This is what is on digital trends article "when will devices get nougat" and its listed that all BlackBerry android phones will actually get it. So hey that is good news. For me I care more about getting Nougat with its new features than monthly security updates that honestly dont seem to do anything. But then again I have no idea what the security patches are doing to begin with haha
    Attached Thumbnails So the Priv will actually get Nougat?-33342.jpg  
    05-11-17 02:20 PM
    Read that article again. It doesn't say they will get Nougat, it says they "should" get Nougat. Like I said earlier, big difference between should and will. My hope is that we will.
    bluesqueen23 and Ditzu 1 like this.
    05-11-17 02:27 PM
    both dteks I assume should get it, Priv I wouldnt bet money on it at this point
    Wezard likes this.
    05-11-17 02:29 PM
    If blackberry abandon priv like playbook, we will have a lot of angry customers.
    05-11-17 02:42 PM
    If blackberry abandon priv like playbook, we will have a lot of angry customers.
    Who still followed BB and bought their new offerings!
    05-11-17 04:24 PM
    It's BlackBerry we're talking about, the only way to be sure about Nougat is if it's installed on your phone.

That implies a lot of people bought the Priv.
    05-11-17 04:39 PM
    It's not being abandoned either way - it will continue to get security patches.

Most Android devices only see one major OS update.

DTEK60 / Z30
    05-11-17 04:43 PM
    It's not being abandoned either way - it will continue to get security patches.

Most Android devices only see one major OS update.

DTEK60 / Z30
    But priv was flagship model that cost $750 US dollars. Most of 2015 flagship phone got nougat or promised for nougat updates. My older Samsung s6 also received nougat already and Samsung is known for slow update. Priv is also true blackberry's first and last blackberry smartphone!
    Ditzu 1 likes this.
    05-11-17 04:55 PM
    It's BlackBerry we're talking about, the only way to be sure about Nougat is if it's installed on your phone.

That implies a lot of people bought the Priv.
    Yes! We need to let blackberry know that we didn't give up with blackberry! Priv must have nougat!
    HaamKr8s and Ditzu 1 like this.
    05-11-17 05:00 PM
    The Priv will only get Nougat if people start 123 threads about the Priv getting Nougat. Each thread must have at least 267 replies. We still have a ways to go.
    FF22, xandros9, mamock116 and 9 others like this.
    05-11-17 08:22 PM
    The Priv will only get Nougat if people start 123 threads about the Priv getting Nougat. Each thread must have at least 267 replies. We still have a ways to go.
    I could prob start a dozen over the next few days, can't guarantee the requisite replies though.
    Does replying to ones own thread count?
    05-11-17 09:01 PM
    But priv was flagship model that cost $750 US dollars. Most of 2015 flagship phone got nougat or promised for nougat updates. My older Samsung s6 also received nougat already and Samsung is known for slow update. Priv is also true blackberry's first and last blackberry smartphone!
    Since it's BlackBerry last smartphone, why should they care about Nougat and keeping customers happy. What are you ever going to buy from them ever again??

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    05-11-17 09:06 PM
    I could prob start a dozen over the next few days, can't guarantee the requisite replies though.
    Does replying to ones own thread count?
    You can only reply to someone's reply to your own thread. You can't reply before anyone else replies. After that it is open season.
    05-11-17 11:47 PM
    I believe that dtek and priv will see nugat - the potential of, not granteed - after KEYone will release
    05-12-17 05:26 AM
    I would suggest a petition, but that's a BB10 exclusive. We don't need that cancer to spread...
    PHughes and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    05-12-17 05:30 AM
    I would suggest a petition, but that's a BB10 exclusive. We don't need that cancer to spread...
    I hope you noticed the sarcasm dripping all over my post. The Priv works as it is, there are no apps currently that require Nougat, and on the contrary. many would not work well with Nougat since they were written with older versions of the OS in mind.

Patience is a good thing.
    FF22 and Shane8750 like this.
    05-12-17 12:36 PM
    I hope you noticed the sarcasm dripping all over my post. The Priv works as it is, there are no apps currently that require Nougat, and on the contrary. many would not work well with Nougat since they were written with older versions of the OS in mind.

