I've had my Priv for a few months now, and overall I like it. I love having a physical keyboard with Android. Coming from a Passport, the keyboard isn't as good on the Priv, but the up side is Android!

But, the real problem with this phone is the performance. Even with Hub disabled, this thing has really sluggish overall performance. Stuttery, overall slow performance. My wife has an LG G4, and that thing is a rocket ship, relatively speaking.

Is this just my experience? Is your Priv a speedy and smooth? Mine really isn't. I can't see what the problem is. Plenty of memory space left. It's just kind of terrible.
    03-06-16 12:41 PM
    Something else is happening on your device. This is not typical.

Change your 3 animation speeds in developer mode to .5x. Also, reboot your device by holding down the power button until the phone reboots - ignore the prompt.

You should have no discernible performance difference compared to the G4. As a matter of fact, I think he LG Launcher is a bit of a pig - I would use Nova Launcher instead.
    03-06-16 12:49 PM

Change your 3 animation speeds in developer mode to .5x. Also, reboot your device by holding down the power button until the phone reboots - ignore the prompt.

You should have no discernible performance difference compared to the G4. As a matter of fact, I think he LG Launcher is a bit of a pig - I would use Nova Launcher instead.
    Conite, just curious, do you use the BlackBerry launcher or Nova?

Posted securely from my Priv
    03-06-16 01:48 PM
    Conite, just curious, do you use the BlackBerry launcher or Nova?

I prefer the BlackBerry Launcher.
    blambtn likes this.
    03-06-16 01:50 PM
    I prefer the BlackBerry Launcher.
    Me too. Tried Nova but I like the BlackBerry launcher better.

03-06-16 01:52 PM
    Me too. Tried Nova but I like the BlackBerry launcher better.

I like the edge flyout, and the sparks.

It just feels lean and mean to me.

I've set my three swipe up gestures to Solid Explorer, Google Now, and HUB.
    03-06-16 01:55 PM

Turning off the animations in "Developer Options" really helped. I didn't bother with 0.5, I just turned them off.

Any more ideas? What performance tricks are people using to speed Android up?
    03-06-16 02:14 PM
    It's the recent launcher update. It's really messed things up.

The latest update fixes it mostly, but the open/close lag still exists.

So go update the BlackBerry launcher App in google play.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-06-16 04:54 PM
    This isn't a new thing. The phone has felt sluggish from the start.
    03-07-16 01:21 AM
    I've had my Priv for a few months now, and overall I like it. I love having a physical keyboard with Android. Coming from a Passport, the keyboard isn't as good on the Priv, but the up side is Android!

But, the real problem with this phone is the performance. Even with Hub disabled, this thing has really sluggish overall performance. Stuttery, overall slow performance. My wife has an LG G4, and that thing is a rocket ship, relatively speaking.

Is this just my experience? Is your Priv a speedy and smooth? Mine really isn't. I can't see what the problem is. Plenty of memory space left. It's just kind of terrible.
    It could be the extra security algorithms working overtime that make it slower than the other androids.

9900 to q5 to Android
    03-07-16 04:09 AM
    It could be the extra security algorithms working overtime that make it slower than the other androids.

9900 to q5 to Android
    Nah, the Priv smokes most Androids. Including my partners s6. If you're experiencing lag, try checking out apps to see what's holding you down. Also, check out greenify. It hibernates apps running in the background. A few other hogs are FB and the native weather app. Dtek can tell you how many times an app is checking your location. I disabled my location except when needed. Advanced Permissions app can help with the issue. Good luck!

Enjoying the Priv
    03-07-16 07:38 PM

I have had my PRIV for almost two years and it is now SUPER slow....and I cannot figure out why. Sometimes I tap and app and it takes thirty seconds to open. My batter drains quickly, too.

