My Opinion..

It's the time of year where I'm eligible to upgrade my device with Rogers here in Canada. Actually I've been eligible to upgrade for the past couple of months, and I haven't. (Currently using a priv I purchased in May on Kijiji). My last upgrade was the only passport two years ago.

I haven't felt rushed to upgrade this time around. There's plenty of devices and not one seems to really catch my eye over the others right now. Obviously I've been a blackberry user in the past, but I have used other devices as well, including ios and other android devices.

The one that I really seem to like is the Galaxy note 7, but of course it is having major issues right now. I was really excited for the google pixel launch this week, and I was somewhat disappointed. I find the design ugly, no expandable storage, very minimal water/dust resistance, no wireless charging etc.

The iPhone 7.. I'm always intrigued by the newest iPhone. I think I'll always have a soft spot for the iPhone, they work extremely well, even if they are quite limited compared to Android. However, no headphone jack is a huge annoyance, (i drive a 2008 vehicle with an aux input). Ya it comes with a lightning to aux adaptor but that means you can't charge and play music at once. Really bold but stupid move by Apple in my opinion. Also, they eliminated the 64gb option. Very greedy move because for most folks, 32gb doesn't cut it anymore, (similar to a few years ago when they removed the 32 gb option, forcing all 16gb users to jump to 64gb), except now the minimum is 32gb.

From there there's the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, which are awesome, but they've been out almost the same time as my Priv, and obviously S8's are due out in the coming months, not worth the commitment for me for 2 years.

From there, I don't know, the unreleased LG V20? Who knows about the blackberry DTEK60 and its quality? Anyways in conclusion I just feel very unsatisfied with the smartphone market today, and when I really think about it, I'm fairly happy with my priv. But it's the first time in years that I haven't been itching to upgrade my device and be excited about it. Thoughts?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FF22 and vpblaze like this.
    10-07-16 09:39 PM
    Well I can say if your an audio person you'd love the V20. I have the V10 currently and no other phone can match the audio output that it has. Than you also have expandable storage and removable battery on the V20.

And did I mention the removable battery? Lol no waiting around at all when you get a spare battery and cradle.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno and vpblaze like this.
    10-07-16 09:59 PM
    Well I can say if your an audio person you'd love the V20. I have the V10 currently and no other phone can match the audio output that it has. Than you also have expandable storage and removable battery on the V20.

And did I mention the removable battery? Lol no waiting around at all when you get a spare battery and cradle.

Posted via CB10
    It's a valid point. How about the audio recording of the V20 when taking video? I attended an EDM music festival with my priv this summer and it was absolutely horrendous at handling the sound. Video playback ended up being lots of crackling

10-07-16 10:17 PM
    The iPhone 7.. I'm always intrigued by the newest iPhone. I think I'll always have a soft spot for the iPhone, they work extremely well, even if they are quite limited compared to Android. However, no headphone jack is a huge annoyance, (i drive a 2008 vehicle with an aux input). Ya it comes with a lightning to aux adaptor but that means you can't charge and play music at once. Really bold but stupid move by Apple in my opinion. Also, they eliminated the 64gb option. Very greedy move because for most folks, 32gb doesn't cut it anymore, (similar to a few years ago when they removed the 32 gb option, forcing all 16gb users to jump to 64gb), except now the minimum is 32gb.
    Agreed on the iPhone, I have a iPhone 7 Plus and it's slick as long as you're willing to buy into their ecosystem. I think there's an adapter that you can buy to allow you to charge and use headphones at the same time, but yeah, this is an annoyance. Even my '15 car doesn't have BT so I'm stuck using aux with the adapter.

I thought the elimination of the 64GB option was more like a free storage upgrade to 128GB than a greedy move; I didn't think they had changed the pricing tiers when they did that. Whether they should have made the base model 64GB is arguable, but the base Pixel phone is also 32GB, for what it's worth...

If you're happy with your Priv and you're not planning on changing carriers you can always take the upgrade and sell the new phone, could you not? Though I'm not familiar with the Rogers plans and whether your rate plan would have to go up or if just have to lock in another 2 years.
    10-07-16 10:38 PM
    Agreed on the iPhone, I have a iPhone 7 Plus and it's slick as long as you're willing to buy into their ecosystem. I think there's an adapter that you can buy to allow you to charge and use headphones at the same time, but yeah, this is an annoyance. Even my '15 car doesn't have BT so I'm stuck using aux with the adapter.

I thought the elimination of the 64GB option was more like a free storage upgrade to 128GB than a greedy move; I didn't think they had changed the pricing tiers when they did that. Whether they should have made the base model 64GB is arguable, but the base Pixel phone is also 32GB, for what it's worth...

If you're happy with your Priv and you're not planning on changing carriers you can always take the upgrade and sell the new phone, could you not? Though I'm not familiar with the Rogers plans and whether your rate plan would have to go up or if just have to lock in another 2 years.
    For your last comment, yes, my monthly rate would have to increase to $125/month for absolutely nothing. They don't offer the plan I'm currently getting anymore. I'm getting it for $80/month

10-07-16 11:25 PM
    OP, not so sure that the smartphone market has gone stale or we have become jaded in our expectations. It wasn't too long ago we thought getting email on a mobile phone was incredible, then having a browser was amazing and what would they think of next.
    10-08-16 12:40 AM
    It's a valid point. How about the audio recording of the V20 when taking video? I attended an EDM music festival with my priv this summer and it was absolutely horrendous at handling the sound. Video playback ended up being lots of crackling

The V20 has the same recording capabilities that the V10 has.
    You can control whether it directs audio recording from a speaker or from the recording person. You can also control the sound and it's dB's so sound recording quality is better than most phones.