Patience is a good thing.
    Heh, I'm just fine with Marshmallow.
    PHughes and Bucky2016 like this.
    05-12-17 02:16 PM
    Here's another view:
    I think we might get Nougat for the PRIV if adapting Nougat and maintaining a single shared Nougat codebase for all BlackBerry devices inkl. PRIV is cheaper than patching Nougat for the KeyONE and Marshmallow for the PRIV (and the other devices) in parallel with all the security updates for whatever the support time after end of sales is.

It's usually developing into a nightmare for developers to maintain several parallel branches of code with the same patches all over again, so a single codebase should be attractive for the developers. Yet the initial effort might be huge, and it's not sure how the business people decide ...
    FF22 and GPuba like this.
    05-12-17 02:27 PM
    Here's another view:
    I think we might get Nougat for the PRIV if adapting Nougat and maintaining a single shared Nougat codebase for all BlackBerry devices inkl. PRIV is cheaper than patching Nougat for the KeyONE and Marshmallow for the PRIV (and the other devices) in parallel with all the security updates for whatever the support time after end of sales is.

It's usually developing into a nightmare for developers to maintain several parallel branches of code with the same patches all over again, so a single codebase should be attractive for the developers. Yet the initial effort might be huge, and it's not sure how the business people decide ...
    I like it. But does BB?
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-12-17 03:38 PM
    Heh, I'm just fine with Marshmallow.
    As am I. I'm not going to get sweaty about nougat
    05-12-17 03:52 PM
    Here's another view:

The business people already decided, BlackBerry is no longer in hardware. Updating to Nougat offers no payback or revenue stream. It also threatens no real consequences. They already have an idea, along with TCL, how much, if any, this would affect future BlackBerry Mobile sales. If past sales of PRIV and DTEK estimates are correct, they're aren't many people to upset in the grand scheme.
    05-12-17 05:28 PM
    The business people already decided, BlackBerry is no longer in hardware. Updating to Nougat offers no payback or revenue stream. It also threatens no real consequences. They already have an idea, along with TCL, how much, if any, this would affect future BlackBerry Mobile sales. If past sales of PRIV and DTEK estimates are correct, they're aren't many people to upset in the grand scheme.

I am general in agreement with the above statement but in a lot of ways, isn't the TCL deal trying to revive the BlackBerry brand?

If the amount of Priv users globally is small and a lot of the ones who did purchase it are enterprise and government, why would BlackBerry / BlackBerry Mobile want to anger the clients?

It's a tough sales position to be in where you stopped supporting the BlackBerry Priv device and than have a BlackBerry Mobile rep try and sell you a fleet of devices that are "secured software by BlackBerry "

BlackBerry as a company is targeting government and enterprise users to sell them software and services products. It doesn't seem worth it to me to ruin additional relationships over a few hundred thousand PRIV devices out there in the wild and an Android release.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-17 09:32 PM
    I am general in agreement with the above statement but in a lot of ways, isn't the TCL deal trying to revive the BlackBerry brand?

If the amount of Priv users globally is small and a lot of the ones who did purchase it are enterprise and government, why would BlackBerry / BlackBerry Mobile want to anger the clients?

It's a tough sales position to be in where you stopped supporting the BlackBerry Priv device and than have a BlackBerry Mobile rep try and sell you a fleet of devices that are "secured software by BlackBerry "

BlackBerry as a company is targeting government and enterprise users to sell them software and services products. It doesn't seem worth it to me to ruin additional relationships over a few hundred thousand PRIV devices out there in the wild and an Android release.

Posted via CB10
    Enterprise and government would be the last ones pushing for an update to Nougat. They would typically have to verify it themselves, before pushing it to their users.
    05-12-17 10:39 PM
    Enterprise and government would be the last ones pushing for an update to Nougat. They would typically have to verify it themselves, before pushing it to their users.
    Stop being so rational!

Of course, I'm on Verizon who can't even get Security Updates out in a timely fashion. Never mind how long they'd take for Nougat!
    BigBadWulf and zephyr613 like this.
    05-12-17 11:08 PM
    Stop being so rational!

Of course, I'm on Verizon who can't even get Security Updates out in a timely fashion. Never mind how long they'd take for Nougat!
    05-12-17 11:13 PM
722 123 ...