The best acurate measure to know how good a camera is, is the size of the sensor. rule of thumb says that the bigger the sensor, the cleanest and more detail it can resolve for the same lens

In order to have a big sensor, due to difraction, the lens will have to have a bigger distance to the sensor. That's why you can see "the bulge" in almost all phone's camera today, they do it to try to increse the distance between lens and sensor, to jam the biggest sensor they can inside. The Nokia 1020 has one of th biggest smartphone sensor, so it also has one of the biggest protruding cameras.
    Slider's camera won't be great, here's why:-nokia_lumia_1020_camera_thumb.png

So, the slider... if the devices that were show are close to the final version, we won't have a good camera. why?

Slider's camera won't be great, here's why:-338536d1425423191t-new-device-slider-curved-display-coming-2015-img_20150304_055015.jpg

well, some phones are using the entire thickness of the phone to be able to get a bigsensor+lens combo (iphone for example), the slider with the sliding mechanism wont be able to have a lot of space for the sensor+lens if the camera will be standing behind the screen+mechanism.

OK, a lot of phones like Galaxy S6 also have camera behind the screen, but they don't slide, so they can pack everything more tight than a slider. So i believe that they either make the slider a slim phone with average camera, or make the slider thick to be able to have a good camera... or maybe they change the design, and place the camera at the top or bottom to avoid the screen. I also wonder if the "edge display" helps (or makes it worse) anything with the packaging

Am I right or wrong? what's your thoughts?
    early2bed likes this.
    05-12-15 09:41 AM
    I'm pretty sure BlackBerry will use whatever mid-tier off-the-shelf camera package everyone is using at that time (or... 6-12 months prior to that time). So they will rearrange their components as necessary to fit that in.

Posted via CB10
    HotFix likes this.
    05-12-15 09:53 AM
    most likely, the camera will be okaish.

thats a given
    05-12-15 10:38 AM
    Considering it's the screen portion that will slide the lower layer will essentially be a slab like any other phone, so might not really be an issue establishing a tight fit and finish like other phones. That's not to say the camera will be good since BlackBerry camera software can make any camera look bad lol. At the end of the day though it's an unseen device so any conclusions really at this point cannot be justified imo.

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    05-12-15 12:18 PM
    I think the slider's camera will be pretty much the same as the Passport's. Since I also think everything inside will be as well.
    05-12-15 01:04 PM
    The OP has a good point. Even Apple had to design a bulge into their camera which is pretty much the last thing they wanted to do. That's why I don't think the slider that was shown was an actual working device.
    05-12-15 01:19 PM
    I think the slider's camera will be pretty much the same as the Passport's. Since I also think everything inside will be as well.
    I hope not. The passport will be 1 year old by the time the slider gets released (and the passport already had specs that were around for a while already). And the slider is supposed to be a flagship

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 01:47 PM
    I hope not. The passport will be 1 year old by the time the slider gets released (and the passport already had specs that were around for a while already). And the slider is supposed to be a flagship

Posted via CB10
    But it's also a BlackBerry; when's the last time a BlackBerry has been cutting edge in terms of hardware?

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 01:49 PM
    It'll be good enough for FB or Twitter. that's all people use it for anyways. Professionals buy real cameras i think. But i could be wrong.
    05-12-15 01:57 PM
    But it's also a BlackBerry; when's the last time a BlackBerry has been cutting edge in terms of hardware?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not expecting cutting edge. But I'm also not expecting specs that are over 1 year old

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 02:08 PM
    I'm not expecting cutting edge. But I'm also not expecting specs that are over 1 year old

Posted via CB10
    The Classic is a Galaxy S3 deep down. That's well over a year.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    05-12-15 02:09 PM
    The Classic is a Galaxy S3 deep down. That's well over a year.

Posted via CB10
    The classic isn't a flagship. Seems you misunderstood my post

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 02:31 PM
    The classic isn't a flagship. Seems you misunderstood my post

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry isn't above reusing 2-year old specs. Seems you misunderstood my post.
    05-12-15 02:53 PM
    They need the camera to slide out. Maybe with the keyboard out, then individual keys could do something useful.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 03:10 PM
    BlackBerry isn't above reusing 2-year old specs. Seems you misunderstood my post.
    They're not above reusing 2-year old specs...when the device is NOT a flagship. The classic is not a flagship (heck even the name indicates it's not a flagship). The classic had one goal, bring users from bb7 to bb10. Those users are used to bad specs and whatnot so it didn't matter.

BlackBerry released the passport with fairly good specs (aside from the camera of course) last year because this device was their flagship.

The slider, which already has cutting-edge specs confirmed (the curved screen is still very new), is BlackBerry's flagship this year. The specs will be better than the passport's year old specs because if it's not, then the slider ISN'T a flagship which means there's no point in getting this device over the passport.

