After seeing the video, I must admit that the slider looks like a well built nice piece of hardware with some interesting features. Problem is for many like myself is that I am not interested in a slider. I'm also not interested at all in a device running android.
    Why couldn't BlackBerry put out a high end BB10 all touch for the many that want one.
    Unfortunately I think the market for a slider whether it runs android or not is going to be relatively small. Also I am concerned that the device appears to me that it will be costly and can't compete in the high cost range.
    I am also concerned about the fact that the device cost BlackBerry a lot of money to develop and that it will not be the savior that BlackBerry needs to save the handset business. There are literally hundreds of android devices out there and many at very low cost now.
    Just my opinion. How do you feel?
    bharuch7282 and vanrickman like this.
    09-18-15 11:42 AM
    The Slider looks like a great piece of hardware-sdfsdf.png

to all those who say the screen isnt curved. Does this prove it is?

Edit: GG Wrong thread, works anyways.
    09-18-15 11:45 AM
    Even if they make an high-end all touch phone, it'll still sell the normal 1-1.5 million. Although the Blackberry Venice is a huge risk, I still think it's the best chance we have. Just my opinion though

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 11:50 AM
    The purpose of this Android slider is not to sell a lot more handsets but to eliminate the need to continue to develop the BlackBerry 10 operating system. John Chen is simply trying to break even on hardware which can only be accomplished by outsourcing almost everything about handsets. BB10 probably is now in maintenance mode for customers who just want secure communications.

What's going to save the company is their other software and services without the drag of the hardware business. One significant benefit of maintaining the hardware business is so that he can't be accused of being a patent troll. It seems to be important to him.
    09-18-15 11:51 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sdfsdf.png 
Views:	2617 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	371953

to all those who say the screen isnt curved. Does this prove it is?

Edit: GG Wrong thread, works anyways.
    What it said?
    09-18-15 11:55 AM
    They need to differentiate themselves.

A normal slab phone from BlackBerry won't do anything to the masses, but an Android powered slider with unique features such as pull out keyboard, touch enabled keyboard, BlackBerry Hub, universal touch, and being the first Google supported Secure Android (Shielded Bugdroid during bootup is a nice touch!) will get a lot more attention.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    09-18-15 12:00 PM

A normal slab phone from BlackBerry won't do anything to the masses, but an Android powered slider with unique features such as pull out keyboard, touch enabled keyboard, BlackBerry Hub, universal touch, and being the first Google supported Secure Android (Shielded Bugdroid during bootup is a nice touch!) will get a lot more attention.

Yup.

And if successful, we'll see other form factors I'm sure.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-18-15 12:04 PM
    Hardware looks good, but the software... Sayit ain't so

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
    lift and Indydoc90 like this.
    09-18-15 12:31 PM
    Plastic-ish. There are quite a few high end android phones get more metal than this. My Passport gets more metal than this... not saying this is final hardware, just saying this piece of hardware is not that exciting.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    09-18-15 12:32 PM

Pretty much. And they can continue to build from here adding new features (and new models like passport, all touch, etc) if the Slider meets their definition of success.

Really hoping Chen and Co. Make the price competitive even if it means slimmer margins. It could really help rebuild the company image if they play their cards right. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-18-15 12:40 PM
    Even if it's not a great seller it still serves a purpose of getting people to notice and change perceptions because it differentiates itself from all the generic slabs and innovates like the passport.

Blackberry doesn't get remotely bashed like they did a couple years ago with these recent devices because they are good and unique even if they're not for everyone.

Posted via CB10
    DolemiteDONS and ayngling like this.
    09-18-15 12:46 PM
    BB10 or Android doesn't matter to me, what does is the ease of use and true multitasking capabilities of the UI that BB10 provided. I switched to Android because I had reached a plateau when it came to apps missing on BB10 that are only available on Android or IOS. If BB does a good job of recreating the excellent UI of BB10 on Android it will lure a ton of BB device users back to the fold, who like me dearly miss the hub and true toast notifications etc. The great thing about the Slider is it can be used as an all touch device if one chooses to do so the video posted recently shows its not too thick of a device like some people have been complaining about. Hardware wise the screen and camera must be equal to or better than the S6 edge IMHO for it to be taken seriously by Android users.
    09-18-15 12:47 PM
    I'm very intrigued by the slider. I've used BlackBerry all the way from the 77xx (the one with the wheel on the side for selecting) up to the Z30. Personally, when it was rumored to be running only Android, I was kind of let down. I still think for me, BlackBerry 10 Os is the best Os I've used. After watching the video, hearing some of the BlackBerry enhancements etc, I'm starting to really like it. I'm going to buy this and try it out. If it doesn't do what I need it to do, I'll pass it down to my son and stay with my Z30. Or use them both

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    ayngling likes this.
    09-18-15 12:52 PM
    Well agreed on the hardware, looks damn good. Just hoping the weight is there on the phone, that balance!

Since the 9000, I've loved Blackberry and knowing that all time I have my phone on me, tough and durable. The abuse all my blackberrys have taken is a joke compared to a few Samsung devices - which had a ****ty built and the plastic doesn't help at all.

