Does anyone know why Google Messenger is the default text messenger on the Priv? I am having tons of issues with it its constantly saying it's unavailable and I'm not getting MMS messages and SMS messages. any solution anyone knows of? Thank you

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-18-15 07:12 PM
    It's default because the Priv is an Android. Use another messenger app but it might not appear in the hub.
    11-18-15 07:14 PM
    I'm not familiar with Android this is my first non blackberry OS phone. but I asked a friend who has a galaxy s6 and his phone doesn't use Google Messenger he actually was questioning me on why I was using Google Messenger I'm completely confused lol

11-18-15 07:24 PM
    Best app for text is textra , you can reply without leaving the hub as a widget pops up.

Posted via Blackberry Priv
    11-18-15 07:27 PM
    Does the Priv allow you to switch the defualt SMS/MMS handler to "Hangouts" instead of "Messenger".? if so, try that and see if it works better.

Cheers
    11-18-15 07:32 PM
    I'm not familiar with Android this is my first non blackberry OS phone. but I asked a friend who has a galaxy s6 and his phone doesn't use Google Messenger he actually was questioning me on why I was using Google Messenger I'm completely confused lol

Samsung have their own messenging app as does other OEMs.
    If your device is mainly stock, it will have either Google Messenger or Hangouts
    I used to be a big fan of the Google messenger app.

Never seen or heard it act like this before
    11-18-15 07:35 PM
    Second vote for Textra. Been a big fan for a while.
    11-18-15 07:37 PM

On Android, you can use different apps for specific uses, such as SMS or Photo Gallery. You can download new apps from Google Play store to replace the ones that are on the phone by default; in this case, the SMS app Google Messenger. A really good one is Textra and another is EvolveSMS. You can change the default SMS app under:
    Settings > More > Default SMS app
    shabbs likes this.
    11-18-15 07:37 PM
    I have been using Chomp SMS for years, nicely customisable, pop-up in lock screen or any app, answer straight from the pop-up, keyboard can be set to appear with the pop-up.......

11-18-15 07:44 PM
    Google has its own offerings, but several OEMs like Samsung make their own versions, and make these versions the default on their devices. You may see the same with Gmail, Calendar, etc. BlackBerry has its own versions of these.

One advantage of Android is that it lets one pick replacement apps. So, even though BlackBerry doesn't have an Android SMS client and you don't want to use Google Messenger, you can find something else.
    11-18-15 07:53 PM
    Ill give tetra a try thanks for the suggestions greatly appreciated

11-18-15 08:10 PM
    The Priv has a series MMS issue in the code. This has already been confirmed to me by senior BlackBerry techs. They're working on it.

Your MMS may or may not work intermittently.

Textra is a reasonable fix, however it doesn't integrate well into Hub. Unread messages stay gray. They're looking into that too.

11-19-15 06:49 AM