In general Google Android users seem to be self-entitled, narcissistic thieves. BlackBerry users used to be highly ethical and principled though I fear we are witnessing the decline in this status since the introduction of BlackBerry Player for Android when BlackBerry OS 10 was released.
    Hahahahaha oh wowww dramatic sweeping generalisations. Some of you clearly take yourselves too seriously
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-09-15 03:31 PM
    You haven't been here long. Blackberry Users CREATED this culture. BBOS...we hacked, slashed, tore, ripped, uploaded, downloaded, stole, sold and bought. Where are you people coming from with this higher standards BlackBerry User crap from? Loooooooooong before there was and Android OS, we hacked the phones. You weren't there, so of course you don't know this.
    You must be a "millennial" and not a hard-core BlackBerry user.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 02:44 AM
    They will not let the Hub available on other Android devices, it's a proprietary feature of Priv. I just hope it stays on the Priv and BB10 devices.
    11-10-15 03:50 AM
    lol big words considering the practice of pirating and distributing OS releases was rife here.

The vast majority of Android users will always pay for official apps, if Blackberry makes it available, they will reap the benefits

Actually they won't pay which is why devs target iOS first. Android users have been programed to expect free apps in exchange for data mining .
    11-10-15 04:36 AM
    Actually they won't pay which is why devs target iOS first. Android users have been programed to expect free apps in exchange for data mining .
    That paradigm is changing (i cover.

It used to be that devs targeted iOS first, but now, simultaneous releases are more frequent, and temporary Android-exclusives more common.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-10-15 06:09 AM
    You must be a "millennial" and not a hard-core BlackBerry user.

This is where the old adage of "assume" applies.

I'm from the era where LOGO was my first introduction to programming, son.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    11-10-15 08:38 AM
    They will not let the Hub available on other Android devices, it's a proprietary feature of Priv. I just hope it stays on the Priv and BB10 devices.
    Yeah, it's obvious you don't read much....

11-10-15 08:45 AM
    Well I won't call it available if a limited amount of Android users can install. It's sort of like side loading APK on BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-10-15 08:51 AM
    If BlackBerry wanted a quick infusion of cash, they would release this keyboard as a stand alone app.

I'd happily pay $5 for this thing and not have to worry about where I'm sourcing my apk from.

I think it would sell like crazy. My 15year old daughter begged me to sideload it on to her S5. (It works great BTW)

Then they would have the Blackberry name in front of tens of thousands of potential new users. There's nothing like this on Android right now.

Posted via CB Android by Note 3 running Priv VKB.
    Mecca EL and werkregen like this.
    11-10-15 09:02 AM
    If BlackBerry wanted a quick infusion of cash, they would release this keyboard as a stand alone app.

I'd happily pay $5 for this thing and not have to worry about where I'm sourcing my apk from.

I think it would sell like crazy. My 15year old daughter begged me to sideload it on to her S5. (It works great BTW)

Then they would have the Blackberry name in front of tens of thousands of potential new users. There's nothing like this on Android right now.

If only that would guarantee those tens of thousands of potential new users to rush in and buy BB10 devices. Guess that's where the priv comes in, yeah? Clever leak, that.
    11-10-15 09:26 AM
    If only that would guarantee those tens of thousands of potential new users to rush in and buy BB10 devices. Guess that's where the priv comes in, yeah? Clever leak, that.
    I think it would go a long way in brand recognition & establishing trust in BlackBerry. You get people talking about how much they're enjoying BlackBerry & hopefully it translates to future sales. If BlackBerry has more Android devices in the pipeline, this would be a good way to play the long game.

I don't see a future for BB10 in the consumer market long term. It may be a superior system, but it's .3% share and shrinking. BlackBerry powered Android is looking very very promising though.

Mecca EL and EchoesFX like this.
    11-10-15 09:56 AM
    I'm the one who started the XDA thread. I'm typing this using the Blackberry keyboard on my Nexus 7 2013. I'm tired of seeing blackberry fanboys (yes, they exist) fail to understand how android works. If you take the time to research a bit, or even just go skim the XDA threads, you'll see just how little grabbing the apps means for the Priv's security reputation.All the guys who worked on it had to do was get the file from someone with a Priv, decompile it, change about one or two lines, and then recompile the apk. Discussion about rooting is barely starting, but it is agreed that rooting will be not impossible, but really really hard. However, unlocking the bootloader and installing other ROMs is considered likely not happening. Before your go and say the Priv has no security compared to other Android devices, do your research.
    Thank you for starting that thread. I was able to throw the Priv apps onto my ancient HP TouchPad and it makes for an interesting device experience.