Only major item with the hardware is the slider, how have they built it? Will it be easily repairable (remembering wayyy back with Samsung sliders we'd open and close when sitting idle). Will it be ale to block a lot of debris from getting in (pocket lint) which can jam it up?

Other than the exterior build, the basics they showed looked nice. Hopefully a full BB10 os will be there, hopefully as the next release.

Let's pray and see!
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-18-15 01:04 PM
    OP, I think the 'gadget' aspect of the device will get lots of people to take a look at it. It's all up to how 'polished' BlackBerry makes it feel once you pick it up. Keep in mind that because Android is so familiar to people, it will not feel 'challenging' to try it.

The problem with BB10 is that it never even got to the first step, so no matter how awesome it is/was, no one was interested enough to even pick it up,.. much less learn how to use it to appreciate it's positives.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 01:09 PM
    Anyone interested ..Here's another
    lift likes this.
    09-18-15 01:23 PM
    OP, I think the 'gadget' aspect of the device will get lots of people to take a look at it. It's all up to how 'polished' BlackBerry makes it feel once you pick it up. Keep in mind that because Android is so familiar to people, it will not feel 'challenging' to try it.

The problem with BB10 is that it never even got to the first step, so no matter how awesome it is/was, no one was interested enough to even pick it up,.. much less learn how to use it to appreciate it's positives.

Posted via CB10
    Definitely they have to shine on the software end from the beginning, no half measures. Actions and shortcuts (via pkb) I really hope will be present and work really well. Combine that with the touch capacitive pkb and I think you'll see a lot of interest in this device.

EDIT: Just saw the Android Authority video above, definitely seems to be some form of shortcuts / quick tasks! If they can carry that across apps, that would be lovely.
    09-18-15 01:27 PM
    This guy has over 1.4 million subs and when I first saw the YouTube vid they only had 1470 views,that was about a half hour ago,now they have over 40,000 views,I haven't seen so much interest in a BB product Ever! Maybe this thing will catch on fire,hope so,lol
    gqmovement and astrodan13 like this.
    09-18-15 01:28 PM
    You again ay.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-18-15 01:50 PM
    You again ay.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, and I see it's you again also. Like I said, if you love android so much, android central would love to have you.
    09-18-15 02:14 PM
    Yeah, and I see it's you again also. Like I said, if you love android so much, android central would love to have you.
    Lol, chill man. This is mobilenations I automatically have an account there

In all seriousness I do like Android but I prefer BB10 more. Just because I speak about android and it's features doesn't mean I'm puting BlackBerry10 or BlackBerry down. I'm waiting for a successor to the Z30 just as you are.

Edit: Not to say I'm not interested in the slider, because I am. I support BlackBerry for its OS and for its brand, playbook be damned lol

Posted via CB10
    lift, kbz1960 and Mecca EL like this.
    09-18-15 02:26 PM
    Hardware looks good, but the software... Sayit ain't so
    Regardless of how you feel about Android, this move was necessary. They tried BB10 but the release was too late, users didn't flock to the platform and over time this discouraged app-devs who would help the app stricken OS.
    00stryder and Mecca EL like this.
    09-18-15 02:30 PM
    Lol, chill man. This is mobilenations I automatically have an account there

In all seriousness I do like Android but I prefer BB10 more. Just because I speak about android and it's features doesn't mean I'm puting BlackBerry10 or BlackBerry down. I'm waiting for a successor to the Z30 just as you are.

Edit: Not to say I'm not interested in the slider, because I am. I support BlackBerry for its OS and for its brand, playbook be damned lol

Posted via CB10
    No problem. Keep posting. You are getting close to the magic 1000.
    sayf777 likes this.
    09-18-15 02:35 PM
    It blows my mind when people look at this phone and say "if I wanted an android there's plenty of cheaper alternatives."

If money is an issue to some and can't afford a 700 dollar phone off contract, then that's their problem. To me the Venice is a flagship device and thus it will be priced as one. And live I've said in other threads, this is the only phone with a physical keyboard running Androi. I was a hardcore Palm Treo and Pre user and I've always loved physical keyboards. I know I'm it the only one.

I'm sure this phone will sell well. College students hammering out essays on this phone all the way to business users replying to clients.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-18-15 02:35 PM
    With this blend, it think /believe (imo) that people will defo jump back onto this. I don't there's that segregated business vs consumer motto anymore.

It's basically, I don't need a laptop - can my phone DO EVERYTHING?? ie: music/stream movies/torrents (I hope so)/edit files/sketch/create a resume/record hi-def sexual adventures/online shopping & mobile banking (knowing it secure).

If they get the blend right and make this balance happen, everyone will flock back. I remember someone noted that moving away from BB was a forced hand because everyone felt the "NEED" for apps..."how will I live without Candy crush for word scramble???" But besides apps, again IMO, they did a kick-*** fcukin job. No matter when trying to stray away from BB, I always came back because it's comfortable, simple, secure, and I don't need to send a text 3 times to make sure its correct. The keyboard is perfect.

Now throw in native apps...we all good
    DolemiteDONS and slade632 like this.
    09-18-15 02:50 PM
83 123 ...