$799 equal 799 EUR +VAT. In EU will be tough for Venice at that price
    How much is the Samsung S6 Edge?
    09-19-15 02:39 PM
    How much is the Samsung S6 Edge?
    649 EUR at MediaMarkt incl. VAT

Posted via Blackberry Passport
    09-19-15 02:45 PM
    A lot of the "fire" will die down once folks find out the price of the phone.
    I think the deciding factor is the availability on carrier stores and how cooperative the reps are plus some decent marketing

The pop-up store in Germany is a nice move that I wish to see repeating in promising markets
    09-19-15 02:52 PM
    It's $799, just sayin'
    Canadian right?

So... like $299 USD?

Lol jk

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 02:54 PM
    649 EUR at MediaMarkt incl. VAT
    Thanks. I really really hope it will be no more expensive than this. It is a premium device, but they'll get hit hard if it is more than that. "Blackberry is being unreasonable again" etc etc. I hope they are aiming to earn nothing on this device but a gain in reputation if it costs them close to 649 EUR to produce it + what carriers are expecting to make.

I don't want it to be cheap, just not more than the S6 Edge.
    09-19-15 03:06 PM
    I hope the slider can succeed BUT I have to admit that I do not know of one person who wants a PKB. I just can not imagine a PKB revival.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:25 PM
    Android sites sink good devices all the time. They have their favorites and then the boast how good they are for a few days or weeks then move on to the next device.

HTC has always made great phones, but they are lost in a sea of android.

I think venice is about selling BES and then selling BES and then selling BES and if a few people pick it up then that is good too.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 04:12 PM
    I don't know how long BlackBerry is working on the Slider software but obviously they have managed to build the Hub, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes, Password Keeper and much more alongside securing and customizing Android in just a couple of months. The other manufacturers took years to build and improve their Apps and Customizations. That's impressive what BlackBerry did there!

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 04:21 PM
    Everyone wants the slider to be released with top end current specs but are unwilling to pay for it, it seems.
    There is a difference between high priced or overpriced.
    If they really want to hit, they should be able to release it around 699.
    It would make some people jump on it faster, way faster.

I'm used to the overpricing so it's not a problem for me,but is is for a lot of other users.

Posted via CB10
    will308 likes this.
    09-19-15 04:40 PM
    This looks epic!

SD808 is the best bet for the time being, I don't want a heater, I want a phone. Aside from the Samsung exynos the SD808 is the most consistent and fast chip available the 810 has issues, big issues.
    Blackberry have made the right choice, it's still the equal of the rest of the flagships available, including the rest of the devices to be released at the end of the year. The 820 is a long way away and BlackBerry can't afford to wait.

3GB of ram is sufficient, if you use it right. The galaxy devices released this year have issues with ram usage and as long as BlackBerry don't bloat their software out too much then it should be fine and it looks like they haven't toyed around with android too much.

The big question is going to be battery! If they crack this it will be the perfect android, I don't think I could give up my passport though.

...Still, nothing wrong with carrying two phones around!

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 04:45 PM
    This looks epic!

SD808 is the best bet for the time being, I don't want a heater, I want a phone. Aside from the Samsung exynos the SD808 is the most consistent and fast chip available the 810 has issues, big issues.
    Blackberry have made the right choice, it's still the equal of the rest of the flagships available, including the rest of the devices to be released at the end of the year. The 820 is a long way away and BlackBerry can't afford to wait.

3GB of ram is sufficient, if you use it right. The galaxy devices released this year have issues with ram usage and as long as BlackBerry don't bloat their software out too much then it should be fine and it looks like they haven't toyed around with android too much.

The big question is going to be battery! If they crack this it will be the perfect android, I don't think I could give up my passport though.

...Still, nothing wrong with carrying two phones around!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah i posted a link in a other forum which compared the 808 and 810.
    810 IS faster but has some heating issues which lowers the performance.
    808 chip is stable, fast and reliable

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 04:51 PM
    There are the top trending threads on Android Authority, Venice article is number 3

The Slider is on fire!-venice-trending.jpg
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    09-19-15 05:20 PM
    Yeah i posted a link in a other forum which compared the 808 and 810.
    810 IS faster but has some heating issues which lowers the performance.
    808 chip is stable, fast and reliable

Posted via CB10
    Especially as most manufacturers throttle down the 820 with software measures in order to prevent overheating.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 05:48 PM
    I'm glad to see large amounts of excitement for BlackBerry outside of CrackBerry. The Slider is going to be a huge winner for them.
    nonamenomore likes this.
    09-19-15 05:49 PM
    Especially as most manufacturers throttle down the 820 with software measures in order to prevent overheating.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, but even then it gets hot! Sony have apparently put 2 heatpipes in the z5 trying to tame the beast. Even on these under clocked chips, you still see degradation in performance after subsequent benchmarks or after a couple of minutes of gaming.

If they had used the 810 there's a good chance it would literally be "on fire" and this thread title would be even more appropriate.

Posted via CB10
    Xaiux likes this.
    09-19-15 06:12 PM
    Is it too early for us slider fans to say "IN YOUR FACE, SLIDER HATERS!"?

Yes, it is. But IN YOUR FACE, SLIDER HATERS! anyway.

I hope the slider can succeed BUT I have to admit that I do not know of one person who wants a PKB. I just can not imagine a PKB revival.
    How do you know? Have you asked everyone you know, or do you base it on whether or not people make unsolicited statements like "I do not want a PKB on my mobile device" near you? You know, colleagues you pass in the hall at work, the guy at Starbucks that makes your coffee... are people spontaneously compelled to express their mobile device keyboard preferences when you are present?

I don't think people who say they don't know anybody who wants a PKB really know what they don't know.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-19-15 at 06:48 PM.
    09-19-15 06:37 PM
    Is it too early for us slider fans to say "IN YOUR FACE, SLIDER HATERS!"?