This phone was spectacular and instant for a good long time and now, it's like everything had been dipped in cream soup....nothing here helped improve anything as I reboot all the time and my developer options are off...
    01-16-18 04:09 PM
    Clear the cache, then do a 32 second power button reboot.
    Turn developer options ON, set the 3 animation scales to 0 or .5, don't mess with anything else.
    Under location, make sure wi-fi and bluetooth scanning is OFF.
    Accelerated location, history and sharing should also be OFF or disabled.
    Take the time to go through your apps screen and un-install or disable the stuff you don't use.
    Go into Data Usage, scroll through and any app that doesn't need to connect to cellular data when closed and not in use, (that will be most of them) turn 'restrict app background data' ON. That same screen will show you how much data any app is using on cellular and wi-fi.
    Go into Detek and take the time to set up the appropriate permissions for each app.
    After doing all this, clear the cache and do another 32 second power button reboot.
    You'll need to clear cache and 32 sec reboot about once a week.
    Do NOT have FaceBook on the phone! FaceBook Lite, or the Friendlily app for FB both do well.
    If your phone is still slow and laggy, you have a bad or misbehaving app. Use the data screen and the battery screen to figure out which app(s) is using a lot of battery and or data.
    There is no need to disable the Hub or Hub+
    The Priv is over 2 years old, so it's not going to be as fast as the latest high end devices, but's not even near being slow or laggy.
    If none of the above works, run an autoloader, but first, set Google Play to NOT automatically reload your apps. A new OS installation isn't going to help if you promptly reload the app was causing problems.
    BBeast, Grungni and gallouly like this.
    01-17-18 07:44 PM
    Can anyone tell me what exactly does "Android OS" represent in the battery stats? Lately I find it eating s bit more juice than I'd like on my Priv, and I'm not sure how to pinpoint the exact problem.
    Keep in mind, I've done just about every trick in the book to squeeze max battery life out of it. And I get a solid 5h SOT at least, sometimes up to 6.
    01-18-18 12:21 AM
    Thats the Operating System, Android itself.
    01-18-18 04:55 AM
    Thats the Operating System, Android itself.
    Right, but what services does it translate to exactly? Meaning what steps could one take to make it a bit easier on the battery?
    01-18-18 06:10 AM
    Without root, you have no control over it.
    01-18-18 06:35 AM
    I should add that apps use it, so controlling app behavior will have some effect.
    01-18-18 06:36 AM
    Clear the cache, then do a 32 second power button reboot.
    Turn developer options ON, set the 3 animation scales to 0 or .5, don't mess with anything else.
    Under location, make sure wi-fi and bluetooth scanning is OFF.
    Accelerated location, history and sharing should also be OFF or disabled.
    Take the time to go through your apps screen and un-install or disable the stuff you don't use.
    Go into Data Usage, scroll through and any app that doesn't need to connect to cellular data when closed and not in use, (that will be most of them) turn 'restrict app background data' ON. That same screen will show you how much data any app is using on cellular and wi-fi.
    Go into Detek and take the time to set up the appropriate permissions for each app.
    After doing all this, clear the cache and do another 32 second power button reboot.
    You'll need to clear cache and 32 sec reboot about once a week.
    Do NOT have FaceBook on the phone! FaceBook Lite, or the Friendlily app for FB both do well.
    If your phone is still slow and laggy, you have a bad or misbehaving app. Use the data screen and the battery screen to figure out which app(s) is using a lot of battery and or data.
    There is no need to disable the Hub or Hub+
    The Priv is over 2 years old, so it's not going to be as fast as the latest high end devices, but's not even near being slow or laggy.
    If none of the above works, run an autoloader, but first, set Google Play to NOT automatically reload your apps. A new OS installation isn't going to help if you promptly reload the app was causing problems.
    I wish there was a place where it would explain HOW to do all this as I don't know where to find half these things on my phone...nor does it explain why it is sluggish now as opposed to when I first bought it when I have never changed the settings...

And Facebook has been on my phone since day 1 (obviously...it was the very first thing I installed)...so FB is not the issue as my phone worked just fine with it until a few months ago...and that is the most important app on there
    03-18-18 02:15 PM
    I wish there was a place where it would explain HOW to do all this as I don't know where to find half these things on my phone...nor does it explain why it is sluggish now as opposed to when I first bought it when I have never changed the settings...

And Facebook has been on my phone since day 1 (obviously...it was the very first thing I installed)...so FB is not the issue as my phone worked just fine with it until a few months ago...and that is the most important app on there
    Ditch Facebook, get Facebook Lite
    03-18-18 04:22 PM
    Clearly, you can't read. Facebook has never caused any issue on any of my phones, as I clearly wrote above (clearly) and it's the single most important app on my phone to have full functionality. So no, Facebook would be the LAST app I would ever "ditch."
    03-18-18 04:41 PM
    Clearly, you can't read. Facebook has never caused any issue on any of my phones, as I clearly wrote above (clearly) and it's the single most important app on my phone to have full functionality. So no, Facebook would be the LAST app I would ever "ditch."
    Facebook caused performance issues and caused excessive battery drain on my Priv... Swapped it out for Facebook Lite and problem solved... Might be worth a try...
    Got2GetAway likes this.
    03-19-18 06:51 AM
    You may not think it does, but it does. Delete if for a day or two and see. I use the mobile site for Facebook and my Priv runs much better than it did with the app installed. In one two week period of time the FB app consumed around 1.7GB of data, at a time when I barely looked at it. I deleted it and have never used that much data with the mobile site in a month. I use a dedicated browser for it so I could keep tabs on it.

I do understand it is the most important app for you, so you have to take that into consideration, but your phone will run better without the actual app. Everything is a compromise though, so if you feel you need it, you have to understand performance will suffer.

Restrict background data for all apps that really don't need it. Do keep the cache cleared, and do a 32 second restart every few days.
    gallouly and Got2GetAway like this.
    03-19-18 11:57 AM
    Clearly, you can't read. Facebook has never caused any issue on any of my phones
    Just because it hasn't in past doesn't mean it's not doing so now. I ran it fine for a couple update iterations, the only problem was the updates would change the app settings that I had chosen. Then the phone started acting screwy and eating battery, it turned out to be FB, deleted it all problems went away. A few months later I downloaded it again, all was fine till the next FB update, which screwed everything up again.
    FaceBook is a problematic app across all Android platforms, but particularly bad with the Priv. It is so infamously famous for causing problems with the Priv you will not be able to stop people from telling you dump it. And there is very good reason for that.

There are some good alternatives that do everything FB does, (with a lot less tracking and spying) using the actual FB servers. I recommend "Friendly".
    If you want to keep keep using the official full blown 'spy master' FB app, and claim it's not a problem, go right ahead. But you came here for advise, and dumping FB is excellent advise, particularity for the Priv.
    the_boon likes this.
    03-19-18 07:01 PM
    Then BlackBerry needs to fix that as I use my phone primarily for texting and Facebook. Everything else combined takes up like 5% of why I have a phone.

And again, I have changed nothing, I work in IT and I have had FB on it since day one while this issue has only been going on for a few months.

If I remove Facebook, I may as well just not have a phone. So clearly, it's not an option. If my FB was just fine for well over a year with FB, there's no reason it is suddenly the cause of the whole phone suddenly slowing down.
    03-21-18 11:15 PM
35 12