If all that we are hearing is true, this could be a game changer for BlackBerry.

There is a real good chance that BlackBerry's first Android smartphone will outsell everything they've made since the Bold 9900. Thus proving without a shadow of a doubt how big of a mistake BB10 actually was.

BlackBerry's dark ages may finally becoming to an end soon and I'm excited for it. Hopefully the BlackBerry 10 fans won't be too bitter and will continue to support the company. It is fine to love or prefer BB10, but it simply wasn't enough go keep BlackBerry's hardware business around. Hopefully, this Android experiment will be though.

Refusing to buy a Android device from BlackBerry won't do anything to prevent the death of BB10, but it may spell the death of BlackBerry hardware altogether. I for one hope to see many more devices from BlackBerry in the future and I plan on picking up a unlocked slider on day one.
    sentimentGX4 and MO3iusONE like this.
    08-19-15 08:43 AM
    If it really comes to Verizon, I will buy it! I was thinking about getting an LG G4 in November, but now...

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 08:57 AM
    Share what you have son! Pm me!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    Lol I'm just trolling guys haha :P

Don't feed the trolls! :P

Posted via CB10
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    08-19-15 09:11 AM
    Funny how in any render you don't see the BBM icon anywhere...sad.

Posted via CB10
    Or It might be that those renders aren't official ones from neither BlackBerry nor google. As it not only lacks BlackBerry services but most play services like google play music

Celebrating 70th birthday of ROK � 위대한 여정 새로운 도약
    08-19-15 09:35 AM
    Just in time for the Verizon Z30 owners that have had their devices for two years that are looking for a replacement. Count me in.

My bitchin' BlackBerry Z30
    phuoc and yellowhammer like this.
    08-19-15 10:06 AM
    Just in time for the Verizon Z30 owners that have had their devices for two years that are looking for a replacement. Count me in.

Maybe for you but how many are going to jump from a Z30 to a slider?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-19-15 10:27 AM
    Me for one, hope I'm not alone.
    08-19-15 11:35 AM
    So evleaks "confirms" his own rumor.

Not that I doubt it, but a confirmation would be an actual announcement from one of those carriers.

I haven't seen that yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 11:40 AM
    The more this slider phone gets revealed the more bored and disappointed I'm getting. Oh well at least can they design the keyboard to be detachable?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 11:45 AM
    What is so special on Android?

The UI is absolute cr*p, you can't find any settings you want in it, it's spying on you like crazy and doesn't let you turn that off, they can just turn on the microphone and camera and listen to everything you say and even see you.

So what is so special on Android?

I'll get myself another Z30 or maybe a passport so I have another BlackBerry incase this one dies. I have a BlackBerry because it's not Android or iOS. It doesn't make any sense to sell BlackBerry with with Android.

BlackBerry is always claiming how secure they are and that it saves the privacy of the user. And then thinking of running Android?

Soon they will know when everybody goes to the toilet and what comes out. Is BlackBerry then still claiming that it saves the privacy of its users?

It's like Antarctic penguins go into the Sahara and wonder why they're warm. It doesn't make sense.

Maybe it does make sense, maybe BlackBerry did realise that the only way to make money is to lie to people and sell cr*p. It always works. The good stuff never survives. Humans are weird.

Specifically about settings, the number one reason tinkerers and people who like to customize their phones choose Android is because of the diverse settings. I wish I had the option to keep my z30 screen on when charging, but that's only in Android.
    08-19-15 12:04 PM
    I think most Z30 users will be happy with the slider as a full touch device. The Z3 and Leap were both downgrades. Right now, the Z30 is still the second most powerful BlackBerry.
    Gajja likes this.
    08-19-15 12:06 PM
    This will be BlackBerry's best selling device since the Bold. It will outsell any BB10 phone, for sure.

It will be successful enough that BlackBerry would be stupid not to continue to pursue Android OS support.

I even foresee a scenario where BB10 is eventually phased out.

And while some diehard BlackBerry fans are lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks, I think this is absolutely a great thing for the company and probably the only way they can make their smartphone business profitable again.

All that said, BlackBerry is going to have an extremely difficult time convincing me that they've secured Android and its apps. I think the only way they can truly secure it is via BES12, which will not be cost-effective or practical for me.

And so, I will continue to use BB10 - or even BBOS - until EOL.

But I'm still happy and proud of BlackBerry, who are doing what is needed to return to profitability and be successful.

Posted from my Q5 via CB10

Well, I truly hope it is a successful seller. But, the same was expected for the Passport. As far as returning to profitability and being successful, keep hope alive. I'll stick with needing a successful seller- 1st. Otherwise, we may not ever see another "Full Touch".......and for others- keeping the Slider keyboard closed is not the same. I'll be a bit more positive- if all the carriers mentioned have the Slider on display in stores......not just call or go online and order. That would indicate much needed support from the carriers. Then, maybe a few commercials. I know- wishful thinking for the last part.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and tmf06 like this.
    08-19-15 12:52 PM
    On paper, this should sell well.

It has Google Play support
    It has the BlackBerry PKB
    It even has the BlackBerry touch keyboard
    It's Android.
    It also has good enough specs to entice the spec hungry crowd.

The biggest thing about this phone is that it finally has apps. BlackBerry is releasing a phone that has Google's 1.4 million apps and whilst keeping the "BlackBerry Experience" intact. This is the device that people (the non die-hard BB fans) have been wanting BB to release in years.
    08-19-15 01:06 PM

It's Android.