Yes, it is. But IN YOUR FACE, SLIDER HATERS! anyway.

How do you know? Have you asked everyone you know, or do you base it on whether or not people make unsolicited statements like "I do not want a PKB on my mobile device" near you? You know, colleagues you pass in the hall at work, the guy at Starbucks that makes your coffee... are people spontaneously compelled to express their mobile device keyboard preferences when you are present?

I don't think people who say they don't know anybody who wants a PKB really know what they don't know.
    Yeah,.. most people simply 'come to terms' with what they can easily get, and a physical keyboard was not one of those things (certainly not in the US).

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 06:50 PM
    I have to say looking at it at different angles makes the key board look cheapish,IMO,

At .48 seconds you get a good look of the keyboard,judge for yourself,
    09-19-15 06:54 PM
    I have to say looking at it at different angles makes the key board look cheapish,IMO,

At .48 seconds you get a good look of the keyboard,judge for yourself,
    .....This video is a CONCEPT, based off the prototype of the slider.... This isn't final hardware.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    09-19-15 06:59 PM
    Plenty of former BBRY fans in my circle of friends, colleagues, and acquaintances, across multiple social media platforms, have been extremely excited about the Slider since the rumors first surfaced of a possible Android BlackBerry. Many of whom gave BB10 a shot and chose to move on.

This is what the Venice is all about. It has the attention of some Android fans. It has the attention of some of the open minded BlackBerry faithful. And it has the attention of some former BlackBerry users/fans, who miss BlackBerry but don't like BB10.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 07:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well... I for one am dying for a PKB.

I have had a lot of flagship Android devices. Starting with the Motorola Original Droid, then 16 more variations, and now on the Nexus 6.

I'll be buying this phone ☎ the day it is available for pre-order.

In the words of Mr. Waternoose, "I'd kidnap a thousand kids," to get back on a PKB. I'd pay $800 for it, no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    09-19-15 07:41 PM
    I really am not a sad sack! But do not lose sight of the fact that Chen was hired to bring BlackBerry to profitibility and increase the value of the brand. He was not brought in to ensure that BlackBerry takes back market share to great extent but simply get the price of stock back to a good level. If BlackBerry stock ever hits $30 you can be sure BlackBerry will be up for sale to satisfy their corporate responsibilities. His strategy at this point is not yet to be considered solid, if the Slider sells wildly then BlackBerry goes up for sale, if the Slider does not sell wildly then it's time to admit defeat. Still love BB10 and my Passport but with BlackBerry at less than one percent share....

Passport SQW 100-1 OS 10.3.2.2639 Winnipeg,MB
    09-19-15 08:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    well now, you know of one...me! i'm physically disabled and STRONGLY prefer the ease of typing on a pkb.
    09-19-15 10:47 PM
    There is a huge market for flagship phones - always has been. I don't think this is a problem.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    In the last year or so, Android has become a budget OS. iOS has pretty much won the high end in the US and you can expect other developing countries will follow this trend. I don't know of any Android OEM's who are making significant money on the high end. Not even Sammy.

I expect to see Microsoft compete a bit with Apple with their forthcoming premium Lumia devices, but they have their own platform. BlackBerry with Mike and Thor was in the same game with Microsoft, but with Chen's horrible performance on developing BlackBerry10 and it's ecosystem, it looks like BlackBerry will be about selling devices with a custom Android ROM and some apps. If that's true, the future potential is way, way less bright than it could have been, but BlackBerry should be able to sell more devices and Chen can declare victory for stupid people who can swallow that irony. The challenge at this lower level is to differentiate. The physical keyboard is a strong differentiator and security may be a strong differentiator, but right now, I'm not certain that the Moto X Style isn't just an obviously better phone for most people at a much lower price. The OnePlus 2 is a low cost beast, as well....

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-19-15 11:19 PM
    In the last year or so, Android has become a budget OS. iOS has pretty much won the high end in the US and you can expect other developing countries will follow this trend. I don't know of any Android OEM's who are making significant money on the high end. Not even Sammy.

I expect to see Microsoft compete a bit with Apple with their forthcoming premium Lumia devices, but they have their own platform. BlackBerry with Mike and Thor was in the same game with Microsoft, but with Chen's horrible performance on developing BlackBerry10 and it's ecosystem, it looks like BlackBerry will be about selling devices with a custom Android ROM and some apps. If that's true, the future potential is way, way less bright than it could have been, but BlackBerry should be able to sell more devices and Chen can declare victory for stupid people who can swallow that irony. The challenge at this lower level is to differentiate. The physical keyboard is a strong differentiator and security may be a strong differentiator, but right now, I'm not certain that the Moto X Style isn't just an obviously better phone for most people at a much lower price. The OnePlus 2 is a low cost beast, as well....

Posted via CB10
    Well, I wouldn't say that android is a budget OS. Google has their stripped out version of Android called Android One which is suppose to be made for lower ends handsets.

I mean you can purchase a Motorola E for as little as $55 bucks. Sure it's s low end phone with so slow specs but that's why it's so cheap.

The you have those high end android devices that are usually in the 600 to 700 price range. Phones like the S6, LG G4 etc.

Then for the super wealthy there's Vertu but I'd never pay 20k for a phone.

As with the Venice you're right, there are better alternatives if it wasn't for the physical keyboard. To be honest with you, If the Venice lacked the sliding keyboard I wouldn't be paying much attention to it.

I think this is a perfect opportunity for blackberry to reinvent themselves and offer this phone as an alternative to the S6 and more 5, people who are either tired of ios or about to finish their 2 year contract or people like me who miss using a phone with a physical keyboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-20-15 12:36 AM
242 12345 ...