You'll find a lot of people here have some very incorrect ideas about how technology actually works sometimes. Don't worry about them.

Posted via CB10
    Xaiux and Mecca EL like this.
    11-10-15 10:00 AM
    Things have changed.
    Regardless, the point is, that the majority of people prefer to get their app from the play store then to get it from random sites for free
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-10-15 10:48 AM
    Let's not forget, that the majority of android users and potential priv buyers doesn't surf the XDA forums and installs the BlackBerry apks instead of buying a priv!!

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-10-15 10:51 AM
    Explain? I never signed anything or agreed to anything to use these apps. What terms and conditions could I have violated if I never agreed to any? I have been considering a name change for other reasons though.
    Yes, you certainly did, maybe not with Blackberry directly but with Google Play.

You may not sell, rent, lease, redistribute, broadcast, transmit, communicate, modify, sublicense or transfer or assign your rights to Products to any third party without authorization, including with regard to any downloads of Products that you may obtain through Google Play.

https://play.google.com/intl/en_ca/a...lay-terms.html
    11-11-15 10:11 AM

The only asses that I have ever met in life always use the same line about the word assume. Ergo you are an azz.

Mecca EL likes this.
    11-11-15 10:33 AM

I am from the generation of hackers who learnt to programme with 8-bit computers and BASIC. Then we learnt assembly language oftentimes without benefit of an assembler programme. We were self-taught by and large.

Mecca EL likes this.
    11-11-15 10:37 AM
    Wow I'm so happy this is really happening. This is the light at the end of the tunnel for BlackBerry. There is a great potential now for BlackBerry.

BlackBerry should be thanking these people for doing this. This will eventually be the saviour for BlackBerry for its device division.

You may be asking me what my logic is for this. Let me explain.

These apps like the BlackBerry keyboard, hub, calendar, contact, Blend & so on are really great apps that people love using. They are better than most apps out there and Android Central has been saying that Android needs to copy the hub from BlackBerry. So finally they are here. Let it be used for free by all Android users for at least 1 year. Let's take another year to help make BBM Great also. Let them have more free stickers.

Get the people using these apps for free. Get them hooked on these apps. Then in a year or so start charging them a nominal fee for it then BlackBerry will start making money out of it. Alternatively if these people do not want to pay for these apps they can then buy a BlackBerry 10 device or a BlackBerry Android device to use these apps for free. Eight way BlackBerry will win. It is only now that they have to bite the bullet a lift & wait out the storm

Posted via CB10
    Xaiux likes this.
    11-11-15 10:58 AM
    Yes, you certainly did, maybe not with Blackberry directly but with Google Play.

You may not sell, rent, lease, redistribute, broadcast, transmit, communicate, modify, sublicense or transfer or assign your rights to Products to any third party without authorization, including with regard to any downloads of Products that you may obtain through Google Play.

https://play.google.com/intl/en_ca/a...lay-terms.html
    Redistributing is arguable, due to me only reposting links other people created. As for the others, I'm sure you'll hear about it when Google sues a significant portion of its most devoted Android users who have done the same things.
    11-11-15 01:34 PM
    The only asses that I have ever met in life always use the same line about the word assume. Ergo you are an azz.

Yes...yes I am. I'm also full of it, but you didn't hear that from me.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-11-15 05:09 PM
    I am from the generation of hackers who learnt to programme with 8-bit computers and BASIC. Then we learnt assembly language oftentimes without benefit of an assembler programme. We were self-taught by and large.

So...having said that you come from, and I quote "the generation of hackers...", aren't you included in this group , and I qoute "In general Google Android users seem to be self-entitled, narcissistic thieves", as well? Since, and I qoute for a third time "BlackBerry users used to be highly ethical and principled"?
    11-11-15 05:17 PM
96 ... 234