 2016, she paid $500 for it out of the box and that's a lot of money to just throw away for 7 months usage, she's made comments about its lagging performance too.
    That's the hardware. Less than 5% of all Androids are on Nougat. If you wanna blame BlackBerry, at least put the blame where it belongs, and criticize them for the CPU they chose.
    05-14-17 03:22 PM
    The CPU would be fast enuf if it weren't for the BlackBerry bloat you can't get ridd'a
    05-14-17 03:24 PM
    The CPU would be fast enuf if it weren't for the BlackBerry bloat you can't get ridd'a
    Yeah, ok kiddo
    Maybe next time something less bloated, like a Sammy. G-d knows how laggy they are. If they ever overcome that, they could be #1 !
    05-14-17 03:28 PM
    I would never beable to usea samsung... the back and apps icons on the bottom are reversed...too steep learning curve for my addled brain... MDR LSHBMHOTC
    05-14-17 03:35 PM
    I would never beable to usea samsung... the back and apps icons on the bottom are reversed
    On the S8/S8+, they are reversed by default, but can be changed to the "standard" Android setup.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-14-17 04:19 PM

Wait until some "blessed" users come here to indirectly unsult you by saying that your performance problems is user error, and their phone never lags and is crazy fast...

Priv has a clunky software. Pick any phone, LG G4, Xiamoi, somethign with SD808, it will run far smoother than the PRIV, fact. even the most credited phone reviewers have pointed that out.

Key1 (on 7.0) with the same processing power as the priv, has been reported to be A LOT snapier than the priv too.
    05-14-17 05:39 PM
    That's the hardware. Less than 5% of all Androids are on Nougat. If you wanna blame BlackBerry, at least put the blame where it belongs, and criticize them for the CPU they chose.
    I'm sorry, that 5% "thing" is just plain ignorant comment. That's like saying "oh, your ferrari only has 300hp? don't complain becuase only 5% of the cars on the market have more than 150hp..." makes no sense.

Priv is a flagship phone, so is fair to compare to the flagship phones of his time frame. Most of Priv's competition has been upgraded or has plans to be upgraded to 7.0.... The rest of the sub 300$ phones that make those 90% of Android phones doesn't matter. PRIV is a premium phone, that deserves premium service.

When 7.0 was released, PRIV was less than 1 year old!!!
    05-14-17 05:45 PM
    double post
    05-14-17 05:45 PM
    My PRIV purchased June 2016..and what's happened since then?
    First well constant monthly security updates! Know a lot coworkers with their "flagship" Androids not getting the same...
    Second constant improvements to installed apps plus new apps.
    Third under Marshmallow my PRIV running perfectly get full day bat life, smooth, awesome screen..and every so often clear cache, reset and back to enjoying my PRIV.
    So yes let Nougat come but as usual BlackBerry make sure all the bugs are cleared. As Mr Mobile himself said a lot of updated Nougat devices with issues...he does test a lot and a lot of devices.

KEYone...yes can't wait to have one with NOugat out of the box.

Posted via PRIV and or PASSPORT SE
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-14-17 05:58 PM
    SMH at all the fools who are defending BlackBerry not pushing android N to their previous flagship.
    05-14-17 06:39 PM
722 1234 ...