I never had a torch, but one of the biggest complaints i've heard from friends who did was that the keyboard was "sunken in". So while the layout of the keyboard was similar in size and style, the typing experience was very different because one's fingers would have to curve in more as opposed to typing on a bold.

Posted via CB10
    The "sunkin in" was easy to get used to. But the Bold 9900 keyboard had more width to it and felt more luxurious. If they had made the Torch keyboard a clone of the 9900 the dip down wouldn't have been an issue.

I was able to touch type very quickly on the torch.

What I wonder about is why then straight keyboards? I found the curved boards of the 8520, 9810, 9900 so much faster to type on.

I understand the straight keys on the Z.series but why did they change the keys on the pkb?

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA
    03-05-15 01:00 AM
    I personally had no problems adjusting from the curve 8530, to the 9700, to the 9810, to the Q10. If the Q5 type keyboard prevents the double typing issues, I'm all for it!

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    03-05-15 01:29 AM
    Looks thick.
    It looks very thick
    You guys are only saying that because you wanna see an all-touch for purists... :-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-05-15 06:36 AM
    I find Q5 superior to Q10
    smart548, flyingsolid and nglfmark like this.
    03-05-15 07:55 AM
    Bring on the slider! There was something about that 'click' when he opened those phones on the video that called my name.

Based on these prototypes, it'll be interesting to see how the phone will feel in hand while typing. I'm all for it.

Typed and swiped from my Passport.
    seemsixty7 and phuoc like this.
    03-05-15 08:06 AM
    My only hope is that they trim the fat at the top and bottom off the phone. I don't care too much how thick it is.. I know the torch 9800 was thick but that phone just felt durable in hand, I loved it. This photo however shows. A huge amount of unused device space below the keyboard. Hopefully they cut that out and don't give it oversized bezel space like the Z10

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:11 AM
    Bring on the slider! There was something about that 'click' when he opened those phones on the video that called my name.

Based on these prototypes, it'll be interesting to see how the phone will feel in hand while typing. I'm all for it.

it called your name, eh? Welcome to the "BlackBerry Addicts Club".
    03-05-15 08:19 AM
    Will be interesting to see how they prevent this from looking like a paddle board.

Too bad they didn't go with that fancy mechanism they filed a patent application for a few months ago. No one would been able to call that "a throw back", "old", "stuck in their ways", etc.

This just looks crummy with that exposed/unfinished sliding mechanism in the top back. Maybe they will add a glowing BlackBerry logo or something.

I DO NOT understand why BlackBerry insists on announcing such early-stage product prototypes. Maybe they had only planned on announcing the Skip it/Leap and realized what a let down that would be,.. so they then rushed in the product VP with some early card board prototypes of whatever he had in his drawer. Probably why he looked so un enthused/weary/angry.

Just feels desperate, and now they're under the gun for a slider,.. of which they only have a plastic model with lit paper overlay. smh BlackBerry... smh.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:29 AM
    Maybe the button on the side is bringing back the convenience key, GRIN!
    03-05-15 08:37 AM
    running 10.2 ? i see shadow at icons
    03-05-15 01:04 PM
    Have a good look at the PHONE, SEARCH and CAMERA icon just below the screen. Look lower than usual doesnt it?
    03-05-15 01:46 PM
    Will be interesting to see how they prevent this from looking like a paddle board.

Too bad they didn't go with that fancy mechanism they filed a patent application for a few months ago. No one would been able to call that "a throw back", "old", "stuck in their ways", etc.

This just looks crummy with that exposed/unfinished sliding mechanism in the top back. Maybe they will add a glowing BlackBerry logo or something.

I DO NOT understand why BlackBerry insists on announcing such early-stage product prototypes. Maybe they had only planned on announcing the Skip it/Leap and realized what a let down that would be,.. so they then rushed in the product VP with some early card board prototypes of whatever he had in his drawer. Probably why he looked so un enthused/weary/angry.

Just feels desperate, and now they're under the gun for a slider,.. of which they only have a plastic model with lit paper overlay. smh BlackBerry... smh.

Posted via CB10
    I think the announcement has more to do with the share value than with letting people know what they are working on... Chen is a funny guy at times, he talk about stopping the LEAKS but then he show devices off months (or even a year if you are a US customer) before they are released.

My big concern is how will this affect the battery size... maybe they'll split it up?

