No? No need for 4GB RAM, you will never use all of it.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    My Passport has 3GB and it's not enough. If I try to run more than one game at a time, it will close one of them. (this is in addition to twitter, browser, CB10 of course, but these should use much memory)

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 02:35 PM
    What if it is android, but a BB10 skinned version using the Samsung App Store and Amazon App Store. BB will never be able to get GP services without ditching BB10 and entering the not-so-Open Handset Alliance
    Why would BlackBerry have to ditch BB10 to join the OHA? There are plenty of companies who have been members of the OHA who have released phones not running Android (Samsung and HTC both produced Windows Phone devices alongside Android devices, for example).
    bigjman likes this.
    06-17-15 02:39 PM
    Why would BlackBerry have to ditch BB10 to join the OHA? There are plenty of companies who have been members of the OHA who have released phones not running Android (Samsung and HTC both produced Windows Phone devices alongside Android devices, for example).
    It's been discussed a lot. The Android runtime within BB10 violates the rules. So either they get an exception (unlikely), or they dump the runtime in BB10. So they don't have to ditch BB10, just the android runtime.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-17-15 02:46 PM
    5.4" screen with a keyboard pretty much means "two handed operation almost all the time".

For this reason, I hope they will relent and put the toolbelt on it. If they don't, I'm going to have to drive ALL the way to Waterloo and smack their UX designers across the face REALLY HARD.

howarmat likes this.
    06-17-15 03:15 PM
    I remember reading some "confirmed" specs for the Z10, it was suppose to be much better the Dev Alpha B... N4BB confirmed these specs with his source, but the question is does his source have a clue what he is talking about.

Have to hope that next week Chen give us some info
    06-17-15 03:26 PM
    No longer doing BlackBerry 10 and not moving the platform forward are two different things. They were still selling BBOS devices but not moving it any farther. You seem to miss this point.

When you post articles on BlackBerry Developer Blog about developing Android apps and encouraging making apps for Amazon, is that a ringing endorsement for BlackBerry 10? No.
    im not missing any point at all ..........until it happens its all bull if it happens I will bow down to you BUT and move on from blackberry as I said before I think droid is crap
    06-17-15 03:54 PM
    Native BB10 developers would have to some serious rewrites to be able to target that device.
    Huh? Are you saying that having a faster processor will require serious rewrites? Are developers using loops for timing? Are you saying having more RAM will require serious rewrites? Are developers doing their own memory management? Are you saying having higher resolution cameras will require serious rewrites? Are developers bypassing the camera API and talking directly to the camera hardware? Are you saying screen resolution will require serious rewrites? Are developers writing directly to graphics hardware instead of using a GUI API? Sure, if there's a new screen resolution/aspect ratio, the GUI would need to be optimized for it for maximum quality, but that would go for any app on any OS.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    06-17-15 04:36 PM
    It's been discussed a lot. The Android runtime within BB10 violates the rules. So either they get an exception (unlikely), or they dump the runtime in BB10. So they don't have to ditch BB10, just the android runtime.
    Would they be allowed to develop an Android device with Google Services and sell that? BB10 would still have the Android Runtime, but no Google Services as before. Would having any forked version of Android preclude being able to develop "pure" Android devices?
    06-17-15 04:40 PM
    Would they be allowed to develop an Android device with Google Services and sell that? BB10 would still have the Android Runtime, but no Google Services as before. Would having any forked version of Android preclude being able to develop "pure" Android devices?
    Anything that doesn't adhere to Google's terms in the OHA would not be allowed as far I understand. Only way around it if they want to keep the runtime in BB10 is to partner up with someone like Samsung who licenses BlackBerry patents like the Hub, touch capacitive keyboard with actions and shortcuts, etc.

If BlackBerry wants to make a full blown Android device with Google Play Services, they have to drop the runtime in BB10. Personally, I think that's a huge gamble considering (A) dropping the runtime in BB10 will alienate a portion of what's left of BB's userbase and (B) releasing a BlackBerry Android device is a huge risk considering how saturated the Android market has already become.

Which points back to the other option: work with Samsung on releasing a Samsung branded Android Slider with the BlackBerry Experience embedded.
    06-17-15 04:56 PM
    5.4 I'll pass

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 05:12 PM
    Huh? Are you saying that having a faster processor will require serious rewrites? Are developers using loops for timing? Are you saying having more RAM will require serious rewrites? Are developers doing their own memory management? Are you saying having higher resolution cameras will require serious rewrites? Are developers bypassing the camera API and talking directly to the camera hardware? Are you saying screen resolution will require serious rewrites? Are developers writing directly to graphics hardware instead of using a GUI API? Sure, if there's a new screen resolution/aspect ratio, the GUI would need to be optimized for it for maximum quality, but that would go for any app on any OS.
    Damn that's a lot of questions, maybe it meant the 64bit part, screen resolution shouldn't be much of an issue really, would be similar to the z30
    06-17-15 05:13 PM
    With those specs, a Z50 would be great. Take away the keyboard and put a massive battery in. That thing would sell like crazy.

06-17-15 05:36 PM
    I just hope they give us at least 32gb of device storage, would rather see 64. I dislike having to remove apps to create space.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 05:39 PM
    I just hope they give us at least 32gb of device storage, would rather see 64. I dislike having to remove apps to create space.

