Hello,

Honestly, up front, I don't see myself getting a PRIV immediately, and maybe not at all, but it is possible that I might not have a better choice (iOS is definite no, Android...is Android either way, and Windows Phone...well, experimenting there, but worried).

So, many people have stated that the Ecosystem IS the issue that has Held BlackBerry back, so I want to know what Apps might make a difference for me.

Obviously, everyone has different wants and needs for what they do with their Mobile Devices, but I really can't think of anything outside of games that I NEED...and few that I want. BUT, other people clearly do feel that need, so can anyone give me some of their top picks?

What Apps (maybe 3, but feel free to list more) that I can't currently get with a BB Passport would potentially open my eyes. Granted, I expect many of the potential answers won't appeal to me, but I'm hoping there might be a few that could appeal to me.

The other thread "What OUTSIDE of apps" can Android do didn't seem to be very convincing, so what can ACTUAL apps (or ecosystem in general) do for me that I can't currently do?

KAM
    10-09-15 12:52 PM
    Are you referring to apps that you can't currently get with BBW and Amazon (the two current official appstores), or apps that you still can't get despite all of the extra Cobalt/patching/Google Play Services workarounds? These are wildly different questions.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    10-09-15 12:56 PM
    Are you referring to apps that you can't currently get with BBW and Amazon (the two current official appstores), or apps that you still can't get despite all of the extra Cobalt/patching/Google Play Services workarounds? These are wildly different questions.

I was thinking of Apps that you cannot get without some sort of work-around. I would also say that apps that are Technically available, but that don't work could also be counted as "New" ones available under standard Android. So, anything that doesn't currently work in the two official App stores would be a fair answer in my view.

I'm not going to say "Well, I could side-load it and do X, Y or Z so that doesn't count." I'm not trying to make some back-handed argument here.

KAM
    10-09-15 01:03 PM
    I don't know what you're into. For me, the ones I find most useful are car related parking apps (I never carry spare change) fully functional MS Office mobile and of course, SKY Go (for when I'm bored in a hotel) I already use Netflix from my Passport for that too. For me, the selling point is the fact that it's a slider. I've been wanting one since the Z10 as I loved my Torch. Don't get me wrong, the Passport is awesome and I plan to still use it as my work phone but i'll have the Priv as my personal phone. I hate the "primary" and "secondary " terms as I spend roughly the same time at work as not.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    ayngling likes this.
    10-09-15 01:08 PM
    I don't know what you're into. For me, the ones I find most useful are car related parking apps (I never carry spare change) fully functional MS Office mobile and of course, SKY Go (for when I'm bored in a hotel) I already use Netflix from my Passport for that too. For me, the selling point is the fact that it's a slider. I've been wanting one since the Z10 as I loved my Torch. Don't get me wrong, the Passport is awesome and I plan to still use it as my work phone but i'll have the Priv as my personal phone. I hate the "primary" and "secondary " terms as I spend roughly the same time at work as not.
    I don't expect people to guess what I MIGHT want. I would like to see what others DO use and find useful, and determine if there's something I simply haven't considered.

Fully Functional MS Office is one that I'd definitely like.

KAM
    10-09-15 01:12 PM
    Get a couple dimple's at dimple.io, and use tasker with it. it will make your life simpler.

IFTTT is a really good one.. you can automate your phone and make your life simpler. For example, when I get near my home I have my lights turn on, and sound system come on at a low volume. Once I leave everything shuts off.

Nova launcher(I love BlackBerry but will be loading Nova Prime on my Priv and changing icons immediately). Lots of good widgets and such(grumpy weather is a good one). You can customize your drawer, icon size, how many rows of icons, spacing, you can really customize android to your liking 100%. This is usually the first thing I install on a new phone before any other app.

Bunch of good icon sets out there too.

3D Tuning - just for fun

Kodi for movies and such and connect it to my NAS so I can watch movies at home wirelessly.

Cliffhanger

Spotify

COL reminder

mr number

to name a few..
    Plazmic Flame and KAM1138 like this.
    10-09-15 01:14 PM
    So, anything that doesn't currently work in the two official App stores would be a fair answer in my view.
    KAM
    Well, for me, here is a short list (I have some of these working now because of unofficial workarounds):

Microsoft Office Suite
    Properly functioning Citrix Receiver
    Better VPN software
    Synology Media Server app suite
    NHL Gamecentre
    GMaps with working sign-in
    Netflix with Chromecast support
    Chromecast in general
    Functioning Kik Messenger (pics and all)
    Expedia
    Shomi
    Shazam
    Yelp
    Waze (current version)
    Playstation4 App
    Fitness accessory apps
    Chrome browser
    Firefox browser
    Photoshop
    Google Wallet
    Vivino
    Current versions of Banking apps where you can deposit

Last edited by conite; 10-09-15 at 01:54 PM.
    10-09-15 01:14 PM
    As an edge screen, when you get it search Google play for (edge screen) to add some more functionality to your edge screen.
    Gaming, 8 ball pool, asphalt nitro, pes 2015 if you like

That's all I can think of now will add more later

CB10�Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    KAM1138 likes this.
    10-09-15 01:17 PM
    Hello,

Thank to everyone so far.

dc2000: Nova Launcher--that might be something I'd play with. I'm pretty satisfied with the BB10 interface, but for an Android phone, it is likely I'd want to customize a bit.