The biggest thing about this phone is that it finally has apps. BlackBerry is releasing a phone that has Google's 1.4 million apps and whilst keeping the "BlackBerry Experience" intact. This is the device that people (the non die-hard BB fans) have been wanting BB to release in years.
    That's how I'm feeling right now. I love my Q10 but wish the android apps I use ran smoother, giving me a better app experience than it currently does. A BB phone with full android app support and a PKB sounds perfect. I am due for an upgrade with ATT in December but can switch now to their new Next plans if I wanted. Was going to, actually, to get the Note 5 (even if it lacks the SD slot and has a small-ish battery). I guess I can wait a bit longer... or switch now and sell the Note once this is released?
    Back on topic, this phone is a great sounding device (unless you're 100% against Android) and it might sell well enough to keep BB in the game. Carrier exclusivity has never been a smart move, in my opinion, so releasing on all major carriers is a big plus.

Edit: I read it might come in 2 versions, Android and BB10, so if that's true... everyone should be happy.
    Z30Commission likes this.
    08-19-15 01:23 PM

It's Android.

From the render, and the report of no quick access to the hub and lack of gesture, what "BlackBerry experience" are you referring to? In the render I see a stock Android phone, with a BlackBerry PKB. with no BBM icon or any BlackBerry icon at all, BlackBerry name on the phone and that's it. BBOS was the experience, BB10 was the experience, putting you name on a Android powered phone with little modification is not an experience, it is being yet another soon to be poor selling Android OEM.

Posted via Z30
    08-19-15 01:26 PM
    From the render, and the report of no quick access to the hub and lack of gesture, what "BlackBerry experience" are you referring to? In the render I see a stock Android phone, with a BlackBerry PKB. with no BBM icon or any BlackBerry icon at all, BlackBerry name on the phone and that's it. BBOS was the experience, BB10 was the experience, putting you name on a Android powered phone with little modification is not an experience, it is being yet another soon to be poor selling Android OEM.

Posted via Z30
    That's just a generic android screenshot slapped onto a render. We've seen from other shots that Blackberry apps will be included and I'm sure they will be on the homescreen.
    08-19-15 01:42 PM

It's Android.

On paper the HTC One M9 will blow this thing away in specs...
    On paper HTC spends a lot on advertising....
    On paper HTC is a well known smartphone manufacture...
    On paper HTC sales are pitiful....

So I'm not sure that just going Android is going to change BlackBerry's sales figures overnight.

And sadly their KEY customer.... Enterprise is going to be knocked for a loop by yet another platform change from BlackBerry. So don't expect enterprise sales to suddenly skyrocket. Everyone is going to want time to see what the BlackBerry experience is... does it fill some need, and then to look hard at BlackBerry the company and consider their ability to continue to support this new direction. BlackBerry is going to have to do some damage control with some of their big enterprise customers that "bought into" BB10.
    lift, gvs1341, srb151 and 1 others like this.
    08-19-15 01:51 PM
    Well, I can tell you one person who is interested in that phone: my wife... she is a former BlackBerry user, now using a Samsung which she hates... so, if you give to a customer like her, a device with all the apps and physical keyboard plus some extras (as the hub) some of them will be interested... does that mean that BlackBerry will sell millions? Nope... but BlackBerry doesn't need to sell millions...

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 02:15 PM
    Well, I can tell you one person who is interested in that phone: my wife... she is a former BlackBerry user, now using a Samsung which she hates... so, if you give to a customer like her, a device with all the apps and physical keyboard plus some extras (as the hub) some of them will be interested... does that mean that BlackBerry will sell millions? Nope... but BlackBerry doesn't need to sell millions...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah... they really do need it to sell millions of the Slider.

With only two new devices a year and two or there older devices.... Everyone of them needs to sell a million and the new flagships need to sell a couple each. If BlackBerry is going to stay in this business, they need to start marketing, they need to doing R&D.... they need to start spending money, in order to make money. This hording every penny is keeping the doors open, but their overall business is slowly dying.

So they NEED to sell millions in order to increase revenues and profits, so those profits can go towards the future of the company and further growth.
    JeepBB and Blacklatino like this.
    08-19-15 02:57 PM
    Yup, they've already sold two. Just waiting on color options.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-19-15 04:25 PM
    It looks as if the Android OS has helped BBRY a lot already, at least in terms of convincing carriers to carry their product.

(Definitely not convinced that all the carriers would be on board of selling a BB10 device. Fairly confident the slider will have an Android version at this point.)
    08-19-15 05:10 PM
    so interesting to see what the secret sauce is that will make carriers and individuals pick it.
    An Android device doesn't need a super secret sauce to be picked by a carrier. They all pick up Samsung, HTC, LG, etc.

There's no way this phone can go massively wrong like the Z10. If the phone doesn't sell well, all BBRY/carriers need to do is slash the price by $100 or $150 and inventory will clear. No risk of billion dollar write downs or other shenanigans.

That's not saying that Android will help BBRY hardware turn a profit or save the company but just that it's relatively low risk for everybody involved.
    08-19-15 05:20 PM
    One thing this device will have going for it is the availability at the major US carriers. Most consumers I know want to go to a store and actually demo the device. People interested in my Z30 weren't willing to spend the money by purchasing online. The majority of cell phone users I know don't follow Mobile Nations and buy what they had previously or what a salesperson recommends. Sales people have a hard time selling devices that aren't stocked. This is key to any device succeeding.

08-19-15 07:24 PM
    So ummm.... where's the home button?!?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 10:52 PM
    Interesting... I don't know if I am missing something and since I have never used an android device maybe that's not the case but don't all they have the home button? And, if so, where it is in this slider device?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 11:22 PM
117 12345