Would have been easier to just say 'Because BlackBerry's have never had great camera's.' But I never bought my phone for the camera. For what I need out of it, my Passport camera is fine. The only time I wished it was better is in low light, which in most cases is when I likely shouldn't be taking pics anyway.
    personaly my worst gripe is the autofocus. I would like it to be faster, but i can live with the speed of it, what makes me made is that it takes a lot of pictures that aren't even focused. I wouldn't mind that it took a bit longer, but ended up with most pics in focus. This happens mostly in low light, in brigh light tends to work fine.

Other than the "un-focused" pictures, the passport is more than enought quality for my needs, but we know that a lot of people here expect way more from the camera phone.

Passport got the camera from the LG G3, maybe the slider will borrow the camera from the LG G4, wich seems to have a very impressive camera. Or maybe share with the GS6 camera wich is having great reviews aswell.
    05-13-15 10:52 PM
    Passport got the camera from the LG G3, maybe the slider will borrow the camera from the LG G4, wich seems to have a very impressive camera. Or maybe share with the GS6 camera wich is having great reviews aswell.
    While it's all debatable, I've concluded any issues with the camera come from the OS and generally not the hardware used. Some versions of BB10 have the camera working great while others, it seems to fall to pieces. It's almost like they can't find optimal settings and just leave them that way but as I say, debatable. Just speaking from my own personal observations.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    05-13-15 10:59 PM
    I'm not expecting cutting edge. But I'm also not expecting specs that are over 1 year old

Posted via CB10
    Is that not what we often get with Blackberry devices. What's new?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 11:50 PM
    Is that not what we often get with Blackberry devices. What's new?

Posted via CB10
    Passport was fairly up to date so i also have high expectations for the Slider. I don't think Jonh Chen is making the same mistakes as the previous administration
    pttptppt likes this.
    05-15-15 09:58 AM
    This year's flagship device has to have better specs than the Passport otherwise it's not a flagship device, I'd expect the keyboard devices to be upgraded in the new year with Passport parts and an all-touch Z30 replacement at some point with parts from the Slider.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 12:48 PM
    This year's flagship device has to have better specs than the Passport otherwise it's not a flagship device, I'd expect the keyboard devices to be upgraded in the new year with Passport parts and an all-touch Z30 replacement at some point with parts from the Slider.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I said! 100% agreed

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 01:14 PM
    Actually, since the depth is the issue and the slider has a curved screen after all, wouldn't they be able to increase the depth by making the screen convex on the inner side (where the rails are) and including a deeper sensor and/or battery on the keyboard side of the slider? Couldn't do that with the Torch or the Palm Pre 1/2/3 because they had flat screens after all. OLED screens don't need a backlight anyway.

Of course it won't looks like the prototype then. Just saying.
    05-16-15 02:24 PM
    While it's all debatable, I've concluded any issues with the camera come from the OS and generally not the hardware used. Some versions of BB10 have the camera working great while others, it seems to fall to pieces. It's almost like they can't find optimal settings and just leave them that way but as I say, debatable. Just speaking from my own personal observations.
    I agree. the version of 10.3.1 I'm currently running has a much-improved auto-focus on the Passport. I mean much-much-improved. In fact, all in all, photo quality is great. And, this comes from one of the biggest critics of the BB10 camera...

But, I wouldn't be surprised at all if when I finally move to a version of 10.3.2, I find the auto-focus laggy and unusable.

I wonder if there's no way to detect which camera module is used on a device and, for this reason, the camera app settings are an ever-changing compromise between being more optimized for the Passport module or for the camera used on previous BB10 devices?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 03:53 PM
    My first Z10 running 10.0 or 10.1 (whatever was latest leak April 2013) took fantastic pics. Really great pics. I went up to the latest 10.2 version with that Z10, the pictures were still fair.

I am told the hardware is the same in the Z30 as it was the Z10. But since having a Z30 I can't get a half assed picture without going through so much that unless you have pristine lighting and a non moving subject you're pretty well screwed. Other people can use their phones to scan UPC or QR codes without a second thought. If I need to scan one I better have 10 minutes screw around with it. Anyone feel me on this?

The only thing I know about the hardware is what people have said here. But if I were making the slider I'd be looking at brands of phones where they love the camera. And stick that in.

And then hope someone can make the software use able. Maybe BlackBerry doesn't have anyone left to work on BlackBerry software anymore. Seems like no one is home. And that no one really cares. Except for "enterprise ". And I have doubts about that when it comes to anything other than BES12.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.1.2708 / T-Mobile USA
    05-16-15 05:48 PM
    The Sony Ericsson Z1 compact is the same dimensions as the Z10 and takes very good mobile photos.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 06:23 PM
    The classic isn't a flagship. Seems you misunderstood my post

Posted via CB10
    Does blackberry release which of their phones is the most popular? Ie: which has the most currently in use and which has sold the most units?

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 04:31 PM
    Does blackberry release which of their phones is the most popular? Ie: which has the most currently in use and which has sold the most units?

Posted via CB10
    The Passport was the flagship device, the Z10 was the biggest selling BlackBerry 10 device.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 05:29 PM
    I was thinking along the same line as Fatfool. The back of the slider could remain flat and not bulge (or just bulge a little bit) and they could possibly put a short groove into the back of the screen to accommodate more room for the camera... hide things between the screen and the main unit.
    05-18-15 01:03 PM
38 12