I know a lot of speculation has been thrown out about the similarities to the S6 Edge further fueled by the Samsung partnership (albeit predominantly in software, NOT hardware), but I think we all need to take a step back.

If the Slider is targeting Enterprise, I sincerely doubt we'll be seeing S6-like specs in the device. We'd be making bets in a burning house thinking anything else.

If it's for Consumers, sure. Although it's a lot likely there'd be a stronger urge towards specs for a flagship consumer device, I also think we'd be kidding ourselves thinking that they'd be S6-grade specs!

No matter how you slice it, this device will be an upgrade, but let's be real: it'll be EVOLUTIONARY not REVOLUTIONARY. BBRY would not VASTLY skew their product line and O/S development with a curveball of a HIGH-END hardware device! Think about it: what good would come from throwing in souped-up hardware if only ONE device in your line exponentially out-performs your other 7 or so BB10 devices. Unless they're going to fork the development path for the Slider.

Again -- why would they do that? There's no sense in it! Their M.O. is not "best hardware ever", so why would they take on more overhead for something outside of their mission or value proposition?

So don't set yourselves up for disappointment by dreaming up the highest-end specs. I know we all like to wish for a radically different checking-off-all-the-boxes hardware, but it'd be extremely unlikely for reasons mentioned above.

I am, however, more interested in speculating on how the curved edge could be used in BB10 and also generally if they keyboard would be touch-sensitive, etc.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 12:39 PM
    BlackBerry has been CLEARLY and REPETITIVELY telling the world they are focusing the enterprise market.

We already have the answer.
    eldricho likes this.
    05-17-15 12:56 PM
    BlackBerry has been CLEARLY and REPETITIVELY telling the world they are focusing the enterprise market.

We already have the answer.
    Yes, they have been saying they are focusing on the enterprise business. However, Chen already stated that he wanted to start closing the app gap. One way that has been characteristically efficient in attracting developers has been creating noticeable hardware that is targeted at multiple sectors of the market. As such, I can't help but believe that there is no "clear" answer here. I think that the slider is targeted at people like you and I: Crackberrians. It was our enthusiasm and an interesting form factor that sparked moderate interest in the Passport. By using these tools to build a brand of originality and functionality, BlackBerry will be able to create a name for itself that is synonymous with those qualities. I personally believe that Chen's strategy is to keep four base products in the hardware division: Passport, Leap, Classic, Slider. Each one allows them to target specific segments of the market and grow from there. The Slider would essentially be the Edge to the Passport's S6. An interesting device that allows for productivity and fun specs. Now, notice I said fun specs instead of high specs. The Passport has decent specs. I expect the Slider to be the same. Not top of the line but at least top shelf. The great part about BlackBerry is that it allows for enterprising capability regardless of fun factor. So the Slider could very easily be targeted at a Crackberrian while keeping in mind that we also enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 04:35 PM
    Classic and a solid slab is all that's needed for "enterprise" the thing is, modern enterprise is diverse byod - and BES has been working on accommodating that- so making all types of devices is always to that end.

What focus on enterprise means promotion and marketing etc. not really just this or that type of device or that- as with the rest you have to get BYOD choices in your portfolio not others lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 05:54 PM
    If the Slider is targeting Enterprise, I sincerely doubt we'll be seeing S6-like specs in the device. We'd be making bets in a burning house thinking anything else.

If it's for Consumers, sure. Although it's a lot likely there'd be a stronger urge towards specs for a flagship consumer device, I also think we'd be kidding ourselves thinking that they'd be S6-grade specs!
    At this point we know that BlackBerry can only stay in business if it is successful in marketing security services and software to the enterprise market. They are still making hardware in order to support that market. There is very little for them to gain by targeting the consumer market.
    05-17-15 06:42 PM
    Yes, they have been saying they are focusing on the enterprise business. However, Chen already stated that he wanted to start closing the app gap...

I think that the slider is targeted at people like you and I: Crackberrians. It was our enthusiasm and an interesting form factor that sparked moderate interest in the Passport. ... So the Slider could very easily be targeted at a Crackberrian while keeping in mind that we also enterprise.
    Chen wants to close the app gap for his enterprise customers who are asking him "where are the business apps that we need?" Hence his quest for "app neutrality". In the meantime we have an Android runtime.