Either way it is an interesting device that will attract the attention of some users.
    03-05-15 02:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's important for fans customers and investors that they know there's real things in the roadmap. It sucks they weren't ready but they had to show something. You dont go to MWC just to announce a low end handset
    03-05-15 03:45 PM
    I'm extremely concerned about that keyboard. It looks like a chicklet style keyboard, ala the old Palm/HP Pre-series phones.Attachment 338909
    Remember this is a pre production device we're seeing. So they might even be using the dev alpha keyboard until the design is perfected.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 04:10 PM
    The pre 3 keyboard was actually pretty great

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 06:27 PM
    The pre 3 keyboard was actually pretty great

Posted via CB10
    I still have and sometimes turn on my developer edition Pre 3. It is one of the in-house HP devices with serials stamped all over it. Very rare from what I understand.
    03-05-15 06:54 PM
    Why is the top of the search button cut off? It's like the UI is actually an overlay with a bright backlight behind it.
    The top of the search button is most likely cut off with a piece of black electrical tape to either hide the developer model number or to hide the fact that the bottom three buttons are now soft touch buttons.

power key on the left side FTW
    03-05-15 07:30 PM

Wait a minute! I heard perfectly that the 'click' called MY name lol!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:40 PM
    The keyboard was identical, short of being ever so slightly smaller than the Bold keyboard.
    Eh?

Sorry dude - don't agree. I *LOVED* the 9900 keyboard. I *HATED* the mushy torch keyboard with that lip all around the side.

Didn't think they were anything alike - and not in a good way for the Torch.

BlackBerry knows how to make great mobile keyboards, but Torch wasn't one of them, IMO
    03-05-15 07:44 PM
    The top of the search button is most likely cut off with a piece of black electrical tape to either hide the developer model number or to hide the fact that the bottom three buttons are now soft touch buttons.

They just whipped out a new form factor prototype. Why would they want to hide soft buttons?

Besides how does covering the top of the soft button with tape hide the soft button?

I think it's pretty obvious it's sift buttons and I assume they strip has additional functions for trackpad and word suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:50 PM

Actually I stand corrected. It might actually be tape. Haha my bad.

Still think those are soft buttons though.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:52 PM
    You guys are only saying that because you wanna see an all-touch for purists... :-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    Well prem I'd rather just have an all touch as well but I'd settle for something like this as long as it doesn't feel like a brick in my pocket. I've taken to wearing pants with cargo pockets because I'm used to them for one, my uniforms have ems size cargo pockets which are huge, but also because I carry a lot of crap with me. It all adds weight. I don't need a physical keyboard and actually really like the BlackBerry virtual one. If it's what we have to settle for then OK but I still think a nice all touch would be a good idea. Who knows, the leap might be OK but I already have a z30 and from what I saw the leap really won't improve on that. I could be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:03 PM

•   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   •
    you mean the 99.06% of the world, here your only the .04% remember.

I don't understand why they would put it out the bottom like that, it wasn't that long ago CB was making fun of the Iphone 4 when it came out just a touch longer than the 3 series and it was no where as near as long as this contraption. Landscape mode slider would have made alot more sense....but i guess if you like having that "square pad" phone in your pocket this one sticking up past your chin from your shirt pocket won't bother you lol.
    03-05-15 10:01 PM
    I never had a torch, but one of the biggest complaints i've heard from friends who did was that the keyboard was "sunken in". So while the layout of the keyboard was similar in size and style, the typing experience was very different because one's fingers would have to curve in more as opposed to typing on a bold.

Posted via CB10
    Eh?

Sorry dude - don't agree. I *LOVED* the 9900 keyboard. I *HATED* the mushy torch keyboard with that lip all around the side.

Didn't think they were anything alike - and not in a good way for the Torch.

BlackBerry knows how to make great mobile keyboards, but Torch wasn't one of them, IMO
    Torch keyboard was sunk-in or whateve the word is. And when you pressed any key, it didn't travel as deep as Bold, Q10, Q5's keys do. So, I was unsatisfied with Torch's keyboard. I WANT a slider but I want the keyboard to feel like a regular BlackBerry keyboard. When I press a key, it should feel like it feels on Bold, Q10, Q5 etc.

Also, I want either a tool-belt at the bottom bezel of the screen (mainly the trackpad) OR OR OR capacitive touch keyboard so that when I want to scroll through a webpage or want fine cursor control, I don't have to shift position and go to screen. I should be able to do that in same position (by reaching for trackpad in bottom of the screen or by using capacitive keyboard as mouse)
    03-05-15 10:08 PM
    Slider zoomed in pics side by side.-blackberry-blade.jpg

This. This would be a good spiritual successor to the Torch.

Slider zoomed in pics side by side.-torch-9810_2.png

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:01 PM
60 123