And also....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v...rding-t3250321

Some like it some don't.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 08:52 AM
    The V20 has the same recording capabilities that the V10 has.
    You can control whether it directs audio recording from a speaker or from the recording person. You can also control the sound and it's dB's so sound recording quality is better than most phones.

And also....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v...rding-t3250321

Some like it some don't.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting find. I attended another summer using an iPhone 6, and audio playback was perfect.

10-08-16 11:42 AM
    They're all very different phones and some work for certain folks and others don't.

10-08-16 08:21 PM
    I agree. There is not much in 2016 that hardware of end 2015 offers more on. I'm positive 2017 will be different. Pixel is not available where I am yet...

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 Phone
    10-08-16 08:29 PM
    There is certainly not enough of a drastic development between devices from 2015 to 2016 for folks to warrant an upgrade. At least not from the Priv to other Android devices. The LGV20 has the been the only device I've seen for 2016 were I was like, hmm that's cool!

The pixel is joke! IPhone wannabe.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    10-09-16 04:38 PM
    In general even the credulous are getting wise to the game, every year it's the best faster etc blah. I don't waste my resources on over priced phones. Especially when you spend all this $ you can't do what you want to device you own, slow if at all software updates etc.

Thankfully the SE does all I need and I am more than satisfied with BB10, I also have a personal line with my Note 5 so I am good on phones for a while. I rather put $1000 in a CD before I waste it on a ifone 7+ or note 7

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 07:02 PM
    Wait for the S8 and see what happens

The Note 7 looks real nice and reminds me of the Priv in how the curved edges are implemented.

Too bad the battery problems.

#whatisclassic
    10-09-16 07:23 PM
    Wait for the S8 and see what happens

The Note 7 looks real nice and reminds me of the Priv in how the curved edges are implemented.

Too bad the battery problems.

#whatisclassic
    I've been reading Samsung might just abandon the note 7 all together and soley focus on the s8. Heard it may be a big upgrade to try and win people back. Hard to improve on the s7/s7 edge, really amazing devices.

10-10-16 12:56 AM
    I've been reading Samsung might just abandon the note 7 all together and soley focus on the s8. Heard it may be a big upgrade to try and win people back. Hard to improve on the s7/s7 edge, really amazing devices.

Did I just hear that there may be problems with the new and improved Notes battery, also? Seems odd that only this model is having such problems unless they designed it very thin or oddly shaped that makes it subject to failure. Although, at the moment, my Z30's battery is bulging and I'm looking to replace it.
    10-10-16 10:15 AM
    Did I just hear that there may be problems with the new and improved Notes battery, also? Seems odd that only this model is having such problems unless they designed it very thin or oddly shaped that makes it subject to failure. Although, at the moment, my Z30's battery is bulging and I'm looking to replace it.
    We?re up to seven reports of ?safe? Galaxy Note 7s exploding [Update #3] | Ars Technica

AT&T and T-Mobile have pulled the phone, and production has stopped.
    10-10-16 10:27 AM
    I'm always torn on this anyway and always wonder why people upgrade their phones so often and usually it's "just because". My wife and I have been looking at getting new phones and we've been playing around with several different models. Frankly, I'm not seeing anything currently offered in the Android or iPhone that can do anything that my five year old Samsung Galaxy S4 can't do. Sure, they may have a slightly better processor, but they're all still smart phones that basically do the same thing. Priv was on my short list simply because of the keyboard. I'm sure there are a small number of people out there that do have extremely specific requirements in their gizmo that maybe only one phone meets, but for the masses? They're all about the same as far as I am concerned.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-10-16 10:42 AM
    I'm always torn on this anyway and always wonder why people upgrade their phones so often and usually it's "just because". My wife and I have been looking at getting new phones and we've been playing around with several different models. Frankly, I'm not seeing anything currently offered in the Android or iPhone that can do anything that my five year old Samsung Galaxy S4 can't do. Sure, they may have a slightly better processor, but they're all still smart phones that basically do the same thing. Priv was on my short list simply because of the keyboard. I'm sure there are a small number of people out there that do have extremely specific requirements in their gizmo that maybe only one phone meets, but for the masses? They're all about the same as far as I am concerned.
    Heck I remember when I got my S4 for 1 cent on the black Friday deal a few years back! Loved that phone.

10-10-16 02:29 PM
    People change phones because they want the next latest and greatest features. It is not a matter of having to, but of wanting to.
    10-11-16 07:34 AM
    Can't believe you won't have a look at the priv.. You say you bored ? Try something different. Break the normal. 7 months into my usage . Never get bored of it . Love it to bits !

FF22 and newcollector like this.
    10-11-16 10:51 AM
    Can't believe you won't have a look at the priv.. You say you bored ? Try something different. Break the normal. 7 months into my usage . Never get bored of it . Love it to bits !

The priv is my current device, lol.

10-11-16 04:27 PM
    They are all Android or iOS glass slabs. The only unique device on the market is the Priv.
    10-11-16 04:31 PM
    And every time you use it in public, people notice.
    Matt J likes this.
    10-11-16 08:15 PM