Neither the Slider or the Passport are targeted at consumer Crackberrians. We like them, but unless we work for one of his targeted enterprise customers, it won't make much difference to BlackBerry.
    05-17-15 06:54 PM
    This device will be like the launch of the Passport. It will be touted as another Blackberry flagship. It will have high end specs probably same specs as the Passport. Target market will remain the same- Blackberry fans and those iPhone and Android users looking for something different. But mostly current Blackerry users will buy it. This will not be an Enterprise product because that's what the Leap, Classic, and Oslo are for. I'm just a little stumped why Blackberry will launch this product. Having an edge screen is pure gimmick. I wish they will make the keyboard as a detachable unit that houses extra battery and micro sd slot. Makes much more sense. Sell to the masses but give options for Blackberry fans as well with the removable PKB.
    05-18-15 05:04 AM
    Please is the autoloader for Q10 same for Q5

After God you are your best friend. Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.500
    05-18-15 05:06 AM
    Chen wants to close the app gap for his enterprise customers who are asking him "where are the business apps that we need?" Hence his quest for "app neutrality". In the meantime we have an Android runtime.

Neither the Slider or the Passport are targeted at consumer Crackberrians. We like them, but unless we work for one of his targeted enterprise customers, it won't make much difference to BlackBerry.
    The Passport is a flagship that seeks to serve both commercial ans enterprise. The Slider will be the same. Leap, Classic, and Oslo are for the real enterprise customers. Passport is not budget friendly.
    05-18-15 05:08 AM
    I don't meed bleeding edge specs. Sucks that the all touch crowd gets affordable devices but when we finally get our slider it's "flagship" and priced ridiculously for people like me who will want to buy off contract. So unnecessary.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 07:34 AM
    I don't meed bleeding edge specs. Sucks that the all touch crowd gets affordable devices but when we finally get our slider it's "flagship" and priced ridiculously for people like me who will want to buy off contract. So unnecessary. Posted via CB10
    You can't get much more affordable in a PKB device than the Q5 for $100. Also, the new slider isn't going to be any less expensive than the Classic.
    05-18-15 09:54 AM
    I think slider = high end professionals like the Passport. The Classic and Leap are the fleet phones.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    05-18-15 11:59 AM
    Consumer, enterprise don't need a curved display, that's just adding unnecessary cost. Tbh it doesn't really offer much more productivity, and I can see it being 500-600 easily, which most companies probably won't pay for.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 01:00 PM
    I definitely agree with the sentiment that it will be, characteristically, similar to how the Passport was to the BB10 line-up (a high-end "BlackBerry") -- which in turn implies that it will not be S6 specs, which I think is becoming a popular and ill-conceived belief. People are linking the partnership with Samsung as being indicative of hardware sharing between the two companies.

I think we're being a little too quick to call the curved edge as being "gimmicky" -- they managed to turn a touch sensitive keyboard into a productivity element. The curved screen might actually have some purpose.

Maybe a ticker-style vertical notification bar?
    Maybe a "scroll bar" for you to use to scroll up and down browser pages/documents without touching the body of the content?
    Maybe special gestures for skipping tracks/scrolling to the top of pages or bottom of pages, etc. when your keyboard is hidden?

Let's not write it off until we have more info.
    05-18-15 02:01 PM
    I think they're going for a predominantly consumer market with this device. The last device where they focused on the consumer was the Z30 if not Z10.

It's about time. The curved display gives a hint that they're atleast thinking about the consumers.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 02:05 PM
    I don't think that consumers will go for it, this device is for enterprise.
    05-18-15 02:15 PM
    I think they're going for a predominantly consumer market with this device. The last device where they focused on the consumer was the Z30 if not Z10.
    All of BlackBerry's current and pending products are aimed at the enterprise market as part of their strategy to become profitable again by selling security software and services. Even if they doubled their US consumer market share from 1% to 2% it wouldn't matter.

Consumers went after BlackBerry products when they were the only significant smartphone maker. Now they've moved on Apple and Samsung. BlackBerry is completely off their radar at this point. Hardly any smartphone sale people even know that BlackBerry is making new hardware, and even if they do, they don't like phones which they don't know how to use.
    05-18-15 04:35 PM
    All of BlackBerry's current and pending products are aimed at the enterprise market as part of their strategy to become profitable again by selling security software and services. Even if they doubled their US consumer market share from 1% to 2% it wouldn't matter.

Consumers went after BlackBerry products when they were the only significant smartphone maker. Now they've moved on Apple and Samsung. BlackBerry is completely off their radar at this point. Hardly any smartphone sale people even know that BlackBerry is making new hardware, and even if they do, they don't like phones which they don't know how to use.
    That's such a negative way to look at it. If Steve Jobs killed off the first iPhone because it wasn't selling as they expected it to with a 500 dollar price point ON contract, they shouldn't attempt?