Posted via CB10
    Passport is 32GB so everything high spec'd going forward is going to have that at a minimum I'd say. Pretty easy assumption, imho.
    06-17-15 05:52 PM
    With those specs, a Z50 would be great. Take away the keyboard and put a massive battery in. That thing would sell like crazy.

If the rumours of partnering with Samsung are true, that's likely. When you think about it, a glass slab is probably the easiest device for BlackBerry to release given the market. Call me crazy but I'm sure a high end all touch will follow closely on the heels of the slider. With the same internals of the slider obviously, lol.
    06-17-15 05:55 PM
    The screen is almost the size of the iPhone 6 Plus. That will look like a monster when the keyboard is deployed.

Attachment 358070
    Well they said the Slider (or Venice) is curved, so it might not be so wide since the 5.4 diagonal would be curved down. Actual width might be less.
    06-17-15 06:32 PM
    Damn that's a lot of questions, maybe it meant the 64bit part, screen resolution shouldn't be much of an issue really, would be similar to the z30
    Would 64-bit addressing require serious rewrites? Maybe only if the developers used the extra bits beyond 32-bits to move data around. Back when the PC's, Mac's, Amiga's, etc. moved from 16-bit to 32-bit, programs that weren't "32-bit clean" used such schemes and required rewrites. Hopefully the lesson was learned from what was done 20+ years ago.
    06-17-15 06:32 PM
    Why do you think it will be months before 10.3.3 is released? Do you think that 10.3.3 will have revolutionary features or just patches? If it is going to be months for 10.3.3, it would be many many more for 10.4. Face the fact that BB10 is what it is and that BlackBerry is going Android and BB10 will be ignored.
    So, you think it will be faster for them to switch to Android and put out a polished device than to update 10.3.2 to 10.3.3? Doesn't seem like it to me.

And nobody has mentioned the MS Android tax that any successful Android maker is paying. I would imagine a BBRY Android phone would fall right in their crosshairs.
    06-17-15 06:48 PM
    There's also no need for 64bit then either. Anything over 4GB of RAM is only used by a 64bit OS if I remember correctly. 4 and below can be run on a 32bit OS.

Posted via CB10
    The ability to use more RAM is not the only benefit of 64-bit. You also get a significant increase in general purpose registers on the CPU, with those registers increasing in size. On top of that, the architecture used by all 64-bit mobile CPUs, ARMv8, packs other improvements unrelated to 64-bit. Moving to 64-bit will, in other words, provide more CPU oomph.

If BlackBerry doesn't mess up the implementation, apps should not require any rewrites at all either - the CPU should still understand 32-bit instructions just fine, and process them faster than ever. Apple and Google both had very few issues, if any, making the jump.
    06-17-15 07:29 PM
    The slider 5.4-inch is too big and slide type for me .Im looking at 4.7 inch with 2.2 GHz
    full touch screen and not slide type.
    06-17-15 09:25 PM
    No? No need for 4GB RAM, you will never use all of it.

Where have I heard that quote before?
    06-17-15 09:45 PM
    I hope the overall size is that of the Z30. The Z30 is big enough for me.

I don't know if I will get a Slider. If I do it will be a few months after its released so I can get it when the price goes down. Although I always say this and end up getting it at full price. Lol. It just depends how good the actual Slider turns out.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 10:18 PM
    The ability to use more RAM is not the only benefit of 64-bit. You also get a significant increase in general purpose registers on the CPU, with those registers increasing in size. On top of that, the architecture used by all 64-bit mobile CPUs, ARMv8, packs other improvements unrelated to 64-bit. Moving to 64-bit will, in other words, provide more CPU oomph.

If BlackBerry doesn't mess up the implementation, apps should not require any rewrites at all either - the CPU should still understand 32-bit instructions just fine, and process them faster than ever. Apple and Google both had very few issues, if any, making the jump.
    Okay did not know that, well said. Implementation is key, let's hope BlackBerry can get it done right the first time.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 11:06 PM
    Where have I heard that quote before?
    Lol, no no, I know what you mean

I'm saying 4GB at the present moment would be over kill for 99% of the population. Simply because games and apps will only use a small portion of it.

Going forward, yes there is space and purpose for 4GB as everything does get bigger and require more memory. But I would say, at least for the next 3 years there is no need for it. Everything will be absolute fine on 3GB.

2GB on my Q5 is still able to play, Temple Run, Minion rush, Angry Birds ect with no issue. That's why I said you will never use it.

06-18-15 01:37 AM
    That's a big phone. I work in the field and the Z30 is pushing it for me size wise. I wish BlackBerry would stay with the 5" screen. I really like that they may make this slider, though.
    using my Z30 for a few weeks now and looking back at my Z10 i see that it's tiny in comparison even the text feels like it's all scrunched together. kinda feels weird how i used it for so long... the Z30 is like a breath of fresh air all this extra real estate and imo the slider shouldn't be that big, heck the 9800-9810 wasn't even bigger than the 9900 in size when closed. i thought the slider would be in between a Classic and Z10 in size. guess not.
    06-18-15 01:47 AM
139 ... 23456