Think about it, if the slider and passport have the same specs, why would someone buy one over the other? They wouldn't buy the slider for the large screen because it'll be too thick compared to other slabs out there. They wouldn't buy the slider for the pkb because the passport has one (which you don't have to slide out every time you want to type). So no matter what you want, the passport is the better option (and it costs less than the slider will).

So that means that they'd have wasted r&d money, and money on the curved screens.

This proves that if Chen does the smart thing (which so far he's done every opportunity he got), then he'll release the Slider with better and newer specs than the passport. If not, they'll lose a lot of money.

Posted via CB10
    blackguy07 likes this.
    05-12-15 03:10 PM
    The point is that a smartphone camera has to be a certain depth in order to work well as a matter of physics. That means that the slider main-unit must be of a certain thickness to be a good camera, probably about what an iPhone 6 thickness is. If it's going to be thinner then the camera will be compromised no matter what the design is.
    05-12-15 03:27 PM
    I heard they're putting in a full-frame CMOS sensor in there with in-box optical image stabilization...

...oh no, wait. That was the latest Canon CAMERA. This is a topic about a phone. Right.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 05:49 PM
    Knowing Blackberry and Samsung's partnership, I somehow suspect that the passport is a Galaxy S6 underneath that probably could be released tomorow, but it doesn't so it doens't hurt samsung sales (otherwise samsung wouldn't borrow the hardware), so they will only going to realease in the end of the year.

The silder came out of nowere, so I think it doesn't have that much development otherwise it would have been leaked, maybe because is a GS6 underneath.

This is just speculation of course
    05-12-15 06:08 PM
    I'd say you're right OP. BlackBerry cameras are abysmal. Unless there is a conscious effort for them to use decent parts for once, then I'm not expecting anything decent.

But I want a slider so bad. I'd give anything to be wrong. Just once I'd love to be blown away with a high quality device.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.1.2708 / T-Mobile USA
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    05-12-15 11:36 PM
    Also there is no slider mechanism behind that area where the camera is... if you have taken apart a pre3 or torch - the "slider mechanism" is really not all that "much" - after the pre1-2 people mostly have learned that only the "screen" is to slide- and with LCD is very thin...with OLED it's even thinner. some very thin rails on the edges and boom done.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 08:04 AM
    I would be very happy with a 13MP shooter with a F2.0 aperture but nothing higher than that. A F1.9 would be best case scenario

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    05-13-15 11:40 AM
    I would be very happy with a 13MP shooter with a F2.0 aperture but nothing higher than that. A F1.9 would be best case scenario

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    the difference in light from f2.0 to f1.9 is negligible, it's just more gimmicks to fool the consumer since people finally got to know that the mexapixel race was stupid.

Manufactures have to shove a "number" in the consumer a$$ to try to quantify how good a camera is, and I feel that the Lens aperture is the new "holy grail" to fool the consumer yet again.

What you want is a big sensor, and software post processing that doesn't ruin the pictures like it does in BB10
    05-13-15 01:10 PM
    They're not above reusing 2-year old specs...when the device is NOT a flagship. The classic is not a flagship (heck even the name indicates it's not a flagship). The classic had one goal, bring users from bb7 to bb10. Those users are used to bad specs and whatnot so it didn't matter.

BlackBerry released the passport with fairly good specs (aside from the camera of course) last year because this device was their flagship.

The slider, which already has cutting-edge specs confirmed (the curved screen is still very new), is BlackBerry's flagship this year. The specs will be better than the passport's year old specs because if it's not, then the slider ISN'T a flagship which means there's no point in getting this device over the passport.

Think about it, if the slider and passport have the same specs, why would someone buy one over the other? They wouldn't buy the slider for the large screen because it'll be too thick compared to other slabs out there. They wouldn't buy the slider for the pkb because the passport has one (which you don't have to slide out every time you want to type). So no matter what you want, the passport is the better option (and it costs less than the slider will).

So that means that they'd have wasted r&d money, and money on the curved screens.

This proves that if Chen does the smart thing (which so far he's done every opportunity he got), then he'll release the Slider with better and newer specs than the passport. If not, they'll lose a lot of money.

Posted via CB10
    Nah, it's gonna have same or almost the same specs as the passport.
    The camera is great here btw... I really don't see what people complain about.
    05-13-15 08:53 PM
    Nah, it's gonna have same or almost the same specs as the passport.
    The camera is great here btw... I really don't see what people complain about.
    I'm still thinking it'll line up with the S6 in regards to specs.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 09:58 PM
    Would have been easier to just say 'Because BlackBerry's have never had great camera's.' But I never bought my phone for the camera. For what I need out of it, my Passport camera is fine. The only time I wished it was better is in low light, which in most cases is when I likely shouldn't be taking pics anyway.
    pttptppt likes this.
    05-13-15 10:07 PM
38 12