As long as they have a viable offering for customers I don't see any reason to not go after the consumer market.

From a handset division standpoint what else can they do with the enterprise market? They've come out with the Passport, Classic, and Leap and handset market is still losing money...

It's time they worked on something with the consumer in mind. As long as they execute properly and give consumers a great product competitive (not just hardware) with other offerings, I don't see any problem with the Slider oriented towards consumers.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 04:44 PM
    That's such a negative way to look at it.

As long as they have a viable offering for customers I don't see any reason to not go after the consumer market.

From a handset division standpoint what else can they do with the enterprise market? They've come out with the Passport, Classic, and Leap and handset market is still losing money...
    It's hard to get too optimistic at this point. John Chen said in a recent interview that he was "failing" at the present time. That's sounds like an acknowledgement that he hasn't been meeting his own targets. While BlackBerry's focus is on the enterprise market, there seem to be a lot of loose ends and half baked projects at the moment. I can't even find a working link to download Blend for my Windows PC. It's clear that John Chen hasn't given up yet, so let's hope he succeeds in the long term.

There's no reason for BlackBerry not to go after the consumer phone market, except that Microsoft has already demonstrated how hard that can be when your operating system is not Android or IOS and your market share is small (but still much larger than BlackBerry's). If BlackBerry can get in the news about selling lots of hardware to enterprise customers, that's likely to be more cost effective advertising than going directly after the consumer market.
    05-18-15 08:16 PM
    I feel like people are taking Chen's comments on enterprise focus in the wrong way. I took it to mean that focus would be dominantly on services and IoT while still keeping at least 25% of the focus on devices. As I've said before, there is no way they can compete in the consumer realm without innovative hardware. So, I really believe they are counting on their loyal customers to buy this phone and give it exposure. In fact, the 1.6 million units sold last quarter kinda speaks to that. While this is nowhere near Apple and Samsung numbers, it still shows that the core BlackBerry fan base, which likely made up the majority of those sold units, has bought into the company's new goal of hardware innovation. I'd bet that the Slider's release will almost mirror that of the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 08:21 PM
    Consumer, enterprise don't need a curved display, that's just adding unnecessary cost. Tbh it doesn't really offer much more productivity, and I can see it being 500-600 easily, which most companies probably won't pay for.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. If they do come out with a curved display it will be a mistake. Unless they are able to take advantage of it that will become a game changer. I highly doubt that.
    05-19-15 12:18 AM
    I definitely agree with the sentiment that it will be, characteristically, similar to how the Passport was to the BB10 line-up (a high-end "BlackBerry") -- which in turn implies that it will not be S6 specs, which I think is becoming a popular and ill-conceived belief. People are linking the partnership with Samsung as being indicative of hardware sharing between the two companies.

I think we're being a little too quick to call the curved edge as being "gimmicky" -- they managed to turn a touch sensitive keyboard into a productivity element. The curved screen might actually have some purpose.

Maybe a ticker-style vertical notification bar?
    Maybe a "scroll bar" for you to use to scroll up and down browser pages/documents without touching the body of the content?
    Maybe special gestures for skipping tracks/scrolling to the top of pages or bottom of pages, etc. when your keyboard is hidden?

Let's not write it off until we have more info.
    The touch sensitive pkb on the passport had a compelling use case because it made using the phone a bit easier due to its size. The Curved display on the other hand, i havent found any compelling function that can be called innovative or game changing about it. Ticker? Really? I liken this curved edged display to the Galaxy/LG Curve. No real world compelling use YET.
    05-19-15 12:28 AM
    Reading the thread starter, I couldn't help but wonder, what is business when only one side offers all? I mean Samsung's software technology is inferior to BlackBerry's in most areas, and hardware technology is where Samsung really beats all (most) competition. So I guess it is rather logical to think (considering that all business deals are two-way) that the Slider will have decent enough specs...
    As for the question I 'm thinking that it would be a consumer (70)- Enterprise(30) taking into account that the Slider will be 2015 flagship for BlackBerry like the Passport of last year.

블랙베리!  BlackBerry!  Z3-Z10-Slider!
    05-19-15 04:54 AM
    Please is the autoloader for Q10 same for Q5

After God you are your best friend. Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.500
    Yes

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    05-19-15 06:18 AM