Sorry people but there it is!!! The number one reason NOT to buy a slider. It's a mechanical device and ALL mechanical devices will eventually wear, malfunction and fail. Same goes for PKB. Keys can fall off, wear out, double type, fail to register, the list goes on and on.
    I'll stick to my all touch slab phone thanks.
    My last phone - a slider with the virtual keyboard disabled - is still 100% after 5 years of constant heavy use and abuse. There's no reason why a well-designed slider mechanism can't last as long as the phone is needed. Non-mechanical components like LCDs, headphone jacks, etc. are just as likely to die early. In the case of the Priv, the problem is that it is so thin and lacks the industrial bulkiness that you usually get with such a phone. Clearly there have been compromises in the design process.
    01-14-16 03:33 AM
    The same thing happened with my 9800

Good luck.
    01-14-16 04:48 AM
    ...try pouring some 'optimism' on it instead of thinking the worst.
    I'm pretty sure that violates a forum rule.
    01-14-16 08:54 AM
    I want my phone to type what I press, not the key next to it then have it guess what I was typing. I turn violent start stabbing people when my phone does that.
    You should seek psychiatric counselling immediately.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    01-15-16 03:08 AM
    I don't know man, sudden stabbing urges seems like the natural response after what he described.
    Wezard likes this.
    01-15-16 05:22 AM
    I don't know man, sudden stabbing urges seems like the natural response after what he described.
    No, not really. That's pretty disturbed.
    01-15-16 08:00 AM
    Is it a torch you're talking about?

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    01-15-16 08:07 AM
    My last phone - a slider with the virtual keyboard disabled - is still 100% after 5 years of constant heavy use and abuse. There's no reason why a well-designed slider mechanism can't last as long as the phone is needed. Non-mechanical components like LCDs, headphone jacks, etc. are just as likely to die early. In the case of the Priv, the problem is that it is so thin and lacks the industrial bulkiness that you usually get with such a phone. Clearly there have been compromises in the design process.
    Non-mechanical components are more reliable. You don't have to design more bulk into them since you always have much more room without a slider. You don't have to deal with as many potential manufacturing problems. They don't loosen up as you use them. Stuff doesn't get stuck in their mechanisms.

I've never heard of a virtual keyboard that suffered from a mechanical problem, however, this forum is strewn with posts about double-entry buttons, stop working, stick, fall off, etc.
    lift likes this.
    01-15-16 08:59 AM

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    How do you know I'm not already...
    01-15-16 09:46 AM
    It's the best term I could come up with. Let's just say it's way tighter than before and I'm unclear as to why. My guess is that AT&T is going to take it apart and they'll find some pocket lint or something in there that's holding it up.

Posted via Blackberry Priv
    Did you try a can of air cleaner? That would be my guess. I'm sure you're right. Probably something in your grooves. Got to keep your grooves clean! 🚯

Posted from my Priv
    01-15-16 01:32 PM
    No, not really. That's pretty disturbed.
    Na.

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    01-15-16 02:45 PM
    Did you try a can of air cleaner? That would be my guess. I'm sure you're right. Probably something in your grooves. Got to keep your grooves clean! 🚯

Posted from my Priv
    I did try that, didn't have any improvement after I did that but it has been improving everyday as time passes. I'm sure there's some lint or something in there and it will work itself out. I'll give it another week before I go to AT&T.

01-16-16 01:42 PM
    I got mine the day of release, I'll go to BlackBerry and see if they direct me back to AT&T.

Unless it's purchased through shopblackberry they will send you back to your carrier every time. The warranty is through your carrier
    01-16-16 02:21 PM
    I shouldn't say it stopped working, it just stopped working properly. The slider used to just need a nudge and it would complete the full slide up or down for you. I just picked it up and now it needs a lot of force to slide up and down and I could leave it in any sliding position I want (I could show only two rows of keyboard if I choose to) because the mechanism is really tight now. Any ideas?

Good news, took 5 days but the slider is working properly again. Must have been some lint, not happy that there's a gap to allow it in, but happy that the mechanism itself did not have a problem.

Jonneh likes this.
    01-17-16 04:19 PM
    Good news, took 5 days but the slider is working properly again. Must have been some lint, not happy that there's a gap to allow it in, but happy that the mechanism itself did not have a problem.

Great to hear it is working properly again!

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 04:50 PM
40 12