Conite: Microsoft Office Suite. For sure.
    Curious however about the Browsers. I don't do HEAVY or involved browsing on my phone, but I've been generally happy with the BB10 Browswer. Are there any features with Firefox and Chrome you particularly like that you don't have on BB10?

KAM
    10-09-15 01:21 PM
    Hello,

Thank to everyone so far.

dc2000: Nova Launcher--that might be something I'd play with. I'm pretty satisfied with the BB10 interface, but for an Android phone, it is likely I'd want to customize a bit.

Conite: Microsoft Office Suite. For sure.
    Curious however about the Browsers. I don't do HEAVY or involved browsing on my phone, but I've been generally happy with the BB10 Browswer. Are there any features with Firefox and Chrome you particularly like that you don't have on BB10?

KAM
    Smooth text entry into text boxes? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 01:23 PM
    Are there any features with Firefox and Chrome you particularly like that you don't have on BB10?
    KAM
    Syncing bookmarks, extensions, and settings across devices. Better user-agent support.

00stryder and KAM1138 like this.
    10-09-15 01:24 PM
    Is there a FastTube-like app available for Android? It's basically my most used app on my Passport at the moment. Amazing for travel.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 01:56 PM
    Any Android apps that require Google Services to work will not work outside of Android: Gmail, Google Hangout, Google Voice, YouTube, just to name a few. Google Translate does not require Google Services to works (not yet), so you can install it on BB Classic with BB OS10. It works.
    CBluver876 likes this.
    10-09-15 02:08 PM
    This may not be a benefit to you but I like the fact that Incognito in Google Chrome allows me to access bookmarks and save them .

Release date late this year .... time to set up a GoFundMe account to buy the Priv
    10-09-15 07:20 PM
    Is there a FastTube-like app available for Android? It's basically my most used app on my Passport at the moment. Amazing for travel.

Posted via CB10
    Ya was wondering the same, also will there be BlackBerry Travel?

What's the Power Tools equivalent?
    Like geo-notifications?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 07:37 PM
    Really looking forward to installing Red Alert.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.red.alert
    A REAL life-saver.
    Today alone it went off 3 times for the south.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 07:41 PM
    What do you need? Make a list and look for apps.

 Classic
    10-09-15 07:42 PM
    BlackBerry Travel is a skinned version of WorldMate, which is in Play. But there are many other travel apps, such as TripCase.

There are lots of add-on utilities to tweak the way Android works. For example, there's Stay Alive, an app that lets you have a list of apps that are exempt from screen auto-timeout.

There are apps for locking individual apps.

There are a number of email apps to look at, especially if you don't use gmail, as I don't. Type Mail is my current favorite. Of course, if the Hub is fully functional, that may be all you need.

I don't play many games, but I enjoy the minimalist Desert Golfing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    10-09-15 07:59 PM
    Yes: BlackBerry Travel, Password Keeper and Remember.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 08:01 PM
    BoomBeach, Clash of Clans, the score (BlackBerry version and android spk don't have push notifications)

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 08:09 PM
    What do you need? Make a list and look for apps.

 Classic
    Well, that's sort of the point. I don't really have a list of urgent needs in regards to apps, but others have been very clear, that there are important apps.

As I stated above having a seamless mobile version of MS office is a strong desire, but beyond that it gets into media and entertainment territory pretty quick.

I'm just considering there might be things I have not considered that could be beneficial.

KAM
    10-09-15 08:10 PM
    Pfft,

Snapchat son.....that's it and that's all. lol

/s

Seriously, I'm asking myself the same questions

*Games - Don't have time to play games when I'm out
    *Banking App - Will never use them. Taking pictures of a check to deposit? I feel better just going to my bank
    *Office - I've tried editing a document on a phone and it was the WORST experience on a mobile device that I've ever had
    *Social Media - Other than Twitter, I let the youngsters have that

The only apps that I feel are essential to me are:
    *Cisco Jabber - I can download the apk from Cisco on the Z10 and it works awesome, but we are still waiting on the app for Windows. Come to find out that it wasn't Cisco but Windows and the lack of open hooks. (I believe they are just trying to force Skype for Business..lol)
    *OpenVPN - It is really not a huge deal, but because Sophos refuses to add IKEv2 to their UTM, I am just using my spare ASA for VPN and what do you know, Anyconnect and IKEv2 for all..lol.
    *A true call blocker - Blackberry has one with BlockIt but on Windows Phone, their native Call/SMS filter SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. I refuse to use it. Can only block from call history, they can leave voice mail, and exception list. It's horrible.
    10-09-15 08:34 PM
    For me it would be Twitter to start. BlackBerry does not have properly functional Twitter clients that support the feature I use the most without bugs, lists.

Posted via CB10
    BarefootBerry likes this.
    10-09-15 08:47 PM
    Hello,

The1: Yeah, even with the ability to have true office, the Screen and input is still a limiting factor.

Technarch: I only started with Twitter recently, so I'm using only very basic functions so I've not noticed any issues. However, that does strike me as one that really should be available functioning well onl any platform.

KAM
    10-10-15 01:00 AM
    With that portrait sliding keyboard the PRIV is the perfect Nintendo DS. You should definitely have a look at DraStic Emulator.

It might sound crazy but that app is the main reason I'll buy the PRIV instead of a Moto X Play for example. And the HUB of course, don't forget the HUB!
    Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 04:15 AM
40 12