I have used micro hmdi cable with my BlackBerry 10 devices to play video and output through hmdi. I was able to turn off my phone screen and th video still playing.
    However now I have a PRIV and it uses a slimport for video output but I can't turn off my phone screen while playing. It is pointless to have it showing on my phone when I'm connected through HDMI and of course I wanted to save my battery and such...
    Anyone out there know a work around? Many thanks

Posted via my PRIV
    01-17-16 07:53 PM
    Unfortunately I don't have a full workaround. But if you use VLC player, you'll see a different view on the phone (controls) than on the external display (video). I'm not sure if you can disable the phone display altogether when playing videos (or at least make it a 100% black screen), but it should be technically possible to write an app which does so there are probably some video player apps which can.

For dimming the display completely for all phone operations (including e.g. games that you can play via BT controller) some OS / firmware level change is needed though, and without root that means only BlackBerry could add it.
    01-18-16 04:25 AM
    Thanks for your reply. Saw a few about using a third party application and requires rooting so I guess I will have to send them feedback

Posted via my PRIV
    01-18-16 07:14 AM
    Also send them feedback about having an option to disable audio through HDMI and just allowing the video (ie. play video through HDMI but play audio through the phone). My Z30 (and I'm sure all other BB10 devices) has this option.
    01-18-16 03:14 PM